Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35920
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 10:18pm

Topic: Foots/TimBobs New 72 Mustang
Posted By: Morfoot
Subject: Foots/TimBobs New 72 Mustang
Date Posted: April-30-2015 at 11:29pm
Well as most of you know by now I am the proud new owner of The Godfather's 72 Sublime Green Mustang known as 'The One'. I have been kicking the idea of owning an older CC for quite sometime as a result of attending many of the Reunions and Minis that we have here. Hanging out with y'all has only increased my love for these boats and with some peer pressure from some of my closer CCFan buds who keep saying..."C'mon Footie....you got have more than one.....EVERYONE needs to have a spare!" I decided to look for either a Skier or Mustang with a Holman Moody ( Gary S...it's your fault!). Wasn't in a big hurry but saw David mention that his was for sale and a couple months later he mentioned it again so I knew he was serious. It is a unique boat and the only other boat that has Mr. Ralphs signature IN the Gel on the Stern.

So after talking with Dave several times it was decided that I'd go to SJRR 2015 empty hitch and bring it home. I did enjoy running the river in it but found out the hard way that it doesn't have the range of the 88' and I ran out of gas half way home. Doh!

So I brought it home, parked it next to Miss Scarlett and started tearing into it. I pulled out the interior for a deep cleaning and yanked up the floors for a looksie to see what rot there is. Much to my surprise I didn't find a whole lot. The glass and the primary stingers tap tested solid at the hull. Some disbonding of glass close to the top here and there but solid most everywhere except.....the web/fwd bulkhead just fwd of the battery box. It's sealed up pretty good but it is rotten so I have a project this winter. The skipole was loose as a goose so I pulled it out with ease, blasted the corrosion and filled the pits with wear putty we use at work designed just for that. Coated it with Teflon paint, stepped up the bolt hole to 3/8 and stuck it back in . It's snug once again

My goal is to get it back to original condition. Doing some research on the stripes it appears that that should have been Sublime Green instead of Black but there is no evidence that they were. I sanded them down to get rid of brush strokes and to prep for green paint sometimes going to the original gel and found no original green paint. Maybe somewhere someone stripped it off when they changed the windshield as it is not the original....It too will come off this winter and stripped of the black paint and anodized.

I tried to get the original horns working again even taking them to work to get the guys in the engine harness shop to check it for me but they couldn't find the problem. They should work but don't. Replaced them with a set of stainless horns that are close to the original but a tad different. I did reuse the original mount brackets though.

Did some rewiring and got all the lights working including the dual cigarette lighters that function as courtesy dash lights. Got the lights working under the gunnels too. She has a new rudder to replace the wrong on installed and a new acme 1210 wheel to replace the original federal. Haven't had the chance to try out the upgrade but will this weekend.

In closing this opening thread on the boat I wanna pass along a HUGE THANKS to those guys who've helped me along the way to make this happen. Lots of texts and phone calls asking questions and feedback. A few surprises in the mail too! Y'all are just awesome and I can't thank you enough for 'pushing' me to this adventure. It's been a fun ride so far and I've been working hard and long night s to get it this far........more stuff to come and as with all the other threads .... more to come!!!!

The new Kim Likes it too!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Replies:
Posted By: Chevy350
Date Posted: April-30-2015 at 11:42pm
Congrats on the new beauty you've acquired.
A few questions are, your boat has only one stripe around the boat while my 72 mustang has 2. Also, you have the stripe across the deck while mine doesn't, why is that? Again that's an amazing boat.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-30-2015 at 11:43pm
lookin good!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-30-2015 at 11:56pm
Fantastic Tim!! Keep going on the clean up and of course, keep it original. I know you will enjoy it.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: cphase
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:06am
Nice ride TimBob, can't wait to see it in person(maybe pilot it??).

-------------
Thanks,

Jeff
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6549" rel="nofollow - 82 SN
http://www.archlinux.org" rel="nofollow - Arch Linux

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

+1

boat looks good too!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: DMH
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 1:40am
Looking Good.

Posted By: DHart
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 2:41am
Very sharp! Nice job Tim, congrats!

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 7:32am
Very nice! Good Luck with her!

-------------
Js

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 7:59am
I like it. I hope to see it soon!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 9:43am
Outstanding! Nice truck too.

I'm guessing Miss Scarlett's not gonna see the water too much for a while

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 10:29am
Looking good TimBob!

Like I mentioned before, I bet that black stripe was original and the lillypad rudder may have been too... But I'd be making the exact same changes! That windshield going natural will be a real nice improvement too.

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 10:39am
More pictures of KimBob #7 please !

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 10:40am
You had said earlier you were going to redo the boot stripe. Then I saw the black racing stripe and thought, you have to change that too. Sure enough, you didn't need to be told. Looks great.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 10:42am
I didn't mind the black windshield frame with the black boot stripe but now that it's green a bare aluminum frame will look great.

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I didn't mind the black windshield frame with the black boot stripe but now that it's green a bare aluminum frame will look great.

Agreed. Just don't get cute and think that it needs to be Lime

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 10:58am
I was thinking lime green perforated vinyl window film on the windshield glass.

-------------

Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 11:03am
Tim, this looks fantastic! I saw a preview on a scratched iphone with a sun glare, and could only make out the bow -- and that even barely so! I'd like to see it in person though, bring it around

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Agreed. Just don't get cute and think that it needs to be Lime

Y'all should know me better than that!

Only plan to add Green anywhere is to put vinyl on the scoops. Mars found some for me via e-Bay...just gotta order it.

Thanks for the compliments guys! It'll be a head turner for sure.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Is this one of the earlier Kims? Kind of reminds me of 78NautiqueAd Girl. Maybe its the hair?

-------------

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:25pm
New boat name - Kim Lime Pie

-------------

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:38pm
That boat is so freakin cool.

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:41pm
Very nice! Congrats!

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

HAHAHAHA

PERFECT!

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 2:29pm
Looking Great Tim!

Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 2:49pm

No life Jacket needed for both of those ladies. They would float for days if they fell it.

I am not hating just saying !!!!!!!.

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: May-01-2015 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Is this one of the earlier Kims? Kind of reminds me of 78NautiqueAd Girl. Maybe its the hair?

Uhh...no Larry...ain't the hair...

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: May-02-2015 at 12:35am
Nice!   Tim/bob,   luv the new stripes (the lime stripes)

hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag on Grants thread.

Keep us in the loop when it's windshield project time

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: May-02-2015 at 1:16am
Guys please stop with the rat face PFD lady. Just had a midnight snack and trying to keep it down.

Date Posted: May-02-2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by kytom2 kytom2 wrote:

LOL.....Leave it to you Tom

Should I marry ANOTHER one then Kim Lime Pie it is!

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Nice!   Tim/bob,   luv the new stripes (the lime stripes)

hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag on Grants thread.

Keep us in the loop when it's windshield project time

Nahhhhh you didn't Al. Cat was already out after SJRR but just not 'Officially'. I wanted to start this thread to make it so and show the changes that have already been made and that are forthcoming.

Thanks guys for the feedback. When Dave and I were talking about him selling it, we discussed about how unique this boat is and didn't want it to go to someone who wasn't gong to take care of it. Dave assured me that he wouldn't have.

74Wind Jeff....... Miss Scarlett won't get her feelings hurt to much as she will get used a lot this summer I hope as she has a new tongue and surge brakes to tow her around. She also wears her top a lot to beat the heat as I won't be putting one up on The One.

Jeffro....of course you can drive it. You just gotta show up somewhere to do so!

Donald..............................Just for You!

-------------

Date Posted: May-02-2015 at 11:37am
Tim what you need to do is get them both out at the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of ga fans willing to help you with that.....

Be a Great "Morfoot Fleet" Photo Op....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: May-03-2015 at 12:17am
Tim,
Thanks. I needed that. . Was there a boat in this thread?
Donald

Posted By: xarmypilot
Date Posted: May-03-2015 at 12:19am
TimBob, love that sublime green! And yeah, man - the boat's great too.   

-------------
'87 SN 2001
http://mbbw.com/WIP/DSCN9620.JPG" rel="nofollow - '68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"

Posted By: halfnelly
Date Posted: May-04-2015 at 12:54pm
Congrats on the new (old) boat! I was fortunate to park next to "The One" last year after putting in at Lake Conway. Clean boat, love the green.

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: May-05-2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

A few questions are, your boat has only one stripe around the boat while my 72 mustang has 2. Also, you have the stripe across the deck while mine doesn't, why is that? Again that's an amazing boat.

Justin,
Just about anything happened back then. The deck stripes were an option, but most of the boot stripes were solid by then. Again, could have been an option, or later add on as your boat might not had any stripe at all.. No one will ever know...

I'm with Tim on this.. Footy, those black stripes I bet were original as we've talked about... They look amazing in green for sure !!! Windshield change and you have a show winner... Especially with the right trailer under it..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: May-05-2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Justin,
Just about anything happened back then. The deck stripes were an option, but most of the boot stripes were solid by then. Again, could have been an option, or later add on as your boat might not had any stripe at all.. No one will ever know...
Moj'

Justin,
Dave's comment is very true about inconsistency's back then. It was a real tough time for the family trying to keep CC afloat. Regarding the boot stripe, they may not have had the $$ for more green paint but they had some black laying around!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-05-2015 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Congrats on the new (old) boat! I was fortunate to park next to "The One" last year after putting in at Lake Conway. Clean boat, love the green.

No Offense To The Godfather But Tim YOUR PHOTO Looks Better Without The Correct Craft sticker On The transom. Did you take it off, or him?

Ps: apologies for the random capital letters, I think my phone is possessed. ......

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Tim YOUR PHOTO Looks Better Without The Correct Craft sticker On The transom.

So what you are saying Jeff, is that you like the new rear, is that correct?

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:53am
Justin, I'm with Moj on this one in that I bet the double stripe was added at a later date.

Moj, it seems that my cousin wants the trailer gone from her weeked house so Mom and I are road-tripping to Ill on Friday to pick it up. I'll have an empty #3 trailer on my hands soon.

Digging into the the brochures on the site it appears that all the CC's with the waterline/racing stripes were indeed black and NOT matching the interior in 1972. The change came in 73. The scoops covered in Vinyl came about ???? Nothing I've found in the brochures nails down a date for sure.

Jeff, Dave put those on and they came off shortly after I got it home. They were kinda cool and let all know who wasn't sure as to what kind of boat it was but wasn't original so it needed to come off. Got some tweeking to do with the instraments as the tach doesn't work at all and the gas guage only reads 1/2 when full. I may have moved the needle out of posion then I was cleaning the face and the glass before I glued the glass back on as the case was cracked and the lens was hanging on by a thread. Don't know if I can adjust it at the tank or have to crack open the face again.

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2015 at 10:55am
Working on blending the white lines to match the rest of the stern Larry... Need more boat time.

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2015 at 7:39pm

Digging into the the brochures on the site it appears that all the CC's with the waterline/racing stripes were indeed black and NOT matching the interior in 1972. The change came in 73.

The boot on my 70 Cuda was white!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-06-2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Digging into the the brochures on the site it appears that all the CC's with the waterline/racing stripes were indeed black and NOT matching the interior in 1972. The change came in 73.

The boot on my 70 Cuda was white!

I've seen plenty of pre 1973 CCs on this site with matching interior and boot stripes. Mostly 1971-1972. My interior is black and the boot stripe(s) is black so I can't say your stating is true or false Morfoot.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 6:26pm
Big Shout out to Mojo for picking up a #2 trailer for me that was for sale a while back in Indiana and storing it for a couple weeks, and to my cousin Jim for running to Mojo's house to pick it up and dragging it back to my mothers childhood home til she and Dad got married in 61.

My cousin Lisa (who owns the house) had it in the yard for about 2 months til I could get up there to pick it up when she said...... "Hey Cuz......When are coming to get this trailer cause .I need it GONE!"..... So Mom, (Dad'sTruck) and I made the quick trip up and back for Mothers Day weekend. A 1600 mile round trip in just 3 days. Moj and the previous owner gave me the heads up on the seals were bad on the wheels so I spent Sat overhauling the hubs. Took the "field goal' posts down for the trip home and we made I home okay.

Here's Mom's childhood home. Belonged to her Grandfather who was the county/town Doctor then passed to her Mom an now her Niece owns it.....

View from the '5th' floor (which is actually a 2 story attic) doorway standing on the cupelo up there. Yep...it rained all Fri evening.

Hub Rebuild.............

......complete with a 71 (trailer is a 71 according t0 the title) Tag that I found in a crate that had tags from every year my Grandfather had cars.....

Got her home and started tearing into the bunks yesterday... Going to make new ones even though I could still reuse the old ones...Tons of staples in the bunks from many carpet replacements. Gonna chemically treat the rust that turns the rot into harder the nails steel. Really bad voids and low spots I'll fill in with wear putty then paint it off/eggshell white.

-------------

Date Posted: May-13-2015 at 6:32pm
Cool tag. I had assumed you were taking the old truck, but looks like you had a much more comfortable ride.

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 1:49pm
Wow, if I had only knew that the Morfoots were rich I would of been a lot nicer to you in the past. .
Five Story Homes !!!!!!!!!!   
Rare Boats and Seven Kim's . You can not hide money. Honey.

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 6:11pm
Looks great, Tim! Glad to hear you made it safe and sound.

You planning on new springs while it's all torn apart? My #2 made the trip from the ramp to the house when I loaded it for the first time. Not trust worthy with the old springs.

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2015 at 6:48pm
Hadn't planned on it as the previous owner said his Mustang was on it. I'll pull the bolts, check them and the bushings out and replace them more than likely. Cool thing about the shop I'm in. We have machinists in our shop that haven't been too busy here lately and they always like to do something out of the norm. Not sure if the hat bushings are Teflon but will find out soon enough.

I did take the original coupler into work today and blasted it with plastic media. Going to reuse it instead of the replacement that's on there. Bought some rattle can rust restore to hit the trailer with today so that I can get the wear putty on the deep voids and ready the trailer for paint. Having a tough time finding green bunk carpet that's reasonably priced (compared to the other colors) so I may have to just spend few more pennies and go with it.

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:01am
Been awhile since I updated this last. but there hasn't been much to report with nothing going on but a trailer rebuild. Been working on it non-stop since I brought it home. Working 8 hrs a day, then coming home working on a trailer till bout dark settling for a bowl of cereal for dinner on many nights. Sanded all the old paint off, primed, filled all the rusted voided areas from where the bunks were, all new   stainless hardware, leaf spring bushings, new bunks, crash pads and carpet paint, wiring, a few new lights and decals.

Skutsch was coming thru ATL on his way to Orlando so I offered up Motel Morfoot and he took me up on my offer. After driving all the way from Wisconsin he got here and he drove another 30 mins dragging the 'new' trailer down in my Durango while I took the boat down with the truck.. After some water time we got the 72 on its proper trailer which needed some adjusting so I was glad to have a skibud there with me. Thanks again for the help Steve.

A few final finishing touches on the trailer after the swap and she is finally done Along with the proper trailer I decided on a more proper fitting name for the boat. Added 'Custom' tag to let all know what it is when "Kermie' and I are cruising down the road.

Thank yous also to Reid, TRbenj, and Mars for their inputs and answers to the many questions I posed on them. CCFans are awesome!

Also a big shout out to my late father who through the years taught me the skills to do stuff like this. While the rest of the kids were playing wiffle ball, I had to help Dad! The first picture was taken in front of my fathers shop and as I was working I found that my eyes were leaking several times while I was using his tools to fab the new bunks. Mentally, I was expecting at any moment for him to walk up behind me and offer 'takeover' just to help but it just didn't happen. Mom took the pic and after doing so we just stopped for a minute and looked at vast collection of dads wood working tools and had a moment to reflect on the craftsman he was. Thanks Dad!

Here's what we started with:

New GA Registration......

Skutsch !!!!!!

It's Finished!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:06am
The entire project looks great Tim. Your hard work has paid great dividends!

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:22am
Thanks Bill.....It's been a fun project and an ongoing one at that but ready to slow down on it, I did find a few more surprises this past weekend as Kermie didn't wanna stay started. I shoulda known better and discovered it before but it's got an automotive carb and fuel pump on it. I never took the arrestor off when I was giving it the once over till Sat.

Nautiquehunter ha the issue pegged in about 5 mins as we both new it was an ignition problem but wasn't sure what. It kicked over and wanted to start but when I let go of the switch it died. Mike says... I bet ya its the ballast resistor. ....sure nuff....Bingo.....autoparts store actually had one that allowed me to get back on the water,

Now off to purchase a marine Carb but dang those suckers are pricey.....Hory Cow!

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:32am
Looking great Tim. How would you compare it with the 88?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:36am
And pictures of said pump please---

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:52am
Here's what we got under the hood.........

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 1:47pm
I just love the splash Green interior. I actually just love the boat!

-------------
1972 Mustang

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 2:06pm
Tim - upon further review, I think we put the bow stop on backwards. I can shoot you pics of examples if you want.

My bad, I pushed you in the wrong direction...

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 5:49pm
Actually Steve, no need to send pictures as I went and looked at Miss Scarletts carriage and its turned around the opposite way. Not sure if there is a right or wrong way. You and both scratched our heads about it but you were first to point out that the center of the engine is above the axe which is where it should be.

I'm also thinking that the forces applied to the "horse collar" bow stop at the angled legs when in a sudden slam on the brakes stoppage when towing is better the way it is. I would think that the angled support tubes would be stronger at the joint welds in a pushing situation than a pulling. May not matter at this level but I'm sure our structural engineers may chime in.

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:02pm

I'm also thinking that the forces applied to the "horse collar" bow stop at the angled legs when in a sudden slam on the brakes stoppage when towing is better the way it is. I would think that the angled support tubes would be stronger at the joint welds in a pushing situation than a pulling. May not matter at this level but I'm sure our structural engineers may chime in.

Sorry there Tim but definitely stronger the other way around, Buckling is the failure mode likely they way it is, and it will occur with much less force than the tensile failure that would occur if it was mounted in the right direction.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

definitely stronger the other way around, Buckling is the failure mode likely they way it is, and it will occur with much less force than the tensile failure that would occur if it was mounted in the right direction.

....and there you have it......guess I'm turning it around. Thanks Joe!

-------------

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 7:30pm
Looking good Tim! I'm green with envy.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 8:20pm
I kept looking at the bow of the boat and thinking something was wrong the trailer but couldn't place it.

-------------
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM

Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 11:33pm
Well at least it looks like they used a Mustang pump Tim

The original pump that was used looked like this-

Technically not a marine pump since it did not have a sight tube fitting,which I added when I rebuilt mine.
This one would be perfect since you would retain a similar fuel filter but the sight tube fitting will not clear the oil sender extension

So you might just have to go with a regular marine one

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 1:54pm
Thanks Gary, Summit Racing is just down the street and that's where I ordered the new Carb from. Will wait to order the pump once I receive my $15 in Summit Bucks to get it cheaper. Talked to Pete today and he tossed out that he wouldn't be surprised if the Carb was original and that HM never swapped it over to a marine carb. Hmmmmmmmm

May modify the pump and marinize it myself by adding a nipple and sight tube to the new carb..

On to the next project...... One of the previous owners backed into something hard and did pretty good # on the Starboard Stern corner. They did a half @$$ repair using some JB weld 5 minute epoxy in a tube. then painted over it with some antique white paint. I will say this......Its worked for the most part, and no telling how long its been there but It's been bothering me since I got the boat and was gonna wait til winter to rip it off but just can't. So with a chisel and a hammer I dug out all the epoxy. Did a little presanding but stopped to document the repair and post pics. ....Here we go!    

-------------

Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 2:00pm
My dad did the same thing in the same spot on the same boat.... wah . But he never fixed it.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 10:18pm
Yikes Tim. Betcha wish you waited till winter now. Reason #10,001 why it's good to have two boats, Always good to keep a spare...

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: July-13-2015 at 8:25am
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

I believe this was the Wipeout event last year. That's the last time I saw the Godfather and his boat as well.

That also explains why I haven't seen him out on the lake this year. Wonder if he's gonna get another one?

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: July-13-2015 at 9:46pm
Just saying I could make the boat look like new , the boat was great when I had it. Change is good but I like it the way it was !! But oh well

-------------
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....

Date Posted: July-13-2015 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

the boat was great when I had it.

It still IS a great boat Dave! Definitely turning some heads around here. They ain't used to seeing classic Correct Crafts round here and the sound he makes!

-------------

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: July-13-2015 at 9:59pm
I could make a one of a kind. 2016 model !!   Old and new just saying

-------------
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....

Date Posted: July-13-2015 at 10:01pm
So are you saying the Godfather is coming home with a 2016 with a Sublime Green Interior?

-------------

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 1:06am
Oh so that why the G in Gamechanger is highlighted in red. The G stands for Godfather . He's making a brand new mustang that is just like yours Morfoot.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 10:37am
Tim, I saw the pics before I read the text. I thought that was damage that occurred after you got it. That would have really sucked. Glad its just an old injury needing attention.

Justin, You've mentioned the return of a mustang a couple times. Don't hold your breath. The 16 ft Mustang had its run from 65 to 75. In 75 there was both the 16 and 17 and from 76 to 79 just the 17 footer, the only remaining 16 footer being the ski tique (76-81) They tried the 16 ft mustang one more time with a re-introduction in 83, but it must not of sold, as that was the last year, and I am guessing the last year of any 16 foot production inboard. Neat boats, but I doubt they will ever return. No market. Everyone wants a bigger roomier boat, and if they just want something to hot rod around in/on, they will get a jet ski. You don't even see any small (16 footish) outboard runabouts any more....They ruled the waters back when I was your age and a little older.

-------------

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 10:52am
Way to crush a kid's dream dude.

-------------

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 10:56am
tough love. Kid's gotta learn life's harsh realities.

-------------

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 11:03am

-------------

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 11:44am
Ouch Tim. Know any good glass guy's in Atlanta

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-14-2015 at 12:33pm

Way to crush a kid's dream dude.

I just coughed up my breakfast from laughing at your post .

-------------
1972 Mustang

Date Posted: August-09-2015 at 11:59am
So here is the latest update on the 72. Before I removed the damage in the previous post I had the boat out on July 4th weekend and hit something but the boat seemed to drive okay the rest of the day.. no vibration or weird noises so I thought nothing of it. Removed the damage posted previously and as I was doing the final prep work for the repair I noticed the prop looked a little funny. Upon further investigation I saw the prop bent a little and the strut as well.

So I removed both and off the strut went to Delta Props but shoved the bushing out first before I sent it. Got the new Carb from Summit and got it installed then went to work on the repair. Took 3 separate layups to get the repair done. Using supplies that I got from US composites and some scrap cloth lying round the shop I got the repair done. Gelcoat repair is going on as we speak and I've found out that color matching it is an art form. Getting it close but an exact match is very difficult for a rookie and a boat that is 43 years old.

While the strut was out for repair I had a buddy of mine who works in the tubing shop bend me up a stainless fuel line. I got the fittings from summit also and used a wire coat hanger to use as a blueprint. Angle here, angle there and a hair longer than I needed he got it made. Got the strut back , installed it along with the fuel line and leak checked the line/carburetor in the driveway. Took awhile to get fuel in the carb but once it got there. He fired right up. More gelcoat repair to do but with all of major stuff fixed, it's time to hit the water again and I'll fix the many other gelcoat spider cracks and chips in the winter.

I also got a bud in the fixture shop to weld up some scrap iron for me to install a hitch on the front of the Durango so that I can push Kermit into through the woods and into the basement garage.

-------------

Date Posted: August-10-2015 at 12:15pm
Is that where HM ran the line before? Seems like it might be in the way of the valve cover coming off.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: August-10-2015 at 9:20pm
The ugly corner is beginning to look pretty!

And for Chev,   the '83 Mustang was 12,800.oo when you could get an SN for 15,600.oo

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: August-10-2015 at 9:33pm
looking good timbob. great to see you putting the time to restore her to glory, although it doesn't really come as a surprise.

why do you keep calling "Kim Lime Pie" Kermit?

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: August-10-2015 at 10:06pm
Tim,
Wow, you've been busy while I was out most of the weekend. Looking good!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-11-2015 at 10:51am

Is that where HM ran the line before? Seems like it might be in the way of the valve cover coming off.

HM ran a rubber line the same way. It was either there or try and squeeze the routing between the alternator and the engine hoist bracket. Figured fuel that close to electricity wasn't a good idea and kept it away from any moving parts. Shouldn't have to remove the valve cover for anything but if I do then taking 2 mins to remove the fuel line is no big deal.

Thanks Al... Still a work in progress......gelcoat work is proving to be a pain in my arse though.....

Adam.......I guess that's up to the woman I end up staying in a realtionship with....The Current Kim (and yes that is her name ) seems to be a hit with the Lake X crowd and has an open invite to return with or without me so it'll be her call as to if Kim Lime Pie sticks.

Yeah, Pete ....been a little busy since we last talked.

-------------

Date Posted: August-11-2015 at 11:12am
I'm surprised your company has a tube shop, they have any surfing stuff? BTW I'm looking for a red/black tube,if they have one grab it for me.
Originally they used a metal line Tim,I suspect who ever put the automotive carb on changed to a rubber line to make their job easier.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-28-2015 at 11:27am
Been awhile since I updated this post as fall/winter is officially here and the boats are getting a much needed rest from a busy summer. With some decent temps here in Georgia I decided to start the task of fixing a few things that needed to be addressed on the 72. First up was pulling the dizzy and sending it to Reid to have his guy O'haul it as the boat had been running like a top after the Badin Mini and just quit for no reason the last time I took it out. The rotor was almost free spinning and one could turn it with two fingers so off it went.

Digging into the wiring harness to trouble shoot the Tach not working I found that a previous owner hacked up the harness plug and spliced a few wires together and just covered it up with electrical tape. Took a few days (and big shout to Gary S for sending me the wiring diagram) but the engine is now "hardwired" with new ends on, replaced a few small sections of wiring, routed and laced together using high temp lacing cord. Will secure it all with proper stainless steel Adel clamps when I get the dizzy back.

The next project was to fix the cracked fiberglass in front of the rudder fitting support structure. The glass was cracked in a couple places and a tap test indicated the glass was disbonded in several places. ( I had previously removed the tank to trouble shoot the fuel gauge issue I've been having and pulled the tank to pull the float level to Ohm check it out and clean up the surface corrosion on everything I could.)
Upon removing said glass the wood glassed in to strengthen the area was soaking wet. the more I ground the more wet wood I found. A quick call to Joe to ask if the wood would dry out now that it had a way to evaporate the decision was made to just yank to whole thing. It was the right thing to do as the entire piece of wood was soaked thru. No rot yet after 44 years but .the plank wasn't sitting flush with the hull which is evident by the black stain in the picture. a puddle of water was underneath it as the hull wasn't even and water was sitting in the gap. Area prepped and ready to go once I get the coosa board to replace it with.

The primary stringers are solid as a rock and was surprised that the drain holes (that aren't glassed or bilge coated) in the primaries aren't rotten. I hit the areas (to remove the black stain/dirt) with a 'tootsie' roll sander and hit solid wood. {:D]   I'll CPES the area and throw on a couple layers of glass to seal it up while I have the area open.

The plan is to move the steering cable clamp aft about 3 inches as the cable is as far in the clamp as it will go and the rudder steers waaaaaaaay more to the right then the left. The wheels full travel is 3 revolutions total so at 1.5 revolutions the rudder should be at center. IT ISN'T!!!! It takes 2 revolutions to get the rudder at center and the arm in the cable block is as far aft as it will go. Moving the clamp aft will fix this issue.

Moving forward with all the needs to be fixed issues on Kermit I started tearing into the web in front of the battery box as it was rotten and starting to cave in. The glass/bilge coat was the only thing holding the wood together and it was sooooooo soft you could easily put your pinky finger through it. Using a diamond cutting blade in the 90' grinder I cut the glass around the perimeter and started the task of removed the mushy wood and yep you guessed it.............WET FOAM. The floor is solid and no rot so I'm going to try and tunnel the foam out. I'm hoping the foam ends soon as I'm running out of reach. The foam is soaked only a third of the way up from the hull so I see that as a good sign. The battery box supports glued to the hull are solid which I'm surprised as I figured they would be mush. I may try and replace the web with a aircraft floor panel which is aluminum honeycomb core bonded between two panels of fiberglass. Tons of the stuff laying around work. If I go that route I'll post pics of what I used in this thread.

One can filled so far and I'm about half way done...... Loads of fun...HIGHLY recommend everyone give this a try!

Just a Foot note ...... I do this composite stuff for a living but yet this is actually kinda fun tearing into the boat and fixin it up. I must be losing it, have been sniffing glue way to long or hanging around you guys too much! Not sure which it it is.........

-------------

Date Posted: November-28-2015 at 1:01pm
Little chine rash there?

Date Posted: November-28-2015 at 1:40pm
Yes sir......gotta fix that too but wanna start on the bigger stuff first...got about 4 months to get it all done.

-------------

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 9:17am
Ahh. Tim? Will that thing be put back together by next weekend? A ride in Kermit was on my list remember?   

Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 9:59am
That's a maybe.........

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:10am
Looking good, Tim. That rudder port must be the type with the rectangular base and the hull has a recess for it on the bottom?   How's the new trailer working out?

Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:50am
Good call Bruce that's the one. The new trailer has been great. Loading and unloading has been a breeze and it pulls really well. Definitely sits high as compared to the 88. In fact it sits high enough that I had to turn over the drop hitch so that it's raised so the trailer rides a little more close to level when pulling it with the Durango.

Pulled another trashcans worth of foam last night. Cut the floor as I had reached back an arms length and was still pulling out wet foam. The foam musta have been poured way up in the bow as I'm about at an arms length now but the last few inches of foam has been dry at the hull so I will probably stop there......The stringers are still solid even though wet foam has been laying against it for years.. The plan is bond blocks of cpes'd wood to the stringers, and use aircraft floor panel as the removed fiberglass foam floor. Screw it into the blocks of wood bonded to the stringers then seal the seals with a couple of layers of glass. Don't think I'll need to use a bilge coat to cover the fiberglass panel floor as the original vinyl flooring panels will lay on top of that.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 10:54am

aircraft floor panel as the removed fiberglass foam floor. Screw it into the blocks of wood bonded to the stringers then seal the seals with a couple of layers of glass. Don't think I'll need to use a bilge coat to cover the fiberglass panel floor as the original vinyl flooring panels will lay on top of that.

Tim,
What's the panel? A composite/honeycomb? You do seem to have a means of procuring some great materials!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 11:12am
You should see the new engine he has then. How he's going to mount the 13' constant speed prop will have to be seen.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 11:38am
Pete it is indeed a composite panel of aluminum honeycomb core sandwiched between two fiberglass panels. The overall thickness is 1/2 thick I believe. I loaded my truck up years ago of the stuff that was too narrow for A/Cabin floor panels but the stuff is light , strong and perfect for attic flooring. Your head would explode if you saw all the stuff that gets tossed out. My beer fridge is a fridge they got rid of, my work bench in the garage is too. I may never retire as the fringe benefits to boat repair are too great!

Gary, I had to scale down the engine to a 9 Jug P&W.... The engine box for the other motor took out the drivers seat!

-------------

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: November-29-2015 at 1:48pm
Along this line of you would not believe what they throw out, back in Maine Thursday was "dump day" for Sabre Yacths and the scrap piles always had treasures that could be had for the taking.

Pete it is indeed a composite panel of aluminum honeycomb core sandwiched between two fiberglass panels. The overall thickness is 1/2 thick I believe. I loaded my truck up years ago of the stuff that was too narrow for A/Cabin floor panels but the stuff is light , strong and perfect for attic flooring. Your head would explode if you saw all the stuff that gets tossed out. My beer fridge is a fridge they got rid of, my work bench in the garage is too. I may never retire as the fringe benefits to boat repair are too great!

Gary, I had to scale down the engine to a 9 Jug P&W.... The engine box for the other motor took out the drivers seat!

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: December-13-2015 at 11:08pm
Work continues at a pretty good pace and have been able to get all the fabbing done on the various panels that needed replacement. Things are really slow at he so I've been able to get things done in my shop. Gotta cool boss for sure as inquired as to what I was doing and gave me his approval.

Kept pulling out wet foam as far as I could reach so I made the decision to cut the floor in front of the driver seat. Pulled out a total of 3 large trash cans of wet foam and after reaching the airbox, I finally hit foam that wasn't wet. dug another foot and pulled out dry foam so I quit.

Got it all clean up and cpes'd the wood all around so its ready for some new glass and the bulkhead.

Aircraft floor panels with a honeycomb core is what I'm going to use in place of douglas fir. First using the old piece for dimensions I cut two 1/4 thick panels to be glued together to make the replacement 1/2" thick fir board.

]

Stuck the two panels together with carpet so that they could have the tapered cut on around the circumference using the bandsaw. After this is done the panels core was routed out with a special tool 1/4" deep and then filled with resin and microballoons that is blue in color and when mixed basicalled lloks like smurf poo. This is done to basically seal the ends of the panel to prevent moisture intrusion disbonding the panel.

close up view of the panels core and construction.......Does this answer your above question Pete?

Placed a sheet of 250'F supportive adhesive in between the panels and placed it the oven under a vacuum of 20 psi and cured the adhesive.

once cured I cu, t the hole in it for the rudder shaft support bracket, Routed out the core and filled it with' smurf'. Once cured I brought it home mixed up some Vinyl Ester with microballoons and buttered it up and set it in place. Used an anchor and weights to weigh it down.......couple days later its ready for glassing.

Here's a shot of the new web/bulkhead with the fresh air intake hole cut in it. This is just before the 'Smurf' is filled in to seal it up.

Test fitting complete....its ready to be installed.

Pulled out the old dry rotted 'Dryer vent' intake hose and was gonna use the heavier gage aluminum vent hose but after discussing it with a couple guys here I decided to go with PVC.... Pondering it for a bit, I really wanted to go with something lighter so using some out of date epoxy I made air supply ducts by rolling epoxy impregnated fiberglass cloth over a coated piece of 3" PVC. Once cured I cut the glass with a knife and collapsed the tube till I got 3" diameter and epoxied the seam. cured it again then rolled it again in epoxy impregnated cloth. Came out great and they are strong and lightweight.

-------------

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: December-13-2015 at 11:30pm
Looking good Tim

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: December-13-2015 at 11:50pm
Great innovations!

I like the roll-your-own fiberglass tubes, might use that myself sometime.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:10am
Looks great Tim! Way too fancy with the glass work tho!

-------------

Date Posted: December-14-2015 at 6:00am
Tim,
You sure have the knowledge base and tools/equipment at hand for all the high tech composite work. Fantastic! Keep up with the work and I'm sure you won't forget the pictures. One thing, did you prep the bilge by grinding off the old resin before setting in the new honeycomb?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: December-14-2015 at 7:18am
Looking good! And with all that aircraft material she will likely "Fly"!

-------------
Js

Print Page | Close Window