NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ice Out - Open Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pete what temp is a "warm" day?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 11:25am
It was 65 yesterday at 5PM. That's warm. Temps are somehow being forecast as below actual peak temps the last few days up here.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 12:15pm
Broke ice yesterday from ramp to main lake which was about 1-2" thick. skied and had a few beers. 65 degrees no wind made for a delightful afternoon! The channel we broke earlier floated shut and we had to break a new one to get back to ramp!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Broke ice yesterday from ramp to main lake which was about 1-2" thick. skied and had a few beers. 65 degrees no wind made for a delightful afternoon! The channel we broke earlier floated shut and we had to break a new one to get back to ramp!

Saw the pics on FB, was trying to figure out how you were bacerds footin with all that ice, now it makes sense!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 12:58pm
I was just wondering what our northern most Pete had for weather,I get regular updates and pictures from home as to ours. Came home our first year in the beginning April expecting buds on the trees things starting to turn green,Nope it went about another 3-4 weeks. Lesson learned,alot can still happen between now and the end of April It passed 80 around 930 this morning water temp the last time I checked was 79. Natives say it's to cold to go in
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2017 at 6:20pm

That is awesome! What did you break the ice with? Dry suit I assume?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

That is awesome! What did you break the ice with? Dry suit I assume?

The ice was only on the way to the main lake probably about 200 yards and not real thick. We used a 2006 196SE of course! Yes to the drysuit as the water temp was not much above freezing. Speaking of that.....anyone have a good lead on drysuuit seals? I may start a new thread as I need to repair an ankle seal.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:11am
When you said 1-2" I wondered if you'd break that with the ski boat. Thought you might need a sacrificial aluminum boat to do it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 11:17am
My wife and I paddled our kayaks through 1-2" ice.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 12:03pm

When you said 1-2" I wondered if you'd break that with the ski boat. Thought you might need a sacrificial aluminum boat to do it.

LOL

I used a friends sacrificial 196! It sounds terrible when doing it but it was not the first time and there were no ill effects from either try. The other time we had to do that the ice was thick enough that he got out of his boat and stood on the ice next to it for the photo op. Saturday's ice probably would not have held a small dog.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2017 at 12:30pm
We are officially open water for 2017 !!
Deep Lake
Lake Villa, Illinois
February 22, 2017

Earliest thaw in my 19yrs on this lake

02/21/2017

02/22/2017

Who wants to come over next weekend and help me put my piers and lifts in :)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2017 at 12:40pm
Chris, let's wait until it warms up again. You want to be like Judd I know--but he has beaten you this year because his end of the lake melted first!
I'm even thinking of putting my lift in with a bunch of guys (I'd need about 6 I think to drag it down the hill and I'm sure that won't happen easily).

Water is 34F   Don't let it get over the top of your waders or further shrinkage may make you wish you had location services on a certain anatomical feature.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2017 at 3:35pm
Thawed out mostly yesterday afternoon. We are skiing today. Never had open water in February before here either as long as anyone can recall.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2017 at 10:35pm
Hope you had a good ski! Last year I skied March 9th on the local river. Ice should be out in the next few weeks, might give it a try.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:53am
It was glass this morning but breezy this afternoon. We skied, it was fun and we will be going back out this weekend. The forecast still is mostly well above freezing, looks like spring is kinda here.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:00am
I assume you are in dry suits, but what do you do for feet and hands? Anything?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:12am
Drysuit oh yes.

Nothing on feet hands or head while skiing. Warm water cooler in the boat followed by boots gloves and hat.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:16am
Once I get up I'm fine, but my hands really were beginning to lock up in the water. I was wearing my regular ski gloves, wondered if something else would work better.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:17am
Yes. Nothing.

Would you rather wear a wet t shirt in the cold or go bare chested?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:23am
Aha, good point. I'll try no gloves.

Once I heat up, doing anything, I stay really warm. I can winter hike in a t-shirt. After I ski I get in the boat and am perfectly warm for a while. A guy I ski with gets in the boat and puts 3 layers on and even with his feet under the heater can't get them to warm up.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 1:30am
The cooler of hot water is the hot ticket to warm up the feet - works really well!

Kev - let me know when you are skiing this weekend. I am open a little bit on Saturday but most of the day on Sunday, love to work on the back deeps, ahh, errr, or ... maybe just drive.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 10:52am

I assume you are in dry suits, but what do you do for feet and hands? Anything?

For barefooting, I have wetsuit booties and gloves. (Kevin will say that is not real barefooting but to that I say, "your opinion saddens me deeply") For slalom, I cant get the grip I like with the gloves so I wear regular ski gloves (keeps the wind off?) and maybe one bootie, which sort of fits into my rear toe piece. Front foot is pretty well insulated in the binding.

(I did my Christmas run with none of the above as I didnt want my super cheap santa suit to bleed red all over my white dry suit.)

Dont recall why I had no gloves. I tried to step off to barefoot and crashed. Nuts! At that point the santa suit was pretty tore up. So I just took a quick ski run in my shorty suit until a solid turn broke my rope. (I know, Kev, big surprise there, huh - got a new one for Christmas - good timing) With the kind of luck I was having that day, I quit and went back to the fire and a hot tottie.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:04am
I'm jealous. Nobody on my lake has as much a sense of adventure as you guys.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:15am
I almost started a new thread titled "ice in"! Well, we still have plenty up here Even with the thaw that melted the top but then froze again, reports of 15 to 18 inches are common from the fishermen. The snow is coming down real heavy and the forecast through tomorrow is 12 inches or more in some areas. This will bring the snowmobiles back out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:24am
Larry, can't believe that 1987 rope broke on you, maybe you're just too strong. Wait till you try that new rope that actually has some stretch!

This cold skiing is a new thing for me the past few years. Before skiing on the river I'd push the season on the lake a bit, but they drop the lake levels in early October and they don't come back up until the thaw, so it was limited. The river, once ice floes are gone, is a pretty good option if we get a warm day. I don't have a dry suit yet, need to take that step, needless to say it's a shock in the wet suit.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:32am

Larry, can't believe that 1987 rope broke on you, .

Hey now, I have nothing but the finest state of the art equipment.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:54am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Say what??????

Larry, is that a sunken sunfish behind you standing on the pier, lol
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:10pm
I use all forms of encouragement including disparagement, light torture, and public shaming. Clearly we are not skiing and our lake is open. I'm shaming myself as well.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Say what??????

I was wondering about that CQ. I guess Pete doesnt think you are any fun.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Larry, is that a sunken sunfish behind you standing on the pier, lol

Yes, (more of my state of the art equipment) and it is giving me fits. Needless to say it leaks. Last spring, I refiberglassed a few suspect areas on the bottom, put it right side up on blocks and filled it with water. Still leaked. Tried more patches, still leaked. Used that "as seen on TV" goo that they use to make boats out of screen doors, still leaked. I think the leak is up in the centerboard slot and I cant get to it. So I got it down to a trickle. When it fills up with water, it weighs 4,000 pounds and is hard to get up on land to tip up and drain, so I cut a hole in the top, installed an inspection plate and bought a pump to drain it. Good plan. Obviously let it go a bit long for this photo. I was just about ready to cut it up, I dont use it too often but I paid only $300 for it about 25 years ago, so it certainly doesnt owe me anything. I may try to tackle the leaks again this spring. Its fun on a windy day.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Hey now, I have nothing but the finest state of the art equipment.

Kind of cool that you posed in front of that ancient antique ski boat. Did they pull it out of the museum so you could take the picture?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic