NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bass Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 8:25pm
I lucked out when mine failed and it injected too much oil so the engine wasnt damaged. my alarm never went off either. and it worked at the time.
There are miles of debates of people trusting these pumps and arguing that bypassing them is a mistake. And its true, when these pumps are working they work good, they cut back on the ratio at idle to keep from fouling and increase the ratio with rpm. I feel the engineers had all the best intentions but in the field it just didn't quite deliver when it came to reliability. so do what you feel is best, but from my experiance any failure point that can be eliminated, should be.
I personally just think people get afraid of math and getting the ratio wrong. 50:1 is what is desired.

If i remember you just unplug the wiring harness that goes to the pump in order to disable the warning alarm and lights in the tach. then i believe you just cut and plug the oil feed line airtight. the unit also encases the fuel pump so it stays on the engine.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 6:52pm
Im at the Space Coast - Palm Bay..

Good info Tony...the previous owner told me it was running but i take that with a pinch of salt. I have a compression tester which i will check before spending a dime on it. If it looks like it has 120+ psi I will attempt to get it running. Thanks for the heads up regarding the VRO pump, i will bypass it if I decide to proceed with this O/B...
I will keep you all updated. Project will start this weekend.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 11:40am
I'm not super familiar with these boats, but those old johnsons were not a favorite in the world of outboard engines. I owned one, same era but it was the v4 140hp. with the VRO pump. best thing you can ever do to that engine is bypass that VRO and mix the fuel in the tank. its very simple to do, and eliminates a HUGE failure point in those engines and will set your mind at ease while zipping across a lake at WOT.
If the engine was pulled off and discarded onto the deck i would have to make one assumption, That someone was running across a lake and the VRO pump failed, leaned it out and melted the pistons.
So before you spend any money you may want to get some compression numbers and take a good look inside those cyls if possible.
also dont touch the idle adjustment because it is actually part of the timing circuit in those engines.
I don't know what your investment or total endgame is with this boat but you may want to think about looking into re-power which will cover all of your engine wiring because usually O/B will come with a complete harness and controls minus steering.
whenever i look at a boat with an O/B, the boat is what i look at last, the motor is where all the value lies.
Downside will be initial cost, but the plus will be overall satisfaction and reliability.
I believe i still have a factory manual for my johnson, If i can find it, it may be helpfull to you, i plan on never looking at another one of those motors for the rest of my career so its yours if i can find it.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2015 at 11:19am
What part of Florida Are you in?
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 11:26pm
THanks Peter....I take some pics tomorrow and get them up.

The O/B is an Evinrude 115....currently lying on top of the boat...dont even know if it runs or not...but an engine is an engine to me, if it has compression i will get it going.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 11:22pm
Jim,
Welcome to CCfan and a CC Bass ownership. I don't feel you will find much as far as manuals go. The O/B manual is probably the only thing available in writing. What is hanging on the transom?

Pictures would be great. Use the "post reply" rather than the "quick reply". Click on the tree icon with the up arrow. The box that comes up will allow you to browse your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
h9alyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h9alyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2015 at 11:12pm
So...I officially entered the world of boating and Correct Craft Boating no less today.
I was given a 1986 Bass Nautique, in a less then favorable condition. I hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew, I have restored several cars in my day but this will be my first boat restoration.
I will post some pics up as soon as i figure out how to.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a workshop manual or owners handbook for this vessel. I will need to completely rewire this boat and redo the livewell system and the trolling motor system.
I suspect i will be here on a daily basis looking for help once i get going with the project, i am giving myself 12 months to get it ready.

Thanks and wish me luck...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic