NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

176 ideal prop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176 ideal prop?
    Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:06pm
With the season coming to a close, I'm turning attention to the winter projects. I want to upgrade my prop (and possibly an ARE shaft) and want to get some opinions while I still have the boat in the water.

Zack, Chris, and Joel (I think?).......you guys came and stole the prop off the 176 at Green Lake last year. One of you gave me a recommendation for an upgrade and I can't remember what it was.

Here is what's on the boat currently

Are these numbers just from prop repair shops or do they mean something?

With this prop I'm getting 41mph at 4200rpm (GPS) with a completely empty boat. Stock 351 @ 240hp.

I use it exclusively for slalom and barefoot.

3 blade? 4 blade? Looking for a good ACME recommendation.

Cheers!

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:07pm
Take the nut off the shaft, that's where the dai/pitch are marked
Brian
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:19pm
Edit - that's why I shouldn't talk props... Tim would be the man to ask.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:24pm
Noooooooo, definitely not a 540. All 176's had 1.23's.

Pretty sure we verified you have a 13x17 on there. You'd benefit quite a bit by getting the revs up to 4600. I bet an acme 422 would get you pretty close.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:28pm
Chris, I put a 668 on a 240 horse 17'6" this last fall and it turned it 4600-4700 rpms, I was impressed. A 422 would be just fine as well. 668 is a 422 with a little more cup commonly used on the 6.0 196 boats.

The owner uses it on a private slalom lake and loves the prop.

Either of the two would be a good pick for your rig but I do have some discounted old stock 668s if you are interested.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:40pm
Chris, I have a spare 422 somewhere and I also have a 422 on the 206, either of which you are welcome to try out. Weather looks great this week if you want to drop by and give it a try. We could pull the BU off the other lift and put the 176 on it to make the swap.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 12:47pm
Whoops.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:03pm
CQ, we can definitely make that happen. What time do you get back from work on the weekdays? Thursday might work. I have a wedding on Friday.

Zach, I might take you up on the 668. If nothing else just to have as a spare.

Looks like the answer is 4 blades across the board?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:12pm
Could have sworn you had a 13x17 around at GL... Maybe a spare? If you're only pulling the 14x16 4200 then I'd go 422 or even slightly smaller... 1442 or 470. I'm not sure how that freak 176 Zach had was pulling a 668 4600+ with only 240hp, that's really really strong. I do have a used/reworked 668 I'd sell cheap if you want to go that direction though.

The name of the game is matching size (mostly pitch, followed by cup, then diam) to proper wot rpm. Blade count is a secondary concern, both 3's and 4's are very good. Acme doesn't make any 3-blades in the 15.5-16" pitch range, so that will dictate your choices somewhat. If going with a a 15" prop, the best ones are 3-blades.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:23pm
Thursday is fine, I am typically home by 5:30, you can come by anytime though, just let me know so I can leave the launch key or whatever.

Timmy will chime in I'm sure but there is a 3 blade option, don't recall the model, supposedly will give maybe +1mph over the 422 and some say change the wake/table slightly
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I use it exclusively for slalom and barefoot.

And collecting oil and toxic waste out of the Milwaukee River...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Timmy will chime in I'm sure but there is a 3 blade option, don't recall the model, supposedly will give maybe +1mph over the 422 and some say change the wake/table slightly

CQ, I am pretty sure you are thinking of the 1442 - that is what I noticed when I switched from the 422, plus 1 mph. I was also pretty surprised at the change in rooster tail, seem to get a lot smaller, but at the cost of a lot more turbulent bubbles back in where you foot.

I think I would stick with the 422 for footing, even though it is a little slower, and go with the 1442 for slalom, especially shortline. Of course why would anyone try to ski the course shortline behind my barge...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:35pm
Wake should not change based on blade count, I'm not sure I buy a table/turbulence difference either. The latter can be impacted (along with rooster firmness) by props that run different rpm at a given speed (higher rpm = firmer/harsher), but blade count shouldn't factor in much. Props of different style (Oj vs acme, for instance) may cause changes to boat attitude depending on how much stern lift they generate (which in turn plants the nose, distributing the boats weight over a larger surface and makin the wake slightly smaller- at the expense of top end speed), but all of the acmes we are discussing are similar in design and shouldn't change the boats attitude in a measurable way.

Like I said above, there is no 3-blade equivalent to the 422 or 668, only ones that have (incrementally) less pitch. I would not choose a prop based on blade count unless all else were equal- in which case I generally prefer 3-blades on our lighter direct drives. Matching pitch to wot is a more important consideration though, IMHO.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:38pm
Tim I think the prop you remember from GL was my spare 4 blade OJ 12 17.

I've never used it.

Lets make it happen Quinner. Ill plan on heading down by you in the afternoon and maybe we can get a few runs in?

Steve, are we still on for Thursday?

EDIT
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:42pm
Chris, what's on the boat now- a 3-blade or 4-blade? Confirm the dimensions on your spare- if be amazed if it only has 14" of pitch. $5 says it had 17", can't recall if it's 12" or 13" diam... But that would have been the original prop on a 176, not the 14x16- at least based on what I've been able to gather.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:43pm
Like I said I was very impressed with that 17'6". By feel I guess it was moving along at 45+.

I vote give CQ a visit and run a 422 for testing purposes. Who knows if the prop on your boat is healthy or not.

Have to checked total timing advance? The 17'6" with the 668 was fresh off of a carburetor tune and a timing setting. I think I dialed it in around 32-34 degrees which is my typical all in I go with on a stocker.

It wasn't running to well and required a long warm up before it could operate so I checked it all and set it to my preference IE timing/idle screws/new choke spring installed.

I agree with Tim's memory in that you had a 13x17 at GL which I think I confirmed with CC was the factory offering on a 17'6" but my memory could be getting foggy.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Steve, are we still on for Thursday?

EDIT

Sounds like you got a plan, my need was to just waste some time, you go take care of your stuff! I'd ride along with you, but the boss will have my head if she comes back from work and I am out playing with boats, and trust me, it won't take much to take the head off with the headstart I have given it...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Chris, what's on the boat now- a 3-blade or 4-blade? Confirm the dimensions on your spare- if be amazed if it only has 14" of pitch. $5 says it had 17", can't recall if it's 12" or 13" diam... But that would have been the original prop on a 176, not the 14x16- at least based on what I've been able to gather.

Sorry, that was a typo.

The prop I posted pictures of here is what I've always had on the boat.

The spare at GL was an OJ 12x17 4 blade.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

and trust me, it won't take much to take the head off with the headstart I have given it...
I am in no way laughing at your pain steve, but that's funny
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Have to checked total timing advance? The 17'6" with the 668 was fresh off of a carburetor tune and a timing setting. I think I dialed it in around 32-34 degrees which is my typical all in I go with on a stocker.

I haven't check the timing since I bought it. It has been running really smooth since rebuilding the carb last year, but I think its time for a timing check.

The hole shot has been noticeably slower this year.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 2:04pm
Gotta make sure she's making full power. I was just up on lake Nagawika this weekend. I should have given you a heads up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 2:23pm
You were here and you didn't call?

Can somebody tell Zach I'm not speaking to him
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 2:24pm
I had to do official wedding things all Thursday and Friday.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 2:31pm
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 3:10pm
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 3:21pm
Me Either!!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 3:23pm
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 7:36pm
If it makes you guy's feel any better,I was in Indy on the 6th maybe he came up to get even with me---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 12:08am
I have a 1996 Ski 176. I switched from a three blade to a four blade this summer. This is my first season with the boat. It seemed to me that top end is around 45.I can look at what prop is on the boat.      
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 12:50am
Please do.

Also, if you get a chance, can you confirm top speed with a GPS?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic