NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'71 Mustang Followed Me Home

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 4:39pm
JDD must have had a swim platform on his boat. Why else would you be climbing over it?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by JDD33 JDD33 wrote:

My '70 Mustang, Reid's Skier, Uncle Todd's '63 Classic,and the Barracuda.
[/IMG]
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

JDD must have had a swim platform on his boat. Why else would you be climbing over it?

Or a ladder Bruce I'm thinking of taking mine off,if my gelcoat mix is still good

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Or a non-original ladder Bruce I'm thinking of taking mine off,if my gelcoat mix is still good

Fixed it for you, Gary. ;)

Olive oyle ('70) and my cousins '68 both have original ladders and no clearance bar... Apparently for good reason (besides physically interfering in their mounting locations).

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2041
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 9:28pm

Hmmmmm......I don't recall the shaved toe incident.......

The Mustang is back for a while I could check for any leftover toe parts...
Old school goin back to school!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2014 at 11:58pm
It was a hot pick up, and drop off a sunset multi-man barefoot run after a long day of drinking. I remember clipping that rope guard climbing into the boat and thinking, man that thing is majorly in the way. John had beer on board and I chugged one on the way to meeting up with the crew. Then I threw up in my mouth on the next deep water.
My toe was burning and later I saw most of the skin was gone from the top knuckle. So, sorry for any blood stains in or around the back of the back of the boat.
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:16am
Ok it's starting to come back.....

Sorry bout the toe, after Christmas I'll go out and check the guard and if the edges are still sharp I'll smooth/round them off a bit!
Old school goin back to school!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2014 at 12:29am
Nature of the beast. I don't think I even realized it was there, let alone had the coordination and agility to clear the clearance bar...
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 3:18pm
Gave a look today for evidence of the rope guard and clean up the top sides a bit - no signs of a rope guard that may have been installed /removed - same goes for a ladder unless someone was good with repairs.

Good news is that it the top sides cleaned up well and most of the accessories work - no blower/ horn.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Battery is on the charger and weather permitting tomorrow could be the day to reconnect the hoses and turn the key.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 4:27pm
it is cleaning up nicely, can't wait for a video of it running. It looks very clean with those glass vents and no clearance bar. I don't see any evidence of a stern light, is there one on there?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 4:37pm
look at the transom you can see the stern light
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I don't see any evidence of a stern light, is there one on there?

John,
It's the era of the white transom light and the all around white on the windshield.

Yes, It sure is cleaning up great.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 4:50pm
John
The stern lights are as noted above - pics below. Obviously the one on the windshield rotates up.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 5:14pm
Thanks.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 5:40pm
Looking good!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 8:36pm
You can get Rob Bemman to make you up one of these:
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 9:18pm
What are you going to do about the big hole in the floor where the pylon goes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 9:39pm
That pylon is going back in. I am considering if it runs decent I may bring it to the SJRR to get some advice / tuning done
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 9:43pm
Tom
Did Ron make that one and is it solid bar stock? Ron is a pretty handy fella.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2014 at 10:21pm
Yes, he did. It was $170 installed with backer plates on it so kids could hang on to it all day without breaking it. It really helps them step in from the platform.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 11:40am
No original pylon means it likely wouldn't have had a clearance bar. I wouldn't put the 74+ style like that on a '71... The triangle style or a full up ladder would look much better.

Cleaning up really nicely! Make sure to soak the cylinders with ATF if it hasn't spun over in a while. Rotating it by hand with a breaker bar before reaching for the key isnt a bad idea either. Crank bolt is 15/16". Fun little holiday project you've got there!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No original pylon means it likely wouldn't have had a clearance bar. I wouldn't put the 74+ style like that on a '71... The triangle style or a full up ladder would look much better.

Tim,
Thanks for your original comments. I especially like the ladder without a swim platform idea.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 12:44pm
HM also recommends that before startup each season to pull the valve covers and oil up the valve train. Their style of exhausts makes removing the covers easy.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 3:26pm
Tim
The cylinders got a mystery oil soaking and turning last weekend in advance of the oil change.. I would be ok with a period correct pylon if one can be located. I would suppose that absent a pylon towing was from the lifting eye.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 7:01pm
So I popped the valve covers off and not that I know what to look for - it appeared good to me - no rust, some (minor) visible oil. I did see the heads wer stamped 351 and WF. Anything I should look for of particular importance?
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 7:45pm
That is really interesting. My Holman Moody book said they got 302 engines from Ford for marinization with 351 heads. My H/M 302/235hp 4V has 302 heads on it ( also WFs). I can tell the heads have been off by the unpainted head gaskets. I now wonder if someone did a valve/head job and just got rebuilt 302s as an exchange, not knowing any better? If so it probably isn't 10.5:1 any more. Makes me think I need the GT40P heads or at least the original 351 heads if I can find them. I'm taking a look at the spare engine tomorrow to confirm what it has. It is a 210hp 2V with lower compression though. Sounds like yours may be the most original H/M powered boat out there. Does your tag say 10.5:1 CR? Post a photo of it if you get a chance.

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 8:58pm
I may have what you need for the pylon, out of my 73. Tim or someone else will know if it is the right diameter, but I suspect it is. I'll get some measurements if you would like.

Gary
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2014 at 9:03pm
Gary
That would be great - appreciate it.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 10:14am
The '73-75 pylon is smaller diameter than the 2.5" used 76+, but the style is not the same as the pylons used 68-72. They're aluminum instead of steel and use the newer 2-piece ring and finger that was offered through '87. I have pics somewhere I could dig up.

76+ with the larger diameter, and more importantly, the flange and backing plate at the floor, are a functional upgrade for sure. I wouldn't go swapping out an originally pylon, but since you already have the newer one, I'd probably opt to use it if you can't find a period correct one by the time the floor is done.

Greg, I'd say you're right- no original pylon meant the rear lifting rib would have served tow duty. I bet that lasted a few years- until they bent it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2014 at 10:17am
John
See below pictures.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic