NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bracket, ALT Broke!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bracket, ALT Broke!
    Posted: May-11-2013 at 6:54pm
Was changing out my belts and notice the alternator bracket was broken! Where do you find one of these? Have one local marina looking. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Kostas N
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 7:15pm
If you don't find one, I'd braze the crack on the old one. The alternate would be to machine the old arm off and bolt a new steel arm to the body of the old.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 11:03pm
That's a common problem with that bracket, someone over tightened it. When you do find a new one use a washer to take up any extra space between the alternator and the bracket or you'll snap it again. Ask me how I know.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 11:14pm
No problem getting a new one. www.skidim.com and give 'em the P/N that's in the casting.   It's only about 20 bucks.
Art
"Art"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2013 at 11:17pm
Thanks guys! Weather is getting better and WAS trying to finally de-winterize the boat.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 4:01am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

No problem getting a new one. www.skidim.com and give 'em the P/N that's in the casting.   It's only about 20 bucks.
Art

Art, if you could tell by the pictures, is it a bracket alt. LH or RH? After looking, R090055 is a LH alt. bracket but there are other options such as R090055A (says to use R090055C), R090055B (says to use R090055) and R090055C is a RH alt. bracket. If I am facing the engine, looking at the belts, the bracket is on the right hand side. Just want to make sure I am ordering the correct bracket. Thanks!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 1:50pm
[/QUOTE]Art, if you could tell by the pictures, is it a bracket alt. LH or RH? After looking, R090055 is a LH alt. bracket but there are other options such as R090055A (says to use R090055C), R090055B (says to use R090055) and R090055C is a RH alt. bracket. [/QUOTE]

Wow, now you're teaching me something! I never realized that there was any difference between a RH and a LH alt bracket. The LH/RH has no reference to where the alternator is located, but rather the rotation of the engine. I have in my shop a 2001 LH rotation 351, and it has an 055 bracket on it, just like yours. I looked in the PCM price list, and it reads just as you quoted. What reference did you look in?

I am currently looking in my 1980's PCM parts reference manual, and now I have found out that part of the difference comes in with which alternator you have; a Prestolite or a Motorola. Here is the quote from the book:
R090055   Prestolite LH
    055A Prestolite RH
    055B Motorola LH
    055C Motorola RH

Looking at some of the other parts, it reveals that the difference is in the mounting bolt sizes for the long alternator mounting bolt. Prestolite uses a 7/16" bolt, while the Motorola uses a 3/8". Since you have the 055, that tells me that you have a Prestolite alt, but that still doesn't sort out the LH/RH question. Check the hole size in your alt, in case some PO has switched it out without changing the bracket.   

My advice now is to call SkiDim (Discount Inboard Marine) at 803-345-0996. Richard will probably answer the phone, and he is extermely knowlegeable about the parts, so consult with either him or Vince if he happens to answer.

Something is wierd here, because you have a RH engine (I assume) and I have a LH with the same brackets on them. SkiDim will sort it out for us. They will probably be very busy on Monday morning, so if you get put off, give them a chance! Please let me know what you find out.    
Art
"Art"
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2013 at 5:14pm
I have a used one in the back if you are interested. Seen those break before, mostly from over torque of the pivot bolt.
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 1:33am
Hey Art, that's what's great about this site, always will learn something new!

My reference was from Pleasurecraft Engine Group Retail Price List 02/01/13 Engine Parts, pic below.

I was able to confirm that I do have a Leece Neville, manufactured by Prestolight, model #8RG2062. Now I took a wrench to the bolts and the ones that mount to the engine block is 1/2". The one that mounts to the bracket arm to allow the alternator to pivot is 9/16".

Now, I did send SkiDim an email with all the pictures I posted here and they should get back to me, but of course I will follow through tomorrow morning. Once I hear back, I will let you know what they say. Thanks for your input and findings as well!

---------------------------

Jody, will let you know about the used one you have. I personally would like to buy a new one but if that fails, I will be contacting you. Thanks for letting me know you do have one available! Have a good one.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 9:54am
I think you are quoting bolt head sizes, which is not the reference used in sizing bolts. The sizing system refers to the major diameter of the thread. A 1/2" head usually corresponds to a 5/16" bolt and a 9/16" head corresponds to a 3/8" bolt.

I am now recalling that I have seen alternators with bushings in the pivot bolt holes, so it could be that instead of using the 7/16" bolts, PCM installs bushings in the alternator holes instead. That would eliminate their PCM's need to make two different brackets. Does your alternator have bushings in the holes that the alternator pivots on?

Since the Prestolite alt has 7/16" holes, it would make sense to use bushings in the holes and that would enable them to use brackets with 3/8" holes no matter which brand of alternator they were using.
"Art"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 2:06pm
Hi Art, you are correct, I was referring to the bolt head size and I do not have any bushings on the alt.

I did speak with Richard from skidims and they do have the part He did mention the difference of RH vs LH alt brackets. Typically CC uses RH brackets but the LH could be retrofitted. There is a bump on the LH brackets, did not say where, that could be grind off in order to make it work for a RH application. He also said that next to the p/n it will have a "C" which mine does right below the p/n "CR1" (I overlooked it and had to trace it out for clarification) which would indicate RH bracket. So if it only had the p/n R090055, it would be a LH bracket.

Fun stuff! Thanks for your help!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 3:33pm
Glad to hear that the mystery is solved. When I looked at the bracket on the LH that I have, I did notice some marks below the p/n but the paint was thick and the light was poor, so I didn't pursue it any farther. When you get the replacement, just check to make sure the holes in it and in the alternator are the correct size for the bolt that you have. And, as Jody mentioned, if the boss on the alternator doesn't completely fill the space allowed between the ears of the bracket, put a washer in there to fill the space and don't torque it down too tight. It should have a nylock nut on it, so it won't shake loose. You should be able to pivot the alternator to adjust the belt tension without loosening the nut on the pivot bolt.   Cast iron doesn't bend well!
Art
"Art"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 2:14am
Hey Art, wanted to give you guys an update, received the part today from skidim and it fit like a glove Below is a side by side of the parts.

After that was fixed, I notice my fuel gauge was not responding, after looking into it, will be needing a new fuel tank sender

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 6:12am
Kostas,
Just to be on the safe side, check your sheave alignment with the new alternator bracket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 1:00am
Thanks Pete! Took your advise before starting the boat for the first time this season. Turned over on the second try!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic