NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 GT40 Turns over, Wont Run

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 GT40 Turns over, Wont Run
    Posted: May-10-2021 at 7:53pm
And as I mentioned as a recommendation as well, NEVER just use a battery charger without the battery connected.  Battery chargers are very 'noisy' and are not intended to power anything but lights or help with the starter.  Batteries don't need clean/smooth DC.  Your electronics do.  It's okay if you are using a battery-powered jumper box because that is 'clean' DC.  But anything that plugs into an AC outlet is suspect.

It sucks that FSTS2k had his ECM fried most probably from the mechanic that used a charger to power it; hard to prove who did it.  But a good lesson for the rest of us.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2021 at 6:17pm
Kevin,
Thanks for filling me in. Yes, I should have gone back to the first post. Embarrassed

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2021 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by fsts2k fsts2k wrote:

Boat is in the water and runs perfectly, stored on the lift for the summer. The ECM must have gotten smoked with the battery charger...

Kevin,
Do you keep a charger connected when you aren't using the boat? 

Fill us in on why you feel the battery charger damaged the ECM. 

Hello, thanks for the question I don't keep it on a charger. From my first post: 

"I pulled our 2002 Ski Nautique out of storage today, dropped it in the lake, hit the starter and it would turn over but not fire..  Over the winter I had the mechanic replace the speakers and headunit along with a few other things. While they were testing the stereo they didn't have the battery in the boat but instead powered it via battery charger. I was there when they powered it up and it clearly didn't have enough amps but they never tried to fire the boat. I have no idea if that impacted this...."

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2021 at 4:39pm

Boat is in the water and runs perfectly, stored on the lift for the summer. The ECM must have gotten smoked with the battery charger...

Kevin,
Do you keep a charger connected when you aren't using the boat? 

Fill us in on why you feel the battery charger damaged the ECM. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2021 at 12:52pm
Indeed! My spare inventory is growing. Hoping to avoid burning out the ECU in the future
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2021 at 8:15pm
You got out of it relatively cheap and you have a couple of spare relays to boot. Wink

I'd look around at places that repair the ECMs and if the price is reasonable you could end up getting the bad one fixed and in the spare parts bin.
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Glad you are sorting it out.  I have a GT 40 also so I know some day this might be my boat we are discussing.  Hope it fires right up and runs perfect.  You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what pressure is in the system just by turning the key without starting the boat.  Could also hook up a water source and run it in the driveway.  Might save a trip to the lake or give you confidence to pack an ice chest and go out and play.  There was some amazing help offered walking you through this repair.

Agree on the amazing help! 

Thanks for all the support here. 

The silver lining of this was that with the boat on the trailer at the house I was able scrub the carpet and perform a full deep clean I have not been able to do in the past. Now if the weather would just turn...

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 9:40pm
Glad you are sorting it out.  I have a GT 40 also so I know some day this might be my boat we are discussing.  Hope it fires right up and runs perfect.  You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what pressure is in the system just by turning the key without starting the boat.  Could also hook up a water source and run it in the driveway.  Might save a trip to the lake or give you confidence to pack an ice chest and go out and play.  There was some amazing help offered walking you through this repair.
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 8:38pm
New ECU is in.. fuel pump appears to turn on.. wiil dunk it on Saturday and see if it actually runs. 

Thanks for all the help
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 7:20pm

Happy to share what I have found:
- PM t.franscion at PlanetNautique.com to see if he is willing to burn the chip and if so do the following
- Ford ECU Part Number: F1ZF-12A650-AB
- Buy the F3V2 Chip from www.moates.net
- Ship both ECU and Chips to yourself.. assemble? I have not done this step yet

Sorry, I missed one step on shipping. You will need to have Moates ship the chip to t.franscion to make the updates, it is then shipped to you. 
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 6:28pm
Wow, didn't expect to see a link to moates.net on here. I used to order chips and burners from there around 10 years ago to write custom maps for turbo Hondas 
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 5:52pm
Happy to share what I have found:
- PM t.franscion at PlanetNautique.com to see if he is willing to burn the chip and if so do the following
- Ford ECU Part Number: F1ZF-12A650-AB
- Buy the F3V2 Chip from www.moates.net
- Ship both ECU and Chips to yourself.. assemble? I have not done this step yet
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 3:36pm
Try doing a search,it's been discussed many times here and on PN since 2017. Matter of fact there are 11 pages on just one thread on PN alone.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 3:12pm
Please provide sources.  Most of us will be in the market at some point in time.
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2021 at 12:56pm
In an abundance of caution I just purchased a new Moates Chip, a F1ZF12A650AB used ECU, and will pay to have the Chip programmed. Worst case, it is a backup option once things arrive
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 10:28pm
The boat and I (now) are up in Lake Geneva WI
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Cut that big cable tie at the top of the boot,pull the boot down then remove the 4 screws of the cover. On the bottom of the ecm will be the 60 pin plug. You disconnect it from the ecm by backing out the 10mm headed bolt located in the center of that 60 pin plug. As you loosen it it "pulls" for the want of a better word the plug out of its connection

Thanks! Will work on it this week. Pulled the boot down and decided to let it be for the night.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 7:29pm
Where you at in the Chicago area?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 7:24pm
Cut that big cable tie at the top of the boot,pull the boot down then remove the 4 screws of the cover. On the bottom of the ecm will be the 60 pin plug. You disconnect it from the ecm by backing out the 10mm headed bolt located in the center of that 60 pin plug. As you loosen it it "pulls" for the want of a better word the plug out of its connection
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 7:00pm
Thank you, will work on it
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 6:28pm
It's the big connector under this boot at the bottom of the plastic cover (arrow points to cable).

fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

ok.. pulled ECM relay (the relay next to fuel pump relay), grounded STO connector but the pump will not fire now. 

I defer to Keno and those with a lot more experience with the ECM, etc.

I wouldn't defer to me about anything.........it's a group effort Wink

You should be able to put that jumper in and start the engine unless there are other issues. I seem to think GunDriver might have run his boat with a bit of a "rig job" like this for a while due to pretty much the same or similar issues with the fuel pumps.

Here's an old thread that you may not want to read in the link, his issue was somewhat like yours and after lots of pages of discussion and testing, he ended up with a new ECM.

I don't think anybody wants to see that be the case though.

More head scratching to do.

One thing might be to unplug the ECM 60 pin connector, make sure all the terminals look clean and the ground looks clean.

Thanks, will read. Not feeling perfect about this. Where do I find the ECM 60 pin connector? On the back of the engine under the plastic cover? 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 3:15pm

ok.. pulled ECM relay (the relay next to fuel pump relay), grounded STO connector but the pump will not fire now. 

I defer to Keno and those with a lot more experience with the ECM, etc.

I wouldn't defer to me about anything.........it's a group effort Wink

You should be able to put that jumper in and start the engine unless there are other issues. I seem to think GunDriver might have run his boat with a bit of a "rig job" like this for a while due to pretty much the same or similar issues with the fuel pumps.

Here's an old thread that you may not want to read in the link, his issue was somewhat like yours and after lots of pages of discussion and testing, he ended up with a new ECM.

I don't think anybody wants to see that be the case though.

More head scratching to do.

One thing might be to unplug the ECM 60 pin connector, make sure all the terminals look clean and the ground looks clean.

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 3:00pm
So, if you want to test to see if the ECM and ignition are working, you can always hook up a hose (or put the boat in the water), jump the STO to ground (so the pumps start), and then try to start the engine.  If it starts, then at least you know the ECM and ignition is working.  Of course, it could be that the ECM got somewhat fried and doesn't ground the fuel pump relay but otherwise is working.  But if it does start, there are some work-arounds that are reasonably safe that would allow you to use the boat (while you are looking for the root cause (or sourcing a replacement ECM)).  But if you manually turn the pumps on and try to start it, but it just cranks and doesn't, while it's not a good outcome, at least we're getting closer.  
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 2:25pm

I defer to Keno and those with a lot more experience with the ECM, etc.  I don't know what result we're looking for with the ECM relay removed.  I'm just hoping that the mechanic using a battery charger to power the boat electronics didn't somehow messed up what the computer is supposed to be doing (grounding the fuel pump relay).

I have the same worry... I am a little lost where to go next here
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 2:22pm

I defer to Keno and those with a lot more experience with the ECM, etc.  I don't know what result we're looking for with the ECM relay removed.  I'm just hoping that the mechanic using a battery charger to power the boat electronics didn't somehow messed up what the computer is supposed to be doing (grounding the fuel pump relay).
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 2:05pm

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 1:19pm
I'm pretty reasonably really sure that the grounding of the STO connector causing the pumps to run is telling you that both relays are good and all your wiring is good too. In other words, you need two good relays for it to run the pumps, they're not bypassed.

Grounding the connector manually puts in the ground that is normally accomplished by the computer.

As a quick check you could pull the ECM relay and then do the same STO ground and see if the fuel pumps run and post those results.  You should hope I'm wrongWink
fsts2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsts2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 1:00pm
There was confirmation from the mechanic that he did and it didn't change anything. But I didn't see him do it and now I am questioning if he actually did both.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 12:30pm

Ok, feel like an idiot about the STO connector. Just ran out there and jumped it, fuel pumps fired! 

Assume that does mean relay? I will replace both if so. 

Haven't you already replaced both relays (The ECM and the fuel pump relays) with new ones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic