Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski"2001" vs. Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski"2001" vs. Sport
    Posted: October-22-2006 at 8:39am
I've been looking for a good 2001 for a while and it seems like all the nice ones are 12k to 15k, which is fine and I dont mind paying for a nice boat, but I found a '94 sport for 15k. The sport looks in good shape with low engine hours(350)and the seller said he would meet me half way. My real question is which boat has a better wake? I know the sport is newer, nicer, bigger, more storage, less hours and a better engine. Did I just anwser my own question? Also, is it the same hull as the super air?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 11:06am
Woody....There are several posts on "wakes" if you do some searching! What type of skiing are you doing? Wakeboarding?
The Sport with those low hours sounds pretty good!
Check out the Diary sect. Keith Bagley (the site host)has one of the nicest 2001 boats around for sale under 12K! That one is the Silver Nautique Aniversery!

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 11:13am
I just wakeboard. I've read everything I could about thes two boats. I have never seen the wake's put up against each other
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 11:42am
Woody-

I have been told the wake behind the Sport is excellent for wakeboarding. Keiths' boat sure looks nice too!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 11:51am
In that case...I would opt for the sport.

Throw a tower on it. The extra storage and open bow room is a bonus. 350 hrs...is very low!

The 2001...throw a good wake...but if it's Keiths fine boat...adding a tower would be a crime!
stang

The Super Air

great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 1:26pm
Add a tower to the sport and you have an Air. I like the old school boats alot but havent seen towers that complement them well. I considered a tower for my 78 but with the sport instead. They are great boats for boarding and skiing and when you ride around in one you'll know its the right decision. Good Luck
woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 1:41pm
Keith's boat is nice, but have you seen Robert brown's boat. Both boats would look good wiht a tower,bimini and board racks.

Can anybody tell me what boat puts off a better wakeboard wake?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 2:29pm
No! No towers on certain boats!Keiths boat should be preserved!
However...the sport...perfectly fine!

These all the rules(sorta)
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 2:48pm
Do what stang says: search on "wake" and you'll get your answers. They're both good boats and we'd all be excited for you to join the Nautique family.

If someone put a tower on the silver nautique I might pack up the cutting torch, make the long drive to pick up Gary, find the boat and cut the tower into very small pieces. Oh...I'd probably also sneak in the owner's home and loosen the lids on all the salt shakers.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 3:08pm
The Dude...
stang

The Super Air

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 3:19pm
Woody, both boats can put out excellent wakeboard wakes.

The 82-89 Ski Nautiques have become beloved as wakeboard boats because they can be purchased relatively inexpensively, put out a better wakeboard wake than any of the older ski boats, and are Nautiques. On the downside, the 82-89 were constructed with wood in the floors and stringers. As such, they are subject to rot.

The 94 Sport can be an excellent wakeboard boat. It has composite construction, meaning it has no wood in the floors or stringers. It has more room for people, gear and fatsacs. In my opinion, it is also a little more stable than the 82-89 SN when loaded up with a bunch of weight.   When empty, the Ski Nautique will always handle a little better than the Sport Nautique.

I don't know that either boat has a better wake than the other. The 82-89 might be slightly steeper and narrower. However, you can always ride on a longer rope if you want a wider wake.

I have seen world cla$$ riders go big on both boats. It's more about the rider, and the owners personal preference, than the wake.

If it were me, I'd go with the 94. Newer boat, bigger boat, no wood. BKH
Livin' the Dream

woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 4:41pm
If it were me, I'd go with the 94. Newer boat, bigger boat, no wood. BKH

I am leaning toward the sport for the same reasons.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2006 at 8:44pm
If your talking even money I agree there is no question the 94 is the way to go, but if you can't find a nice 2001 for 8k your just not looking hard enough, still probably worth it to pick up a sport for 15, but to me 8k is cash and 15k is a loan...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 6:09am
Also the boat is located in central N.C. and the guy says he dosn't winterize it. Should I be concerned about it.

How much weight do I need to use to get a good wake and keep in mind I am far from a pro. I was thinking that I would use 5-600 lbs of lead and just trailer it the five min. I live from the river.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 9:44am
As long as it hasn't frozen I wouldn't be worried about it. I would say in NC, in a garage, probably wouldn't need to winterize...
woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 1:21pm
It's not in a garage. It has a roof, but no sides.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 2:42pm
If he drained the water from the block and mannifolds there would be no chance of freezing the block.
The previous owner of my CC did not winterize the last two years. He had it in a garage and he did drain the block, but did not even drain the manifolds (he said he couldn't get the plugs out?) and everything is fine. No cracked block here, and I am in NE Ohio. From what I understand It has to be well below freezing for a few days before it will freeze.

BTW - I have to agree with The Dude on the issue of the tower on the Silver.

Well put Dude!

AS long as the block is not cracked etc. (No water mixed in the oil...

I would say in NC. It would be fine... just my $.02

Take it out and run it before you buy, if all seems good. Go for it
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

If he drained the water from the block and mannifolds there would be no chance of freezing the block.

NOT TRUE!

There are voids in the engine where the water can freeze. This is why you should winterize it under pressure (running) when you winterize it.

Make sure you check the transmission cooler, the casting below the water pump, the water pump, and thermostat housing.

Tim
woody26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 3:19pm
He said that it would get cold but never stay cold, so there was no need to winterize.

I think I may have found a better boat anyway.
95 Sport with 161 hours for 15,500 and it's a correct craft dealer selling the boat. I tried to call them, but it's closed on mondays. Should I worry about the low hours and the boat mabey sitting alot? It has the 255 hp engine and the 94 has the 310hp, does it matter?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 3:46pm

NOT TRUE!

There are voids in the engine where the water can freeze. This is why you should winterize it under pressure (running) when you winterize it.

Make sure you check the transmission cooler, the casting below the water pump, the water pump, and thermostat housing.

Tim[/QUOTE]

OK OK I was just going by what I have read here... I have read others only drain the block and mannifolds... that the antifreeze is really only for corrosion protection. but what you say make sense.
I know I will always winterize mine with antifreeze.

Tim- What do you mean when you say under pressure (running). Do you mean suck the antifreeze up with the intake hose while it is running. I know I have read alot of people pour the antifreeze down the hose with the engine off. I havn't done mine yet and still trying to determine which way is best...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 4:02pm
You didnt mis-speak Randy. If you successfully drain the block and manifolds, you dont need to refill with antifreeze. You do want to make sure you get all the water though- tranny cooler, water pump and strainer are key spots.

I fill my block with antifreeze, but I think my boat was simply drained prior to me owning it. I fill it rather than draw it in- not sure what behindpropellor is referring to when he says "under pressure." Can you clarify?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 5:07pm
When the fluid travels through the block it fills several voids and will mix with the water that will not drain if you simply just drain it.

Running the antifreeze into it will keep these voids from freezing and also give you corrosion protection.

Yes....it needs to get really cold to crack the block in this situation...but it is easy to avoid.

Tim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 5:12pm
So, by "under pressure" you simply mean filling the block with antifreeze?

I agree, its cheap insurance. The corrosion protection is a bonus.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

NOT TRUE!

Tim

OK OK I was just going by what I have read here... I have read others only drain the block and mannifolds... that the antifreeze is really only for corrosion protection. but what you say make sense.
I know I will always winterize mine with antifreeze.

Tim- What do you mean when you say under pressure (running). Do you mean suck the antifreeze up with the intake hose while it is running. I know I have read alot of people pour the antifreeze down the hose with the engine off. I havn't done mine yet and still trying to determine which way is best...[/QUOTE]

Randy-

I typically have two 5 gallon buckets.

One with the antifreeze solution in it and another with the fresh water ( garden hose running into it, yes you have to watch the level) . Pull the water intake hose off at the water strainer and stick it in the clean bucket to run it. If you have a hot water shower you can dump that into the fresh water bucket to heat the engine quicker. When the engine is warm, turn off the hot water shower, block off the PSS (if you have one) and then switch the hose to the solution bucket. Once you do that you can spray in the carb (while it is running) with the fogging oil. Kill the engine as the antifeeze runs out and you are done. Check the block for anti-freeze and put it away. Just make sure your temp is up to 160 when you switch buckets!

Tim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

So, by "under pressure" you simply mean filling the block with antifreeze?

I agree, its cheap insurance. The corrosion protection is a bonus.

Yes filling the block, but it also has some pressure via the pump rather than just filling it with a funnel and hoping all of the voids are full.

Tim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 5:34pm
By using your method, you stand the risk of diluting the mixture. Its a much better practice to drain the block and manifolds of water before refilling with antifreeze. Thats the method PCM recommends, you use less antifreeze and its much simpler to do. If you raise the hose used for filling above the height of the motor, gravity will make sure all the voids are filled. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2006 at 5:59pm
Well...

You do it your way, I'll do it my way. Makes no difference to me.

Tim
862001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 862001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 2:53pm
My dealer doeas not add anti freeze to the motor, (NH)just drain and leave plugs out.
John,Fremont,NH
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by 862001 862001 wrote:

My dealer doeas not add anti freeze to the motor, (NH)just drain and leave plugs out.

because he wants the rebuild job in the future after the block corroids, scales up and cracks, it's cast iron its going to rust internally laying up empty four months in high moisture enviroment.

waiste of time sucking up through pick-up with out the t-stat open, so if you have to remove the t-stat anyway its a lot easier, quicker, won"t be deluted in area's and takes half as much anti-freeze to get the job done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic