Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer wanted??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer wanted??
    Posted: March-04-2015 at 2:39pm
We towed 3500-4000 miles in 2 weeks with the Nautique on the new-to-us Owen's and sons aluminum "SlideOn" trailer... The trailer is a 1998 model that I put new breaks, tires and lights on when I got it last fall. I also replaced the winch stand with carpeted pads on an upright the same as was on the old Ramlin so we could drive the boat on the same way. I built the carpeted upright myself and powder coated it in a buddy's shop. (which was very cool, BTW).

The new trailer towed FLAWLESSLY!! The Nautique sits 4 or 5 inches higher on the Owen's over the Ramlin, but we saw no ill effects from that at all... The tandem axle was a dream to tow. It essentially removed the trailer pushing the truck around altogether. The steering wheel could be held with a much lighter hand which is very welcome when towing 6-900 miles in one day!

The trailer also is considerably skinnier than the Ramlin which makes it much easier to keep in it's lane as well as maneuver on tight Olga, FL streets. The downside to this is that the fenders only protrude a few inches from the hull so they are less effective as a step where the Ramlin offered the full fender width to get in and out of the boat when it's loaded on the trailer. It's not a big deal as long as you are conscious of it. On the other hand, I did miss the carpeted areas that are on the Ramlin that run from the trailer fender to the transom area, but only once so far..

All in all, I give the Owen's and Sons aluminum I beam trailer THREE THUMBS UP!!!!

Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 8:02am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2015 at 12:43am
Back in 1997- I had a trailer made by BOATMASTER in Ft. Myers. It was the nicest trailer I ever owned. They made an exact copy of what I had for my nautique. I trailed my rusted out trailer to them- as I pulled in their parking lot my trailer snapped in half-literally! They make all the trailers for the Florida marine patrol and many other big outfits. Here is the link. Should be really close to you. Now this was almost 20 years ago- but it was $1800 for the trailer to be custom made- with side steps and all. Had awesome diamond plate side steps- trailer was killer!

http://www.jdciboatmaster.com/home.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2015 at 3:57pm
I think I found the clunking.. The entire coupler assembly was new and installed as a unit. I didn't even think to check the outer part to inner, slidy part bolts... Well it's a good thing I eventually thought of it.

Also, added some sweet little LED button type lights to the outer area of the fenders. We were pretty fond of this feature on the Ramlin as you could see the yellow marker lights in the truck's mirrors... I wired up 2 of them, tested them and got nothin, nada, zippo... Without a wiring diagram, I had wired black to ground and white to power... Of course, thinking an incandescent bulb ain't gonna care anyway.... Seems that's not so with LED. I reversed the wires and on they come... Yeah, BLACK was +!

These little LEDs use a rubber grommet in a 3/4 hole in the metal and just pop into the grommet. Super easy to install... (less the wacky wiring).

Off to ski with the gators soon!!

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 10:53am
I thought about looking into repairing the Supra, but didn't even bother... I obviously would have no use for it. Even in decent shape and running I felt it wasn't worth the time and parts I'd need to sink into it. It's the project of a very nice man and his family from Craigslist now.

On another note, I replaced all the brake parts with brand new on the Owens and Sons trailer. They work fine now except that I get a clunk clunk, bang bang noise on moderate braking. Hard braking nice and quiet as is pretty easy braking. I'm kinda at a loss...

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Popped freeze plugs which we all know means cracked block,

Not necessarily. Cap the cooling inlets/outlets and do a pressure check.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 7:14pm
As requested.... said Supra.. Popped freeze plugs which we all know means cracked block, hull respectable, might shine with compound. Interior toast, floors a mixed bag.

1964 American Skier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

The other "interesting feature" with the Owen's and Son is the huge wood bunks and their propensity to make the trailer FLOAT! I thought my eyes were going batty, but sure enough, without the boat on it and in deep to launch, it starts to go downriver.

That's hilarious. Glad you found a solution. Pics of the Supra or it didn't happen!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:19pm
On another note... Took our last run of the season yesterday and pickled the boat.

Come on Feb and FLA!

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2014 at 6:17pm
I ended up with an Owen's and Son, Slide-On Aluminum. I found one for reasonable money with a Supra on it that I gave away. The price was such that if I hated it, I could flip it. It's a tandem axle, 7000 lb model and trailers very nice despite the Nautique sitting about 5 inches higher. The only downside we've found so far is loading has to be much more precise. The trailer needs to be level and in the water the exact correct amount. Loading on the old Ramlin, the trailer could be way off and still load successfully. With the Owen, the crossmembers are not as low and the boat must be up on the bunks to ensure not hitting them with the skegs.

The other "interesting feature" with the Owen's and Son is the huge wood bunks and their propensity to make the trailer FLOAT! I thought my eyes were going batty, but sure enough, without the boat on it and in deep to launch, it starts to go downriver.

1964 American Skier
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 12:42am
Sorry for the delay!
Winni was awesome on Sunday!
Lots of sun and lots of boats! I might have even found another project!
The trailer is a 1989 trailmaster 21-ski-p. It has a winch and the prop guard set up.
Yes it is in Natick and can be checked out here if you would like!
Thanks,
John
Old school goin back to school!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by JDD33 JDD33 wrote:

I currently have a Trailmaster single axel under my 1987 Ski Nautique . It's a c channel design and tows well.
I just found an original CC trailer for my Nautique that I'm going to rehab for the boat. So long story short the Trailmaster will be available for sale later this summer. Not sure if it will fit your '97 but I'm heading to the big lake tomorrow afternoon if you want to get together and take a look at it.
Thanks,
John

John,
Thanks for the great offer. I presume you mean Winni. I'm not sure I can make that work this afternoon as I have other commitments. Maybe I could get a look at it in Natick if that's where you keep it during the week. Or possibly on your way home Sat or Sun??

Got the model number, by chance?

thanks,

Rick

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by JDD33 JDD33 wrote:

I currently have a Trailmaster single axel under my 1987 Ski Nautique . It's a c channel design and tows well.
I just found an original CC trailer for my Nautique that I'm going to rehab for the boat. So long story short the Trailmaster will be available for sale later this summer. Not sure if it will fit your '97 but I'm heading to the big lake tomorrow afternoon if you want to get together and take a look at it.
Thanks,
John

John,
Thanks for the great offer. I presume you mean Winni. I'm not sure I can make that work this afternoon as I have other commitments. Maybe I could get a look at it in Natick if that's where you keep it during the week. Or possibly on your way home Sat or Sun??

thanks,

Rick

1964 American Skier
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 11:02pm
Thanks,
John
Old school goin back to school!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:12pm
Go check out a CC #4 and #5 trailer and see if they have enough stiffness for your 1997 Ski Nautique...

I haven't seen any 60s, 70s or 80s CCs damaged from their trailers "flexing". Hell, even when they fall off the trailer they barely get hurt!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

CC went to box in 1990. Like I said, other manufacturers continued to build c channel ski boat trailers well through the 90s. Many of them have since gone to tube though. Are they just looking for repeat business??

I suspect they've gone to tube because of strength and stiffness. I'm a bit of a Jeep nut and the flex on my C channel 1957 frame offroad is HUGE compared to a later Jeep's fully boxed frame. That's also why the 57's frame is still alive cuz it hasn't rotted, but the flex transmitted into the body does bend panels here and there... I'm not sure that same flex would be good for a fiberglass boat. Admittedly, I'm not towing it offroad, but the Cross Bronx if pretty close.

1964 American Skier
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 11:25am
CC went to box in 1990. Like I said, other manufacturers continued to build c channel ski boat trailers well through the 90s. Many of them have since gone to tube though. Are they just looking for repeat business??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by JB1995Ski JB1995Ski wrote:

I bought a 95 Ski Nautique last year. The dealer included a brand new single axle Continental alumimum trailer (A model)and it works great.
http://www.continentaltrailers.com/aluminum-a.htm

For everyone's convenience, here's a proper link

this thought did cross my mind, but I wondered how big C channel stock would need to be to support the equivalent of tube stock. Are C channel Nautique trailers still made? I figured they changed from my 1987 C channel trailer to the box stock 1997 model.

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2014 at 10:21pm

I bought a 95 Ski Nautique last year. The dealer included a brand new single axle Continental alumimum trailer (A model)and it works great.

For everyone's convenience, here's a proper link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2014 at 4:05pm
Find a C channel steel trailer (west coast manufacturer?). The box frames rot from the inside out. Aluminums are just too ugly...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2014 at 2:56pm

Do you have the model number? Any chance you could measure the bunk height to the ground?

thanks,

Rick

1964 American Skier
JB1995Ski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB1995Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2014 at 11:43am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 11:21am
My issue with 13 inch wheels other than carrying capacity is the extra speed they'll spin over a larger wheel/tire and the extra heat generated. Admittedly, I have not been looking at tandem axle rigs. My current single axle tows perfectly and we already get hit hard enough in tolls. One toll booth operator asked me why I was laughing at the amount. I said "this is ridiculous, a car is 13 bucks, but a car with a single axle trailer is 27, how's that make sense?". Yeah, I know.... richie boat owner!

I talked to the trailer outlet.

My #1 concern is that I tow this thing 3000 miles during a 2 week period in February. The absolute last thing I want to see is us at South of the Border with a trailer issue.

1964 American Skier
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 9:27am
There's a guy in NH that sells boat trailers. He quoted me $3300 for a dual-axle for my 1969 San Juan.

The Trailer Outlet
964 Laconia Rd
Tilton NH 03276
Ph# 603-524-4344
Fax# 603-524-3122
http://www.traileroutlet.net
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 12:51am
Nothing wrong with 13" wheels and tires for a modern Ski Nautique trailer... Assuming it's a tandem. A single axle with 13" wheels would not have anywhere near the required load capacity.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don't knock 13" wheels,they can keep the trailer low and that can make it narrower.

Rick,
I too agree with Gary. What's the problem with 13" wheels??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 8:53pm
If your in SW Florida check out Owens and Son they are in St. Pete and see if they have one for a Nautique. I understand they are great to work with. Phoenix Trailers out of Michigan is another who I see make aluminum trailers. I have an aluminum Owens and a steel Phoenix. Don't knock 13" wheels,they can keep the trailer low and that can make it narrower. My Phoenix is 102" sidewall to sidewall,the thing is hugh it will not fit on the pad where my Parents kept a 27' Airstream
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 7:18pm
Does Boatmate make an aluminum Nautique trailer? Do you have one?

thanks,

Rick

1964 American Skier
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 7:01pm
Boatmate
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 5:52pm
I have not had much luck yet... I can get a steel, painted replacement trailer that will fit my 1997 Ski Nautique TSC hull, but I am very leery of buying another steel trailer. We are not nice to our trailer dipping it in brackish water and towing it in snowstorms during our February NH->SWFL->NH trips.

But the Alum camp hasn't been much help either.. I've looked into the "Inboard, Ski Boat" models by Loadrite and Shorelander and the knowledge of the dealers is.... uh... limited is putting it nicely. One guy said "Your Nautique will sit 6-8" higher, but that won't affect the handling at all". Another spec'd a trailer with 13 inch tires... Really??

I'm open to any input and ideas.... thanks!!

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic