Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas for fitting my boat in my gargage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

One of the Lanier CCFans does this at a big hi-tech place that even has a "launch app" where he just selects a time......

That would me and it was OK. Only problem is the hrs of operation...so for this season I just reserve3d a slip at a marina (covered) and will have a HydroHoist installed. Since we don't get ice here and I can do all maintenance on the hoist, that seems to be a viable option... might even sell the trailer ;-)
1994 Sport Nautique
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide and 22'7" from coupler to the tip of the platform brackets. I would guess that your 176 would be a similar size once loaded- so it would solve your width issue but still require the $500 tongue modification like was pictured above in order to reduce your length. For short distance towing, I would think you'd be fine... Under the 3500 lb gvwr, even if not by much. But I wouldn't sell your heavier duty original prestige for any long hauls.

I would guess you're looking at $1500 or so to get an older #3 set up the way you want it... $500 each to buy it, make it reliable, and modify the tongue. Add the removable platform brackets and you're in the $1800 range all said and done. Not chump change but I understand your motivation- there's something to be said for convenience!!

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. I originally thought the #2 was bigger than it actually is. I would keep the original trailer for sure for going up north, green lake, plus resale value.

I'm thinking if I can get my hands on a decent shape #3, cut 2'8" off, weld a plate with a hinge, and put some swim brakets on..........I'm in business.

Depending on the cost of the trailer it shouldn't be that expensive overall.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

My garage will not fit it length wise, and it is also 6" too wide.

How wide (inside and out) is your Prestige? The beam of the 176 is 88". What is the width at the chine?

My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide

It was presumed #2 and 5-lug #3 fenders were the same, but they must be wider. 90" - 9" - 9" = 72". Tim measured 68.75" inside clearance on his 5-lug #3.

Original fender from my '78 #2:
Dimensions:

The 176 will fit on the 6-lug #3.

I actually lined up my fender with Brad's '86 today and they're similar, but definitely not the same. His were 1" wider

Surprisingly I cannot find the width of a 6-lug #3.
Originally posted by Quigs85SN2001 Quigs85SN2001 wrote:

My '85 Width is 8' from the outside edges of the fenders. I have an original type 3 trailer.
Unfortunately 85's were a changeover year on the lowboys. Could be a 5-lug #3 or a 5 or 6-lug lowboy. Quigs doesn't have a Diary entry to verify. He was at the mini MI reunion in 2007 but I doubt anyone remembers how many nuts were on his wheels. The 5-lug #3 lowboys don't appear any narrower than the later 80s trailers though. I believe Correct Craft was simply borrowing the heavier axle.

And they say an 88 #3 (all were low-boys by 86) won't fit through an 8' door, so it is at least 96".
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I have a 89 on original CC "Type 3 trailer". It was also a tight squeeze getting it through the 2.4m door.

Call Lewy's 95" after the conversion. So, sounds like a 6-lug #3 is right at 96", and may or may not fit through an 8' door depending on how it's trimmed out. 96" - 10" - 10" = 76". Here is a Ski Nautique (91" beam) barely squeezing on a 6-lug #3. 91" - 76" = 15"/2 = 7.5" taper. Tough to tell how big the gap is here. Call it a 9" taper?

I can't believe this wasn't mentioned, but what is your maximum parking width?

The math indicates the 176 will not fit inside the fenders of a 5-lug #3 '80 model. You'd have to taper in over 10" on each side. I don't see or have reason to believe the 176 would taper any harder than a Ski Nautique. I'm wondering if an 82-84 5-lug #3 (non lowboy) trailer is any wider than Tim's '80. The beam of the 2001 did grow 6" wider. Who's got an 82-84 tall #3 to measure? A little closer for comfort going over the tops of these fenders.

If a 6-lug #3 is too wide take the fenders off a 5-lug #3!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:32pm
Now.........who has one?

I know you guys are sitting on a pile of trailers somewhere.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:35pm
I'll measure accurately as soon as I get home.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:47pm
fabricating that post was exhausting. i think i wore out my F12
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Dude, that has to be one of the best technical analysis with annotations and illustrations EVER!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 4:32pm
Lol all the pictures except for the last one were borrowed from someone smarter than him.

'80 and '83 (standard, non delux, non lowboy) trailers I have are the same dimensionally. Fenders may be shorter on the 83- does a 2001 on an early trailer fit between the fenders or will the hull clear (vertically)?

The dimensions shown on the #2/#3 above were 60's/early 70's versions. Wishbone frame shapes are the same as the later versions (thru 83) but the crossmembers fore/aft of the axle are wider on the 76+ trailers due to the addition of the square fenders.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 4:43pm

'80 and '83 (standard, non delux, non lowboy) trailers I have are the same dimensionally.

Are you sure all the dimensions are the same? The wishbones may be the same, which would warrant moving the axle forward since the 2001 doesn't appear to hang off the back any more than a second gen. However, the 2001 does looks like it has more hull hanging over the sides while maintaining a proportional overall width on the trailer. Since it is a wider boat, I'd assume something has to give, which may be a narrower fender but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

Fenders may be shorter on the 83- does a 2001 on an early trailer fit between the fenders or will the hull clear (vertically)?

I don't know.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 6:41pm

'80 and '83 (standard, non delux, non lowboy) trailers I have are the same dimensionally.

Are you sure all the dimensions are the same? The wishbones may be the same, which would warrant moving the axle forward since the 2001 doesn't appear to hang off the back any more than a second gen. However, the 2001 does looks like it has more hull hanging over the sides while maintaining a proportional overall width on the trailer. Since it is a wider boat, I'd assume something has to give, which may be a narrower fender but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

Fenders may be shorter on the 83- does a 2001 on an early trailer fit between the fenders or will the hull clear (vertically)?

I don't know.

I didn't write the dimensions down but I did put a tape measure on both the '81 and '83. Same frame, crossmember location and axle. Fenders look a little shorter in height on the '83.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 1:10am
Kevin and Tim......you guys are on fire. We have reached the world series of correct craft nerd talk. Very cool.

I just measured the garage.

21' x 95"

Why do I feel like that 95" dimension just screwed me?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 1:29am
If you were a bold enough renter take the garage door jamb weather strip off    But that's still sounds like your cutting it WAY too close for squeezing through
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 12:44am
Is there a trailer that will fit in a 95" door?

If not

I will move to the next option, which is finding a trailer I can't get as short as possible to fit straight in the garage I've been using. Maybe that's were a #3 would come into play. I can add a swing hinge and removable platform so I don't have to park it sideways in a 2 car garage.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2015 at 7:55am

My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide.

It does in fact fit through a trimmed out 8' door- though with only a few inches of clearance on either side, it's tight.

The real question is whether a 176 will fit on an earlier (non-delux) #3. The issue is the potential fender interference with the wider boat. We know a tsc fits on a delux #3 (pictured above) so what you need is for someone to measure that trailer (I have a delux #4 which may or may not be the same), and we can compare it to the inside-inside dimension of the earlier trailer. It's possible they're the same width, though I suspect the delux may be wider.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 1:00am
Steve and I did some measuring on my hull last week. It turns out the brochure's number for the beam of my boat (88") is from rub rail to rub rail.

The hull is tapered inward from the rub rail and the width of the actual hull is only 78".

Ideas?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 1:48am

`

well I know for sure that I got wore out just trying to read it..let alone understand it..whew.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 1:24am
Chris - Just go buy this thing, if it doesn't fit then sell it.

BFN Trailer

Honestly though, I don't know how a 78" wide hull fits between fenders that are 68" apart. I guess you could build up the bunks so it fits on top? End your going to have to fabricate a bow stop, that appears to be gone.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 7:55am
The early #3 dimensions shown in hw's picture were taken from a late 60's/early 70's #3 with round fenders. I believe I measured to a frame member of some sorts, it may or may not be indicative of the inside fender measurement on a 70's/early 80's square fender version. I'll try to measure my '83. Someone else will need to measure a 80's delux #3, I only have a #4 of that vintage (which I suspect is the same or similar but have not confirmed). I would be surprised if the late 80's delux trailer is a full 10" wider than the earlier version based on the way my '84 sat on its delux.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 8:34pm
As Hollywood mentioned I did manage to fit a #3 through a 8' garage opening (94.5") ended up with about 1" clearance on each side so trailer width was 92.5".

I have a rough sketch of the #3 trailer frame somewhere. I cut off guards and hubs from axle as my goal was to fit the 8' door. Originality was not even considered.

The inside of guards were enclosed and carpeted the 89 SN2001 fitted tight to the guards.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 8:42pm
Was that the original '89 #3 mark, or was it older?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 9:54pm
Not sure of the year but it was a #3 in very rough shape. It had 6 lug hubs with drop axle if that helps. The guards had already been cut off so that method of ID is impossible.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:34am
Ok, so this just popped up in the Craigslist thread: 199 Ski Nautique and it appears to be on an original CC manufactured trailer. Can anyone verify?
[IMG=http://images.craigslist.org/00A0A_f1QcjUfMlXQ_600x450.jpg[/IMG]

So if this boat fits, I would think Chris's 176 would have no problem. Thoughts?

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:35am
Doesn't match my '91
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:35am
Doesn't match my '91 trailer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:47am
That's a late 80's #3 that would have come under a 2001. We've seen a few TSC's on those, check hw's pic above. Not sure we've confirmed the width on those trailers though, marks measurement seems narrow (same width as a non-delux?). I would have guessed they'd not fit through a 8' wide door like the mid-83 and earlier non-delux (non-LB) #3's do.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 4:40pm
So did you try or at least measure any trailers this weekend?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 4:47pm
HW he was too busy making up some goofy test to see if I was from Wisconsin or not. Something with bubblers vs water fountain and soda vs pop   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 5:49pm
I did measure my '80 non-delux #3 and confirmed it's the same width outside-outside at the fenders as my '88 #4 at 88.5". I bet the 84-89 #3's are the same. So I would bet any 70's or 80's #3 will get you there width-wise... But length is still gonna be a challenge.

Already got the jump on the removable platform brackets though.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 5:55pm
I think he did mention he copied Alans Hurricane trailers swing tongue so he might be all set with that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2015 at 7:27pm
Little late to the party, but seeing as everybody was throwing cover ideas around I figured it would be a good place to show my roll-off cover. Made from $60 bucks worth of electrical conduit it's designed like one of the portable shelters however it sits atop carpet padded frames on the boat itself.

The neat thing is how it's removed. The rear board has rollers so once the cover is tilted 15 degrees it can be rolled off the back and down to the ground. When I'm done for the day I back up to the cover, lift it onto the rollers and roll it back over the boat. In the winter I plan on making some center supports for the winter. Should buy me a few years until I get my shed extension built.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic