NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut Bushing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Bushing
    Posted: April-28-2004 at 8:32pm
How will I know when my strut bushing is worn out? Is there a good way to measure clearance? What clearance is too much?
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 9:14pm
grab it and try to wiggle it. You'll know.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2004 at 11:38pm
DUUUHHHH... I've gotten that far. Any clue how much wiggle?
Nauti Girl
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2004 at 1:13pm
NONE.
nauti girl,go to boat maintenance page 4 and look at shaft rotation.
this should help you. tryan said they need replacement at 300 hours.
a $40 bushing vs a $350 shaft,why guess?
kenny g
trauski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2004 at 8:21pm
$350 shaft is getting off easy. try 1400 bucks. after bushing fails , shaft breaks, bends strut and prop redesigns the bottom of your boat. you could rebuild prop but it might fall off and sink.

i caught mine just before she broke. all the sudden i developed a strong vibration on take off. dove under to check for weeds or debris. saw nothing , so i pulled boat out. on further investigating, the shaft had a crack all the way around it ,near just past the strut. one more take-of would have snapped it.strut had become bent and caused bushing to wear out. happend 2 days before i was to take boat on
houseboat trip,go figure.
1993 ski nautique,pro-boss,14/16 OJ 4-blade,perfect-pass,dual mirrors on top
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2005 at 12:39am
I got some BAD information on this thread. So, I thought I would write back in to let everyone else know the correct answer to my question. New A R E strut bushings are manufactured with inside diameter 1.008" - 4 thousandths clearance all the way around the shaft for a layer of water. They are NOT "snug" on the shaft. There IS play. You can easily feel it (if you have perfect shaft alignment). Furthermore, a shaft bushing is NOT considered "worn out" until there is 1/16" (~62 thousandths) clearance. THANKS ALOT "tryan"! I pulled my shaft and bushing and purchased a new one only to find out my old one had only worn 2 thousandths (total I.D. 1.010). What a HUGE waste of time and money!
Nauti Girl
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2005 at 5:24am
Nauti Girl,

Excellent response. Amazing how a little time spent reading can set us all straight. I'm replacing my prop and will make sure I check the bushing tolerance while I'm at it. Thanks for the research.

Good Luck!

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic