NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a new truck

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 3:24pm
MMMM blower. Reid, I would love to have a 500-600 hp truck but I also enjoy getting 20+ basically anything highway and running terrible pump 87. Maybe someday when the truck is paid for I can freshen up the Hemi and throw a huffer on it.

The 15 srt-8 cars will all be blown at 570 hp numbers. Maybe 14 I forget but they would have been advertising it by now if that was the case.

Dad had a good old V10 2500 Ram for a while. Pull a house and pull the gas station along with it haha.

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Reid my v 10 excursion is at 180k and if i keep changing my oil between 10 and 12k miles as i have since new i'm thinking i can get 300k out of it

I'm with you there Peter, as me saying "I'm getting closer", actually means sometime in the next 5 years, as witnessed and recalled by some here familiar with my 98 Explorer which I "gave" away to Jerry's son (many here know Jerry) 18 months ago with 391,000 on the dial. He's getting very close to 400,000 I hear. I've been putting synthetic in my V-10 for the last 140,000 miles (I bought it at 50K miles) and am convinced it helps me get 13.8 highway mpg vs something like 13.8002.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2013 at 8:11pm
I always have a 1,000 lbs of tools in it , other than front bearing assemblies and rear calipers its been almost enough to move me over to ford. by the way I just bought an 09 GMC 2500 extenda cab with the 6.0 I think i m in love
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 1:26am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

P71, are you and zach related? Red ram trucks, gray 2001's and a passion for inflatable water sports- you must be long lost brothers!

Haha, not that I know of, but maybe!

Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

P71, did you drive the Ecoboost? Your "Hemi" doesn't hold a candle to it power-wise and that "little V6" will make your truck turn its tailpipe under and slink home embarrassed.   I drove them both. The Hemi is an absolute dog compared to the Ecoboost. And I'm an unbiased opinion, I bought the 5.0L motor.

Ha! Yeah, no. The Egoboost is all marketing. It's really not that special. A high-strung, complicated, expensive V6 that gets no better mileage than a V8.

And what were the rear gears on the Egoboost and the Ram you tested? That makes more of a difference than anything. I had a Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears and my buddy has a GMC Sierra with the 5.3 and 3.73s. You would never believe they are the same engine.

My truck moves. If it's a dog, it's a greyhound.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 10:59am
my new 6.0 has 410s feels like a stump puller in the low gears
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 12:39pm
Zach made a good statement earlier in this thread pondering when/if the marine engine companies would start using some of the later high-performance auto engines for marine applications. Oh I believe he was referring mostly to the Hemi and 5.0 engines, the 6.0 GM engine has been doing just that for sometime now, in the great 409 and 450 hp engines. And the 6.2 supercharged is outta this world.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

The Egoboost is all marketing. It's really not that special. A high-strung, complicated, expensive V6 that gets no better mileage than a 350 cubic inch V8.

A poster on the PN thread made a very good point in that you don't or shouldn't compare the Ecoboost to a 5.3 or older 350 GM in terms of fuel mileage as the EB is way more powerful and should burn more fuel.   It should instead be compared to a 6.0 or 6.2 GM or 5.7 Toyota. Now how do those compare?   And "high-strung" in terms of engines normally refers to high revving tendencies or requirements in order to make power. New Boss 302 Mustang, 444 hp/7500 rpm. That's what I'd call high-strung. All of the V8s mentioned in this thread, including the 5.0 and Hemi, require significantly more rpm to approach the power delivered by the EB. Not trying to start an argument but them's are facts and easily obtainable.   I'm certainly not in the market for one, and while I agree that it's really nothing special, esp in terms of mpg's, once you've ACTUALLY ridden in one, hammered down with a load behind it, blindfolded (in the passenger's seat) so all brand bias is set aside, you''re gonna most certainly say Holy Sh&T! Unless you already own a diesel.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 2:34pm
Ok guys..... My turn: Thread-jack but not really.....

After an awesome 1900 mile trip to the Adirondacks pulling the Barefoot and camping..... Val and I are looking at looking at trading in the ol' 78 Ford Camper Special and the AWD Astro Van for a truck that will tow the Barefoot and carry a slide in camper.

Looking at the big 3, they all look about the same as far as numbers....

So looking for recomendations on a truck to carry 22-2500 and tow 4500. Need a crew cab.... but like the Chevy crews because the rear seat bottom flips up and out of the way for old dogs to lay on the floor and old owners not to lift onto the seats......

So anything I should look for or stay away from? The trim levels of the Fords are too numerous to keep straight and the Rams are even worse....

What set-up - Engine? Gearing? 3/4 vs 1 ton? ride vs fuel use?

The Astro (Vortec 4.3) worked pretty darn hard up the Va/WestVa and Adirondack hills.... but we averaged 13.6 mpg over the 1900 miles.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 3:25pm
I cant imagine anything but a crew cab dually g.m duramax /allison but have to say the ford is possibly a better looking truck. they all weird from behind Imo
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 4:52pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

P71, are you and zach related? Red ram trucks, gray 2001's and a passion for inflatable water sports- you must be long lost brothers!

Haha, not that I know of, but maybe!

P71, did you drive the Ecoboost? Your "Hemi" doesn't hold a candle to it power-wise and that "little V6" will make your truck turn its tailpipe under and slink home embarrassed.   I drove them both. The Hemi is an absolute dog compared to the Ecoboost. And I'm an unbiased opinion, I bought the 5.0L motor.

Ha! Yeah, no. The Egoboost is all marketing. It's really not that special. A high-strung, complicated, expensive V6 that gets no better mileage than a 350 cubic inch V8.

And what were the rear gears on the Egoboost and the Ram you tested? That makes more of a difference than anything. I had a Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.42 gears and my buddy has a GMC Sierra with the 5.3 and 3.73s. You would never believe they are the same engine.

My truck moves. If it's a dog, it's a greyhound.

They were geared similarly. Somewhere around 3.55's. If it's all marketing, line your bad boy truck up against one and see what happens. You obviously haven't done your research.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I cant imagine anything but a crew cab dually g.m duramax /allison but have to say the ford is possibly a better looking truck. they all weird from behind Imo

Dually? Is that really needed... hard ride, significant extra cost of a 1 ton AND limited lower axle ratios... not to mention tire costs.

Was hoping someone was using a 3/4 ton for similar......
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 6:08pm
probably not needed for a 2200 lb slide in
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 7:30pm

If it's all marketing, line your bad boy truck up against one and see what happens. You obviously haven't done your research.

I know it does not matter to you Brett but after 10 years,some of us keep our vehicles awhile how's it going to hold up then? Ford in my book is getting to the point that they don't support their products. The software and some hard parts used to get these things to where they are today, when they go what do you do, junk it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I know it does not matter to you Brett but after 10 years,some of us keep our vehicles awhile how's it going to hold up then?

Yup, I'm still driving my 95 diesel Suburban!! It is getting to the point where is is costing me $$ to keep it on the road but, I don't want to spend 60K to get a new truck!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If it's all marketing, line your bad boy truck up against one and see what happens. You obviously haven't done your research.

I know it does not matter to you Brett but after 10 years,some of us keep our vehicles awhile how's it going to hold up then? Ford in my book is getting to the point that they don't support their products. The software and some hard parts used to get these things to where they are today, when they go what do you do, junk it?

Gary, do really think that'll be an issue, replacing a turbo, that is? There are waaaaay more turbos and superchargers showing up on new vehicles of all makes, than ever before. One positive in regards to that is the car companies don't make those parts as they source them out to common vendors, many of whom have been around for eons, such as Garrett and Eaton. As evidenced by GM coming out with their own twin turbo V6 for 2014, I feel they're here for the long haul. I recall people having the same feelings about fuel injection years ago. Forget that, you and I still do.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

The Egoboost is all marketing. It's really not that special. A high-strung, complicated, expensive V6 that gets no better mileage than a 350 cubic inch V8.

A poster on the PN thread made a very good point in that you don't or shouldn't compare the Ecoboost to a 5.3 or older 350 GM in terms of fuel mileage as the EB is way more powerful and should burn more fuel.   It should instead be compared to a 6.0 or 6.2 GM or 5.7 Toyota. Now how do those compare?   And "high-strung" in terms of engines normally refers to high revving tendencies or requirements in order to make power. New Boss 302 Mustang, 444 hp/7500 rpm. That's what I'd call high-strung. All of the V8s mentioned in this thread, including the 5.0 and Hemi, require significantly more rpm to approach the power delivered by the EB. Not trying to start an argument but them's are facts and easily obtainable.   I'm certainly not in the market for one, and while I agree that it's really nothing special, esp in terms of mpg's, once you've ACTUALLY ridden in one, hammered down with a load behind it, blindfolded (in the passenger's seat) so all brand bias is set aside, you''re gonna most certainly say Holy Sh&T! Unless you already own a diesel.

I'm not sure how that "350 cubic inch V8" statement got into my post, I never typed it.

As for the 3.5 Egoboost being compared to the 6.0/6.2, all I have to say is that Ford does NOT do that, they compare it to the 5.3. Ford doesn't compare it to the 6.2 because they have their own 6.2 to compare to GMs 6.2.

And I have driven a Egoboost powered vehicle, it's not that impressive, certainly no more impressive than the V8 in my Ram.    
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 9:45pm

You obviously haven't done your research.

I have indeed done my research.....which is why I stayed far, far away from that bucket of problems when I was looking to replace my Silverado.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 12:32am
No it's not the hardware ie turbo's etc Reid. It's the the stuff that makes them work. Dads Lincoln is a good example. 11 years old approx 65K the electronic dash starts going out. First it was things that were nice to have but didn't affect the driving,odometer,compass,trunk open,door a jar etc. He took it into the dealer,sorry cannot repair can't get parts. About 4 months later on my way home from Florida everything left goes out, speedo,gas gauge,temp, kind of important stuff. Now I'm worried that if I shut it off I won't get it going again because the alarm is part of that dash unit too. Got to where I was going,turned out that was no problem. But because of that you can't go to a junk yard and get another,that info and the mileage are stored in that unit. So Ford had no way to support their product, what are you supposed to do junk it? They did not even offer to look thru their parts system for the part, thru the internet I found a new one at a dealer in Michigan. In the end I was finally able to find someone who could repair the original and then needed no reprograming. Same thing is going to happen when PCM runs out of Ford ecu's. I understand thats just the way it's going to be,doesn't mean I have to like it.
All these ways of making more power is not consumer driven but in fact government regulations. All the manufacturers have to get their corporate combined fuel mileage up and they are turning to European methods of taking little engines and artificially boosting them because of their experence with government regulations. I'm also curious if these ecoboost engines have to use premium fuel,in our area it's 40 cents more a gallon. Our Volvo needs it and if you don't use it you can feel the difference.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 9:26am
Gary, it seems like you had an experience with a $h!tty dealer and it skewed your opinion of Ford/Lincoln in general which shouldn't necessarily be the case. GM is doing the same exact things. You wouldn't expect to walk into a dealer and get parts for a '67 C10 truck would you? The Apex motor in my '02 SN is full of electronics, probably just as many as your dad's Lincoln. Times they are a changin'. We don't have to like it, but we do have to accept it because it's real and there's nothing we can do about it.

P71, there's no denying that motor makes gobs of power, more than the Hemi when they are geared apples for apples in stock form. And put a tune in each of them and its all over. That Ecoboost is actually very detuned from the factory. Plenty of documentation out there already how much that motor can really do when its woken up a bit.
I didn't buy it because there wasn't enough info out there about people getting them wet and full of mud. I know the turbos are mounted up high but the intercoolers are lower. I had 250 miles on my truck and had water up to the doors yesterday heading out to my hunt lease. It's wet down here this time of year!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 10:08am
Actually he's a very good one Bret. Don't know if it may have been a bad service writer. I have had great experiences there and I had bought my cars at other dealers. Dad bought and serviced all his Lincoln's there! They were right next door to where I worked for 33 years and have now bought the location I was at to expand the dealership. I just feel that this is the start of what the Japanese have successfully pioneered,treating a vehicle as an appliance,use it, throw it away
Don't forget that in case of a 67 Chevy truck,they were making changes and updating every year. The Lincoln didn't change from 00 til the end of production in '11 because for many of their buyers it was their last car repeat business was just not part of the big plan
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 1:35pm
GM only did minor changes on those trucks. 67-72, only 6 year run and it got a front clip change in '69. '73-87 was their longest run of 1/2 ton trucks which was pretty impressive, that was a great body style and they sold a ton.

Gary, I don't know if I'd consider them throw-away cars at all. They definitely are harder for the DIY to work on though, but a comparison of the miles put on vehicles now versus just 20 years ago there is no denying that cars are lasting a lot longer before they get junked. Yes, with all the electronics there is more that could potentially go wrong, but percentage wise I think the failure rate has definitely gone down a big amount. I put 104k on my Tundra and it never went into the shop a single time. That's saying a lot about build quality. Granted I am only one consumer but I'd say the technological advances over the years have been very good.
   Another good example is that hideous looking Toyota Prius. Many people thought they would be a maintenance nightmare, replacement batteries would be outrageous, etc etc. Now personally i hate the car but everyone's original thoughts and concerns were way off base. The batteries are going hundreds of thousands of miles.

Plus, w/o technology, we wouldn't be on CCF having a friendly debate!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 12:25am
Well, I got my new truck sitting just the way I wanted. Still rides great, looks a little tougher, and she's all ready for hunting season! Still haven't hit 1,000 miles yet but I've been really happy with it so far. Will get another solid off road test this weekend at the hunt lease.

'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:21am
Bret, Those tires look awesome. I think the tires the factory installs are pretty weenie looking for a 4x4 truck. They fill out the wheel wells nicely.

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:25am
Zach, they are Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. Awesome tires. I had a set on my Tundra and loved them. These are a 295/70/18 which is about a 34"x11.50" tire. Not too loud on the street but a very aggressive tread pattern and great off road.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:38am
Nice, my truck is 2wd so I wouldn't go for that look but the only thing that concerns me with bigger tires is mpg. I tried to stick with as close to factory spec but better on mine. (and I couldn't afford much more). The factory good year hp tires on my truck were garbage. By the time they hit 50k they all had broken belts and made the truck shake like a wet dog. I was bound and determined to get 50k out of them so I rode it out till the bitter end. Replaced with the new goodyear they use on the current 13 trucks. Supposedly better tread wear and the lugs look better for snow operating. The side walls are a little more mushy which you can feel at highway speeds but nothing scary.

Edit: Road noise is big to me too. I don't know how some guys take a perfectly new quiet truck and put tires on that howl at the moon.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 10:55am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Edit: Road noise is big to me too. I don't know how some guys take a perfectly new quiet truck and put tires on that howl at the moon.

I'm a redneck.

And I'll deal with the road noise because street tires out in the woods where my lease is don't cut it. It is swampy, real swampy. Getting stuck means a 10 mile walk to the nearest hard road to get help. AAA doesn't come!
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 1:52pm
Hahah, Knew there was something off about you Brett ;). You said they weren't that loud though?!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 2:27pm
They aren't that loud. Louder than stock tires obviously but for a mud tire they are very quiet. I had the same ones on my Tundra but taller and 2" wider and those definitely hummed.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 2:37pm
That new rubber sure makes your tailpipe look short and skinny there Bret, uhh, I mean Bert
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 5:41pm
That's ok CQ, I'm sure you can still get your pretty lips around it.
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic