Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mechanical fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tomj72mus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomj72mus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical fuel pump
    Posted: July-15-2016 at 4:36am
I believe mine is going out or has lost some psi. I'm concernd with weather or not I should replace it with a filter style or a non filter style. The fuel tank is original and prolly isn't the cleanest thing inside so I'm debating. Have any of you with an older cc switched to a filter less model and if you have how did it work out?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 5:28am
I would not go completely filter-less if that is what you are asking.

There is no gain in having a filter on the pump vs an inline filter. either style will work as its designed. you can also rebuild them.
personally i think an inline filter gives you better options.
A. something like this RAYCOR is about the best you can get for fuel filter/water separator quality.
B.Easier to get at depending where you mount.
C.has built in drain to drain off any water in the system.

Even if your running the filtered pump the raycor is a good idea for any boat's fuel system. Make sure its not the clear plastic bowl style, those are built for above deck installation. below deck, uscg requires the metal bowl.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Tomj72mus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomj72mus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2016 at 12:47pm
It looks like that would work perfect. Thanks!
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 12:51am
I would advise to keep the in-line filter if you have one. Also, depending on how much time you wanna spend, take the tank out, and slosh it around with some gas in there and tip it up on an angle and then siphon it out. Also, it's good to inspect the vent hose and filler hose if you have never seen it.
74SkiNautique
Tomj72mus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomj72mus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 1:10am
I did this just today, I pulled the tank and tilted it to one end to suck out all the junk. It really wasn't as dirty as I thought it was going to be. Also I found a new mechanical fuel pump with the filter on it for $44 that I just installed this evening. It works great and my motor seems to idle a lot better now as well. Thanks for the info fellas!
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 1:59am
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the pump at for that price. I need to replace the one on my 92 sport nautique.
92 Sport nautique
Tomj72mus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomj72mus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:07am
Advanced auto parts! Napa Auto has them as well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Tomj72mus Tomj72mus wrote:

I found a new mechanical fuel pump with the filter on it for $44 that I just installed this evening. It works great and my motor seems to idle a lot better now as well.

Tom,
Is the pump marine rated? Do you have the part number?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tomj72mus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomj72mus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 12:50pm
Pete,
    First off how's it going? I haven't been on here for awhile hopefully you remember me. To answer your question no it is not, reason being is because the carter pump I pulled off of it wasn't either! The new pump is a Airtex 4990 and is almost an exact replica from the carter it's just alittle taller.
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:13pm
arent the only difference on the pumps the little bypass nipple in case of diaphragm failure.i replaced mine with one from a box store like advanced and removes the nipple out of the old stock one.I then put it in the new pump.it had the option via a little knock out area to install the nipple tube in it.then attach the hose and its now a marine pump
my 1980 SN is mad at my 2009 HD
Tomj72mus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomj72mus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:23pm
Thanks for the info Joby! And yes I think you are correct!
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:37pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Joby1969 Joby1969 wrote:

arent the only difference on the pumps the little bypass nipple in case of diaphragm failure.    

Well basically. A marine pump for sure has a seal on the diaphragm push rod in case the diaphragm ruptures. If not there the,overflow fuel will just fill up the crankcase and may also come out the the arm pivot rather than go up the sight tube. When I rebuilt my old '69 pump I added the overflow too, but it did have a seal too. Some pumps in the past had a dual diaphragm and a sight tube or a glass bowl between them to see the overflow if the main diaphragm went bad.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 4:27pm
gary,you are correct.i forgot to mention the seal in the backside.I do remember the old school style with the sight glass as well.......good info added.thanks Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 7:30pm

He's not totally correct. Besides the nipple to connect the hose back up to the carb incase of a diaphragm leak. the true marine fuel pump is a double diaphragm.

BTW, just because the bad pump wasn't marine doesn't mean you have to put another non marine back on the engine. For a few more $$ than the $44, it sure would be safer!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

He's not totally correct. Besides the nipple to connect the hose back up to the carb incase of a diaphragm leak. the true marine fuel pump is a double diaphragm.

BTW, just because the bad pump wasn't marine doesn't mean you have to put another non marine back on the engine. For a few more $$ than the $44, it sure would be safer!

The true marine fuel pump may or may not have 2 diaphragms.

AC and Carter would be the 2 most popular mechanical marine fuel pumps.

The AC built pump which Pete is thinking of is a dual diaphragm with either a glass bowl to show leakage into the area between the diaphragms or instead of the bowl, later versions run the sight tube up to the spark arrestor.

The Carter built pump which Gary is quite familiar with is a single diaphragm pump with the nipple for the sight tube up to the spark arrestor. It is sealed around the operating rod for the diaphragm.up above this nipple.

So.........functionally the 2 pumps do the same thing, just differently.

I've had both styles apart to see this with my own eyes.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Not any more Pete, I believe in a Windsor powered boat the only true dual diaphragm pump had the fuel bowl on them. I think it has a diaphragm a spacer then another diaphragm. The glass bowl mounts into that spacer. If the bottom diaphragm leaks it fills the bowl,the second diaphragm keeps it from flowing into the engine or bilge. Since they went with the hose I have never seen 2 diaphragm pump. When I rebuilt my pump it had a seal on the diaphragm rod and one diaphragm,I added a fitting for the overflow when I found that it had the 2nd seal. I bought a new Carter marine pump from Skidim as a spare,it has the same upper housing as my original and one diaphragm.
New Carter-

Old Carter on HM-

If you look you can see just the one diaphragm on both pumps,it's the one under the series of screws,the other protruding one is a gasket
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 8:57pm
ken and Gary,
Thanks for filling me in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 9:58pm
Here's a picture of an AC on the left and a Carter on the right.

The black fitting is where the bowl would screw into on the AC or alternately the tubing to the flame arrestor could go there.

I notice on your new Ski Dim spare Gary, that the nipple is on the back. Hooking the tubing to that is a PIA because the oil pressure sensor and the tubing from the nipple want to occupy pretty much the same spot at the same time.

Your rebuilt old one is prettier

You can still find either style for sale pretty easily.

KenO.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 10:06pm
Your right Ken. I was able to remove that fitting and by drilling a new hole relocate it to the front. That was the only pump that had a filter on it similar to my original. The other minor problem is that the inlet and outlets are switched,thought I could change them around but no. All in all not bad for 41 years difference between them.
I see the difference in how their made Ken, same end results just a different way of doing it, the Carter way being cheaper I would guess
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2016 at 10:40pm
im running the carter if i remember right, it didnt come with the nipple so i took the old nipple and used it in the new carb.I think the spot for nipple was already on the upper side of diaphragm. I have 4 daughters ranging from 5 -30, sometimes i forget and need a little reminder and thats why the woman is here. she keeps reminding me of what i have invested in toys.
Keith78sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith78sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 12:25am
Where are you guys finding rebuild parts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:56am
Here's the link Keith. They need the numbers that are on the mounting flange. I don't think you can look it up yourself there seems to be alot of pages,might be easier to email or call them. At the time new screws for the pump halfs were not included in the kit but were available,they help make it look like new. Hope this helps.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keith78sn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith78sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 3:11am
Great thanks a bunch always thought you could not rebuild
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 4:21am
Guys the bad news on Mechanical Fuel pumps is that all the major manufacturers quit making them due to very low volume sales. Carter and AC both quit manufacturing and farmed out the mechanicals I believe to Blackstone who makes them for Carter.
I think Airtex may still make some mechanicals and may even supply Carter with some of them. When Fuel Injection and electric pumps took over the market in the mid 1980's the volume of Mechanical pumps fell so low so fast that most manufacturers just exited the manufacturing and one or two now supply everybody.   There are some China manufactured pumps coming in also.
If I had a good old pump I would consider rebuilding the old one. Maybe some company still offers new diaphragms for them.
In the classic car world fuel pump issues are a problem, the original Carter pumps lasted years and years the replacements sometimes don't last long at all unfortunately.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic