Print Page | Close Window

Ideas for fitting my boat in my gargage.

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35254
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 9:35am

Topic: Ideas for fitting my boat in my gargage.
Posted By: Frankenotter
Subject: Ideas for fitting my boat in my gargage.
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:16pm
I love my 176 but the trailer design is HORRIBLE. Half the reason for getting a smaller boat is to be able to fit it in a smaller garage. The trailer destroys any chance of that happening. Beyond that, it cant easily be modified into a swing tongue either. I've gotten quotes from welders and I might as well pay them to build me a new trailer.

There is an additional 3' of unnecessary trailer on this beast.

My garage will not fit it length wise, and it is also 6" too wide. It doesn't have the removable swim platform brackets and I would gladly buy them if it would make a difference. Unfortunately, I'd still run out of room.

The older trailers will fit and the 176 is only listed at 2200lbs in the reference section.

Tim, I trust your judgment. Do you still think the 176 would be too heavy for the older trailers?

I would keep the original trailer for long haul stuff and just use the #3 for local boating.

Chris

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Replies:
Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:26pm
Chris,

Here are two ideas:

#1) Leave the rig in that beautiful heated Air Plane hanger?

#2) Sell you current home and buy and new home with a larger garage?

Sorry for he wise A&# response, but it is Friday !!!!!!!!!

Maybe speak with Ramblin trailer in Florida. Maybe they can build you the a trailer with a swing tongue and then add the removable platform. But this may not help with the width issue. All of this is assuming that what you have now is not a Ramblin Trailer. I can not tell from the pictures.

Donald

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:32pm
Your slipping Don,could you help Chris out by storing in NC for the season? Or are you getting too many?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:35pm
Hmmmmm, My buddy Tom has the same conundrum. Old Eagle under his bu makes him have to put the boat in diagonally in his current or new garage on the house he just bought. He is hoping to have enough cash for the 2017 season to order a new boatmate with swing away and have another garage spot and no winter storage costs.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:40pm
Can you tell us more about the garage, is it possible to box out a section or extend it?

Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:41pm
Winter storage is no problem. My princess is resting in a heated airplane hanger until April.

The problem is the actual boating season. I've been keeping it in my mother's 2 car garage. I have to park it sideways and it just BARELY fits. This thing is almost 25' between the trailer and swim platform.

Can't alter the garage because I don't own it. Ill be buying a house in the next few years, but until then, I'll have to make due.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: Dizzwah
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:42pm
Looks like the same trailer I have. The tongue can swing upwards but it is a pain in the a#%^ (have to remove the bow stop). Might give you ~1.5 ft more room.

-------------
'93 Sport Nautique
- from dismantling comes true understanding -

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Your slipping Don,could you help Chris out by storing in NC for the season? Or are you getting too many?

Well Greg now sees that if I was keeping his 206 limbered up he would of not had these fuel pump issues during Christmas, now that he is all in love with the 16 foot mustang I am pretty sure his rig will be coming to my place any day now.

I also know that you are heading back south now that you are done making snow angles (and hopefully have that bad gas tank fixed) and heading back to South Florida, I am assuming you are now wanting to accept my lucrative offer for your, hard to find parts for Mustang. Now that you have that fancy modern Vee Drive Super Sport. I believe you will be dropping off that little blue boat on your way back to Florida. Since my Gardens, 1980 Masters, Sea World, Bush Gardens boat is back at Lego land getting scaled in-order to reproduce lego models of this legendary boat, I would indeed have room for one more boat at least until spring. I hope this does not sound like I am bragging.

If that fails, I know a bald headed hairy backed guy across the lake that seems to find endless places to store boats. Maybe I can get some advice from him?

Chris, sent that boat on down.

Donald

Posted By: Treybizttu
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 2:18pm
I've seen some trailers where the bow stop comes out with the tounge. Not a swing away but a complete removable tongue including the bow stop. As far as width I don't know what to tell you.

At my lake place the barn is 28' deep so I'm good there but my soon to be sold 19'6" I/O doesn't even fit in my garage at home. Heck, I have to butter my crew cab truck to get it in there.

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 2:38pm
Lets just take that thing over to my neighbor. Tig welder and a plasma cutter, couple of HD Barn Hinges and steel plates, and we'll rig up a swing away tongue. It will almost look like the one Alan modified on the Hurricane trailer, almost...

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 3:43pm
You can modify that trailer. Talk with Alan 81 Nautique. He did a custom conversion on the Hurricane trailer. Cutting and welding a swing hinge is cheap when looking at alternative trailers... The 176 would look bad on the old trailers anyway !!!

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 4:13pm
Any older cc trailer that the boat would fit on, and also fit through a 8' door (70's thru early 80's) #3 still won't help you in the length dept... The tongue will be every bit as long as your current cc/ramlin. You'd also be going from a 5500lb capacity trailer to a 3500lb one, and I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.

The only type of trailer that will fit your length and width requirements is an aftermarket with tall bunks so that the boa sits over the fenders instead of between them- and it'll have to be newer to get the swing tongue. I personally think these style of trailers are sort of fugly... Your current one just looks right. A newer ramlin built to fit will get you a swing tongue, but it'll be every bit as wide so it'd still be a non starter, I assume.

Since you don't own the garage and plan to buy eventually, plus the fact that you have winter storage, I'd just store it outside between uses and invest in a good cover (with skirts if you want to keep the sun off it entirely). Summers in the northern part of the country aren't that harsh, and they're short. Your boat would be no more abused than one kept on a lift in the water- you could still keep it minty mint, I've seen it done.

Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 4:31pm
Timmy, I think Knotters Trailer is a Prestige

Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 4:38pm
You could be right- the front fender step looks like it arcs to me, but it could be a deceiving picture. (Ramlin front steps arc, prestiges are a straight angle). They're otherwise very similar in design and appearance.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 4:56pm
It's a Prestige. You just put all that money into the paint job last winter. "Buck" up and have the tongue modified by someone affordable.

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 6:58pm
I'd probably lean towards a nice cover like Tim suggested. You'll always need the cover, not necessarily the trailer if you ever plan to store on a lift.

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 10:47pm
Chris - I'm sure she won't mind if you hang the boat from the rafters. Then just pull the trailer outside for storage    

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: January-09-2015 at 11:45pm
I measured my air's trailer. From the bump post to the tip of the hitch is 23". Yours looks way longer. Maybe you could cut some off and reattach the hitch.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:06am
Oh ye of little faith...I don't trail often but with the shallow ramps in these Parts I've often thought a few extra tongue feet would keep the tow vehicle muffler from gurgling....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: skierox
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:19am
Hello,

Just one idea. I bought a 1997 Ski Nautique with an Eagle Trailer. The previous owner added a Pivot Hitch form a company in California. The product is:

Pivit Hitch inc.
5490 Via Ricardo
Riverside, CA 92509
(909)682-0485

Previous owner purchased on 5/9/2003

Cost for the product was $349.50

It gives you step-by-step directions. Looks real easy! Directions include step-by-step photos!

Let me know if you have any questions. Only issue for me was that I really didn't need it. It looks a little ugly!

Scott

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=4101 - Former Owner of 89 Nautique
/diaries/details.asp?ID=4100 - My 05 Nautique
/diaries/details.asp?ID=4099 - My 99 Nautique

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:31am
Cover shot of a previous boat-side skirts snapped on to main cover that was held on by a drawstring http://s934.photobucket.com/user/inboardfan/media/D7958DBA-C5A6-40C4-A59A-9C3928B1316D_zpsov12swac.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]

Thanks for no comments on the rusty trailer. This not the current boat

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 2:43am
Our 95 has a removable tongue trailer. It does fit well in a garage. My garage is 42 deep but it is really nice to take the tongue off and save that space. It is much easier to walk around the boat while it is parked. The swim deck comes off also. I bet there are wrecked boats out there with used trailers available for sale.
Your Trailer could be sold as is or modified. A used trailer is not worth much more than $1,000 and you might find one that fits your needs.
If not, modify yours.

Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 10:15am
There are 2 problems with an aftermarket swing tongue conversion- that would be an obvious solution and I'm sure that's why he's asking for our help in getting creative.

1. In order to use any swing tongue kit I've seen, it needs to be installed on the portion of the tongue that has converged to a single channel. His prestige does not converge until the 2 frame rails reach the coupler- there are next to no gains to be made installing it that far forward. This is typical of cc/ramlin trailers until ~99-00. The frame rails converge a few feet sooner (aft of the bow stop) on the swing tongue versions (03+) and I assume the same goes for the tilt tongues that preceded them. Lopping off the front if the trailer and doing something custom is possible, but it will be a lot more involved, especially to make it user friendly (he'll be using it frequently since this is a summer storage issue). He's already indicated that he has explored this option and it is cost prohibitive.

2. Even if the length issues are addressed at great expense (tongue and platform brackets), the trailer will still be 6" too wide to fit in his current garage. If that is the real goal here, then keeping the current trailer is a non-starter.

I see no solution that even approaches "easy" or "cheap". Hence the recommendation to suck it up for a few more years and invest in a good cover like the one Greg pictured above in the meantime. :)

Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 10:18am
Oh and I'll also mention that there are not many modern 17'6" tournament inboards, so finding a modern trailer that works better and fits the boat is not likely to be an easy task- unless buying new is an option.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 10:22am
Chris,
It all sounds like a new garage may be in order!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

I've often thought a few extra tongue feet would keep the tow vehicle muffler from gurgling....

It's obvious Jeffro that you ain't from around here.....that's nothing but a red neck hot tub!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

[QUOTE=74Wind] I've often thought a few extra tongue feet would keep the tow vehicle muffler from gurgling....

There's some comments that can be made here... Longer tongue.. Gurgling.... Muff-ler

Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 12:28pm

I've often thought a few extra tongue feet would keep the tow vehicle muffler from gurgling....

Removable when not towing or in the garage:

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 2:31pm
That's a lot of brainstorming. Unfortunately, Tim is right (again). Even if I could modify the trailer length (at great expense) it still wouldn't fit width wise.

The only hope I had was getting a smaller trailer. I can't believe how inefficient they made this trailer. My brain refuses to believe that there isn't something to be done.

Even if I get a house with a bigger garage, 25ft of storage for an 18ft boat is stupid. I might as well get a G23

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 2:48pm
a good cover sounds more logical as this thread goes on

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

It's obvious Jeffro that you ain't from around here.....that's nothing but a red neck hot tub!

Tim: Nope no red neck on me. You can take the boy out of CT but you can't take the CT out of the boy. Eighteen years in Georgia and I've yet to figure out how to properly insert the word "y`all` into a sentence......

Pete: Good idea, but like I said rarely trail, in fact I haven't even seen my SW trailer in a few years.

I am surprised the "tongue extension" did not elicit further comment from Orlando76..

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: marlo14
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 4:11pm
This will be more work and time than a good cover, but less than ordering a new trailer. You can find a good donor trailer that will fit the dimensions you need for the garage on Chicago area craigslist for about $500. Buy it, torch off the bunks and relocate to fit your boat, along with the rear crossmember to a prop guard, and new bowstop. You will probably have to move the axle forward a little also for proper balance. Blast and repaint (you already have that experience), install bunks. If you have access to the equipment and help, I'd guess you could have a "new" trailer like this for less than $1000. If labor is free, guessing $500 for trailer, $50-100 lights and wiring, misc steel $0-200, paint 50-150-$$$?, bunks $50. Other options would be brake repairs or upgrades, rim and tire upgrades, etc. but the basic useable trailer that you are looking for is possible relatively "cheap".

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 6:29pm
I have a buddy with a Malibu trailer that he had converted by a trailer shop of some sort and it was only a couple hundred bucks. They cut through all 3 structural beams and terminated them all to a rectangular plate of steel with a matching bit of plate on the hitch side, nicely welding all 3 beams on each side to their own plate. The two plates were connected with a hinge on one side. There are 4 bolt bosses welded on, one to each corner of the trailer-side plate. To fold and unfold he has to zip 4 bolts out of the plate with an impact. Takes minutes and the conversion reduces the length of the trailer substantially when folded. I thought it was a very creative and cost-effective solution. He had it done in Wisconsin so I can ask him where it was specifically.

Also FWIW my 24' garage will not fit my full size SN trailer in there either, without folding the tongue up, if that makes you feel better.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: January-10-2015 at 6:38pm
Won't do anything to make it narrower though. Tim's ideas seem to be the solution for now. My Phonix's width footprint is greater than my parents old 27' Airstream.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 1:28am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I have a buddy with a Malibu trailer that he had converted by a trailer shop of some sort and it was only a couple hundred bucks. They cut through all 3 structural beams and terminated them all to a rectangular plate of steel with a matching bit of plate on the hitch side, nicely welding all 3 beams on each side to their own plate. The two plates were connected with a hinge on one side. There are 4 bolt bosses welded on, one to each corner of the trailer-side plate. To fold and unfold he has to zip 4 bolts out of the plate with an impact. Takes minutes and the conversion reduces the length of the trailer substantially when folded. I thought it was a very creative and cost-effective solution. He had it done in Wisconsin so I can ask him where it was specifically.

Also FWIW my 24' garage will not fit my full size SN trailer in there either, without folding the tongue up, if that makes you feel better.

Joel, If you have the name please PM it to Chris (FrankenOtter).

Chris - this is the way to go, yes the width will still be an issue, but at least you don't have to park it diagonally, AND a breakaway tongue is always helpful.

THREADJACK - Joel, dude, you were the Zombie Commuter driver on Thursday, from about Hwy 60 til you got off on Deerfield Road, I was running along side you, both sides honking and waving - you just kept those eyes locked right out the front window - HA!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:44am

Here's a pic of it. The conversion cost 533.00 and my buddy had it done at a place called http://www.raadams.com/parts-and-service" rel="nofollow - RA Adams .

Steve, are you sure that was me? :p That's funny. When I'm slogging through traffic in the 4R I bet I do zombie out a bit. This does not occur in the M5.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:56am
Do you have space for a portable shelter, tongue may need to be exposed but the boat would be fully protected. Could also be used for winter storage possibly.

http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=da68f888-9353-4e0e-8bd1-9df80095b3e8&CategoryName=Garages" rel="nofollow - http://www.shelterlogic.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=da68f888-9353-4e0e-8bd1-9df80095b3e8&CategoryName=Garages

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do you have space for a portable shelter,

Excellent idea. I have one up north and it has served me well for over 12 years and I didn't even buy the premium vinyl.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Excellent idea. I have one up north and it has served me well for over 12 years and I didn't even buy the premium vinyl.

OOOH, I figured the snow would kill these. If not it would save me quite a bit on winter storage up there.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 2:52pm
I have thought quite hard about one of those shelters. That would work perfectly if I could find a place to put it. Maybe betwren that and a cover like tim suggested would be a good 2 year fix.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

OOOH, I figured the snow would kill these. If not it would save me quite a bit on winter storage up there.

Joel,
You haven't done any research on the "instant garages" have you! I get as much snow in Three Lakes as you do in Eagle River!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: mark c
Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 6:02pm
Depends on the amount and type of snow you get at any one time. Guy has one at a house I drive by on the way to work been therefor at least 5 years with no issues that I could see, sort of a mansard roof (Barn shaped) type garage maybe 20 by 10 wide with lightweight metal struts as supports, he parks his BMW in there all year round. Last winter we got a good foot of heavy wet snow in about 8 hours, and the roof collapsed on his car. If you can get the snow off, or theres plenty of time between snowfalls for the snow to fall off on its own they seem to be fine.

Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 6:07pm
A "roof rake" would be a cheap investment as well. It you really wanted to go a bit further (although most likely not needed) a thin coating of armor all (or similar) would make the roof slicker than snot on a door knob.

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Depends on the amount and type of snow you get at any one time.   Last winter we got a good foot of heavy wet snow in about 8 hours, and the roof collapsed on his car.

Mark,
What is the difference between northern Wis snow and Mass snow?? In the 12 years, I have NEVER removed snow from it. Maybe your neighbor bought a cheap one for his BMW?   
Joel,
I need to mention that I did purchase a Cover-it brand and not one of the cheap ones you will find at places like Menards. Cover-it when I got it actually had a guarantee on snow loading. It is the "house" style. The snow slides right off the roof.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 9:03pm
Chris does not have a snow problem,he's mearly looking for summer between outings storage anyway. If he was to use one of those temp car shelters he might have to do some homework too. Some places won't let you put one up,out here no vehicle parking on the ground with out a concrete,asphalt or brick pad,and gravel doesn't count

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

no vehicle parking on the ground with out a concrete,asphalt or brick pad,and gravel doesn't count

I had the same problem when I lived in the city limits of Orlando except they would allow 4" thickness of gravel to park on.

Posted By: Airfooter
Date Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:30pm
I'm going through winter #4 with my Round Top brand of shelter (Fleet Farm). I do remove the snow with a broom as often as I can, but the boat is 2-1/2 hours away so it has had to withstand snow load for periods of time. A few neighbors at the lake have the Shelter Logic brand, and the style of shelter where the side walls angle out like an "A" frame, and they've only had issues when the snow melts, slides down the wall, and builds up putting pressure on the walls and cover (easy to take care of). I will be spending $450 to replace my shelter with a new one this summer as I'm afraid of the cover not making it through a 5th winter. It's been great, cheap, dry storage though, and I don't even have to put the tower down.

-------------
1992 Nautique Excel

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 9:56am
Pete I am not sure what the difference is in snow makeup is here but there are an awful lot of different types and brands of temp shelters here in new england and it seems a lot of them collapse    maybe it is wetter at times and comes down faster?

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:05am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Pete I am not sure what the difference is in snow makeup is here but there are an awful lot of different types and brands of temp shelters here in new england and it seems a lot of them collapse    maybe it is wetter at times and comes down faster?

Peter,
The point I was making is we get the heavy wet snow too! It's not just New England. The "Cover-it" brand I have is now:
Originally posted by Airfooter Airfooter wrote:

Shelter Logic brand,

They even now have a snow/wind rated shelter.
http://www.shelterlogic.com/" rel="nofollow - Shelter logic

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:53am
Shelter logic makes some high quality stuff... But you can does a few bucks on it too! The snow-rated garage shelters aren't exactly cheap.

Definitely look into local zoning laws. Like mentioned above, you need a permit to put one up in our town- they specifically state that the approvals and set backs required for a garage apply to temporary shelters too.

Either way, a temporary shelter for summer use seems like overkill. Especially considering the mild nature of northern summers. Get a good cover and forget about it!

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:44am
Something I have seen done down here. Really not sure if it works but thought it worth mentioning. Some people apply a heavy coat of paste wax to the boat and leave it on before wrapping or storing the boat for the off season. When opened for the season they wipe off the wax along with any dirt or bugs etc. and have a freshly waxed boat. Seems Ok in principle but I never have actually done it.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:49am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either way, a temporary shelter for summer use seems like overkill.

My primary reason for posting about details on the temporary shelters is for Joel and his need for winter storage up north. BTW, I never needed to get a permit for mine up there. Another nice thing is they are movable. When I built my shop, I got 8 people together and we carried it to another location.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:59am
The temporary shelter really isn't an option for Chris. He would have to purchase a lot, and then at that point, you might as well roll a pole building or Garage into the mortgage.

He is somewhat challenged because he lives in an urban area, but blessed with his mother having a garage. Unfortunately when he puts his boat in there, here truck has to sit out. Hence the need for a shorter trailer with less width.

He has access to an airport hanger for storage but that is almost 30 miles away and in the opposite direction of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River, which he can literally see from his apartment. I am not sure if even a high quality cover with side skirts might be challenging, because he still has to park it somewhere, in said Urban environment.

I keep telling to just buy a house on a lake and be done with it, get out of the city!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: audiodude
Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:06pm
I bought my Tent shelter in Milford, CT about 5 years ago. It is a 12' by 24' and I paid around $500. since I have owned it we have had some pretty big snowstorms only problem I've had, a couple of the support poles bent when we had a huge snow storm. I did have to put the tent up on some 6" by 6"s to get enough door height for windshield clearance. Mine is a round roof not sure if the peak roof would have more door height.

-------------
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:30pm
And I think his apartment parking spot is the middle one of a 3 car bay, perhaps the real width problem. An older Ski Nautique would fit, something like an orange 72...

Find an outdoor spot and get a nice cover. I got a lift and slip on another lake but no canopies allowed...

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And I think his apartment parking spot is the middle one of a 3 car bay, perhaps the real width problem. An older Ski Nautique would fit, something like an orange 72...

Find an outdoor spot and get a nice cover. I got a lift and slip on another lake but no canopies allowed...

Apparently that Orange 72 (Promo) is SOLD - Soon to be seen painted, wrapped and sporting a nice new Monster Tower and lots of indoor outdoor carpeting...

What "Other" lake are you now???

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Apparently that Orange 72 (Promo) is SOLD - Soon to be seen painted, wrapped and sporting a nice new Monster Tower and lots of indoor outdoor carpeting...

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:04pm
I am using my friend's condo slip on Lake Mary, where my ski club is. We got a new/used 4000# lift for the BFN on Powers. Selling my 3000#.

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:45pm

Pete, I don't know for sure that is what is going to happen, but it is probable.

I am using my friend's condo slip on Lake Mary, where my ski club is. We got a new/used 4000# lift for the BFN on Powers. Selling my 3000#.

Oh, man that old lift would be perfect for the 176, does it come with the cover and side skirts? Ok Chris, let's find a spot on your favorite lake!!!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:53pm
Sure does. Selling it as is since the new lift already has a canopy and frame. We will get a new shade cloth.

I edited it to 3000#. It's an older model and I can't really tell what it is (2000-3000) really but the new stainless cable is much better than that stiff galvanized one. Still a bitch to crank up. I do have 1 potential buyer scheduled to look at it this Sunday or the next.

-------------

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 6:33pm

The temporary shelter really isn't an option for Chris. He would have to purchase a lot, and then at that point, you might as well roll a pole building or Garage into the mortgage.

He is somewhat challenged because he lives in an urban area, but blessed with his mother having a garage. Unfortunately when he puts his boat in there, here truck has to sit out. Hence the need for a shorter trailer with less width.

He has access to an airport hanger for storage but that is almost 30 miles away and in the opposite direction of Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River, which he can literally see from his apartment. I am not sure if even a high quality cover with side skirts might be challenging, because he still has to park it somewhere, in said Urban environment.

I keep telling to just buy a house on a lake and be done with it, get out of the city!

Thank you Steve. I couldn't have explained it better myself.
So how about beefing up a #3 trailer?

It can't be that hard. My boat only weighs 2200lbs. Maybe 2500 with gas and gear. That, combined with a removable swim platform, might work?

Putting it on a lift means no Lake Michigan (fireworks, brewerys, resturants, or festivals).

My last ditch attempt will be to find a marina that has indoor storage during the summer that will allow me to have access.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-12-2015 at 9:15pm
If you are "willing" to find a marina with indoor summer storage that will allow you access, the simple solution is a rack storage barn marina (if any in your area). I've done it this way for years. Boat stays high and dry indoors, just call ahead and it's sitting at the dock when you get there. When done, just tie up and leave.

They typically store your empty trailer, and if you want to take it elsewhere, just call ahead and they'll get it out. I never use mine so it's buried way back in the pen, but for those who take their boats elsewhere regularly, they would typically keep it up front.

One of the Lanier CCFans does this at a big hi-tech place that even has a "launch app" where he just selects a time......

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:47am
Chris,
I got thinking about your trailer and am wondering if it was a Prestige trailer made for the 176, or the one for the Ski?
They made a trailer specifically for the 176, shorter but still wide (like 8'+). In the picture I couldn't really tell but the trailer for the Ski, SNOB, and Sport were all the same trailer and just had two different locations for the bowstop (ski and snob were 19'6" and the sport 21'). If you have the regular full size trailer, it still doesn't help your problem, but is a trailer that fits a lot more boats and is worth decent money, offsetting your cost for something that does work for you. From the pictures it kinda looks like it might be the full size trailer.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 12:54am
Never mind on the last post. I looked up your resto post and it's the 176 trailer.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 1:26pm
How can you tell the difference between the 196 and 176 trailers?

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 4:41pm
I thought my registration said something about 176 on it. The full size had a "swing up" tongue that you could remove the bow stop and some bolts to lift it up. The tongue also had two sets of holes 18" or so apart to accommodate the 19'6" or 21' boats. I don't recall the tongue on my 176 trailer extending as far out as yours appears?. Either way, its too wide for you. I was just thinking there seems to be someone always looking for a 19'6" or 21' nautique trailer.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 4:58pm
I think you're referring to ramlin... Not sure if prestige ever offered a trailer that fit multiple hulls with a tongue adjustment like that. Covering a 4' span from 17' to 21' would be quite the flexible trailer design, ha... I don't think such a trailer was ever made. I know the 196/206 shared a trailer design but I'm not sure if the 216 was accommodated or not.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:11pm

The tongue will be every bit as long as your current cc/ramlin.

Timmy, I think Knotters Trailer is a Prestige

You could be right- the front fender step looks like it arcs to me, but it could be a deceiving picture. (Ramlin front steps arc, prestiges are a straight angle). They're otherwise very similar in design and appearance.

This is from http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32702&PN=1&title=trailer-restoration-thread-sn176" rel="nofollow - Frankenotter's trailer restoration thread almost exactly a year ago.

Looks like a Prestige... very similar to Ramlin.

LOL. Tim, you are slipping!

But I found this picture interesting.

Sure looks to me like there are 3 bow stop location options.
17'6"/19'6"/21' ??

Back to the original width problem. Clearly not easily overcome without a terribly ugly, narrow trailer with the boat over the top of the fenders. You'd then have to worry about the height of the windshield and need a long [folding] tongue or be willing to submerge half of your truck.

So, have you shopped around for a new cover yet? In the meantime, bump up the bow stop one hole location anyway. I'm sure your truck can handle the additional tongue weight.

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:17pm
Get specs from Adam's trailer under his Pro Air. Its a Prestige.

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:26pm
If you don't think this front step looks curved in this pic then I don't know what to tell you... That's usually the most obvious clue ramlin vs prestige. I sure can't keep track of everyones trailer brand.

Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I can't speak to the adjustability of the prestige but if memory serves, I think there was an intermediate tongue position between the 196 and 206 set ups on dads 03 ramlin... in other words, there may be more size options than hull options.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:32pm
There you go talking ramlin again. For the eleventeenth time, Frankenotter's trailer is a Prestige.

Prestige (DuQuoin, IL) sold to Heritage (Benton, IL) in '09. They made trailers for many boat brands. I didn't mean to say Frankenotter's trailer with those holes were only for the CCs I mentioned. I am not sure how many single axle DD trailers they made, but I am postulating that there was only perhaps 1 with a selectable bow stop position.

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:49pm
Someone should post a picture of a ramlin... In case you haven't seen one, the prestige design appears quite similar! I'll try and dig one up for you.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 5:55pm
That is definitely a Prestige trailer. They made a trailer specifically for the 176 boat, and I don't recall mine being that long. I may be mistaken on the swing tongue on the Prestige. (I had a 1996 176 brand new on a new Prestige, and also a 1996 Ski signature on a 1997 Ram-Lin so I may be confusing the swing tongue) The 1996 Prestige trailers for the full size boats would work for the 19'6" and 21' boats, just move the bow stop to other position. I'm wondering if he doesn't have one of the first 176 boats and they used a full size trailer because there appears to be three positions for a bow stop and the tongue is longer. Mine doesn't look anywhere as long and the bow stop isn't as far back in (looking at old pictures). I suggested measuring the other holes in the tongue and seeing if they line up for the 19'6" and 21' boats. Of course this only helps him to sell as it would fit more boats, ... it's still too wide to fit his garage.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:01pm
I know what Ramlins look like. I just stared at one for 1200 miles two weeks ago.

I found several SNs on Prestiges and most appear to have the transom ending right at the end of the wishbone. The middle bow stop position on Frankenotter's trailer certainly isn't 2' forward from the rearward. I suppose you could mount it fully forward, about 1', and then have 1' hang off the back safely for a [19'6"] Ski Nautique.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/Correct%20Craft/96snBKW02-01.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">
However, there must be at least one longer trailer to accommodate the 21's (with transom overhang), possibly shares with the 19'6"s (flush transom).
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/Correct%20Craft/97snECW08-01.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

I also noticed a swing tongue under a 97'. Option? Newer trailer?
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/Correct%20Craft/97snKGW01-01.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:26pm

Trying to get all these pics on the same page.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:32pm
Looks to me like maybe they lopped a foot of the back of the 196 trailer, moved the bowstop back a foot, and wa-la, 176 trailer. You can't just move the bowstop around to match the boat length and not expect tongue weight to be grossly impacted. That trick worked well on the 196/206 as the extra length was in the nose (so engine placement vs. axle location was consistent) but the 176 length was shortened in both ends.

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:41pm
You must move the CG forward to maintain the same % tongue weight with a longer tongue. Adding nose only will be too light.

I'm not sure dealers were all that precise setting up bow stops...

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:45pm
Seeing a tongue that long reminds me of Kiss

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:49pm
Don't want to hear that story

-------------

Date Posted: January-19-2015 at 6:53pm
I remember on the full size trailers you had the two options for the bow stop location. We only sold 2 176's, mine being one and I don't remember two choices for the bow stop on those. I'll have to look up all the old pictures and see if I have any good views of this. We had to wait for our first 176 because the trailers were still being designed or engineered, which is why I suggested this may have been one of the firsts??? Maybe just cut off the back and moved the bow stop up as a quick solution to get boats out the door/ to shows and public events???

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 10:26am
Found some picture. Sorry for the poor quality, they were probably from a disposable camera. I would really like to know what the measurements of the other holes in the tongue are. It is definitely a modified larger trailer, but in the pictures doesn't appear to be long enough for the 21' boat.

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 10:47am
Sorry for the delay, I'm traveling right now.

It's a Prestige Trailer. At least the tag that's pop riveted to the side says prestige. The reason for the mysterious bow stop hole theory is simple..........I drilled and extra hole. Since I don't have removable swim platforms I thought of moving the bow stop forward to save a couple feet length wise. I had my tool and die neighbor come make a perfect hole. When I moved the boat up, it was immediately apparent that the trailer was not happy. Every bump I hit sounded like the end of the world. It didn't ride smooth at all and I moved it back to the original spot.

There were 3 holes for the bow stop when I got it. I added the forth. I think the theory of this being an early 176 is not far off. Most that I see for sale or in diarys have the GT 40 and removable swim platform brackets. I've seen a few that seem to have my trailer (or something VERY similar).

Do we know what the full dimensions are of a #3? If I can modify a #3 instead if cutting this prestige to ribbons, it would probably be cheaper and less time consuming.

The cover idea won't work because I still won't have a place to park it outside. Like Steve said, I pretty much live in the middle of a city. The boat launch is a stones throw away from my apartment. I have plenty of places to keep it in the country (about 20-30min away) but that defeats the purpose. I can't park it on the street because of parking laws.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 11:04am
My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide and 22'7" from coupler to the tip of the platform brackets. I would guess that your 176 would be a similar size once loaded- so it would solve your width issue but still require the $500 tongue modification like was pictured above in order to reduce your length. For short distance towing, I would think you'd be fine... Under the 3500 lb gvwr, even if not by much. But I wouldn't sell your heavier duty original prestige for any long hauls.

I would guess you're looking at $1500 or so to get an older #3 set up the way you want it... $500 each to buy it, make it reliable, and modify the tongue. Add the removable platform brackets and you're in the $1800 range all said and done. Not chump change but I understand your motivation- there's something to be said for convenience!!

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 12:51pm
First off, love the Camaro tow vehicle!

What is your build date from the HIN? The 176 didn't make the 96 brochure, you'd have to find out what an "early" 176 build date would even be. Godfather was working at the factory during that time thankfully, maybe he can help, FL Inboards too.

Did you try what would be the middle position or only full forward with the bow stop?

Removable brackets seem to have been optional (though not mentioned until 99 brochure). Definitely start there, they provide value no matter which trailer you have.

-------------

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 1:36pm
Camaro was hillbilly, but I was 19 with a $3000 car and $20000 boat. Priorities! The 176 had its own brochure in 1996. I think we had one at the Chicago boat show in 1996 that MWCC brought from Florida. I would guess after Chris's last post about them adding the fourth set of holes that he does have the full size trailer. If you look at the pics of mine the tongue is shorter, bowstop mounted further forward, and the tail of the trailer looks shorter at the back (look at guide pole locations). Both boats we did had the removable swim platform.

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by marlo14 marlo14 wrote:

he does have the full size trailer. If you look at the pics of mine the tongue is shorter, bowstop mounted further forward, and the tail of the trailer looks shorter at the back (look at guide pole locations).

For fear of being reprimanded by HW, I would venture a guess that your trailer is a Ramlin based on the coupler and pinstripe... So while the prestige is very similar in style/design, I wouldn't expect them to be exact.

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 1:52pm
My trailer was a Prestige. They came from the factory to the dealer without pinstripe. I did the pinstripe on that trailer. Also I think Prestige used the torsion axle and Ram-Lin use leaf springs.

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:09pm
Ha well nevermind then... Nice job on the pinstripe I dont think I've seen another prestige like it!

Ramlin went to torsion axles as well, not sure exactly when (but definitely by '03).

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:16pm

My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide and 22'7" from coupler to the tip of the platform brackets. I would guess that your 176 would be a similar size once loaded- so it would solve your width issue but still require the $500 tongue modification like was pictured above in order to reduce your length. For short distance towing, I would think you'd be fine... Under the 3500 lb gvwr, even if not by much. But I wouldn't sell your heavier duty original prestige for any long hauls.

I would guess you're looking at $1500 or so to get an older #3 set up the way you want it... $500 each to buy it, make it reliable, and modify the tongue. Add the removable platform brackets and you're in the $1800 range all said and done. Not chump change but I understand your motivation- there's something to be said for convenience!!

At some point, might it make since to go with something like this:

http://www.greenbayprop.com/content-product_info/product_id-1611/16_17_18_foot_galvanized_escort_bayliner_bunk_boat_trailer.html" rel="nofollow - Cheap Trailer

Less then $500! Now admittedly it does not have guide posts and a bow stop, or a breakaway tongue, but you should be able to find something in the used market that could be made to work that isn't necessarily an "inboard" trailer.

Tim - I couldn't agree more, Definitely do not want to get rid of the trailer it came on!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:18pm
Not too many pinstriped Prestiges. And they used those aluminum wheels with the round holes predominantly. RamLin in the 90s used color matched steel with beauty rings. Couplers seem to come and go.

By the 00s RamLin had the chrome steel with the triangle holes then a different aluminum style. By this time Prestige was going away from the wishbone and to a low slung bunk design.

-------------

Posted By: Toertel
Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:19pm

One of the Lanier CCFans does this at a big hi-tech place that even has a "launch app" where he just selects a time......

That would me and it was OK. Only problem is the hrs of operation...so for this season I just reserve3d a slip at a marina (covered) and will have a HydroHoist installed. Since we don't get ice here and I can do all maintenance on the hoist, that seems to be a viable option... might even sell the trailer ;-)

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 2:28pm

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. I originally thought the #2 was bigger than it actually is. I would keep the original trailer for sure for going up north, green lake, plus resale value.

I'm thinking if I can get my hands on a decent shape #3, cut 2'8" off, weld a plate with a hinge, and put some swim brakets on..........I'm in business.

Depending on the cost of the trailer it shouldn't be that expensive overall.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

My garage will not fit it length wise, and it is also 6" too wide.

How wide (inside and out) is your Prestige? The beam of the 176 is 88". What is the width at the chine?

My '80 on it's original #3 is 90" wide

It was presumed #2 and 5-lug #3 fenders were the same, but they must be wider. 90" - 9" - 9" = 72". Tim measured 68.75" inside clearance on his 5-lug #3.

Original fender from my '78 #2:
Dimensions:

The 176 will fit on the 6-lug #3.

I actually lined up my fender with Brad's '86 today and they're similar, but definitely not the same. His were 1" wider

Surprisingly I cannot find the width of a 6-lug #3.
Originally posted by Quigs85SN2001 Quigs85SN2001 wrote:

My '85 Width is 8' from the outside edges of the fenders. I have an original type 3 trailer.
Unfortunately 85's were a changeover year on the lowboys. Could be a 5-lug #3 or a 5 or 6-lug lowboy. Quigs doesn't have a Diary entry to verify. He was at the http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7951&title=mini-mi-reunion-w-pics" rel="nofollow - mini MI reunion in 2007 but I doubt anyone remembers how many nuts were on his wheels. The 5-lug #3 lowboys don't appear any narrower than the later 80s trailers though. I believe Correct Craft was simply borrowing the heavier axle.

And they say an 88 #3 (all were low-boys by 86) won't fit through an 8' door, so it is at least 96".
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I have a 89 on original CC "Type 3 trailer". It was also a tight squeeze getting it through the 2.4m door.

Call Lewy's 95" after the conversion. So, sounds like a 6-lug #3 is right at 96", and may or may not fit through an 8' door depending on how it's trimmed out. 96" - 10" - 10" = 76". Here is a Ski Nautique (91" beam) barely squeezing on a 6-lug #3. 91" - 76" = 15"/2 = 7.5" taper. Tough to tell how big the gap is here. Call it a 9" taper?
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/Correct%20Craft/xTSC_2001trailer.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

I can't believe this wasn't mentioned, but what is your maximum parking width?

The math indicates the 176 will not fit inside the fenders of a 5-lug #3 '80 model. You'd have to taper in over 10" on each side. I don't see or have reason to believe the 176 would taper any harder than a Ski Nautique. I'm wondering if an 82-84 5-lug #3 (non lowboy) trailer is any wider than Tim's '80. The beam of the 2001 did grow 6" wider. Who's got an 82-84 tall #3 to measure? A little closer for comfort going over the tops of these fenders.
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/Correct%20Craft/82snURW03-01.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

If a 6-lug #3 is too wide take the fenders off a 5-lug #3!
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/kfleisch/media/Correct%20Craft/80snBW02-02.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:32pm
Now.........who has one?

I know you guys are sitting on a pile of trailers somewhere.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:35pm
I'll measure accurately as soon as I get home.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 3:47pm
fabricating that post was exhausting. i think i wore out my F12

-------------

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 4:03pm

fabricating that post was exhausting. i think i wore out my F12

Dude, that has to be one of the best technical analysis with annotations and illustrations EVER!!!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 4:32pm
Lol all the pictures except for the last one were borrowed from someone smarter than him.

'80 and '83 (standard, non delux, non lowboy) trailers I have are the same dimensionally. Fenders may be shorter on the 83- does a 2001 on an early trailer fit between the fenders or will the hull clear (vertically)?

The dimensions shown on the #2/#3 above were 60's/early 70's versions. Wishbone frame shapes are the same as the later versions (thru 83) but the crossmembers fore/aft of the axle are wider on the 76+ trailers due to the addition of the square fenders.

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 4:43pm

'80 and '83 (standard, non delux, non lowboy) trailers I have are the same dimensionally.

Are you sure all the dimensions are the same? The wishbones may be the same, which would warrant moving the axle forward since the 2001 doesn't appear to hang off the back any more than a second gen. However, the 2001 does looks like it has more hull hanging over the sides while maintaining a proportional overall width on the trailer. Since it is a wider boat, I'd assume something has to give, which may be a narrower fender but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

Fenders may be shorter on the 83- does a 2001 on an early trailer fit between the fenders or will the hull clear (vertically)?

I don't know.

-------------

Date Posted: January-20-2015 at 6:41pm

'80 and '83 (standard, non delux, non lowboy) trailers I have are the same dimensionally.

Are you sure all the dimensions are the same? The wishbones may be the same, which would warrant moving the axle forward since the 2001 doesn't appear to hang off the back any more than a second gen. However, the 2001 does looks like it has more hull hanging over the sides while maintaining a proportional overall width on the trailer. Since it is a wider boat, I'd assume something has to give, which may be a narrower fender but that doesn't appear to be the case either.

Fenders may be shorter on the 83- does a 2001 on an early trailer fit between the fenders or will the hull clear (vertically)?

I don't know.

I didn't write the dimensions down but I did put a tape measure on both the '81 and '83. Same frame, crossmember location and axle. Fenders look a little shorter in height on the '83.

Print Page | Close Window