Forum Name: Boat Maintenance
Forum Discription: Discuss maintenance of your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=334
Printed Date: May-12-2024 at 11:07am

Topic: Strut Bushing
Posted By: nauti girl
Subject: Strut Bushing
Date Posted: April-28-2004 at 8:32pm
How will I know when my strut bushing is worn out? Is there a good way to measure clearance? What clearance is too much?

-------------
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!

Replies:
Posted By: boatnut
Date Posted: April-28-2004 at 9:14pm
grab it and try to wiggle it. You'll know.

Date Posted: April-28-2004 at 11:38pm
DUUUHHHH... I've gotten that far. Any clue how much wiggle?

-------------
Nauti Girl

Posted By: kenny g
Date Posted: April-29-2004 at 1:13pm
NONE.
nauti girl,go to boat maintenance page 4 and look at shaft rotation.
this should help you. tryan said they need replacement at 300 hours.
a $40 bushing vs a $350 shaft,why guess?

-------------
kenny g

Posted By: trauski
Date Posted: July-13-2004 at 8:21pm
$350 shaft is getting off easy. try 1400 bucks. after bushing fails , shaft breaks, bends strut and prop redesigns the bottom of your boat. you could rebuild prop but it might fall off and sink.

i caught mine just before she broke. all the sudden i developed a strong vibration on take off. dove under to check for weeds or debris. saw nothing , so i pulled boat out. on further investigating, the shaft had a crack all the way around it ,near just past the strut. one more take-of would have snapped it.strut had become bent and caused bushing to wear out. happend 2 days before i was to take boat on
houseboat trip,go figure.

-------------
1993 ski nautique,pro-boss,14/16 OJ 4-blade,perfect-pass,dual mirrors on top

Date Posted: January-25-2005 at 12:39am
I got some BAD information on this thread. So, I thought I would write back in to let everyone else know the correct answer to my question. New A R E strut bushings are manufactured with inside diameter 1.008" - 4 thousandths clearance all the way around the shaft for a layer of water. They are NOT "snug" on the shaft. There IS play. You can easily feel it (if you have perfect shaft alignment). Furthermore, a shaft bushing is NOT considered "worn out" until there is 1/16" (~62 thousandths) clearance. THANKS ALOT "tryan"! I pulled my shaft and bushing and purchased a new one only to find out my old one had only worn 2 thousandths (total I.D. 1.010). What a HUGE waste of time and money!

-------------
Nauti Girl

Posted By: 64 Skier
Date Posted: January-25-2005 at 5:24am
Nauti Girl,

Excellent response. Amazing how a little time spent reading can set us all straight. I'm replacing my prop and will make sure I check the bushing tolerance while I'm at it. Thanks for the research.

Good Luck!

-------------
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1071&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 71CC

Print Page | Close Window