NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:18am
Not a whole lot to report. After a weekend out of town, just really started digging into the boat after I sprayed the gel. I started by wetsanding with 320 but it was quickly apparent that I wasn't removing the orange peel, so I ended up going all the way down to 120. So my process is:

120 grit dry on an 11" Durablock to knock down 90% of the orange peel
220 grit dry on 6" DA sander
400 grit dry on 6" DA sander
600 wet
800 wet
1000 wet
3m Super Duty Rubbing Compound
3m Perfect It Rubbing Compound (???)
3m Finesse It

Any input on whether the Perfect It rubbing compound is needed? I don't have any of that and wondered if it's worth buying it and another wool pad.

I was worried if the gel was going to be thick enough but I think I'm out of the woods with that. After the 600 grit you're not really removing hardly any material. I'm only through 800 grit but I'm super happy with how it's turning out. I finally feel like I'm reaching a milestone with this project. Here is a shot after I sprayed it down after 800.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?   

Hmmm.....and what might this be???

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 11:33pm
You know it is done right. I don't think you will get the same care paying someone else.
'92 Sport Nautique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 10:49pm
yer nutz
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 10:31pm
I am always amazed at people that can tackle a job like this. Lots to be proud of! Nice work.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 4:22pm
Great Progress !!!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

First off Craig,looking great. 2nd is your garage connected to the house,if so your wife is going to kill you Looking at the last couple of photos it looks like the boat is all the way down on the ground already,I'll bet it was quite the workout.I assume the "old" gel turned out ok? What gun did you use,got a picture and tip size?

Gary, this is all being done in the detached garage. Definitely no way you would ever want to do this near the house unless you took major precautions to seal it off.

The boat is up on stands I made, probably about 18" off the ground. You can see a better angle in previous pictures where I had it rolled out of the garage to wash it off. It's the perfect height for working on the sides, but a little high for doing the bottom. I'm not so sure if I did this all over again that I wouldn't just work on the bottom first, then when it's complete/cured, work on the sides on a separate day. It's just a lot to tackle for one person.

I used a cheap gun off of Amazon with a 2.5mm nozzle. I don't have much painting experience so I can't really comment on if it's good/bad, but it seemed to work OK. I think I would've preferred a bigger nozzle though to be able to lay down heavier coats quicker.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Awesome work Craig, Looks fantastic. I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?    

After watching the Hurricane thread Alan, I'm not sure you want/need to take any advice from me, but I would be happy to share. Honestly, I would advise anyone thinking about doing their own regel to re-consider, and have it quoted somewhere else. Unless you have good bodywork skills, and have a dedicated facility/tools to do all of the grinding/fairing/spraying, it is just a ton of extremely messy work. It has taken me wayyy longer to get to this point than I ever imagined and I still need to flip the damn thing over . I would've been better off taking the time I worked on this part of the job and got a part-time job at McDonalds, and just paid someone else to do it with my earnings . All that said, there is something to say about learning something new, grinding through the learning curve, and finishing something yourself. The goal for this boat was always to do every bit of it that I thought I was able to do.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 1:09pm
Great work Craig...have been following your progress, thanks for sharing the do’s and don’ts on regel of a hull, a great help for all
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 12:31pm
Craig,
I feel the color is great (unless my monitor is off! ) It's looking fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 12:07pm
Awesome work Craig, Looks fantastic. I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?    
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 11:51am
First off Craig,looking great. 2nd is your garage connected to the house,if so your wife is going to kill you Looking at the last couple of photos it looks like the boat is all the way down on the ground already,I'll bet it was quite the workout.I assume the "old" gel turned out ok? What gun did you use,got a picture and tip size? I used the Duratec on some console parts after the main part was done,it leaves a funny looking sheen on the part,which I can see in your pictures but sure smooths it out better. I never sanded or buffed those parts though because they were inside and I just wanted it done to cover the old color. I'm sure it will make a difference in your sanding project. Once again great job!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 11:47am
looks great! Keep up the hard work and thanks for the pix!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 11:31am
Wrapped up spraying the gel last night. Took about 6 hours of spraying, after which I was ready to ditch the respirator. I am pretty relieved as this was certainly a major milestone. This continues to be a learning process, and I definitely learned a few things about spraying gel:

#1. Even if you think your color match is right on the money, it will change once you mix it in with the "neutral" gelcoat. I had it matched exactly like the original powder blue, but once I mixed in the 20+ oz's of tint into the 5 gallon pale of neutral gel, it changed. So I scrambled to work back towards the original color but definitely did not achieve it. However, I just had to remind myself that I still like the color, and nobody outside of this forum will know what the original color is anyway...so who cares.

#2 Just because everything you've sprayed to this point (Duratec VE primers) needed 2% MEKP, that does not mean that the gel (US Composites) needs 2% MEKP. Cleaning out a HVLP that has gel starting to kick is not fun. Watching the rest of the gel boil in a container is kind of cool though.

#3 Duratec Hi-gloss additive is worth the money. If anyone is even thinking about spraying gel, I would highly recommend it. It extends the pot life, it thins the gel so it's easier to spray, it lets the gel flow better (less orange peel), and it allows for air cure without wax (although I did add wax for maximum hardness, per Fibreglast's advice.)

#4. You need a lot of acetone, I had 1-1/2 gallons of acetone and I almost ran out just on this spray alone, and all I was using it for was cleaning the gun out. I lost count but I mixed up & sprayed just over 20 batches of gel. Everyone of those is followed by a thorough cleaning of the gun, or you will have problems.

#5. You should take time to get the boat into a comfortable working position. After spraying for 5+ hours, I really wish the boat was a little lower to the ground. Trying to reach the keel while holding the gun full of gel, and not touching the side of the boat, got old fast.

I'm sure there are other things I've learned as well (like just pay to have someone do this for you ), but all in all, I am happy with how it turned out so far. The color in the pictures is a little misleading, so I will just say it is light blue. Obviously I have to start sanding it down now and hopefully I don't find out I'm too thin.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:03pm
Wow, awesome work! Definitely not looking forward to doing this on mine..
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:47pm
This will be one of the nicest ones out there ,,,,, Great work keep posting the awesome photos.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 2:21pm
Craig the oldest gel I have and last used in the spring of '14 is dated 2009.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

I know there is a shelf life and I tried to protect against that by spray some of that "Bloxygen" in the container to help preserve it.

Craig,
Do you have ether a TIG or MIG (gas and not flux core) welder? I do and use the gas to protect all my finishes that may oxidize during storage. The Bloxygen is good but pretty pricey and welding gas very reasonable,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 12:19pm
I think your smart to test first Craig. I will have to check when I bought mine but as of a year and a half ago I was still using what I had.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:26am
Gary, the plan is to shoot the gel this upcoming weekend. The garage is heated/insulated so even if the temps drop I think I can get it up to 75° no problem.

I bought 5 gallons of gel and was hoping to do the whole boat with it. I think it should certainly be enough to do the bottom/sides.

I was a little to optimistic about how soon I would be shooting earlier this year and I went ahead and bought the gel back in February.... I know there is a shelf life and I tried to protect against that by spray some of that "Bloxygen" in the container to help preserve it. I am going to test shoot a scrap piece of wood or something and make sure it cures OK. I am certainly going to use fresh MEKP. Anyone have any horror stories about older gel that might make me think twice about it?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 9:10pm
Craig,
It's looking great. Keep up the good work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 9:05pm
Wow Craig! Are you planning on shooting the gel soon before it gets too cold out? How many gallons of gel do you think you will need?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 7:46pm
After sanding the fairing primer, washed and ready to go back in for final priming.

Duratec VE primer

Here you can see some pinholes that showed themselves clearly after priming.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2015 at 7:32pm
Started winter #3 with some more fairing around the inside radius just below the rub rail and then I was finally to a point where I was satisfied and ready to put down the final primer. One thing I have learned is how much easier PE/VE resins are to work with if you just give them some heat. Most labels I've seen say 60+ degrees and you're fine. I've found that even 70 doesn't quite set up fast enough to work with within the same day. Once I started getting the garage up to around 75, things went much smoother.

I used Duratec's VE primer with the same hvlp that I used before with the 2.5mm nozzle. Line pressure was around 38-40psi. I mixed 700g of primer with 2% MEKP and added about 8-10% of MEK to thin. I was able to spray that within about 10 minutes and never had an issue with it starting to kick in the gun. I bought 1 gallon but should have got 2. I used up the whole gallon just for the bottom and sides.

This primer laid down much smoother than the fairing primer. I did discover several pin holes that were visible after covering the boat with one color. I will fill these spots, give the whole boat another light longboard sanding, then I will be ready to gel. I feel like I'm comfortable shooting the resins so hopefully it goes well.

Pictures to follow.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 11:50am
Glad you're keeping the Factory color!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 9:58am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wow my back hurts just looking at the pictures! Awesome work.

Are you sanding by hand? If so, don't worry- I hear finger prints eventually grow back.

Have you decided on a color yet?

99% of the sanding has been by hand with Dura-Blocks. Occasionally I would use the inline or DA to knock down a high spot right after applying the compound. The Dura-Blocks are pretty nice but yeah, I'm way over the sanding portion even though I still have a lot to do .

The color will be the original Powder Blue, or as close as I can come to matching it. You could say it's for the sake of keeping it exactly original, but I actually like that color the best anyway so that's what it's going to be.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 12:20am
Ambitious project for sure Craig !    Makes the Grin Factor even better when you turn the key.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 12:11am
Wow my back hurts just looking at the pictures! Awesome work.

Are you sanding by hand? If so, don't worry- I hear finger prints eventually grow back.

Have you decided on a color yet?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2015 at 12:02am
Craig,
Keep up the good work. There are always ups and downs with any project but the key is to keep moving forward one day at a time. The next time you undertake a gel job, just imagine how smooth it will go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:29pm
Sorry, I did not knowingly post that rotten wood photo.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 9:28pm
Your work is terrific, it is great to see the progress and this boat being saved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
  Share Topic