NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ACME 540 or 542 for show skiing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ACME 540 or 542 for show skiing?
    Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:50am
So I have been through a bunch of threads on this topic, but I want to check one last time before I wip out the credit card. I am using a 75 SN with the 351W. My agony is over the small difference between the 542 and the 540. I would like as much power as possible to pull pyramids and ballet lines, but I do not want to mess up the finesse acts. Will the 542 produce undesirable effects on doubles or swivel chicks? How about the barefooters? Will it make ATB's harder? I know it will be better for the wakeboarders.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:54am
542!

We ran a 12" of pitch on our 409 Ski Nautiques and Ski Centurions WITH reduction transmissions. You have far less pulling power but used 542s seem to be much harder to come by. A 540 would feel better than what you currently have but I would without a doubt go 542 if buying new anyway.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:06am
Hey HW,
That is what I wanted to hear. I know you mentioned the 542 a couple weeks ago, but then the more research I did, the 540 kept coming up. The boat is running really well right now after a "Backfoot Special" tune up, and now that everyone is getting used to it, the boat is pulling larger acts, so I wanted to make sure it was prepared to get the ladies off the dock!
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:22am
Tom,

Do you realize you can get the best price, that I know of, by clicking on the Delta Propeller Site Sponsor Banner? They have great prices on these props. Also, they have free shipping over $200.00 and if you enter the CCFAN promo code, that is on the banner, you also get another discount. The 540 comes out to about $350.00 where Ski Dim wants over $400.00. I am not sure about the 542's, but should be the same.

FYI,

Donald

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:37am
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

I wanted to make sure it was prepared to get the ladies off the dock!
Tom
Get smaller ladies and you won't have to pull as hard

Reminds me of the old joke...how do you get a (insert college football rival here) cheerleader into your dorm room?

Grease her hips and push!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:58am
Acme props are typically priced according to their diameter (larger is more expensive), blade count (more is more), and quantity (more is less, but this really only applies to dealers). So, a pitch change alone shouldn't change the price.

I'd bet jbear would let you trial his 540, It's just been collecting dust, but you'll love it and never realize the potential of the 542.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 8:11am
So the 542 will give top end numbers desirable for barefooting? If you go with a 542, man I gotta check that out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 8:28am
No, the 540 is barely enough prop for a lightly loaded 351w powered 2gen SN... 4600-5000 is a typical range they'll spin, so you're already marginally beyond the boats power band (4400-4600). 542 will turn 150-200rpm higher and likely slow you down... But it'll pull a little harder out of the hole and handle extra skiers a little better. If it were a 2001 I'd say 542 all the way for show ski use, but I doubt you can go wrong either way on a 2gen... Either would be a night and day difference to the federal and perform admirably.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 9:55am
I gotta agree with the 542. Especially on a show ski boat. It'll still have enough speed for show footing. You want the extra holeshot for pulling more people on that boat. If it was more for personal use I'd say the 540.

Good to hear it's running good for you yet Tom. I did notice when we tuned that up that it was a little lazy right out of the hole but then I'm used to JBears and my boat. I haven't driven a 240HP stocker in a very long time.
Remember that we can always throw a set of GT40P's on it and an intake and that thing would easily pull a four high pyramid then.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:03am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Good to hear it's running good for you yet Tom. I did notice when we tuned that up that it was a little lazy right out of the hole but then I'm used to JBears and my boat. I haven't driven a 240HP stocker in a very long time.

How much of that could because of possible water in the foam?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Todd,
Some have pulled their boats over a truck scale to get a rough idea how much extra weight there is in the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
84SNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:28am
Sorry to cut in... but maybe you guys could help me. I have an 84 2001 with a 350W with original prop. I would be looking to replace it this spring. 540 or 542... I am pretty much just a cruiser and occasional skier. No fancy stuff or anything. Which prop would be best..thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:43am
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:53am
84, like Tim said, the 540 on a properly tuned 240 HP pre 1987 2001 hull will net you between 4500-4600 rpms and right about 45-46 mph as well as a nasty hole shot.

Going to a CNC propeller also has lots of pros besides just acceleration performance. I find it much easier to modulate speed with the throttle especially at speeds you aren't fully planed at. I also find it helps tracking and steering feel as well. Not to mention greater blade surface area makes quite a bit of difference in stopping distance when you pull out of the throttle quickly.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:56am
Thanks guys for all the inputs. Todd, on the foam thing, I found that on the narrow body boats like ours, there just does not seem like all that much foam compared to the bigger boats starting in 82 with the 2001 series. I just don't see it as that much of a problem compared to my old 89 that I finally weighed just to relieve myself of the nagging doubt. It weighed out fine (I forget the numbers I used) but on this 75, it sits in the water well with the platform high and dry and uniform, so I am not worried about the foam.
84SNautique, what are you using the boat for? The short answer from all the research says that on that boat, you will get an immediate increase in performance with either the 540 or 542, the decision you need to make is the 540 is for more general skiing, and the 542 is for more torque for lower speed activities like wakeboarding at 20-24 mph or in my case, pulling larger groups of skiers. What I found from cruising the web is that on that 2001, both props reduce vibration, increase hole shot, the 540 may give you 1 or 2 mph and the 542 may subtract 1 mph. Both props seem to stop the boat faster because of the drag from the greater surface area, and some folks have noticed the boat "walks" a bit more in reverse (whatever that means).
Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 10:58am
I should have just waited for Zach to answer. What he said.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:20am
Tom, walk is the direction the boat goes when in reverse. Since the prop isn't designed to work backwards it sort of "bats" at the water with the fat trailing edge hence pushing the boat in the direction of the reverse propeller rotation.

CC boats back left all others and later model V drive CC boats back to the right.

This is a huge PITA at our docks because we need to back to the left in a short area to head out of the channel. I hated every minute we had dads Mastercraft because of that and I let him know it every day.

I didn't really notice mine walking anymore than before but it does really make reverse throttle input much more responsive if you get into a situation you need to move backwards quickly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Really hard to say. Like Tom says, it sits really nice in the water but it has to be wet IMHO. There are too many variables that would determine degraded performance and wet foam is just one of them.
Add in a completely "new" boat in need of a tune up and overall performance is purely based on experience. Admittedly, my experience on a 240HP stocker is pretty limited when the only thing I've driven for the last decade is 290HP or more.
I do know a tune up helped immensely and it runs really nice but as I stated, just a bit lazy on initial holeshot. 48-49MPH on two different GPS WOT. RPM is unknown as the tach is junk and only reads 3200-3400 at WOT and the speedos are junk. A new prop will also make a HUGE difference in it's present form. Add heads and an intake and who cares about the wet foam. It's a cheap show tug that runs admirably.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 11:44am
It's amazing how lazy a junk federal can make a boat feel coming out of the hole and in the midrange (even more so with a load behind you) if you're used to running Acmes. That will wake the boat up big time- that and a healthy 351w (even at 240hp) in the small 2gen hull is a strong performer. More so than even the performance upgrades- though that is a good 2nd step to consider if you want more pulling power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

CC boats back left all others and later model V drive CC boats back to the right.

Zach,
Is that port or starboard?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:15pm
You guys are killing me about all the benefits and performance out of the 540 It's going to be a long couple of months before I try my new 540 out At least I could stare at it on the trailer
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:21pm

I gotta agree with the 542. Especially on a show ski boat. It'll still have enough speed for show footing. You want the extra holeshot for pulling more people on that boat. If it was more for personal use I'd say the 540.

Remember that we can always throw a set of GT40P's on it and an intake and that thing would easily pull a four high pyramid then.

If it lasts another year I may consider that. It will be hard to sneak that one under Mrs Seacamper's money radar.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:27pm

It will be hard to sneak that one under Mrs Seacamper's money radar.

Tom,
Separate checking accounts and credit cards are the key. It's worked for me all my married life!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Zach,
Is that port or starboard?

Whats that Pete hahhaa

Good thing your Wife doesn't read the forums Pete !! haha.

I hear Mrs. Seacamper rules the money roost with an Iron Fist!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 12:47pm

If it lasts another year I may consider that. It will be hard to sneak that one under Mrs Seacamper's money radar.

Jesus Tom, you're a pilot. Another trip to the mile high club and what money radar are we talking about?

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:35pm

Good thing your Wife doesn't read the forums Pete !! haha. I hear Mrs. Seacamper rules the money roost with an Iron Fist!

My only concern is when the package shows up at the front door. Many times I will have items shipped to work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:42pm
Such a stealthy boat addict haha.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 1:50pm
The other woman is a Correct Craft.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 2:47pm

Good thing your Wife doesn't read the forums Pete !! haha. I hear Mrs. Seacamper rules the money roost with an Iron Fist!

My only concern is when the package shows up at the front door. Many times I will have items shipped to work.

THAT is why I come here. For sage wisdom!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2015 at 2:59pm

Oh man, I second that - I gotta find an alternate ship location...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic