NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foots/TimBobs New 72 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2015 at 11:37am
Tim what you need to do is get them both out at the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of ga fans willing to help you with that.....

Be a Great "Morfoot Fleet" Photo Op....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 12:17am
Tim,
Thanks. I needed that. . Was there a boat in this thread?
Donald
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2015 at 12:19am
TimBob, love that sublime green! And yeah, man - the boat's great too.   
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:54pm
Congrats on the new (old) boat! I was fortunate to park next to "The One" last year after putting in at Lake Conway. Clean boat, love the green.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

Congrats on the new beauty you've acquired.
A few questions are, your boat has only one stripe around the boat while my 72 mustang has 2. Also, you have the stripe across the deck while mine doesn't, why is that? Again that's an amazing boat.

Justin,
Just about anything happened back then. The deck stripes were an option, but most of the boot stripes were solid by then. Again, could have been an option, or later add on as your boat might not had any stripe at all.. No one will ever know...

I'm with Tim on this.. Footy, those black stripes I bet were original as we've talked about... They look amazing in green for sure !!! Windshield change and you have a show winner... Especially with the right trailer under it..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Justin,
Just about anything happened back then. The deck stripes were an option, but most of the boot stripes were solid by then. Again, could have been an option, or later add on as your boat might not had any stripe at all.. No one will ever know...
Moj'

Justin,
Dave's comment is very true about inconsistency's back then. It was a real tough time for the family trying to keep CC afloat. Regarding the boot stripe, they may not have had the $$ for more green paint but they had some black laying around!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2015 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Congrats on the new (old) boat! I was fortunate to park next to "The One" last year after putting in at Lake Conway. Clean boat, love the green.

No Offense To The Godfather But Tim YOUR PHOTO Looks Better Without The Correct Craft sticker On The transom. Did you take it off, or him?

Ps: apologies for the random capital letters, I think my phone is possessed. ......

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Tim YOUR PHOTO Looks Better Without The Correct Craft sticker On The transom.

So what you are saying Jeff, is that you like the new rear, is that correct?

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:53am
Justin, I'm with Moj on this one in that I bet the double stripe was added at a later date.

Moj, it seems that my cousin wants the trailer gone from her weeked house so Mom and I are road-tripping to Ill on Friday to pick it up. I'll have an empty #3 trailer on my hands soon.

Digging into the the brochures on the site it appears that all the CC's with the waterline/racing stripes were indeed black and NOT matching the interior in 1972. The change came in 73. The scoops covered in Vinyl came about ???? Nothing I've found in the brochures nails down a date for sure.

Jeff, Dave put those on and they came off shortly after I got it home. They were kinda cool and let all know who wasn't sure as to what kind of boat it was but wasn't original so it needed to come off. Got some tweeking to do with the instraments as the tach doesn't work at all and the gas guage only reads 1/2 when full. I may have moved the needle out of posion then I was cleaning the face and the glass before I glued the glass back on as the case was cracked and the lens was hanging on by a thread. Don't know if I can adjust it at the tank or have to crack open the face again.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:55am
Working on blending the white lines to match the rest of the stern Larry... Need more boat time.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 7:39pm

Digging into the the brochures on the site it appears that all the CC's with the waterline/racing stripes were indeed black and NOT matching the interior in 1972. The change came in 73.

The boot on my 70 Cuda was white!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Digging into the the brochures on the site it appears that all the CC's with the waterline/racing stripes were indeed black and NOT matching the interior in 1972. The change came in 73.

The boot on my 70 Cuda was white!

I've seen plenty of pre 1973 CCs on this site with matching interior and boot stripes. Mostly 1971-1972. My interior is black and the boot stripe(s) is black so I can't say your stating is true or false Morfoot.
1972 Mustang
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 6:26pm
Big Shout out to Mojo for picking up a #2 trailer for me that was for sale a while back in Indiana and storing it for a couple weeks, and to my cousin Jim for running to Mojo's house to pick it up and dragging it back to my mothers childhood home til she and Dad got married in 61.

My cousin Lisa (who owns the house) had it in the yard for about 2 months til I could get up there to pick it up when she said...... "Hey Cuz......When are coming to get this trailer cause .I need it GONE!"..... So Mom, (Dad'sTruck) and I made the quick trip up and back for Mothers Day weekend. A 1600 mile round trip in just 3 days. Moj and the previous owner gave me the heads up on the seals were bad on the wheels so I spent Sat overhauling the hubs. Took the "field goal' posts down for the trip home and we made I home okay.

Here's Mom's childhood home. Belonged to her Grandfather who was the county/town Doctor then passed to her Mom an now her Niece owns it.....

View from the '5th' floor (which is actually a 2 story attic) doorway standing on the cupelo up there. Yep...it rained all Fri evening.

Hub Rebuild.............

......complete with a 71 (trailer is a 71 according t0 the title) Tag that I found in a crate that had tags from every year my Grandfather had cars.....

Got her home and started tearing into the bunks yesterday... Going to make new ones even though I could still reuse the old ones...Tons of staples in the bunks from many carpet replacements. Gonna chemically treat the rust that turns the rot into harder the nails steel. Really bad voids and low spots I'll fill in with wear putty then paint it off/eggshell white.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2015 at 6:32pm
Cool tag. I had assumed you were taking the old truck, but looks like you had a much more comfortable ride.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 1:49pm
Wow, if I had only knew that the Morfoots were rich I would of been a lot nicer to you in the past. .
Five Story Homes !!!!!!!!!!   
Rare Boats and Seven Kim's . You can not hide money. Honey.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 6:11pm
Looks great, Tim! Glad to hear you made it safe and sound.

You planning on new springs while it's all torn apart? My #2 made the trip from the ramp to the house when I loaded it for the first time. Not trust worthy with the old springs.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2015 at 6:48pm
Hadn't planned on it as the previous owner said his Mustang was on it. I'll pull the bolts, check them and the bushings out and replace them more than likely. Cool thing about the shop I'm in. We have machinists in our shop that haven't been too busy here lately and they always like to do something out of the norm. Not sure if the hat bushings are Teflon but will find out soon enough.

I did take the original coupler into work today and blasted it with plastic media. Going to reuse it instead of the replacement that's on there. Bought some rattle can rust restore to hit the trailer with today so that I can get the wear putty on the deep voids and ready the trailer for paint. Having a tough time finding green bunk carpet that's reasonably priced (compared to the other colors) so I may have to just spend few more pennies and go with it.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:01am
Been awhile since I updated this last. but there hasn't been much to report with nothing going on but a trailer rebuild. Been working on it non-stop since I brought it home. Working 8 hrs a day, then coming home working on a trailer till bout dark settling for a bowl of cereal for dinner on many nights. Sanded all the old paint off, primed, filled all the rusted voided areas from where the bunks were, all new   stainless hardware, leaf spring bushings, new bunks, crash pads and carpet paint, wiring, a few new lights and decals.

Skutsch was coming thru ATL on his way to Orlando so I offered up Motel Morfoot and he took me up on my offer. After driving all the way from Wisconsin he got here and he drove another 30 mins dragging the 'new' trailer down in my Durango while I took the boat down with the truck.. After some water time we got the 72 on its proper trailer which needed some adjusting so I was glad to have a skibud there with me. Thanks again for the help Steve.

A few final finishing touches on the trailer after the swap and she is finally done Along with the proper trailer I decided on a more proper fitting name for the boat. Added 'Custom' tag to let all know what it is when "Kermie' and I are cruising down the road.

Thank yous also to Reid, TRbenj, and Mars for their inputs and answers to the many questions I posed on them. CCFans are awesome!

Also a big shout out to my late father who through the years taught me the skills to do stuff like this. While the rest of the kids were playing wiffle ball, I had to help Dad! The first picture was taken in front of my fathers shop and as I was working I found that my eyes were leaking several times while I was using his tools to fab the new bunks. Mentally, I was expecting at any moment for him to walk up behind me and offer 'takeover' just to help but it just didn't happen. Mom took the pic and after doing so we just stopped for a minute and looked at vast collection of dads wood working tools and had a moment to reflect on the craftsman he was. Thanks Dad!

Here's what we started with:

New GA Registration......

Skutsch !!!!!!

It's Finished!!!!!!

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:06am
The entire project looks great Tim. Your hard work has paid great dividends!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:22am
Thanks Bill.....It's been a fun project and an ongoing one at that but ready to slow down on it, I did find a few more surprises this past weekend as Kermie didn't wanna stay started. I shoulda known better and discovered it before but it's got an automotive carb and fuel pump on it. I never took the arrestor off when I was giving it the once over till Sat.

Nautiquehunter ha the issue pegged in about 5 mins as we both new it was an ignition problem but wasn't sure what. It kicked over and wanted to start but when I let go of the switch it died. Mike says... I bet ya its the ballast resistor. ....sure nuff....Bingo.....autoparts store actually had one that allowed me to get back on the water,

Now off to purchase a marine Carb but dang those suckers are pricey.....Hory Cow!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:32am
Looking great Tim. How would you compare it with the 88?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:36am
And pictures of said pump please---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:52am
Here's what we got under the hood.........

Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 1:47pm
I just love the splash Green interior. I actually just love the boat!
1972 Mustang
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 2:06pm
Tim - upon further review, I think we put the bow stop on backwards. I can shoot you pics of examples if you want.

My bad, I pushed you in the wrong direction...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 5:49pm
Actually Steve, no need to send pictures as I went and looked at Miss Scarletts carriage and its turned around the opposite way. Not sure if there is a right or wrong way. You and both scratched our heads about it but you were first to point out that the center of the engine is above the axe which is where it should be.

I'm also thinking that the forces applied to the "horse collar" bow stop at the angled legs when in a sudden slam on the brakes stoppage when towing is better the way it is. I would think that the angled support tubes would be stronger at the joint welds in a pushing situation than a pulling. May not matter at this level but I'm sure our structural engineers may chime in.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:02pm

I'm also thinking that the forces applied to the "horse collar" bow stop at the angled legs when in a sudden slam on the brakes stoppage when towing is better the way it is. I would think that the angled support tubes would be stronger at the joint welds in a pushing situation than a pulling. May not matter at this level but I'm sure our structural engineers may chime in.

Sorry there Tim but definitely stronger the other way around, Buckling is the failure mode likely they way it is, and it will occur with much less force than the tensile failure that would occur if it was mounted in the right direction.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

definitely stronger the other way around, Buckling is the failure mode likely they way it is, and it will occur with much less force than the tensile failure that would occur if it was mounted in the right direction.

....and there you have it......guess I'm turning it around. Thanks Joe!
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 7:30pm
Looking good Tim! I'm green with envy.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2015 at 8:20pm
I kept looking at the bow of the boat and thinking something was wrong the trailer but couldn't place it.
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic