Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long time lurker finally gets a CC

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:01am
very cool Alan. Yes it $20 if you a non resident. Total crime. But they only man the guard house a couple hours on the weekend. Otherwise its free.

I'm interested to try that lake Clinton I've seen you post before. Pro and cons there?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:55am
Congrats on the new boat Swany!! Back when I lived in Downers Grove and trailered I used to ski the fox in St Charles, Illinois River where Alan frequents, the fox north of Algonquin Rd, various southern Michigan, Northern Indiana and Southern Wisco lakes. Many pro's and con's with them all however in the end the Fox north was my favorite, particularly early and late season. There are also a couple decent lakes up around me worth taking a look at.
Many Chicagoland area guys on here so hook up with one of us for a winterizing lesson when the time comes
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 1:47pm
Nice looking boat. I am also new to CC family and a new (old) boat owner. I love in Southwest corner of Elgin. I really appreciate all the help I have received. I am still working on my 67 to try and get some water time this year. I have my boat down south of Springfield right now where I have some help and better tools.
I have never winterized a boat yet but will be looking for pointers as well.
Good luck.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 7:15pm
What lake in Northern wisconsin did you vaca on?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

very cool Alan. Yes it $20 if you a non resident. Total crime. But they only man the guard house a couple hours on the weekend. Otherwise its free.

I'm interested to try that lake Clinton I've seen you post before. Pro and cons there?

So no charge weeknights? That's the only place close enough for us to try and get out after work. Cool.

let's see lake Clinton Pros.   90+ degree water, nice clean campground, decent water conditions until approx 10am, no charge for ramp, decent ramp and parking.

Con's....Only one place for food so you must pack a lunch, not a big deal though. 120+ mile drive for us. it can get busy in the afternoons like most public lakes. The po po makes the rounds in the afternoon so stash your empties.

We're actually heading up there tomorrow night after work for the weekend, 4 boats. We'll be in Loop A so swing on by if you can.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 9:05pm
Peter- we started out on little crawling stone in Lac da flambeau. Then catfish on the eagle river chain and now south twin in Phelps. I would like to get back to the eagle river/ three lakes chain but cottages usually rent are really high. Same chain I think Pete is on. 28 lakes connected. Imo the best boating I've ever experienced. Familiar with the area?
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 9:12pm
Alan- I've driving by boyscott or gone over their 5&6 pm many a time (weeknights)and not seen a guard out there. I think on their website it says the hours and after August first it gets even less their out there

that would have been sweet to meet up with guys. Unless my wife and kids go find something to do for sunday. Four hrs in the car and then confined in the boat is too much for my young kids this year.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 9:24pm

I would like to get back to the eagle river/ three lakes chain but cottages usually rent are really high. Same chain I think Pete is on. 28 lakes connected. Imo the best boating I've ever experienced. Familiar with the area?

Yes, I'm on Medicine on the 3L's side. The Eagle side is just too crowded for me plus not as much water. I have been going up there since I was born!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 10:01pm
pete,this probably sounds a little creepy but we had a rainy/cold day while on vacation and went to Lona to the logging steam train museum for the kids. took highway 32 back to our cottage through three lakes, my wife was driving and I spotted your new garage (recognized from the garage thread) out of the corner of my eye. Honestly I wasn't looking but up at the houses along the lake on the other side, coincidence.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 10:30pm
Congats on the boat. Looks great. Happy Trails.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 10:50pm

pete,this probably sounds a little creepy but we had a rainy/cold day while on vacation and went to Lona to the logging steam train museum for the kids. took highway 32 back to our cottage through three lakes, my wife was driving and I spotted your new garage (recognized from the garage thread) out of the corner of my eye. Honestly I wasn't looking but up at the houses along the lake on the other side, coincidence.

Cool!

Wow, It's been many years since I've been over to Laona. It was always a great experience.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:27pm

couple more pictures
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:30pm
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:33pm
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:39pm

now for the ugly. previous owner had the boat hit the dock and "patched" this. I will eventually figure what I want to do with it.... suggestions welcome
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:50pm
Swany welcome aboard, I have yet to see a Nautique issue that the panel of experts here has not been able to advise on. Have some fun and start fixing after the weather turns bad.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 12:07am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have been going up there since I was born!

holy smokes...that long? did the horse & buggy have a hard time pulling the canoe?

john

sorry Pete..just could not resist.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 12:11am

And this. I had someone go look at the boat for me, which was a huge favor, they had to drive from affar, and had little time. I knew the whole purchase being 350 miles away was going to be a gamble. I still don't regret it and believe that I got a decent deal of $4300 considering the hours, history, and condition of the interior. plus I enjoy a project. I've gone through the whole boat and I have only found the this second stringer to be rotten about foot and half behind the motor. the floor has a couple soft spots on that side. I know I'm sure the foam is soaked and will eventually wreak havoc on the stringers. My plan/idea/thoughts for now is this winter ill pull back the carpet, cut the rot out in the stringer(I'm confident it hasn't gotten all the way down to the hull) CPES, scarf a new piece in and fiberglass that all in. obviously from my pictures you can tell I need to do a good bilge cleaning. I'm just not ready or set up to do a full stringer replacement at this time and I'm comfortable that it isn't an issue yet. during the whole purchase I kept saying to myself it will need stringers in 5 years without even seeing it.
from what I understand of all the stringer threads, correct craft spray the foam and then fiber glassed over that? there is not a plywood floor, correct? so its actually the fiberglass failing and feeling soft?
I want to use the heck out of this boat for the next couple year, teaching everyone to ski and then worry about the stringers.
my procedure has been so far and will continue when I get home from taking the boat out is lift the motor cover maybe the removable floor and put a fan on it for a day. I think I can keep it from getting worse by doing that after each use.
like I said before there's a lot on my list to:

-trailer lights (LED's)
-repaint trailer
-new guide poles
-I need a winch on this thing , so make winch post(I cant get the hang of the turnbuckle with our launches, the back of the boat keeps lifting and to much tension on the bow
-new trailer tires and powder coat rims
-buff boat and maybe new decals...
-take all the teak off and oil
- have a custom cover made. the original has served its time
-new wet exhaust hoses
-fuel lines
-apparently I need to get a 540
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 3:27am
Leave the cosmetic trailer stuff for last, it won't make your time on the water any better.

If you start cutting out that secondary stringer you'll never stop. Patch over the top and go skiing. That enormous scab on the corner is hideous, but you'll need to were and and buff the hole boat before/during the repair to get it to match.

You are probably launching too deep. Hook it up but leave it loose then tighten up on land.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 11:30am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I have been going up there since I was born!

holy smokes...that long? did the horse & buggy have a hard time pulling the canoe?

john

sorry Pete..just could not resist.

John - They already were into steam boats back when Pete was a pup!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 12:42am

So no charge weeknights? That's the only place close enough for us to try and get out after work. Cool.

Alan, I drove past tonight to check the river height. asked the kid at the guard house just to be positive. he confirmed it that they are only out there Friday, saturday, and sunday.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 11:20am
Couple of questions:
about how many every hours should I be doing a maintained tune up (plugs,wires,cap)?
what brand plugs does everyone like? I've had experience with v8s not liking certain brands before that's why I ask.
lastly, I'm having troubles reading by trailer VIN to register it in IL. The tag is faded. Wisconsin where I bought it doesnt issue trailer titles. I've gone every route so far except having a cop run what I think it reads and trying to get a hold of someone at correct craft to see if they have records. My question is what are the 5 digits stamped on the top side of the tongue for?
thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 8:32pm
The 5 digits are the trailer serial #.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2014 at 12:35am
Well, those digits are not the VIN # of my trailer. So I must have a hot trailer??
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic