NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

upholsteryskins

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upholsteryskins
    Posted: November-18-2014 at 12:48am
I'm looking to redo my 2000 Air Nautique upholstery with factory skins are Christaine's as good as they are advertising . I also looked into nautique parts factory skin if they carry them . Christaine's said most of there customers DYI. Has anyone done this before or have advice . I have no experience with upholstery but I am good with my hands. Thanks Stevo
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 10:57am
Christine's is very good. I have used them as have many others who will chime in here.   The only drawback with them is they are usually backlogged for several weeks because they are so good. I have found replacing the skins to be very easy, and you cant wipe the smile off your face when you are done and see that new vinyl in your boat.
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 12:25pm
I made business with them, I ordered a complete set of skins and carpet for my 1992, within 2 month they shipped to my forwarder as they had to go overseas to buenos aires argentina.
Got them on september and Im very satisfied with the quality of the product.

Im yet to install them in the boat! probably will do them after our summer is over...
Im probably going to source the install to a local upholsterer...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 3:52pm
I am piggy backing on his thread because I am about to order from them too. They also sell some aluminum braces for the driver's seat. Has anyone used them? I can't understand from the picture how they work. The back of my seat shell has some cracks in it where it bolts down.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 4:05pm
If you order a "factory interior" through white lake, Christine's makes it. At least that's who they used a few years ago when I bought my '90 interior. I was not brave enough to attempt an install of complex vinyl shapes that cost $2500 on my own. A basic interior with square cushions, maybe... Motorbox, probably not.

My '90 had the aluminum braces from the factory. I would think most other roto molded driver seats did too. Are we still talking about a '00?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 4:08pm
Do they sandwich the rear of the of the roto molded seat shell, or both go under it, one in the front and one in the back?

I can see how the longer brace in the back might make my cracked area have to sit flat with the rest of the seat, but am still having problems envisioning if this is they way they go.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 5:10pm
I'm confused. Can you post pictures of brackets in question.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 5:19pm
They don't sandwich the roto molded frame... They mount between it and the tracks/slides.

Todd, pictures are on Christine's site. I wouldn't call them brackets.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 5:36pm
My bad, they are under interior parts and accessories and called braces, not brackets.

Christines drivers seat braces
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 5:41pm
Don't screw up the order of these braces + tracks + cup washer + square tube else you will crack the plastic seat mold and/or the fiberglass base that screws to the floor. One easy, sleek way to raise the seat is to swap in larger square tubing.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 5:59pm
Thanks! That picture shows exactly how they go. Unfortunately mine is already cracked (1985 seat does not come with those braces), but not totally broken. When I removed my seat I already have cracks around the holes on the rear, and I can see how the seat has been sitting about a half inch lower than it should in the back. That trapezoid shaped brace should make it all sit level again.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 9:21pm
I have had a great experience with Christine's from helping me selecting the right vinyl, receiving the skins to asking questions when installing . They made the process very smooth. When installing the vinyl, I suggest taking it slow and take your time. As for their service, I had a stripe seam split on me at the end of this year. Christine's was all over it and took care of it quickly Great service!

Check my thread below.....(sorry for the improper link)

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28477
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by OldSchoolBlue84 OldSchoolBlue84 wrote:

I have had a great experience with Christine's from helping me selecting the right vinyl, receiving the skins to asking questions when installing . They made the process very smooth. When installing the vinyl, I suggest taking it slow and take your time. As for their service, I had a stripe seam split on me at the end of this year. Christine's was all over it and took care of it quickly Great service!

Check my thread below.....(sorry for the improper link)

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28477

Direct link to thread

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2014 at 11:43pm
I may have to re-take in the light, but this is what I am dealing with that I thought I would buy the braces to try and help with.

The crack comes out like a letter C.

Here is another pic.

Do you think those braces will help?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 12:40am
Yes. Probably a band-aid since 85 was the first year of that seat.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 8:45am
You couldn't epoxy and glass over the bottom the seat to help with the crack? Then maybe put a layer of plywood top and bottom the glass to sandwich it and give the glass cushion and support? Like they did in the round 70's seats. Or am I not understanding the situation here?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 9:22am
Richard,
Using the braces would be the easy and proven way to fix the seat base. The plywood (CPES'd of course!) idea is good but would require tearing the skin off to get the inner ply on the base.

Did you inject polyurethane foam into the vent holes? Remember they are there to vent air when sitting down and preventing the seat from farting! A ply base needs the same venting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 9:22am
It can be welded with a plastic welder.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

It can be welded with a plastic welder.

Correct but then you would still have the high stress area. Also, keep in mind that with plastic welding there is some degradation of the material in the weld lessening the strength.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 10:35am
I would probably attempt to weld it a bit with some carefully applied heat, but something similar to those brackets is also going to be needed. That material is a PIA, not much sticks to it so I doubt an epoxy/glass patch would be very long lasting. It turns out it is actually pretty hard to replace wood - band aid the crap out of it and hope for the best.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 10:42am
Yeah I didn't realize it was plastic.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 11:07am
Pete, the top side of the roto molded base is accessible. The bottom seat cushion does not attach to it in any way- it has it's own plywood base that simply rests on the plastic base and is held roughly in place with friction and a strip of velcro. The upholstery you see wrapping around the bottom is coming from the sides (bolstering) of the seat. There is no drainage in the plastic base (only in the ply base), the injected foam won't bother that.

A piece or 2 of aluminum on the top side in addition to the bottom braces probably isn't a bad idea.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 2:23pm
Great eye about the foam. I went an looked again, and that foam fills what is a hollow plastic seat shell. Those are not for the air to escape, there are holes in the plywood that sits on top for the air to escape.

I this picture you can see where CC filled it with foam from the front. Those holes on the bottom must of allowed some foam to escape.

It has me wondering if there is some chemical that would liquify that foam? If I could get that foam out, I could fill the seat with an epoxy, which would be a lot stronger.

My only plan was to remove the seat cushion which only has one row of staples into the shell, and more or less floats over the plastic base. I would like to not have to do the full seat. However, I want a band aide that will last, so if I have to do something more radical to the whole base so be it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 2:32pm
Tim,
Thanks for filling me in on the construction.
Richard,
I feel you would be hard pressed to get the foam out and also feel it wouldn't be worth the effort. Since CC saw the weakness and Christines went to the effort to make/sell the fix, I'd say that's your best option. I also like the plywood idea but try the factory fix first. If you are equipped, you could also save some $$ and make the aluminum braces yourself.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 2:34pm
I am like the grand hijacker to ask this here, but since the photos are in this thread, should I be resizing the photo bucket pics smaller before posting a link?

Steve I hope my questions help and you are not upset with me for jumping into your thread. I do see in hind sight I should have started another.

Sorry,

Richard
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2014 at 2:45pm
Correct Craft developed the aluminum brace plates themselves and quickly became a factory item. Leave the foam alone. Put the braces in and you'll probably be fine for the rest of your life. Don't sit on top of the seat back!
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 12:38am
No problem. I'm in the process of replacing my cuttless bearing. Planning to upgrade to doubletaper

shaft. I'm the original owner and it's time to restore my boat. Next step is to re carpet. Then upholstery .So my off season is going to be a busy one hope I don't bite more than I can chew. It's nice to have people with experience and so willing to help.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 1:05am
Lots of pics will get you lots of help...a picture says 1000...you know
This is the life
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 10:27am
I bought a complete set from Christine's, am dropping the boat off in the next couple of days to have them installed. I'm really excited, the boat is in fairly good shape but the skins are very rough and it will be great to have a sharp new interior in it for next year!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:08pm
Back to the skins, They do a great job for the customer !!
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic