NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower Boom

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower Boom
    Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:20pm
Anybody here got thought's or experience with the tower booms vs pylon booms.

I have a 96 Super Sport and can potentially use either. Tower boom seems like the better option as it won't take up room in the boat.

I have also considered removing the center pylon as we don't do much water skiing.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:50pm
Paul,

Just may want to get in touch with Steve Watkins from this site. He is located in South Carolina and has a new to him Sport 200 with a tower. He told me in passing that he now has a Tower Boom. This comments to me were that there is nothing easy about setting it up for the first time as expected. However, I got the impression that set up and tear down while using it on the water was also a PITA.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 3:01pm
Anyone that I know that has used both greatly prefer the pylon boom. The pylon boom also provides ease of adjustment over the tower boom not to mention the $$ savings
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 5:06pm
I own and have experience with both.   Both BI booms. Currently using a tower boom on my boat.

Huge difference b/w the two.

The pylon boom is very easy to setup and use. I always found it to be an easy thing to setup and remove, even for one person. The tower boom is not. It's a two person job no matter the circumstances and requires you to be in shallow water or on the dock.   The tower boom does not stow well either. A pylon boom can be removed and lay along the sidewall w/o much interior intrusion. The main part of the tower boom has support bars coming off that will not fold flat so it takes up a lot more space than just 2 pieces of pipe laying side by side. To give perspective, it will not stow in the rear trunks of my Sport 200 which leaves me with the need to leave it on the boat all day, take it off and leave it in the back of my truck when I'm not using it, or not take the boom to the lake.     

Boom extensions are not interchangeable between the pylon and tower booms.

Need to adjust the height of your tower boom? It'll take an hour or more.

Have a painted tower? It's going to scratch it.

If I had a choice, I'd use a pylon boom. If the tower boom has an advantage, it's that it stays outside of the boat and doesn't interfere with people walking around in the boat, legroom, etc.

Hope this helps.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 5:16pm
Eddie runs his pylon boom from the stbd side which eliminates the deck space issues. After seeing this I too moved my boom to that side. It also allows him to better communicate with the skier although communicating at a distance is not problem Eddie suffers from. I also run a tower and pylon on my '78. I would never remove it. Way to handy for lots of reasons. When swervy CCF pals come visit I can offer a flat line pull. It gives me someplace to hang my dry bag and of course, the boom mount.
Enjoy.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 2:48pm
Thanks,

Based on the comments, I think the pylon boom is the way to go for me. I am happy to keep the plyon in the boat for now and that's the only real advantage I could see to the tower.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 10:29pm
When I got my 98 Sport I was looking at tower booms. One of my mates sons had a Malibu Response with a BI tower boom. Just watching them struggle to put it up on dry land convinced me that although well constructed it was not very user friendly.
I converted the pylon boom (Cassad I think) that came with my 89 ski to a tower boom with a bit of Aussie redneck engineering .

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2017 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

a bit of Aussie redneck engineering .

boganeering
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic