NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans fluid whats best??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans fluid whats best??
    Posted: March-24-2016 at 1:58pm
Thanks again,
I will save some money.
No additive
Lakedog55
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Any additive beyond ATF isn't going to help, it can only harm. Don't.

Mike,
I agree with Tim. You mention no leaks. If the additive is a leak stopper, keep in mind what Eric our trans expert always said. He would comment on how it swelled up all the rubber to the point where particles would contaminate the trans. I too suggest not using any type of additive. Yes, it will do more harm than good!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 12:11pm
Any additive beyond ATF isn't going to help, it can only harm. Don't.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 11:34am
Hi,
Not really sure why I put the lucas in, but no leaks and tranny is holding up well.
Cant see where it would hurt anything.
Lakedog55
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 11:21am
Thanks Pete, but your link doesn't work for me! And mine doesn't work for me either! Oh, well.

Here's one that (hopefully) works for all.

Lucas
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Here's a link to the Lucas page with their tranny products:

http://lucasoil.com/products/transmission-products

Mike, Lucas makes fine products but not sure they apply to this application. I think your idea of another fluid change makes sense, but not so sure the additive is a good idea.

David,
Your link doesn't work for me so here's another to Lucas
Mike,
What Lucas are you adding and why?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 10:54am
Here's a link to the Lucas page with their tranny products:

http://lucasoil.com/products/transmission-products

Mike, Lucas makes fine products but not sure they apply to this application. I think your idea of another fluid change makes sense, but not so sure the additive is a good idea.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 6:15am
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

. I will be flushing again and going back with valvoline III and about 6 to 8 oz of lucas ,

Mike,
What's the Lucas? A "stop leak"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 12:32am
Not sure if this will add anything,
I just flushed mine and put in castro dex VI. Not sure if it is prop singing or tranny wine Did not notice the noise before as much. I will be flushing again and going back with valvoline III and about 6 to 8 oz of lucas ,
Lakedog55
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2016 at 12:38am
I just changed the trans. fluid out in my mother's 05 Super Sport that has around 1400 hours. I put in synthetic fluid thinking I was making an "improvement". This boat has close to 100 hours a year put on it. I will change it out soon.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 6:07pm
Good enough for me. I have other stuff to worry about.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 10:44am
FWIW, our old tranny friend Eric always said "NO Synthetic" in our boat trans, IIRC for the same reason as Timmy previously noted, "too slippery".
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 8:48pm
Glad to help you with a little learnin' Pete, You 've more to do though.

Now as far as the answer to the question about synthetic ATF, it's probably the same as the answer to all those other questions like

What's the best oil out there

What's the best filter

what's better an Acme or an OJ prop

and six million other questions that everybody has their own opinion on.

but....that's just my opinion    

KenO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Haven't we thrashed this topic to death by now?

"trashed" ?? I thought this a forum for discussion!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 4:24pm

Gary, the early PCM transmissions (89-90, possibly later) specified the use of 20w oil.
Quality fluids changed regularly is half the battle but you gotta run the right fluid too!

The 20W was intended more to quiet the whine than the buzzing. It didn't work, so they went back to ATF. At the time, you couldn't find 20 in FL unless you paid motorcycle shop prices!

Haven't we thrashed this topic to death by now? I think we're setting an endurance record.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 4:10pm
Ken,
I found some time since you got me going on a research/education mission and I've come up with some important differences in wet clutches as used in automotive and marine applications. So here's some opinions from an engineering standpoint. First is the fact that in a marine, there isn't the typical torque converter as in a car. The torque converter allows slip or a cushion so the primary wet clutch doesn't see all the engine torque at once. A marine see's all the torque from the beginning all the way to WOT and, as you know must maintain that torque at all times to keep the hull on the top of the water. Next the initial loading on an automotive is drastically reduced at the start via the reduction planetary gearing. A marine only sees this initial loading via prop slip.

With the automotive secondary wet clutches on the planetary reduction gear sets, they are there simply to engage the planet set to the main hub so, the hub is seeing all the torque rather than the wet clutch. The physical size of these clutches is relatively large just to clear the center hubs so they have plenty of capacity.

In my research, I also came across lots of information regarding early GM and some Ford automatics run on synthetics. Evidently they too suffered from slippage due to the low coefficient of friction with the synthetics.

I may be wrong with my ideas and am certainly open to comment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 1:15pm
Gary, the early PCM transmissions (89-90, possibly later) specified the use of 20w oil. This may have been partially to address a low speed buzzing, for which an external fix was later added to the symptomatic boxes. After the hardware fix (internal on later trannies), switching over to ATF is fine. My 90 has the external fix and I switched from 20w to ATF soon after I bought it 10 years ago. Looked great inside so the 20w was not doing any harm (1100+ hrs).

Quality fluids changed regularly is half the battle but you gotta run the right fluid too!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 12:56pm
Once again we went along way down the wrong road The original post was 20w or ATF in a PCM trans. I remember Eric saying ATF. Motorcycles are completely different,spring pressure not hydraulics control plate pressure. Motorcycle clutches live in a completely different environment too, Many use one oil throughout the system requiring a oil that needs ZDDP for the cam and being able to resist the shearing of the transmission gears and the action of the clutch. In the 60's and 70's when I was active in motorcycles you could and we did run automotive oil in them, not having much choice. When I got back into them in the 90's I found that when using automotive oils in my Honda that when it sat for a week the clutch plates would be stuck. Switched to Honda's branded oil solved the problem.
Bottom line use a quality oil change it often. In the scheme of things it's cheap.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 12:13pm
Sorry I was referring to automotive
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 11:38am
Isn't the above argument missing the point, when motorcycles are referred to we're talking about wet clutch standard tranny's, nobody really is thinking wet clutch automatic transmission for cars? The PCM's we have are closer to those cycle wet clutch arrangements than a car auto tranny. Or am I missing the point?

Thanks for all the discussion after my question, interesting. Eric Lavine would be very helpful if we could ever get him to log in again!
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 11:32am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Too slippery for a wet clutch transmission is what I had been told (2nd hand from PCM).

Correct. The automatic in your car or truck is not a wet clutch.

So Pete

Can you explain how an automatic works with dry clutches?

I think you need to refresh your brain cells on how an automatic works and what the fluid is for.f

They use discs of basically the same material as a Borg Warner.

KenO

Agreed automatic transmissions have wet clutches. Standard transmission are driven by a dry clutch.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Pete

I stick with what I said before

KenO

Ken, I am admittedly ignorant on the inner workings of transmissions, so what I was told could have been misleading or oversimplified... And I could also be misremembering to a degree! What was clear was that synthetic was not ideal for PCM trans, and I took that to apply to the velvets as well. The comparison was definitely made to motorcycle/dirt bike transmissions, though it appears "wet clutch" may not be the specific common design element... Anyone who knows transmissions a bit better may school us on the specifics that make this a valid comparison- or debunk it! My information came from a source I trusted at the time, though I cannot recall who it was that gave me that info... It's been almost 10 years.
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 9:11am
I genuinely found that video to be one of the best I've seen for things like this, but I'm not a very smart man lol.

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 9:10pm

Ken,
Here's how they work.

Pete: Very informative, Well done!

After you were done filming did they let you keep the flag and that jaunty cap?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 8:18pm

The story I was told was that PCM started seeing premature transmission failures during testing (800-900hrs?) with synthetic. Supposedly this is a well understood issue in the motorcycle/dirt bike world, as they use wet clutch trannies too.

+1. This was true for every motorcycle I've ever owned.

We sold out '92 last summer with over 1800 hours on the motor and trans and she ran like a top. Always used Dex/Merc for the trans. No slippage or dirty neutral.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 7:42pm
Hi Pete

I stick with what I said before

KenO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 7:18pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 6:52pm

Too slippery for a wet clutch transmission is what I had been told (2nd hand from PCM).

Correct. The automatic in your car or truck is not a wet clutch.

So Pete

Can you explain how an automatic works with dry clutches?

I think you need to refresh your brain cells on how an automatic works and what the fluid is for.

They use discs of basically the same material as a Borg Warner.

KenO
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 6:19pm
About 350, only two seasons. I called TM just to make sure as I had never heard that before. Not being old enough to know everything, I enjoy learning. And today I did just that. I guess Ill flush it out and run the Dextron. It will save me a few bucks as well. I'm still running the Amsoil in the engine though unless Y'all can tell why that is also a bad idea? My boat is barn kept and I'm not allowed to do oil changes so that means it gets put off for way longer than many of you would be comfortable with. The Amsoil gets me longer life at twice the price.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2016 at 6:13pm
Again I agree with Tim. My best man in my wedding waaaay back, owned a Honda cycle dealership and has always been and still is very involved with the cycle world. He would never use nor recommend a synthetic in a wet clutch trans.
John,
How many hours do you have on the trans since you started using the synthetic? Hopefully it's not getting close to the 800 mark!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic