NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need new heads for 351W

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 6:32am
Joe do you have the PCM pyramid style manifolds or commander style logs? Because if you have the log style then I would think that you wouldn't have and issue at all and could use any cover available. With the center riser style you can't get the valve covers to tall or the hit, which I think is what you have. You could measure your existing set-up and see how tall of a valve cover you could use then check and see if they would clear the rockers. I think Awhite70 has rollers on his.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 6:34am
JoeinNY, are your new gt40-P's machined for rocker studs (adjustable) or are they still set up for the pedestal mount rockers (non-adjustable)?

When I rebuilt my engine I had the heads cut for bigger valves, ported and installed new springs and retainers, but I did not have them machined for rocker studs. I still chose to use roller rockers but for pedestal mounts the selection is pretty slim. I chose Ford Racing Performance Parts and I am using the following Ford Racing Valve Covers. These valve covers say they don't work with roller rockers but mine fit fine. I think, but I'm not positive that standard valve covers will work with pedestal mount rockers but not stud mount rockers.

Now for some advice. Since your heads have been machined and you're putting them on an old engine if they haven't been already I would have them machined for rocker studs so you have adjustable valvetrain. With a modified engine it is very difficult to get the proper geometry and lifter preload with non-adjustable rockers. I ended up having to measure the needed pushrod length individually and then shim a few pedestals to get all of the rockers in an acceptable window for pushrod length. I then had to order custom length pushrods. I'm only talking a few thousandths of an inch but in valvetrain it makes a difference. If I would have had adjustable rockers I wouldn't have had to go through any of that trouble. Either way a pushrod length checker is a cheap and necessary tool.

Sorry for the long post
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 7:11am
      I am running the original aluminum interceptor logs and I have one extra as a backup so I hope to be runnign them for a while, I haven't looked at them in a while but they appear to be fairly snug (maybe a half inch?) to my valve covers? I will get in the garage and start taking pictures this weekend.
Awhite70,
    The heads are currently set up for pedestal mount, but still at the machine shop I am buying them from I will discuss with them
the cost to machine them to adjustable. I am getting pretty excited about this project as last year when I built the motor the only thing that was not upgraded from stock was the heads, in the interest of time and money I just rebuilt the originals. I did spring for new hardened pushrods at the time so it would be nice to not have to replace them again. I figure I should go for the rollers this time out or I will probably be opening this thing up again next winter to do it, besides it will be easier this year as the engine is back on a stand while I replace the stringers. Thanks for the info.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 11:28am
A lot of topics on GT40 heads P or no P.
Not only here but also other forums.
Which will fit on what.
On early type CC
and on type 2001 CC before 1990
and on after 1990 type CCSN 196.
Above mentioned have different styled exhaust manifolds as far I have read and seen pictured.
The story is plugs will hit the manifold, is it just a story or will it hit.

I have a 1991 CCSN 196 with a 351W as time comes upgrade should be nice. Cannot afford to buy those that will not fit.

Should be nice to figure it out and put it in the review section as official.
jos
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 2:00pm
Jos,
    I have it on good authority (JimInHouston), that on the interceptor logs the gt40p head spark plug location will not interfere. I actually believe it will be better then the heads i have now where the spark plug is angled more and comes very close to the exhaust manifold (I break at least one plug every time I remove them). As for the later manifolds perhaps others can help.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 10:51pm
Keep in mind that my Interceptor, with GT40P heads, is a 1968 vintage 289. I do not know if the 351 manifolds will interfer with the GT40P heads.

Joe, imho, roller rockers are really only usefull when extreme high RPMs require very high valve spring pressures to keep the lifters from floating. High spring pressures will wipe the cam lobe hence the need of roller rockers. I doubt that your RPMs in boat will ever get much over 5K so standard valve springs should be adaquate and therefore no need for roller rockers. Spend your money in another direction (imho).

Am I having a deja vue here?

BTW, I finally pulled my boat out of the water just long enough to install my new ACME 540. Interesting results. I start a new thread.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 11:44pm
I alsways thought the main purpose of roller cams and rockets where less drag/friction less power lose, same reason to use under drive pulleys. I could see an advantage in high rpm applications as you discribe but I would think that you would gain some on the bottom end as well, and thru the whole rpm range. I would also think that due to the prophile of the lobe of the cam riding against the flat surface of a hyd or solid lifter vs a cylindrical prophile of a roller lifter that the roller would yield a smoother prophile of the valve opening and closing and actually yield more duration (slightly) with the same lift. It's a geometery issue with two cyclinders the normals(tangents) of each are always going to be equall or pass through each others arc centers, with a solid or flat bottom lifter the normal of the lift will only pass thru the arc center of the lobe at one spot, the max lift of the cam lobe.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2006 at 7:22am
They claim better horsepower due to lower friction and all that, maybe. They claim to be easier on the valves, push rods, and cam lobes, probably. They are more stable at high rpms which I plan to never reach (unless you get really heavy roller rockers then combined with heavy valves your your going to actually increase the chance of valve float). All I know is I like the concept, there seems something archaic about rocker arms that have to wobble back and forth billions of times (alright I did the math it was like only like 3 million wobbles last summer) having nothing but a ball and cup joint (albiet a well lubricated one) to work with. I am a big fan of bearings, I like the concept I am going to give them a try, even though it is possibly a case of more money than brains. Oh and I found a set of slightly used (owner had them on long enough to dyno them and a set of 1.7s and decided to keep the 1.7s) scorpion adjustable pedestal mount roller rockers that my machine shop is selling me for 80 dollars which is just plain cheap. Nice to be doing this in the off season this time so I can hunt for deals and not pay overnight shipping charges on everything.
Btw, these are the heads that I went with Tristate Cylinder heads. They also were recommended by my local machine shop, I will let you know when the heads arrive how they look.
    Jim, I am very interested on your new prop results can't wait to read them...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 3:23am
I am a firm believer that is you want to do something, do and have fun. I spent a few dollars on a chrome distributor. (I just know that was good for 5 HP.) Judge not be ye judged, right? Let us know how the roller lifters work out. I may go for a set also.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 4:31am
Joe...great heads...big valves...notice they almost touch.

I've been on the Dyno (very expensive exercise but a great learning experience) and the roller rockers with the bearings add HP/Torque from top to bottom....not 25 HP as advertised but close enough. I bought mine from Ford Racing. JIH is right, if it makes it more fun then buy them!

I have Edelbrock tall valve covers with Holman Moody exhaust. Fits good. If JIH got 5 HP from a chrome distributor there's no telling how much HP I got from those shiny valve covers.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 12:15pm
64 Skier, tell me what I am reading is true: you actually gain about 25 HP throughout the entire speed range by just adding roller lifters? A change in the cam profile must have had something to do with it. Right? Clue me in here 'cause inquiring minds need to know.

I just visited that Tri-State Cylinder Heads site. Awesome. It looks like a good deal on GT40P heads to me, complete with spark plugs!
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2006 at 11:03pm
JIH, not roller lifters/cam, but roller rockers with the pedestal bearing and roller tip in them to reduce friction while rotating. Ford Racing has roller tips with the roller bearing. Some cheaper versions have the same metal stamped pressed rocker with only a roller tip.

The HP gain was 10-15 HP in the 2000 to 4000 RPM range. Since (on the boat) I was working the heads over to larger valves and mild porting I thought it would be another good add since I had seen them work in a 351 on the Dyno. With the Roller Lifter/Cam and premium Roller Rockers I think 25 HP is a pretty accurate estimate.

We slalom ski a lot and at 3200 to 3600 RPM running down the lake for hours on end IMHO this is very hard on an engine thus the roller rockers. If you need to run greater piston to cylinder wall clearance due to heavy loads like truck engines etc then again, I was focused on the application and tried every trick in the book to make the little 289 run harder. Right after break-in we ran 4 tanks of gas per day for a week trying to make it around all 6 balls. SOme of the guy's are pretty big and that 289 never lost rpm, but she did very throaty on the Pull Outs.

I also recall you saying you lost a little compression with your new heads. If you can't run a thinner gasket to increase compression, you may get the performance back by adding roller rockers with a little more ratio/valve lift since you probably have plenty of valve clearance. Call Ford Racing and they can maybe help.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 6:03am
Interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic