NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 SuperSport Engine Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 10:33pm
Ok so I went through the fuel system again. Pick up tube is clean. Screen in HP is clean.

Fuel pressure- 36-38 idle and accelerating. When it does hesitate it drops to 12 or low teens. How do I know what pump is the problem. If it is a pump? I took it all apart and connections look good.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 12:38pm
Another question, one post someone mentioned the fuse after the battery caused them a bunch of issues and once removed it helped. Could that be an issue? My buddy seems to remember seeing it corroded/oxidized. Also did not check the screen in top of the LP so I will do that as well.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 1:05pm
That fuse issue sounds familiar.

It's definitely worth checking out.

I found this thread that mentions it:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24848&PN=3&title=gt40-engine-loping
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 1:05pm
I think that was lewy and his 98 Sport. If I recall it was a PCM tech bulletin he had found.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:44pm
Ugh nothing but more problems...

changed both pumps and still not fixed, started having more voltage/electrical issues.

Tried to tighten up alt belt and the alt case snapped at bolt hole. Replaced it and went on to clean more wires and check for issues when the bolt in the starter solenoid stripped. Replaced it and now I am not getting voltage to gauge.

I am going to trace out the electrical wiring and test everything but it seems everything I touch I break. :-(
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by burban89 burban89 wrote:

the alt case snapped at bolt hole. the bolt in the starter solenoid stripped.
You must have strong arms!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think that was lewy and his 98 Sport. If I recall it was a PCM tech bulletin he had found.

Never received confirmation back from PCM on the EEC Power Circuit.

Here is Lewy's GT40 EEC Power Retrofit
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 11:27pm
Ok so a new development. The boat will not go over 3500. Rpms. It surges and the rpms drop and come back up. So any ideas?
I am guessing it was not going over 3500 Rpms the whole time and I didn't make that connection.

Fuel pumps new
Alternator new- made a big difference on voltage, other must have been going bad
Starter solenoid new
Fuel and ECM relay new
Kill switch direct wired

Any ideas? What can I test now? I need all the help
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:08am
It may be going into SLOW(limp)mode although it normally keep the rpms below 2700rpms . Disconnect the wire from the temperature switch and oil switch they are independent of the senders that go to the temp and oil gauges.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:09am
I am going to try unhooking oil pressure sensor and temp sensor tonight to see if maybe its that. What rpms are people turning at 24 mph? Maybe my rpm gauge is off.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2014 at 10:12am
We posted at almost the same time :-) thanks and that's what I am planning! It has been a bizarre issue and I am ready for it to be over. I have missed alot of time on the water because of this. I have broke more parts trying to fix it than anything.
Jimn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 2:48pm
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am having a very similar problem with my 1990 carburated Sport Nautique with a Ford 351 PCM engine. After about an hour of running perfectly at high RPMs, the engine bogs down and won't go over about 3,000 RPM. It almost feels like there is seaweed around the prop, but it is indeed clear. I did have the carb rebuilt by a quality shop before this started happening, but both the shop owner and I think it is strange that the engine runs beautifully for so long, and then begins bogging down. do you think the oil and temp sender could be a problem on my engine? Or does that feature referred to above (the engine shutting down intentionally when oil pressure drops or temp increases too hot)only pertain to fuel injected, newer engines? Any response today would be greatly appreciated, as I am out at the Colorado River and debated whether or not to tow the boat back home in San Diego!
Jimn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 2:51pm
one more thing, this has happened several times, not just once. I have gone through about 3 straight cycles of running well for an hour, then bogging down, then next time out runs perfectly for an hour, etc. In the meantime, I have replaced the water/fuel separator and fuel filter resulting in no change...
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 4:35pm
If you have the Protec ignition it will go to limp mode if a over temp or low oil pressure condition is detected. Limp mode limits the RPM's. There are two switches on the engine that look like temp and oil sending units. The oil switch is near the oil filter and the temp switch is on the front of the intake manifold. You can disconnect both of them and the Protec will operate normally. Your engine will also have oil and temp sending units that drive your gauges. If you disconnect the wrong ones it won't hurt anything but your gauges won't read correctly. I would disconnect the switches and see if you still have a problem. If it goes away then connect one at a time to see which one is malfunctioning. Good Luck.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 6:35pm
Jim, if you don't have Protec, it could be a coil overheating issue.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 8:19am
I think we solved my problem last night or at least hope so. We replaced the fuel filter even though it was only a year old and every thing seemed to run better. I dumped the fuel from the filter into a bottle and it was all dark and dirty, just a few weeks ago it was clear. I am still not 100% sure it is fixed but we had some good runs last night with no stuttering and will give it a full test this weekend if the weather holds out.
Jimn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 8:36pm
Hope the new fuel filter works! Could someone tell me how I can determine if my 1990 Sport Nautique with a 351 hp Ford PCM engine has a Protec ignition system installed? What would I look for?
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 9:21pm
Protec systems generate spark from coil packs located above the bell housing at the rear of the engine. Easiest way to tell if you have a protec is to see where your spark plug wires come from. If they come from the back, it's a protec. If they come from a distributor in front of your carb it's not. If it is a protec, take a look at the coil packs for a brownish sticky goo (epoxy like) substance leaking from them. If you find this, the system is likely shot and it would be easiest to do the Mallory electronic distributor conversion from ski-dim to get back on the water quickly and easily. Other guys gave done other DUI distributor conversions but that requires tapping in to the wire harness, where as the kit is basically plug and play. Your looking at about $500 for the kit if I recall correctly.

Kyle
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Jimn Jimn wrote:

Hope the new fuel filter works! Could someone tell me how I can determine if my 1990 Sport Nautique with a 351 hp Ford PCM engine has a Protec ignition system installed? What would I look for?

ProTec wasn't introduced until '91. You don't have it unless it was some sort of a one-off special test edition that nobody knows about.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic