NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get these off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 6:46pm
take the heads of the bolts off pry the manifolds off, weld nuts on where you can hit the studs with a hammer, i have to say i have been using a new product i always used pb blaster but now i heat the studs , and when cool i have been using crc freeze off , whatever it is it acts like freon and penetrating oil all at once
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 3:29pm
Good info gents. I'm going by the boat one more time today on my way to work and ill hit it with the ATF mix.

I've been warned my several people already not to attempt an easy out due to bolt hardness. Ill see if I can get my welding dude to tack a nut on.

Next weekend will be d-day for this project.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 2:32pm

Hit the bolts fairly hard with a ball peen hammer.
The scale rust will jump off and help loosen the bolts.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 2:21pm
I just cut off 4 of those, cut off wheel on a die grinder and some paitence is all it takes. If you don't want the manifolds it a little easier, it's hard not to saw into them a little. I also broke the spark plugs off on purpose to keep the motor sealed while I worked, pipe plugs would work for that too.   I didn't remove the bolts from the heads, but I got a ground off head bolt out of the block and anothe out of the exhaust manifold. I used acetone and ATF on both and let them sit for at least a day. They hardly put up a fight when I got around to taking them out. If you have a welder you can tack a nut on them to make it even easier.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Resist all urges to use an easy out. If you have a mig welder weld a nut on to what you have first and see if you can get them out.The heat from welding will help break the rust.If that don't work grind the head off remove the manifold and then weld a nut on. Replace with stainless and use anti seize. Some may come out with a vice grip but be careful not to mess them up so much that you cannot weld a nut on.

I agree, but I wouldn't be afraid of cutting them off with the cut off in a Dremel. You will them get a better shot at getting the penetrating where it should go. The problem with a "easy out", is the soc. hd. cap screws are grade 9 and very hard. They are tough to drill even with carbide bits and an easy out won't grab.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 2:08pm
Resist all urges to use an easy out. If you have a mig welder weld a nut on to what you have first and see if you can get them out.The heat from welding will help break the rust.If that don't work grind the head off remove the manifold and then weld a nut on. Replace with stainless and use anti seize. Some may come out with a vice grip but be careful not to mess them up so much that you cannot weld a nut on.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 2:08pm
A cut off wheel will work.
Cut the head off or cut an "X" in the
head down to the shank. and use a chisel.

Soak them in penatrating oil the best is
1/2 Trans fluid and 1/2 acetone, easy to make yourself.

And keep soaking them.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 1:57pm
How's about chopping the head off with a small cutting blade on a dremmel then using vice grips to get it out?
Failing that, welding a hex bit to the bolt?
Or using a small Irwin easy-out?
'82 Ski Tique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 1:34pm
What do I do if the worst case scenario happens and the bolt dreaks off in the head?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2013 at 1:28pm
Well, its manifold time and I have a HUGE concern. My port side manifold is sooooo corroded that there is nothing left of the bolt heads.

I'm planning on grinding the heads off, pulling the manifold off, and then seeing if there is enough left of the bolt to get a vice grip on to slowly back it out.

If the shaft of the bolt breaks I think I'm screwed. I've been hitting them with penetrating oil for about a week now and someone suggested heating the area around the bolt with a torch, but that doesn't seem like it would be good for the head.

I'm all ears to suggestions on all or part of this job.

Chris

1999 Ski Nautique 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic