NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pre-90’s or Post 90’s Exhaust?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-90’s or Post 90’s Exhaust?
    Posted: January-31-2006 at 11:37am
I'm interested to see peoples feedback on exhaust preference. Do you like the pre-90's exhaust roar or the quiet, single exhaust with excellent mufflers? There's something classic about the tone and volume of pre-90's Nautique whether it's idling or winding up to speed. You've got to love it when heads turn at the boat ramp when you start up the dual exhaust Nautique, versus a high-pitch outboard or "bubbly" sounding I/O. I get chills eveytime I hear my '86 start up.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:08pm
I know this is the minority preference, but I like the sound (or lack thereof) of my '93 over the sound (lots of it) of my '77.

With the passing of each year, I appreciate the quiet things in life more and more. I also like being able to talk to the passengers in the boat a bit easier.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:11pm
I love the sound qualit of the exhaust in my '79SN. It's hard to beat that American V8 rumble. It is however a bit loud when underway. It makes it hard for passengers to hear each other.

On the otherhand my '02 Ski 196 with single exhaust sounds like an electric blender. It has almost no rumble.

Ideally what I would like is a true dual exhaust setup like my '79 has but with slightly quieter mufflers.

On another note I think I'm going to try to better insulate my motorbox and seal it a little better against the floor to try and reduce the engine noise the passengers have to listen to. We'll see how it goes.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:13pm
I prefer the duals too. I don't like hearing the transmission in the single exhaust.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:23pm
Yes, you both have a point...the engine/tranny noise dominates with the quieter exhaust. I too have toyed with the idea of sound insulating the motor box.

All I want to hear is the water slapping against the hull (from the outside).

I wonder how much a 300HP electic motor plus batteries for a 6 hour run time would weigh and consume in space?
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:35pm
For cruising purposes around the lake with family and friends, I would choose a single exhaust with quality mufflers. When skiing or tooling around with your buddies, has to rumble. Got to love the American V8!

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

For cruising purposes around the lake with family and friends, I would choose a single exhaust with quality mufflers. When skiing or tooling around with your buddies, has to rumble. Got to love the American V8!

You hit the nail on the head, I guess I need more ski buddies....
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 1:22pm
Anyone have the history on when and what kind of mufflers were applied to the dual exhaust Correct Crafts. I have what I believe are (2)-2.5 inch straight copper pipes in my 67 with about 6 inches of reinforced rubber hose between them and the exhaust logs, anyone know if this was the factory setup or am I missing some sort of mufflers?
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 2:09pm
To me it's an era thing. Classic boats should have that classic sound. Loud modern boats are just that - Loud. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 3:19pm
I'm concidering removing my mufflers.

Besides what else would be worth listening to than the sound of that big old V8 roooaaarriiinnnggg while your cruise'n

I actually had my friends tell me to turn off the radio so they could hear the exhaust one day, they were all smiles when it hit 5k on the tach.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 4:02pm
Wait til jbear wakes up from his nap, I'm sure he'll have something to say about this.

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 5:45pm
My neighbor has a nice quite boat. Good neighbor.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 8:54pm
Guys: I bought the "80 off this site because Dixeelegger advertised it as "no mufflers but avalible if you want them". Those mufflers are still sleeping in my attic. I do have a radio in the boat (surprise) but never play it. Talking is for when you are floating enjoying a cold one. Besides, it is to hard to talk with that big sh_t-eating grin you get when you push the throttle down. And I love it when every head on the ramp turns when Mrs. jbear fires her up. When I went to test the boat, I told Dixeelegger it was sold as soon as he started her up. But I had him put it in the water just to humor Mrs. jbear. She wondered later why I bothered to put it in the water. She knew by the sound that I was gonna buy. I had 3 quiet boats in a row before the '80. Sorry this is so long. Wanted to make it worth waking up from my nap.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 5:55am
Jbear, I bet after you saw that boat for the first time turning the key just sealed the deal. No way you could walk away from that one.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 8:50am
Alan: Like I said in my post, it was sold the moment the PO started it on the ramp. We just put it in the water to humor Mrs. jbear. I knew I wanted it right away when I saw it in the For Sale section. It is an exact twin for the 81 I wrecked the weekend before Mrs. jbear graduated from college. Almost threw her out of the boat and hurt her foot bad. Had to go accross the stage on a crutch and a dress shoe. But she never got mad. She is awesome. Ya know how these old boats will spin out at high speed if you get the rear end loose in a wake or some rollers? Well thats what happened. Scared me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic