NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Check your alignment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check your alignment
    Posted: August-27-2017 at 7:21am
A friend of mine hadn't checked his alignment and this is a good example of what happens:

Luckily he found the problem before the shaft went aft (no safety collar in 70) hitting the rudder. For those who aren't familiar with the problem, misalignment between the prop shaft and trans coupling causes movement at the interference fit between the two. This causes fretting to the point were only the key and safety set screws are transmitting the power to the shaft and holding the two together. A black smut around the shaft at the coupling bore is a good indicator of fretting.

Check your alignment!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 9:16am
Don't fret Pete. My alignment is perfect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

My only fretting is when Ken works me over!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 9:32am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

My only fretting is when Ken works me over!!

Not really aimed at you Pete but, I was gonna say why does this always happen to "a friend"?

Or why does everything get blamed on the previous owner?

Or the car mechanic?

Or one of your kids?

Or that rock that's been in the same spot for a million years?

Or if you're really asking for trouble, the wife?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 10:47am
So Pete, are you going to use your ability and knowledge and make that shaft into a double taper shaft and save your friend some cash or let him go buy a complete new assembly? BTW don't forget to lap the new one in.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 11:05am
With alignment off that bad to create that much damage have you checked to see what caused the misalignment?? Has he checked the integrity of his stringers yet??
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 11:40am
Better check the tranny rear bearing too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

With alignment off that bad to create that much damage have you checked to see what caused the misalignment?? Has he checked the integrity of his stringers yet??

Duane,
The stringers in this case are a know problem. I don't feel the alignment was off "that bad" but it was the amount of time the boat has been run without an alignment check. I checked with this friend and he told me it was alright to let it be known who he is so, it's Charlie's (brady). He has never checked alignment in over 40 years!! The bad shaft and coupling was the reason he was with me in the Tique on the Three Lakes mini and not in his 70 Cuda.

He's already ordered an ARE shaft.

Chris,
The output bearing in the Velvet is still good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 1:16pm
If I can help out just holler
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 1:37pm
Hope he orders a safety collar too Pete,McMaster Carr has them After seeing what happened to Dave Gwinn's Southwind I put them on anything that didn't have one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2017 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Hope he orders a safety collar too Pete,McMaster Carr has them After seeing what happened to Dave Gwinn's Southwind I put them on anything that didn't have one.

The collar has been discussed but there's not much room between the trans coupling and the shaft gland packing nut on the 1st gen Cuda. In fact, the last Cuda up here that got the ARE, the socket to draw the shaft into the coupling taper had to be ground down in length!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 10:51am
Pete if you have enough room to use that installation socket you will be able to install a split safety collar once you pull the couplers tight. That's what I had to do on the Hurricane to get on one, Mcmaster will have one for about $10-15.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 11:11am
This is what I used on the Mustang

splt collar

or better price
        1978 Mustang (modified)
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 1:30pm
I could use a good straight stainless one inch by thirty six go kart axle.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 9:55am
Charlie's back home in St. Paul so UPS dropped off his new shaft at my house and I'm impressed. In another thread, it was discussed that ARE shafts have been breaking at the woodruff key at the trans end taper. I understand they made a design change which hopefully will fix the problem. Anyway, I mentioned this to Charlie so he decided to get in touch with General Propeller regarding their double taper system. First, it's not an "off the shelf" shaft and coupling. GP requested lots of measuring especially at the trans end where clearance between the coupling and packing gland nut is limited. GP then selects a coupling to suit giving them as much taper length as possible. The ARE's have a rather short and steep taper which from an engineering standpoint has always been a concern of mine. GP also uses a 1/4" square key minimizing material needed to be removed out of the shaft compared to a woodruff key that goes deeper. I assume going to a 1/4" key is what ARE has done with their engineering change??

The General Propeller double taper shaft and coupling

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 10:50am
I wanted to check how close GP's shaft taper was to their coupling so I got out the Prussian Blue. On the ARE's I've installed, their tapers were off and required lapping.

Here's GP's - perfect!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 3:23pm
Good info Pete, I may be in need of it before long. Visually checking my alignment a couple weeks ago after noticing your post, I discovered a slight wobble in the prop shaft. I'll be taking it apart this weekend and seeing if it is a misalignment or a bent shaft. Hopefully just an alignment issue since there's already several other items on my list to repair and/ or replace.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 3:27pm
Joe,
Have you seen the alignment video yet? If not, a link is in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 4:48pm
Yes, I caught the link in a previous post and watched it that night. Mostly very logical stuff, but if you've never done it before the video is a great tool to make sure you don't forget anything. Lots of great tips though
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic