Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

super sport/air shaft repair & cutlass bearing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Muzz88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muzz88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: super sport/air shaft repair & cutlass bearing
    Posted: November-29-2016 at 8:20am
Hi Fans,
Long time reader, first time post.

Summer is approaching fast here in Australia, so i got a few jobs done that I've been putting off for a couple of seasons.
The prop shaft in my 2002 had a slight bend in it towards the coupling end, you could watch the stuffing box wobble when in gear at idle. The shaft packing was leaky, after adjusting the nut, it would start to drip excessively after only a short period of time and the rubber log hose was swollen due to old age.

So i pulled the rear seat, floor and ballast pumps, then the rudder, removed all the coupling bolts, loosened the safety collar then went ahead and removed the coupling from the shaft. I used the spacer & long bolts method with slight tapping from a hammer. Being under the V-drive access was difficult, but still only took around 1/2 hour to remove.

The cutlass bearing had slight play, not as bad as i expected for 800 hours but i ordered new bearings while its apart and for proper alignment on re-assembly.

After putting the shaft on some make shift V-blocks with dial gauge i measured it was over 4 thousandths out.

I marked the high spot on the shaft and used a shop press to put pressure opposite the spot i marked.

I spent quite some time back and forth checking, marking, pressing........

After about an hour of this, i was able to get it to within 1 thousandth, i couldn't get any better as the high point would just keep moving to a different spot and i was chasing my tale. (excuse the metric gauge)

Once the shaft was done i removed the old cutlass bearings from the strut using a hack saw to cut a slot through the shell then a hammer and chisel to tap them out, I then cleaned up the inside of the strut and installed the new bearings. My strut had two 3" bearings from factory so i just replaced with the same. I ended up using composite shell cutlass bearings from my local store ('Exalto' brand)

Some threaded rod and large washers done the trick to pull them both in nicely. I marked the shells so i could line up the channels of each rubber bearing.

Prop shaft went in with new 3/16" GFO packing, fresh bolts & log hose. I warmed up the shaft coupling for a bout an hour in the oven and it slipped on nicely.

Then onto the alignment, I raised the front motor mounts 1/4 turn at a time until the alignment was spot on...... then bolted it all up. The shaft spins freely by hand now, unlike before.
The rudder also received some new GFO packing (1/4") when re-assembling, that and some fresh grease.....steering is silky smooth.

I water tested it before re-fitting the back seat and ballast pumps etc. At first i had the shaft packing nut a little tight, it was getting hot after running around for a bit. I found out with this GFO packing the nut really only needs to be barely hand tight. After adjusting a few times it ran like a dream, and the shaft now runs dead true. Ready for another 800 hours i hope.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 8:51am
Murray,
Great write up. Thanks for posting the process. I feel it will be a great addition to the FAQ thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 7:28pm
Nice work. That is quite a unusual spot to have a bend in the prop shaft.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 9:33pm
Nicely done!
Appreciate the write up.
Am curious too. How the bend in that part of the shaft? Any idea?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2016 at 11:40pm
Mark and Jim,
I'm going to take a guess as to why the shaft is bend in that location. The boat was set down on the shaft just aft of the log at one time. I've seen it once where a owner stored his boat on timbers across the wet slip in a boathouse and didn't block the hull correctly. All the weight of the aft end of the boat was placed on the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Muzz88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muzz88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:17am
Thanks for the kind words.

Honestly I was wondering the same. I believe the shaft was like this when I bought the boat years ago. The shaft/prop has never taken a hard hit while I have owned it.

I agree with Peter, that sounds like the most likely scenario.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:19am
Pete my first thought for trying to explain the bend in that location, was misalignment over a long period of time.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:56pm
I hit a submerged log & it bent the shaft (.010 inch) in same area (between strut & coupler). I think the log wrapped up the drive train. Hard to believe, but it didn't damage the prop.

I was able to straighten it (to .003 ) in much the same manner as Muzz

.001 is very good!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Muzz88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muzz88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I hit a submerged log & it bent the shaft (.010 inch) in same area (between strut & coupler). I think the log wrapped up the drive train. Hard to believe, but it didn't damage the prop.

I was able to straighten it (to .003 ) in much the same manner as Muzz

.001 is very good!

Good to hear....

Yes I was quite happy with .001 , although it was ALOT of back and forth measuring & pressing.....
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 9:26pm
I'm surprised at the differences a few years make in the newer boats,here is a slimier picture but with quite a few changes.

If you get a chance can you see what your prop to rudder clearance is? Mine has always seemed close. I'm afraid if I get in the bottom of the boat I'll never get out. Good to see some more v drives here,now that their getting older more maybe more will show up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 9:41pm
Gary, what other 7-yr period didn't come along with significant change in details?

That prop to strut clearance looks pretty excessive from this angle... You sure you don't have one of those vibration dampeners between the couplers? We ran about 1/4" prop to rudder clearance for a while on the BFN and it didn't seem to affect much from a performance standpoint... Not sure I'm crazy about the proximity long-term though.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 10:40pm
Tim I'm just thinking about gas tanks and pylons stayed pretty much the same from the mid 60's to late 70's . Here in these two pictures the pylon moved from the traditional place to the back with quite the complicated bracing. Gas tank changed to what looks like dual fillers in the back and molded connections from front fill with completely different way of mounting the hose connections.
My driveshaft mounts just like his in the 8th picture but I have wondered if it's not seated as far in it. Safety collar is not rubbing. Could it be that CC set it up with an OJ and a Acme with more rake is just naturally closer?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 11:04pm
Yes the raked acme will extend much farther back. Measure your strut to prop clearance when you can. Nothing the same about pylons or tanks from the eras you mention...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 11:50pm
Ok how about this than,they went from using an off the shelf gas tank for quite a number of years to a gas tank custom made just for them
As to strut to prop I don't have the measurement but it looks to be excessive to my eye,I will check it next time I can
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Muzz88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muzz88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 8:39am
Thanks for the post Gary, interesting to compare them back to back like that.

I grabbed a couple of pics showing my prop to rudder clearance.

This one is my Acme 380

And this is my OJ

Both of these are approx 1" prop to strut spacing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic