Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steam out of exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
69 barracuda h/m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steam out of exhaust
    Posted: June-02-2016 at 4:47pm
hey i am new here and i have a problem, i have a 69 correct craft barracuda with a 351 h/m. i took it out this past weekend and noticed what i think is steam coming out of the passenger side exhaust only and it is overheating. i checked the oil and i saw no water, and i have done some reading here and i keep seeing people talk about the impeller breaking into pieces and clogging things, has anybody had the same issue and could they both be the same problem? i have a general understanding of motors and how they work but i have no experience with the cooling system on this boat. does anyone have any tips on what to look for ?
-Alex
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 5:12pm

could be impeller.    open up the water pump and take a look.   if it is torn up then you will have to fish out all the junk. take off the thermostat housing and clean out and remove the riser.   

is the water flow the same from both pipes? if you have a rusted shut riser then there will be very little water flow and it will steam as well.   put hands on manifolds, are they the same temp?

if the steam was not there before then you may have a vacuum leak.   Use wd 40 around carburetor base then around intake while its running, you will find it.   
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 5:41pm
You had me till the vacuum leak
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 7:31pm
Yeah- I'd edit the post if I could. Vacuum leak not a potential for ANY steam action or overheat. All else is great!!!!

Get that junky impeller out, go get a new one AND a new thermostat (while you're in there) and check all the hoses too--sounds like you caught it early. Hopefully.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 7:37pm
Post up some pictures too,is it the single crank mounted pump HM or does it have the crank pump and a circulating pump too? Original exhaust manifolds? If it's the single pump no need to pull the thermostat to find any pieces
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 12:12pm
Have any suggestions on how to post a
pictureIMG_3407.JPG
-Alex
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2016 at 5:57pm
Alex,
Use the "post reply" and not the quick at the bottom of each thread. Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 9:16pm

I am assuming that the water pump is behind the plate on the front?
-Alex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 9:17pm
I am assuming that the water pump is behind that plate?
-Alex
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by 69 barracuda h/m 69 barracuda h/m wrote:

I am assuming that the water pump is behind that plate?

The block off plate on the front of the engine or the plate at the crank for the RWP (raw water pump)? If you are thinking there's a circulation pump, there isn't. The early marine engines didn't use them. It's just the RWP that supplies the water. The pump that's visible is the crank mounted RWP Gary mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 10:22pm
Interesting dual pulley setup too. Parts book shows all single pumps using a single belt, dual belts were used on the 2 pump models. Donzi owners would mount an extra belt out of the way but behind the main pump plate and cable tie it out of the way to the plate standoffs. If a belt let go they would cut the tie's and put the belt in place and not have to go thru the work of trying to remove the plate and pump while out on the water. I wonder if someone came up with this to stop this problem?

The pump is crank driven and is between those two rubber connectors behind the plate mounted with 4 bolts. If it's a new to you boat I'd replace the impeller,if it's missing any vanes you could remove that cast iron Y right after the pump. If nothing is there you could remove the 'stat and check there. You'll have to make your own gaskets for the Y but the 'stat housing uses a regular Ford one. Below is a parts breakdown for the pump,some parts are almost next to impossible to find now like the cover plate,cam and body. Seals,impeller,gasket bearings are all standard parts used on many different models. Holman Moody supplied drive drive parts impossible too.

seal assy-

Lovejoy drive spider between pump drive and crank drive,don't run without it

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2016 at 11:40am
For those who dont think vacuum leak can cause steam, you dont know what you are talking about.   Lean condition causes excessive heat and a way hotter exhaust.   Of course it will cause steam. Thats how i found the vacuum leak in my last boat, port engine was making steam at the dock.   I knew right away why and found base gasket got sucked in.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 2:53pm

-Alex
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 3:01pm
That is really interesting! Who would ever have thought of that!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 3:03pm
Looks like RWP efficiency maybe a root cause! Those chunks don't look like they're supposed to fall out. So--all you need is an impeller?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 3:33pm
That's what I was thinking. And I hooked a hose to the boat yesterday and never got over 120 and had even water flow out of exhaust so I figured that the hose pressure was forcing the water through. I removed the rwp anyway and fished this rubber out of the outlet side and then opened it up and it all looks in tact. So now I am really confused.

-Alex
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 3:37pm
Might be the innards of some water hoses that got hot or could be from former impeller. Replace impeller or--if it's an air leak from a seal on the pump you'll want to replace or rebuild the whole thing. Does anyone know how to bench test this pump to see if it is leaking air?

One piece of advice--get a bucket and stop using the hose water pressure. Many tell me that it masks pump performance giving a false sense of good function.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

For those who dont think vacuum leak can cause steam, you dont know what you are talking about.   Lean condition causes excessive heat and a way hotter exhaust.   Of course it will cause steam. Thats how i found the vacuum leak in my last boat, port engine was making steam at the dock.   I knew right away why and found base gasket got sucked in.   

Still unconvinced.

I believe you witnessed vapor condensing on unburned hydrocarbons, leftover from a miss caused by the vacuum leak,. Not steam

An engine at idle will never overcome its cooling system due to a lean idle from a vacuum leak.

Its a heat engine, if it were that easy to create heat (read power, due to expanding gasses, we would run them that lean all the time)

The only way to run super lean without falling on its face is to raise the ambient and put energy into the charge, either by preheating the mix, (a Yunick style homogenizer) or direct injection.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 4:56pm
i did forget to mention is the boat did sit for about 2 years and when i ran it for the first time it smelled like burned rubber and when i hooked up the hose last night i smelled it again. also the outer side of the runner where the exhaust is running to the back holding some water.
-Alex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 3:05pm
Hey guys i am back and i believe that i have fixed the problem, i cleared out the old rubber and changed the thermostat and it does not overheat. Got it out on the lake and ran it all day. cant get over how fun it is and i appreciate everyones help!

-Thanks everyone
-Alex
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 3:18pm
Glad you got it fixed and running like it should....Welcome to the site and lets see come pics of the boat itself!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 3:42pm
Ok then. You gotta make a high speed run video with the sweet sounds of HM small block for all of us as repayment for the journey to the fix! 🚤
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Still unconvinced.

I believe you witnessed vapor condensing on unburned hydrocarbons, leftover from a miss caused by the vacuum leak,. Not steam

An engine at idle will never overcome its cooling system due to a lean idle from a vacuum leak.

Its a heat engine, if it were that easy to create heat (read power, due to expanding gasses, we would run them that lean all the time)

The only way to run super lean without falling on its face is to raise the ambient and put energy into the charge, either by preheating the mix, (a Yunick style homogenizer) or direct injection.

Or just plain old cold water, a common cause of exhaust steam. Deep lake? Water temp?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Or just plain old cold water, a common cause of exhaust steam. Deep lake? Water temp?

And dew point

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 2:30pm
In my case i had twin engine boat, both pipes above water line at the dock.   One steaming severely and the other normal. Thats why I knew there was a vacuum leak.   Rochester Quad Jet sucked in a base gasket. Had 2 spares on board so was quick fix.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 3:34pm
Hey any idea on how to get the water out from the outer sections of the runners? The only place I can see it is where the exhaust goes through the floor. View My Video">
-Alex
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 3:49pm
Don't see video just a link to tinyurl.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:29pm
would you happen to know what kind of flooring or carpet came in my 69 barracuda? i am replacing the floors and it had green Astroturf in it when i got the boat, i have heard that they came with some kind of rubber flooring but i cant seem to find anything online anywhere.
-Alex
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:37pm
We had a '68 which appeared to be all original and it had red carpet just like in the brochures. Kind of ugly. '67 and back had rubber which I've never seen available. We put Nautolex shark skin in ours which I think is the best choice that I have seen for a 60's boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 4:02pm
Alex,
Scroll down to the "vinyl flooring" It's the Nautalex Bruce mentioned and some feel what would have been original although I have seen boats back then where CC used heavy duty vinyl wall covering.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic