Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - changing the transmission fluid on a PCM 1.23/1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

changing the transmission fluid on a PCM 1.23/1

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: changing the transmission fluid on a PCM 1.23/1
    Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:10pm
Can't seem to find instructions on how to remove all of the fluid. Any suggestions? Also, I'm getting a little bit of tranny fluid in the bilge but haven't figured out where it came from (the level seems correct; right at the top mark when you just lay the dipstick on the dipstick rubber (don't insert it all the way in).). Also, the shift lever seems to be a little tight. This tranny has about 500hrs on it.

Suggestions on where this tranny will leak, as well as a way to get all the oil out for a fluid change is appreciated. Someone said that you get metal brake line and hook up a vacuum pump (the metal brake line is small enough to go all the way through the dipstick hole to the bottom of the transmission.

Thanks,

Gordon
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 10:20pm
Gordon,
The trans fluid is sucked as you thought. Some have even used the pump off a cosmetic container. You won't get it all out but enough to be effective.

The leak most likely is from the front input shaft seal. It will drip into the bell housing and then out into the bilge. It could be wear but also a worn damper plate that causes excess vibration on the input shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 2:07am
I use a fluid extractor. It works for bleeding brakes to changing transmission fluid. The specific unit I use is the MityVac 7300.

LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gordon,
The trans fluid is sucked as you thought. Some have even used the pump off a cosmetic container. You won't get it all out but enough to be effective.

The leak most likely is from the front input shaft seal. It will drip into the bell housing and then out into the bilge. It could be wear but also a worn damper plate that causes excess vibration on the input shaft.

Hmm, I'll look (with a mirror) under the bell housing. Would be annoying since the transmission is newer than the boat (less than half the hours of the engine).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I use a fluid extractor. It works for bleeding brakes to changing transmission fluid. The specific unit I use is the MityVac 7300.

LINK

JQ

Are the hoses/tubes that come with it small enough to go through the small hole that the end of the dipstick goes into so I suck from the bottom?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 7:02am
Gordon,
Was a new damper installed when the trans was replaced?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

LINK

JQ

Are the hoses/tubes that come with it small enough to go through the small hole that the end of the dipstick goes into so I suck from the bottom?

Yup. There are 3 hose diameters. The smallest will fit down most dip-stick tubes. I use the mid-size hose for my PCM transmission. The key is to wiggle and twist the tube/hose so that if gets all the way to the bottom of the transmission fluid reservoir.

The fluid extractor tank has gradations so you know how much fluid you have removed. On a PCM transmission, you should remove 2 quarts -- assuming that you started full.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2016 at 6:03pm
You can also take a short piece of 1/4" copper tubing and push it into the end of whatever plastic tubing is on your suction device. It makes it pretty easy to push all the way down into the trans. and you can tell when it hits the bottom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 12:56am

The key is to wiggle and twist the tube/hose so that if gets all the way to the bottom of the transmission fluid reservoir.
JQ

Don't wiggle twist and push too much. One of our very respected members did and ended up with the plastic tubing stuck in the trans!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 2:24am

The key is to wiggle and twist the tube/hose so that if gets all the way to the bottom of the transmission fluid reservoir.
JQ

Don't wiggle twist and push too much. One of our very respected members did and ended up with the plastic tubing stuck in the trans!

Indeed. One must be judicious when wiggling and twisting. Words to live by...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 10:11am
There is a main channel down the dipstick hole (straight down) but there are other cavities down that channel that are large enough for a 1/4" hose to fit through. Edges may be sharper and may inhibit removal! Just be careful not to force the tubing in too hard, especially if the hose has a little curve to it... Could get you into trouble. I like the idea of the brass extension, it would keep you centered in the dipstick cavity, I may add one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

There is a main channel down the dipstick hole (straight down) but there are other cavities down that channel that are large enough for a 1/4" hose to fit through. Edges may be sharper and may inhibit removal! Just be careful not to force the tubing in too hard, especially if the hose has a little curve to it... Could get you into trouble. I like the idea of the brass extension, it would keep you centered in the dipstick cavity, I may add one.

Tim: I like the brass tube extension idea also. I'll be at the local plumbing supply on my way home from work to pick some up.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:18pm
Good idea on the copper tubing....a small $3-5 investment to keep plastic out of the tranny
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:25pm
Just make sure the copper is firmly attached to the tubing... I don't think I'd want copper in my tranny either ha.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:30pm
The piece of copper I used was from an old refrigerator water line. If I remember correctly it's long enough so it never goes all the way into the trans. But I will definitely check next time I use it. Copper tube in the trans would suck.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:37pm

Gordon,
Was a new damper installed when the trans was replaced?

If a damper did not come with the new transmission, then no, a new one wasn't installed.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:39pm

Tim: I like the brass tube extension idea also. I'll be at the local plumbing supply on my way home from work to pick some up.

JQ

Please advise what diameter copper tube you picked up (that will fit down the dipstick channel)? I want to do the same thing.

Thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 1:42pm

Just make sure the copper is firmly attached to the tubing... I don't think I'd want copper in my tranny either ha.

So plastic is OK?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 2:05pm

So plastic is OK?

Neither is ok to end up in the trans!

Presumably the 1/4" vinyl tubing used on most oil extractors does not have a joint/connection in the length inserted into the tranny. I'm not sure id want the copper/vinyl joint inserted into the case either... Seems like an opportunity for it to come apart upon removal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic