NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'95 Ski GT-40 question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '95 Ski GT-40 question
    Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:16pm
Hey gang!

Our new to us 95 Ski seems to be, for lack of better term, "chugging" at WOT.

The best way I can describe it is compared to a carbed motor not all 4 barrels opening up.

It's up around 42-43mph at 4600 rpm running a 654 ACME 12.5X15.

It's right there, but feels just a tiny tiny bit short of what it should be.

I'd assume the basics..plugs/wires (not sure when those were done last) but didn't know if you guys had any secrets on these GT's.    Fuel could also be to blame I suppose. Haven't run a fresh brand new tank all the way through yet this year.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:29pm
I think Zach has mentioned before that the caps and rotor can have issues, so change that too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:55pm
what rpm's are you running when starts to chug ?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:56pm
4600 RPM. When it's not chugging or trying to open up itll bump up to 4700 and I think it wants to do 4800 but won't get there.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Haven't run a fresh brand new tank all the way through yet this year.

Come back after you get a few gallons of fresh gas through it. Certainly wouldn't hurt to inspect the cap & rotor.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:00pm
We have practice tomorrow night and Sat AM so we'll run a bunch through it then and I can report back. I'd assume that's what's up...or hope anyways :)

I know the GT's had a little thing about the chug situation I guess so thought I'd check.

And I'm bored at work and like to talk about Nautiques
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:02pm
That early gt40 in that hull should pull a 654 to 5200 and at least 46mph. You're a good ways off those numbers, something's up.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That early gt40 in that hull should pull a 654 to 5200 and at least 46mph. You're a good ways off those numbers, something's up.

woah...I was wondering what top RPM should be, Tim.   Is that safe to run 5200? If it ever got there? Can't remember what the desired top is on those.

If that's the case...then yes I'd say something is up.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:09pm
I would change the fuel filter or filters if this boat is new to you and you don't have the history.   If you are going to run it and burn through a tank of fuel I like to add a quart of automatic Transmission fluid to the fuel tank. ATF has many cleaning and lubricating properties that help clean a fuel injection system. It keeps the injectors snapping the way they should. I only do this once per season.
You might wish to put a fuel pressure gauge on it when you run it and see how the pressure is holding up when your power falls off.

The 95 has a temp sender and an oil pressure sender that can put your engine into limp mode if they go off at the wrong time. My coolant sender started making my engine stumble when the raw water pump was not putting out enough water to keep the temp constant. I guess I should be appreciative since I was able to fix it with no damage done.
I run a Acme 224 Prop and RPM above 5,000 RPM and top speed of 48.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:14pm

My thoughts exactly with a 654
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:26pm
4800-5000 is optimal for best all around performance but 5200 won't hurt it.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:53pm
Thanks guys! I was wondering what top RPM should be on that thing.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 4:59pm
When the GT40 is running good it is pretty impressive for a stock engine.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:01pm
I've always been a fan of the GT40's. Seems so strong.

Mark, side note, your boat and trailer combo is in my top 5 Nautique favorites. You can't beat red black and white on the water.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:05pm
Hey Mark, you say you run a 224 prop. We run a 1442 on our Sport Nautique and the tranny knocks or dampener plate makes a little tick at idle with that thing. Does the 224 do that to you?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:12pm
The tick is caused by the damper being worn or the idle needs to be adjusted, even if it only shows up with a particular prop, it is not the true cause.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:14pm

The tick is caused by the damper being worn or the idle needs to be adjusted, even if it only shows up with a particular prop, it is not the true cause.

Interesting...Sporty only has about 140 hours on it!   Doesn't do that on any other prop was kind of my thinking..
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:29pm
The bigger diameter of the 1442 combined with the high pitch could be just loading the drivetrain enough to lower the RPM and then rattle.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The bigger diameter of the 1442 combined with the high pitch could be just loading the drivetrain enough to cause the rattle.

This is what I've been told in the past, HW.   That 224 has even more pitch than the 1442 so that's why I asked about it.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:33pm
In the mid 90's we had some 3/8" fuel hose that the inner liner tended to collapse on the suction side of the fuel delivery system. If it has it's original fuel lines in it I would be prone to go completely through the fuel system from the pick up tube and anti siphon fitting forward, inspecting and changing out the original fuel supply and return hoses, and checking that the vent hose was clear as well as the vent. along with a quick tear down of both fuel pumps, especially the low pressure pump as gradew seems to accumulate in the screen in the top of the pump.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

In the mid 90's we had some 3/8" fuel hose that the inner liner tended to collapse on the suction side of the fuel delivery system. If it has it's original fuel lines in it I would be prone to go completely through the fuel system from the pick up tube and anti siphon fitting forward, inspecting and changing out the original fuel supply and return hoses, and checking that the vent hose was clear as well as the vent. along with a quick tear down of both fuel pumps, especially the low pressure pump as gradew seems to accumulate in the screen in the top of the pump.

You're killin me Jody. hahahaha Thanks for that, I think   
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 10:06pm
Fuel pressure check.......

The early 95 GT40 without the FCC should still have a "Schrader" valve on fuel rail.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2015 at 10:50pm
On a side note Mark, Skidim is listing new for '15, PCM ECM's for all GT40 efi engines at $572.69
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:34am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If you are going to run it and burn through a tank of fuel I like to add a quart of automatic Transmission fluid to the fuel tank. ATF has many cleaning and lubricating properties that help clean a fuel injection system. It keeps the injectors snapping the way they should. I only do this once per season.

Since we have a GT-40 in the Sport I'm following this post in order to be potentially prepared if things go south. Is the ATF idea good? Thoughts ?

Sorry to jump off topic but this. caught my attention
1994 Sport Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 12:35am
I too was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the ATF idea.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

On a side note Mark, Skidim is listing new for '15, PCM ECM's for all GT40 efi engines at $572.69

I had a lot of fun with my ECM project for the GT40. I started it thinking that down the road I may build a stroker engine. I run the DIYPNP ECM all the time now and I am continually analysing and updating the tuning.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 7:40am
I would rather see Marvel Mystery added to the gas than ATF. Both are very similar with being heavy on detergents but the Marvel is designed as a top cylinder lube. The ATF is more on the hydraulic oil side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 9:25am
Thanks Peter! So if I would consider doing it, then with Marvel, but is this needed or a preventative thing to do? Saw this come up theb1st time in this post.
1994 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 9:48am
Fuel injector cleaner costs about the same as atf last I checked.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2015 at 11:31am
I've heard of guys running ATF and Jet-A in diesels for clean up but not in gassers doesn't mean it can't be done just never heard of it till now.
As for the GT -40 I run the 1442 runs 48 - 49 and will spin it up to 5200 and I'll run It there for a long time getting down the lake. Won't hurt a healthy 351
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic