NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New '93 For the M3Fan family

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2015 at 5:23pm
I did a full refresh on one side of the boat so far. This is a lot of work and includes a 4-stage compounding/polish (wetsand on just the rear foot or so of the red stripe, then 3 stages of cutting/polishing compound on the whole side). Then I replaced the big side decals, the small rear side decals, and then finally the pinstripe. I have the other entire side to go but I'll rest a bit before I take that on.

You might recall I did this on the 2000 SN a couple years ago (except replacing the main side decals) so I'm not entirely new to this process.

The gel on the 93 was pretty much perfect other than some oxidation on just the tapered portion of the side of the boat, by the 1993 Singapore sticker (which was a total PITA to get off, BTW). The side decals were a bit beat up, and so was the pinstripe. It all had to be replaced and buffed out to make the boat go from a 8.5 to a 10 on the outside.

For sticker/pinstripe removal I used a hairdryer and a plastic scraper. Some stickers came off easily, some where absolutely horrible to get off. The two worst ones were the little foil PCM sticker and the 93 Singapore sticker. Both came off in a million little pieces and the glue residue had to come off with acetone. The rest came off easily with some heat and patience, including the pinstripe which means I can return my eraser wheel to Amazon.

Rearmost oxidation and the dreadful Singapore sticker in mid removal:

Working the HF rotary like a boss, this is a nice ab workout.

Just the faintest ghosting from the side decals, just enough to align the new ones by.

Mmmmmmhmmmm!

The wheels. The heavy polish was cutting the red gel like a crime scene. Very nice compound. Props to Timmy B, again, for coming up with the 3-stage 3M compound and pad combo that works so well for these boats.

I was a rebel and put the side decals on completely dry. Stakes were high at 114.00 a side. I had no problems, really, doing this. I did the SKI portion first, then cut the backing on Nautique to NAU, TIQ, UE and taped the whole thing up there. Hinged the sections up, peeled out the backing, then carefully applied. These decals are dead nuts on the shadows of the old ones. Trying to see the old shadows in the polished gel while getting the decals aligned was like looking at one of those 3D fractal images and trying to get them to pop out. All of a sudden you'd see the ghost image perfectly, then it would disappear. Interesting. These decals are incredibly high quality, from Nautiqueparts.com. Exact 100% matches in every detail, even the circle R sticker at the end. Very impressive.

Note half the backing is off, I lightly scored the backing sections using a sharp razor.

The result, pinstripe on as well.

Rear stickers for bonus points

One side down, one to go!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2015 at 6:17pm
Joel,
I certainly understand the need for a rest. It sure is tough on the arms. It looks great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 12:38am
So, this is interesting. Don't count the eraser wheel out! I started on the decal removal on the other side and though the Singapore decal came right off, the AWSA and PCM foil stickers were again only coming off in dust-sized pieces. Just for the heck of it I threw the eraser wheel into a cordless drill and HOLY cow. No fuss, no muss, it ERADICATED both decals without even the slightest chance of damage to the gel. We're talking 5 minutes to basically make both decals completely disappear, cutting through them like butter. I wouldn't count this tool out, ever, or discount it's effectiveness in any way. Had I thought to break it out on the other side it would have saved me a half hour at least on the tougher decals. Highly recommended timesaver and in my actual hands-on experience it would be really difficult to damage the hull with it.

Highly recommended for stubborn decal removal!

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 11:49pm
Got the other entire side done today. Flew through it vs. the starboard side but that's experience for you.

Thanks to Marty I also got the little details like the ethanol sticker and the the-boat-will-murder-you-the-first-chance-it-gets red warning sticker

I also spent an hour scraping the hell out of the underside of the swim platform, again mercilessly drenched in extremely strong wood sealer/varnish/whatever. This took several rounds of full-strength stripper to get through, literally using the whole quart of it plus an orbital for the most stubborn parts.

I would be willing to bet that both Pete and Tim felt a disturbance in the force a few years ago when this platform was sealed. "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2015 at 1:35am
just lookin' awesome Joel & fun to follow your pictures

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 12:50am

Well, this was a big weekend for the '93. Trailered her 300 miles up to the cabin successfully. Never got a chance to change the springs or the tires, so those were a roll of the dice. No problem, though. Trailered like a dream. The super-tall trailer had a huge effect on gas mileage, though. I've never seen my MPG gauge read lower than it did with this rig- ~10MPG with that trailer and the Thule car topper! Yikes!

Here she is in her new native habitat (below). And yes- the repaired speedometer works! The boat certainly wasn't quick to warm up with 28F temps the night before and 47F water (I think Beth killed it about 6 times before it would hold idle), but after a few minutes of warmup we were buzzing around the lake happily.

Typically we get launched at a resort a few doors down by a tractor that drives into the lake a hundred feet or so, but the tractor battery was dead so the resort owner just took his HD Chevy pickup and drove THAT into door-high water without a care in the world, to launch it. That was pretty impressive/crazy. Wish I had taken a picture. Water was bumper/doorsill high. Real "git 'er done" moment for sure.

Then I turned around and hauled the imposter back home for what should be a quick, no negotiation sale. This thing looks like a canoe in my garage compared to the SN, and tows like a feather. Such a tiny rig! Pretty, though, for sure. Great "trailer anywhere" rig.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2015 at 11:56pm
awesome...but I gotta ask..there is a cover on the lift...right?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:01am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

john

Com'on, brother! You bet. By the time the canopy was on and the boat was tucked under it you couldn't see anything so I decided to go for the skeletal shot.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:08am
Looks Great Joel, I guess the SN is heavier and sits taller than the MC but worse than that is that car topper! I hate towing with them, even a low profile one like yours can just kill your mileage.

Hope you guys have a great summer, We need to get up there eventually to check your place out and run around those lakes. Some day!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:44am
Joel, how did your decals match up with the old ones? Mainly the side Ski Nautique decal and the transom "Nautiques, World Championship Towboat". My decal guy ( (subcontranctor for local CC dealer) who's gonna buff the boat out recommends keeping my transom decals since they're 95% good and he claims he hasn't seen a transom decal match up well so far.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 12:11pm
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Joel, how did your decals match up with the old ones? Mainly the side Ski Nautique decal and the transom "Nautiques, World Championship Towboat". My decal guy ( (subcontranctor for local CC dealer) who's gonna buff the boat out recommends keeping my transom decals since they're 95% good and he claims he hasn't seen a transom decal match up well so far.

The side decals lined up exactly 100% I have heard of the spacing being off on the earlier replacement decals (89-90) but these were dead nuts. I'm super impressed with those decals, whoever was in charge of creating those reproductions is dialed in. They certainly looked newer than NOS.

I actually did not replace the black transom decals, they looked fine so I left them.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Looks Great Joel, I guess the SN is heavier and sits taller than the MC but worse than that is that car topper! I hate towing with them, even a low profile one like yours can just kill your mileage.

Hope you guys have a great summer, We need to get up there eventually to check your place out and run around those lakes. Some day!

I love our Thule. It's extremely quiet and holds what seems like an infinite amount of ski gear. We run it all summer on that car, basically. Certainly does take off a few MPG, though!

And yes, you do have to get up there.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

RJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 12:40pm
Hey Joel! Nice find.
You should stop in sometime as you're headed north. You have to drive right past my place (hwy g just before 7 mile)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Todd,
I'd be curious about why his decals don't match 95% of the time. With a mismatch, I feel he's worried about ghosting that won't come out even with a wet sand. This is a perfect case for a tracing, scanning and cutting the decals.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 7:14pm
They're not his decals. He has customers supply them so I'm willing to bet the decals would be coming from any of the known sites we use. I figured he's worried about ghosting too as am I but he only said it was a concern with the transom decals. Idk, figured I'd ask Joel as he's a few weeks ahead of me on the same project. I seen the detail guys work which looked good and came recommended to me by other ccf members.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2015 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Todd,
I'd be curious about why his decals don't match 95% of the time. With a mismatch, I feel he's worried about ghosting that won't come out even with a wet sand. This is a perfect case for a tracing, scanning and cutting the decals.

Pete - I think he was saying that, in his opinion, the existing decals were "95 out of 100" or "9.5 out of 10" (I believe that was what the 95% was referencing). And do not need to be replaced.

Having said that, could you explain the "tracing, scanning and cutting the decals process?" How do you get from a tracing to a decal that looks "factory" made. Maybe my hand is not steady enough... To much coffee perhaps?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2015 at 1:21am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

john

Com'on, brother! You bet. By the time the canopy was on and the boat was tucked under it you couldn't see anything so I decided to go for the skeletal shot.

thats what I figured but just had to ask. Boat is way to nice to sitting out!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:28pm
Quick update on the boat- damn do we love it. It skis and drives great and starts instantly, all the time. Say what you want about the ProTec system but when it's working it's great. No complaints here. We've put at least 10 hours on this boat so far and it never gets old!

Here we are all dolled up for the 4th of July boat parade up at the lake, and as a bonus my Dad wanted to drive for the parade. He also skied behind it, as did my mom.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

terminaldegree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminaldegree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2015 at 10:39am
Your boat looks great - good work! (and a lot of it...)
I know what you mean about the towing; our F150 gets only 12 mpg highway towing our sport @ 65mph.

1996 Sport Nautique GT40/Acme 422
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2015 at 1:32pm
Just dropped the boat off for storage after a great 23rd (or 22nd, who knows) season (and first season for us). We put almost 40 hours on this boat this year- and it's the vacation house boat. It's almost double what we put on the 2000 (our at-home boat) this year. Never had any problems with either all summer.

While it was up there over the summer, it's ridiculously lame Eagle trailer was brought back down and totally re-bunked. I used full 2x6 lumber and basically perfect bunk carpet from Menard's bulk carpet section. Then that trailer served duty for my 2000 while we waited for our new Ram-Lin to arrive from Orlando. After that, the trailer again served duty holding my buddy's 91 SN while he repaired his trailer. So, lots of use out of the dual boat/dual trailer scenario for sure this summer.

Pro-Tec held out just fine all year and now I have Todd's spare coil pack if mine should go unannounced, which is great. Even when I started it this weekend in 48* water and air after sitting for 3+ weeks it fired right up. It was running rich, lumpy, and was pissed at me but it fired right up nonetheless. Still itching to convert to DUI but really trying hard to cool the wallet off and just enjoy ProTec while it works.

I did manage to get two new Airguides from Jody that I'll install next year. Old ones work but are a little faded- these replacements are brand new and as crisp as could be.

Edit: I should add that I also replaced the spotter seat bottom cushion. Had a few cracks in it so I ordered the Christine's replacement skin and it's an absolutely perfect match.

Couple more pics from the summer:

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 3:13pm
How, very nice. Sounds like you an awesome season.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 3:34pm
NWZ is just plain sexy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Pro-Tec held out just fine all year and now I have Todd's spare coil pack if mine should go unannounced,

Joel,
I can hear the tick, tick, tick from 12 miles away and it's in storage not running! At least you have the spare coil and of course the option to convert. Plenty of help here if a conversion is ever needed. By then, maybe they'll have figured out where to source the 12 volts from!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

NWZ is just plain sexy.

What Tim said.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 7:59pm
I liked the Pro-tec coil pac? Until it died, or melted like the wicked witch of the west.
Js
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 9:37pm
Joel that boat is so pretty that I can do you a favor and take that ugly, worn out, underpowered, 2000 with the nasty rusty trailer off your hands 😃😃😃.

I'd be doing you a favor if you think about it.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2015 at 10:52pm
That is very Sweet! I can feel the excitement of the 93 SN Pro Boss since I just picked my almost perfect 93 up this summer! Thanks for the pics.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 5:42pm
Joel,

I am just curious. Did you sell the Master Craft yet? I am not interested in buying it, I just thought that it was a very good looking boat. It was a great color combo in great condition.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Joel,

I am just curious. Did you sell the Master Craft yet? I am not interested in buying it, I just thought that it was a very good looking boat. It was a great color combo in great condition.

Donald

It was sold instantly. I rolled it home on a Sunday and it rolled out of my driveway that Tuesday. Talking to the new owner it also had a very good summer.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2015 at 6:27pm
Very Cool.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic