NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ProTec Ignition replacement question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I'm not sure if you have to or not, I'd have to let others weigh in on that. You'd probably be leaving some performance on the table if you didn't but I don't know if there's harm leaving it or not.

I was talking about opening up the gap on the plugs.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 2:24am
I'd change the plugs and index the new set while you're at it, they're cheap and you'll have 8 to choose from. I didn't like the 90 degree boots, but I have GT40p's so the plug angle is different. The pic I sent you has 45's on a long boot like the one in your pic.   Mine are for a 4.6 or 5.4 Ford, they sent them by mistake, but I like them because they come out to the edge of the manifold and they're easy to grab so I used them instead of the 45's I ordered.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I'd change the plugs and index the new set while you're at it, they're cheap and you'll have 8 to choose from. I didn't like the 90 degree boots, but I have GT40p's so the plug angle is different. The pic I sent you has 45's on a long boot like the one in your pic.   Mine are for a 4.6 or 5.4 Ford, they sent them by mistake, but I like them because they come out to the edge of the manifold and they're easy to grab so I used them instead of the 45's I ordered.

So index the plugs so the grounding strap is facing down towards the bottom of the head as best I can right?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 12:13pm
I think Don meant "gap" when he said index.

It's important to properly torque your plugs, but I don't think you have to worry about which way your ground straps are facing.

I'm sure there are guys in this site with their ground straps all aligned though, haha ;)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 1:08pm
No I meant index, cheap free power, the gap should face down. If you had the heads off you would see that you have 90 degrees or so where the gap is open twords the piston so anything in that range is good. When the gap faces the head the mixture has to get around one side of the plug to see the spark. Not a huge deal, 2 or 3hp per cylinder but it's noticeable if there are enough of them facing the wrong way.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 1:55pm
Good to know fellas. what is the proper torque for the plugs? I will try to index them like you said. I read up on how to do it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 2:18pm
I find the easiest thing to do is search Boxwrench.com for 351 Windsor, they have torque specs for everything you can think of. I don't even try to remember things like that anymore, always look them up so I'm not guessing at it.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 10:47pm
OK, a few more questions:

I'm pretty sure I have the GT40 heads on our boat. Are these aluminum or cast iron?

Plugs are Autolite 764 (14mm) gapped to 0.055" and torqued to 18-22 ft lbs. (Al) 25-30 ft lbs (cast iron).

Am I correct?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2014 at 10:59pm
Should be cast iron, 3 bars on the end is GT40, 4 bars is GT40p. That plug gap sounds big, I think the ProTec was .045. 764/104 are the same plugs, one has threads all the way, the other has them half way. 765 would be +1 on the heat range, 763 would be -1 on the heat range.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:04am
Your wasting your time indexing plugs on a stock motor.
Below is copied from NGK's site

4. Indexing

This is for racers only !!
Indexing refers to a process whereby auxiliary washers of varying thickness are placed under the spark plug's shoulder so that when the spark plug is tightened, the gap will point in the desired direction.

However, without running an engine on a dyno, it is impossible to gauge which type of indexing works best in your engine. While most engines like the spark plug's gap open to the intake valve, there are still other combinations that make more power with the gap pointed toward the exhaust valve.

In any case, engines with indexed spark plugs will typically make only a few more horsepower, typically less than 1% of total engine output. For a 500hp engine, you'd be lucky to get 5hp. While there are exceptions, the bottom line is that without a dyno, gauging success will be difficult.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:06am
The DUI allows for a bigger gap.

According to this http://performancedistributors.com/faqs/ you're good with the .055
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Should be cast iron, 3 bars on the end is GT40, 4 bars is GT40p.

It appears I have GT40 heads and not the "P" heads.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 11:18pm
Yep those are standard 40's
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 8:47pm
So, what's the latest here? Did you get the DUI? If so, how did the install go and how is it performing?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 9:16pm
DUI is on its way. I have the wires, crimpers, and other items. I'll be installing it in a few weeks after the Conway Wipeout event. I'm going to try to do a good write up with pics so we have it for others on the site.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 9:42pm
Sweet! If my ProTec lasts through the summer I plan to tackle this project over the winter and some step-by-step directions and pictures would be awesome. I have a good feeling this thread is going into the FAQ soon.

Did you buy a red one?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2014 at 9:54pm
Yes. wires and cap are red. should have the DUI this week. I ordered it last Saturday. I'll post pics when I have everything.
1993R View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 7:25pm
Please post your pics and details of the install. I own the 1992 CC catalog cover boat. My Pro-Tec is hanging in there but I want to change out over the winter as well.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:37pm
I most definitely will. Just called today to see where the dizzy is and it's apparently on back order and wont be here until mid to end of next week.

So still on course to install it in the beginning of August. I'll be following the wiring direction Desertskier provided on page 1 of this thread. I'll just supplement his directions with actual pics.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 8:33pm
Finally got the dizzy today. I believe I am ready to go. I do have a few questions:

Directions mention it is not recommended to run a high volume oil pump. I don't believe my stock 351W has a HVOP. Correct?

Instructions recommend removing any vacuum lines while timing. Do I need to remove the line going into the carb spacer? That's the only vac line I'm aware of.

It also says initial timing is 12 degrees.

If I am missing anything else, let me know.

Here are some pics:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Finally got the dizzy today. I believe I am ready to go. I do have a few questions:

Directions mention it is not recommended to run a high volume oil pump. I don't believe my stock 351W has a HVOP. Correct?

It wouldn't, not unless someone added it later.

Instructions recommend removing any vacuum lines while timing. Do I need to remove the line going into the carb spacer? That's the only vac line I'm aware of.

This language is probably left over from automotive applications. On a car, there's a vacuum port on the dizzy that could further advance the timing in cruise situations. This isn't applicable to boats.

It also says initial timing is 12 degrees.

Sounds in the correct range to me.

Keep in mind that the dizzy rotor turns counter clockwise. Just something to keep in mind when you're hooking up the wires. Here and there people will make the mistake of thinking it goes counter clockwise and mixing up their wiring.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:00pm
Good to know. Is it safe to assume I should be seeing 24 degrees at 3000RPM like it's inscribed on the dizzy?

I was also going by the manual in regards to rotor rotation and wiring.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:06pm

Good to know. Is it safe to assume I should be seeing 24 degrees at 3000RPM like it's inscribed on the dizzy?

I think that means the dizzy has 24 degrees of advance all in by 3000rpm. This combined with your 12 degrees static would have you at 36 degrees at 3000rpm.

I would drop that back a couple of degrees to 34 and check that at higher rpm 4000-5000rpm it goes no higher.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:10pm

I was also going by the manual in regards to rotor rotation and wiring.

Ok, cool. Good that you have images of the manual in front of you.

On the timing... that's a good question actually.

My first inclination is that you should have 24 degrees of advance for something like 35-36 degrees total timing. (Just saw Lewy's post; we're on the same page.)

But then, I've heard it said that the GT heads don't require as much advance. I remember Skidim at one point, listing on clearance a dizzy that was specifically curved for GT-40 heads. But I don't know how much less is the norm, like how much total advance a GT-40 head equipped engine should be seeing.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:11pm
That makes sense. Is it OK to check the timing on the hose in the driveway or do I need to have the engine under load on the water?

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:15pm
You can check it in the driveway. At least the idle speed initial for sure.

If you're were revving it up, you'd want to make sure your tranny doesn't have a dirty neutral, because you don't want your driveshaft to be spinning on a dry strut bearing.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:19pm
I had her on the hose quite a bit lately and the prop never spins when she's in neutral.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:39pm
Timing on our mech advance dizzys does not depend on load, only rpm... You can do it all on the hose.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 10:54pm
Is this mock-up the best way to crimp the tach and power wires to the provided terminal ends? Just going to use the black crimpers on right to roll the prongs over onto the wire. Correct? I'm used to the tube style terminal ends not these with "arms".

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:49pm
The black crimpers you have are good for the tube style terminal ends.

The terminal "ends with arms" I think go with a crimper that has a special die that will roll the arms in automatically as it's squeezed. But, those aren't the terminal ends you're actually using?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic