NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'63 American Skier in Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '63 American Skier in Colorado
    Posted: October-06-2013 at 12:55am
Hello, I've joined the ranks
She's been a Colorado, one owner boat, her whole life. I'm looking forward to getting her back on the water with help from the wisdom on this site! Let the journey begin
[
IMG]uploads/14368/Dearbo_C-1_drive_63_CC_American_SKier.jpg[/IMG]
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 1:15am
KC,
NICE FIND!!! Your 'skier looks to be in pretty good shape. Doesn't look like it will take a lot to get her back in the water. do you know what hp the Interceptor is?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 2:20am
Hi Steve,
Thanks, it's the 215hp

It has had a new long block at some point. (different paint color) The original owner passed away, it was bought at an estate sale by a gentleman that lives near me. I drove past it sitting on the back of his property for months. He was asking too much for it I suppose. We had a freeze warning forecast a couple days ago and I knew the boat had to be holding some water with the epic rains we've had. Long story short I traded a motorcycle and a little cash, shop vac'd maybe 40 gallons of water out of the hull and saved her from the hard freeze. It's the original floor (repainted) except just behind the dog house and the piece between the engine and the battery. Stringers are solid, but but there is some de-lamination on the outer ones. I'll take more pics later, I sure need some advice on proper repairs.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 10:33am
Welcome to CCF. What a great find. The steering wheel even looks really good. That boat will fly with that 312. Keep posting pics.
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 11:08am
I agree really nice find. Congrats!!!

Waldo
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 11:32am
A couple things of interest. Your 'skier has a steering column instead of a Teleflex. Also has a "Correct Craft" dash emblem. Mine has an "American Skier" emblem. Wonder how many A.S. had a dash shifter? Most seem to have a floor shifter.

What is the 2nd gauge from the left? Looks like its been replaced? What is it?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 3:13pm
Nice find! Also, good job on saving it!    Poor thing would have been a night mare if you hadn't come along...
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 4:14pm
Nice boat KC!! Welcome to the site!! Looking forward to seeing her all cleaned up and on the water!
83Ski
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 8:05pm
Thank you for the kind words and welcome! The second gauge over is a temp gauge, I would like to find an original.
But that is low on the list, she looks ok from 10 feet away, but close ups show she is a little worse for the wear.
More pics coming soon, I have lots of questions too. Thanks to all in advance.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2013 at 11:28pm
Hey Marty, Check out the tach in KC's boat!

As for the temp gauge, I ordered a new SW mechanical gauge for my 64.
They make one with (I think) a 15 foot long sender. It is VERY close to the original gauge with an electric sender. My 64 is in storage but, I think it is the gauge just left of my tach...

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:12am
My '63 has the dash shifter, but with my LH rotation Buick the wheel is on the left, shifter to the right of it. My original tach is just like that one, stopped working and I never repaired it.

Very nice boat, congrats on the purchase, it's going to be fun!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 2:18am
Thanks for the info on the temp gauge Steve. Your '64 looks sweet! I see now the difference with the steering column. Did you replace your windshield, it's so clear. Mine is bent from people using it to pull themselves up from the seat I believe.

The great news is…. I got it started! I think it's been sitting since '09, thats the last registration tag. The fuel tank smelled pretty bad. I drained it and this is what came out.

Anybody know why it's green??
I drained the fuel pump bowl and pulled the front carb bowl cap thinking I'd find green fuel. But, it was dry!! Reassembled, dropped the fuel line in a fresh 5 gallon. Cleared some fresh fuel through the pump into a bucket, reattached the fuel line. Cranked for maybe 30 seconds and it fired right up! Man am I happy! Sounds better than I imagined it would!
The bad news is I can't find neutral, prop is either spinning forward or reverse. (Any ideas/thoughts much appreciated)
Here are some close ups, needs work
Hull damage, spent the summers tied to a dock on Lake Loveland

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 10:29am
KC,
I didn't replace the windshield. When I got the boat you could hardly see thru it, especially if you were heading into the sun. I had nothing to lose so I wet sanded and buffed it ... just like clear coat on paint. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

You might try "bending" the top molding a bit? Not sure with the windshield off,if you could gently use a heatgun to help bring the windshield back to the original shape? Maybe someone else will chime in with other ideas?

My secondary stringers were only rotted in a couple of spots at the top edge. I sistered 3/4 boards along side the originals and made all new floor support purlins. Capped it with 5/8" BC plywood for the floor. [

Do you know what trans is in the boat? I wouldn't worry a lot yet about the "dirty neutral". Mine has a Paragon gear box on the trailer you can not feel any neutral and it will spin when the motor is running. In the water it does spin a bit, but not enough to be a problem. Be careful running it this way.. it can burn up the cutlass bearing. I wrap a strip of inner tube around the shaft and use a vise grip to hold the shaft from turning if I need to do any "running engine" work.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 10:52am
Here's a SW gauge with 144" cap tube.

another with a shorter dial sweep. (good price!)

I have never found any original style gauge with a lower range.. 100 to 250 really isn't needed. You will probably run in the 140 -150 area. but either of these are pretty close to originals.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:34pm
From a glimpse of the rear exhaust picture, it looks like a Dearbo transmission. It's got an oil cooler, so is it a model C?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 2:48pm
I wonder if that is aviation fuel?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Hey Marty, Check out the tach in KC's boat!

Yes! Saw that in his pics. Also same steering wheel with the infamous 'Ship's Wheel' center cap

Great Boat and Find KC !!

The BoatDr on the site is the 312 Guru!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 7:13pm
Very cool original boat. I trailered your boats big brother, a 63 Ski Nautique with the same colors back from Denver a few years ago.

Steve, Marty, or anyone else do you have any leads on a similar tach? I'd love to have one like the one in this boat.

-Phil
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 8:08pm
Phil,
I had an NOS tach, still in the box, just like the one in KC's 63. We weren't 100% sure of the year or application, now we know.

Marty is now the proud owner of it.

I would have used that tach in my 64 if I had it at the time I restored the boat. It originally had a cable drive tach, but it was long gone when I bought the boat. I had an NOS "Interceptor" tach that I ended up using. I had to cut the hole larger to fit this one.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I had an NOS "Interceptor" tach that I ended up using. I had to cut the hole larger to fit this one.

Steve, I suddenly don't feel quite so bad, I thought I was the only one that put a larger tach in! When I was 19 or 20, seeing that the tach no longer worked, I bought a generic one and hole sawed the dash to install it. I used to have the piece I sawed out, if I find it I might try to re-install the original tach.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 10:41pm
Great find!
chuckactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chuckactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:00pm
I think Gary S is correct. 100 octane av-gas is green. A local boater here in Colorado says he fills his boat with Av-gas as part of the winterization process. I guess because it's ethanol free. Since the boat is from the area, my guess is whoever had it did the same.

Chuck
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:31pm
100 LL (low lead) av-gas is actually light blue. 100 Av gas is green. 100 LL has a lead content of up to .56 grams/litre. 100 has lead content of 1.12 grams/litre.

That 312 was designed to run on leaded gas, so maybe that is why the previous owner was running it. It's a good idea, but at $5-$6.00 per gallon, VERY expensive...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Also same steering wheel with the infamous 'Ship's Wheel' center cap

I am going to end up buying a damn boat to get one of those center caps...
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 1:43am
Wow, thanks for the wealth of knowledge in the reply's. I'll try that process with this windshield for sure.
Great lead on the temp gauge. Yes it is a Dearbo Model C

It seems like there should be a detent at neutral on the shifter. But it does not have one.
I have read the adjustment procedure in the Interceptor Manual, I wonder if that would help "define" the neutral?
Interesting about the fuel as well. I'm wondering what all was done with the long block work. It was winterized properly near as I can tell.
It's great getting all the input and history from you all. Thank you.
Here's the stamp on the trailer as well

Any ideas what would have been mounted on the stern here

More pics
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 12:53pm
If i were a guessing man i'd say fake air intake scoops were mounted on the stern.

Does the boat have a blower? How did this thing get fresh air?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

If i were a guessing man i'd say fake air intake scoops were mounted on the stern.

Does the boat have a blower? How did this thing get fresh air?

Foot print is too small for fake air intake scoops, I am guessing it was more likely a ladder. The foot print more closely matches a ladder. It likely would have been "borrowed" from a newer model.

No blowers in those early 60's boat. Operating procedure was to "air out" the bilge by opening the dog house. Plenty of air circulates up under the front deck, down under the floor and up to the carbs in the dog house to run the engine.

Dad installed front and rear after market scoops early to improve ventilation, but NO electric blowers...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2013 at 1:18pm
Try disconnecting the cable from the transmission. We have 2 Dearbo C's and there is no detent like a Velvet Drive, but you can clearly feel it shifting in and out of neutral.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2013 at 7:57am
Like the red and white combination, going to be nice.
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2013 at 11:50am
I removed the front section of floor the other day. I found an old compass and a plastic bag (treasure?) embedded in 50 years of muck.

Now I have a spare key!

I've been researching all I can about the Interceptor. CCF has the vast majority of info it appears. I can't believe there isn't more resources on the web! Parts are a big problem! For instance, a water pump rebuild kit. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?
I also started cutting away the delaminated fiberglass on the outer stringers since it's a perfect pocket for holding water.

So far the wood looks great. But again I'm not finding much in the proper way to prep and repair. Whats the best way to clean the old fiberglass?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic