NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1.23/1 transmission problem. lost reverse

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.23/1 transmission problem. lost reverse
    Posted: September-17-2016 at 7:29pm
My 1:23/1 model 40 just lost reverse. Was fine this morning. Went to back up from the dock to pull next skier, and the prop didn't turn. It kinda sounded like the reverse gears were engaged (similar reverse gear wining sounds but different). But no prop rotation in reverse.

Forward gear is fine. Fluid level is fine (top of stick), Shift arm moves almost to stop (and even though I pushed it the rest of the way, it made no difference). It is well adjusted and engages in forward and reverse at about the same shifter position.

I know nothing about the innards or operation. If the forward and reverse clutches are different, then perhaps it is the reverse clutch (since I hear the wining sounds of the reverse gear).

Has anyone broken down/repaired/rebuilt one of these? If so, are any special tools needed? What would I need besides a clutch pack and gasket kit? What does the damper do and do I need to replace it? If it doesn't take special tools and is fairly straight forward, I might consider doing it myself.

Finally, if special tools, etc. are required, is there any place where I can send it for a rebuild (or I send mine back as a "core" and purchase an already completed rebuilt one?. I'm in the San Jose California area.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 1:20am
So, no-one has ever pulled and worked on one of these 1.23:1 trannys? Has anyone tested pressure between forward and reverse?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 8:42am
Joe in NY is knowledgeable on these.

If I remember correctly, they are not as easy to rebuild as a Borg Warner.

I believe parts are only available thru PCM outlets. I would contact PCM to get a list of authorized repair shops & give one a call.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 9:37am
Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio may be able to do a rebuild or exchange for you, give them a call
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 9:44am
Gordon,
I agree with Chris that parts are only available from PCM and they aren't the easiest to rebuild. See if there's a PCM authorized shop in your area. Your problem could be sheared clutch plates, something busted in the planetary gear set or even a shaft. Opening the trans up is needed for a confirmation.

FYI, pressure to ether the forward and reverse clutch packs are the same since they use the same pump.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio may be able to do a rebuild or exchange for you, give them a call

Jody at Florida Inboards would be on my list as well.
Chris,
Did you ever get in touch with Eric?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 9:53pm
Hi do you think that these are harder to rebuild than a F150 4R70W automatic transmission or are parts just not available?

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

FYI, pressure to ether the forward and reverse clutch packs are the same since they use the same pump.

Here's a video to a tear down/rebuild of a 1:1 done a few months ago which is quite helpful

https://youtu.be/zybPkIhVIMk

Biggest issue for me to do it myself is that I don't have a press.

If you look at the comments under the video, you'll see an exchange between Mak (the person who did the video) and myself. He suggests that there are separate ports for testing pressure in forward and reverse. Since forward works with no problem but reverse doesn't, he suggests that if pressure in the reverse port is low, then I have a blockage and there might be a way to unclog it (without pulling the tranny out).

If it is normal, then it is probably an issue with the reverse clutch pack and I have to pull it out. So I'd like to check/test this before I start pulling it out.

What I find "interesting" is that when it is in reverse, I do hear the reverse gears turning (whining), so it seems that at least something is happening, just not everything. I don't know enough about it to understand what happens when you shift into reverse.that would cause me to hear the gears whining but the output shaft not to turn. If the clutches don't engage, would you hear the reverse gear whine?    Or what could be "broken"?

I know if I go talk to the local CC dealer/shop, they'll say it needs to be pulled/rebuilt or replaced. I want to know it needs a rebuild before I pull it.

Thanks.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Jody at Florida Inboards would be on my list as well.

Will ping both in the morning.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Joe in NY is knowledgeable on these.

Do you have Joe's user name, etc. so I can reach out?

Thanks,

Gordon
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]

Here's a video to a tear down/rebuild of a 1:1 done a few months ago which is quite helpful

https://youtu.be/zybPkIhVIMk

He suggests that there are separate ports for testing pressure in forward and reverse. /QUOTE]

Oh, and I can't find these ports he's referring to. All I see is the breather, the cooler return line, and the neutral switch on the top.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 10:14am
It doesn't really matter too much at this point as based on what you report you are going to need to take it apart. Don't mean to ask a stupid question but are you sure the output shaft isn't spinning and your lack of reverse isn't drive shaft key related?   Usually if it sounds like its going into gear it is...   but if it isn't you are going to need to pull it apart and take a look. As mentioned it is not the most serviceable transmission in the world in that parts are so expensive it becomes quickly cheaper to buy a new or used replacement.   That being said.. no harm it taking it apart to see what gives.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2016 at 11:43am
Joe:

I sent an email to Pleasurecraft Marine regarding a rebuild for the same transmission and they recommended: Reggie Yarbrough - 864-909-2852.   They said he did their work on the PCM transmissions. That number is a couple of years old and may or may not be good.

Good Luck!

Steve
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 12:51am
So, long story short, I pulled the tranny and did a teardown. What was wrong is that there is a large gear press-fit into the hub (where the forward clutch pack is). It started to go (started slipping in reverse but not initially in forward). The last test I did before pulling it was to test all of the pressure in the ports for forward, reverse, and neutral. While doing it, forward started to slip.

When the gear slipped, it also damaged a splash guard on another part. While a normal rebuild would cost about $500 in parts (clutch packs and gaskets/seals, etc.), the two damaged parts were another $1,100.

I did check with some of the rebuild places; it was around $1,100 and a 12 month warranty assuming no parts broken. But it would have added another $1,100 in additional parts.   A new one (it's a new replacement model, model 80) was about $2200 with shipping at SKIDIM after AWSA discount. The tranny is more heavy duty and also includes a new damper plate (heavy duty), a 12" tranny cooler (replacing the 6" one), longer cooler hoses, etc.

Got the new one put in and I did an in-water tested today. Good to go skiing!

Thanks for everyone's help and comments.

Gordon
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 1:10am
I realize that $2K is a lot of ca$h, but a new tranny vs a re-built unit is a good trade-off when the cost is close. You should have many tranny trouble-free years ahead.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I realize that $2K is a lot of ca$h, but a new tranny vs a re-built unit is a good trade-off when the cost is close. You should have many tranny trouble-free years ahead.

JQ

Yup. Especially with everything brand new, new warranty, and the fact that it appears to be more robust. Plus that 12" cooler is twice the size of the old one, which I'm excited about. Not to mention that I didn't have to put the new one back together and hope I get everything right.....

Also, when I pulled the old tranny, my prop shaft was out a bit (.004-.005) when it's supposed to be .003 or less (always was less than .003). This time I got it down to less than .002. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic