NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb stuff people say about boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 2:47am
And that's also why God created Hummers, to tow your ostentatious boat with an equally ostentatious vehicle.

But gotta have faith and every now and then get a nice surprise...

One day a guy in an I/O deckboat flagged us down in the old Century just to tell us what a beauty it is and that we "have to" run it in the annual classic boat run ride for underprivileged kids.

Another time had just pulled into the Ritz-Carlton for a beer, and an uberbucks $100+K Nautique pulled into the next slip. Passengers passed us by without a glance, but owner stopped to tell it was coolest thing he'd ever seen and chatted/asked about it for another 15 minutes.

Don't get as many comments on the Southwind as it's styling is far more mundane, but every now and then get a nice comment from an old salt...

Lotsa big fishing tournaments at my marina...I can rumble back in loudly with an old V8, with 50+ bassboaters around, and not a single head will turn. Go figure.......

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 2:48am
I guess its not that dumb, but the one I get the most tired of is "what's its name? what do you mean it doesn't have a name, that's bad luck"
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:10am
I hate when people name boat that are less than 25 feet and do not have a cabin haha. To each his own.

Most any woody especially if it's an inboard is acceptable to name.

I usually get some comments on how clean my boat is during the summer months but most people around my lakes know the Ski Nautique name and the aura that follows.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:33am
The bass-boaters are a different breed. Almost like robots. Barely ever smile or wave or anything.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:35am
I agree Brian. They are probably the least courteous boaters on the water. A few tournaments are held at our lake and they block off the ramp completely from anyone else looking to put it. I usually go over there and pick up their trailers and move them into awkward positions so I can get to the ramp. I bet they like that when they get back!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 12:18pm
Some cocky sob comes to the boatyard, i'm (17) timing/tuning his pos Centurian.

"you know what you're doin??"

7am, Four footers in a 2001 idling in a channel appraching a bass boat idling opposite dir.

Us: "good morning"
him ""          nothing, no guy nod, can't turn head.

rinse and repeat for every one of them

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:45pm
"Let's take a Carnival Cruise" ?

Dumb stuff I've said:
   "Have you ever done it on a motor box?"

Dumb stuff said by Park Ranger:
   "HEY! TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON!"

Dumb stuff I said:
   "NOW?"

Brennan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brennan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:46pm
When people ask about the boat I usually tell them it is a water ski tournament tow boat for competitive water skiing in a slalom course. That usually limits the responses to "Oh, or wow". So I don't have to listen to the "my cousin or whatever has a SeaRay ski boat too" comments.

I was cleaning it out in the driveway as a guy walked on past, asks how big the engine is, and how fast it goes and what not. Then I explain to him it's all designed for pulling skiers and all about the boat. Nice old guy walking his dog. He was genuinely interested, it was pretty cool.

Have had the ole' oh, I bet that thing pulls the tubs really nice. You also get the occasional, what is the hump in the middle for?

One of our family friends just cannot grasp the concept. He always asks me why I got the new boat, the old one (Sea Ray 19') wasn't fast enough? Then I go on and on about wake and pulling and what not and he just asks about speed again. Endless loop...
1997 Ski Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:52pm
More dumb stuff I like to say:
   "Did you pump the bulb?"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:58pm
With the very small tique and a somewhat vintage hot rod looking motor,

I get the "I bet it's fast....oh is that all" on occasion. But for the most part, the two places I've had the boat (MA and NC) its pretty much an I/O crowd or a tooner crowd, and this 37 year old boat in relatively good shape doesn't phase them at all...too busy fusin' with their tubes to notice.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:59pm
Once I had the question.. "Why would you buy a boat like that"?

my response..."if I have to explain it, you'd never understand".
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:07pm
Dr reminded me of one of many 5-0 interactions, was flying around Lake George in Reid's 73 Orange Mustang with Keith, they pull us over for Loud Exhaust, officer keeps asking us to "hit the button, you know the one that makes it quite", we tried to explain there was no captains call button to no avail, in the end he let us go as we promised not to make any more noise, lol
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Dr reminded me of one of many 5-0 interactions, was flying around Lake George in Reid's 73 Orange Mustang with Keith, they pull us over for Loud Exhaust, officer keeps asking us to "hit the button, you know the one that makes it quite", we tried to explain there was no captains call button to no avail, in the end he let us go as we promised not to make any more noise, lol

I would've never known WTF he was even talking about.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:22pm
Yeah, in these boats, the only "button" that makes it quiet is the ignition switch.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:37pm

The engine quit a couple hundred yards from the ramp.
I opened the motor box and jumped in as I was side strokin'
pulling the boat by the nose ring the wildlife officer went
flying by to the ramp. When I got there he was on the trailer
wiping down his boat. Sooo I saz WTF or something like that
and he saz " I saw you and thought you were exercising "

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:38pm
Not about boats but can often be heard while in a boat, "here hold my beer and watch this".
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:08pm
For me, it's when folks who have no idea what they are doing want to tell me what to do:

"Can you fill the ballast?" from the guy who can barely wakeboard
"The skis are too big" is why I can't get up on doubles
"you're going too fast" or "too slow" or "too" whatever

Or the guy whose been up on a ski, wakeboard, surfboard three times,
and wants to talk over me, giving advice, while I'm trying to teach a newby.

"you need to drive over there"

"this wakeboard is too big" "too small" "too narrow" "too old" whatever

"I can't ski, wakeboard, whatever without gloves"

"This boat doesn't have enough power to get me up."

"I'm a club certified driver, I can drive your boat." Uhm no, you can't.

"These bindings are too tight" Nevermind that it's my ski and my foot
is three sizes bigger

"I use to drive my uncles' boat every summer. I can pull you."

"I can't drive a Nautique because they back up the wrong way"

"Why can't my dog come in your boat - he loves the water."

From kids: "why do I have to wear a life jacket." I don't blame the kid,
I blame the parent who should have set that expectation long before they
got to my boat.

"I've been skiing for years. . . Oh, do you have an easy up handle?"

Almost 50 years in boats now, I could probably come up with hundreds.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:08pm
I have heard the following :: Hey Man, I like yer Ski Nautica or this one "Bo that is one nyce Ski Nautiki" zat got a big block in er ??

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:15pm
From my brother:
"Oh, I didn't fill it, but it really shouldn't use that much gas when we're just cruising around"... for three hours.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Or the guy whose been up on a ski, wakeboard, surfboard three times,
and wants to talk over me, giving advice, while I'm trying to teach a newby.

OK BK

When was my brother-in-law in your boat!

He almost went swimming when he was with me.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:41pm
Forgot another good one. Here around lewisville we have a ton of boats we hop around on and it was my turn to pull a few months ago. Drew was on the platform with his board on and said "22.7 on the speed". Then he threw the rope out hopping in the water to ride without even thinking about what he had said and he had just pulled me right before it was his set.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:48pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 8:19pm
dang, forum search result for all posts by quinner expires
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

More dumb stuff I like to say:
   "Did you pump the bulb?"

Quinner always makes sure his bulb is pre pumped.

The only thing I've ever got the 5-0 after me on was my 96 SPI Seadoo. That thing did great wake crossings about 10 feet behind my dad's Chris Craft . Luckly dad had his talk me out of situations hat on that day. I was just being a punk ass 16 year old kid to the DNR officer. Made me mad because I know for a fact by that age I had more hours behind a boat wheel ha let alone on that lake.

^^Stupid things I've done/said^^
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:11pm
When I was maybe 16 we got stopped by the Sheriff. He told us to turn it off and we said we can't, that we'd had a problem and if we turn it off it won't start. Buuuut he insisted....so we guilted him into probably a 45 minute+ tow. When we got near the cottage we jumped up onto the engine box and put our hands behind our backs like we were handcuffed. Award-winning practical joke on the parents......
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 1:17am
Along the same lines as 74 Wind's story above. We are at a friends house on Fox Lake outside Chicago (craziest party lake this side of the Rockies). We are on the deck of the house. A Malibu pulls into the bay after a looong day of drinking. The extemely inibriated driver jumps onto the rear swim platform and starts taking a whiz into the lake.

He spots us up on the deck and starts screaming and yelling. We give him the "you go dude" high sign. He proudly (well, not that proud) continues his show and keeping us entertained. We keep watching him....as we are also watching the sheriffs patrol boat slipping up the bay just behind him while we are placing bets as to how long before the blue lights come on. He keeps tending to business. We keep egging him on.

And that's when the blue lights come on, and Mr. Crazy Dude ain't so crazy anymore! We had an absolute blast wathing the cops administer the breathalyzer, search his boat, cuff him, and tow him away. Good job men! Get that idiot off the lake.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 5:01am
Not CC related but last year I was flagged down on the chain a group of people on shore. They stopped me to see the "new racing model" PWC I was riding.

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 10:46am
Not necessarily a dumb thing, but if I get an observant uninformed person, they'll ask why my boat has two speedos. I've heard the suggestion a few times too that I "need to get a stainless prop on there" as it will surely handle better. I've also had someone insinuate that my boat must not be as good at holding speed as the commenter's I/O, b/c I was constantly making speed adjustments. In his boat, the throttle is designed "stiff" enough so that he just hammers it to where it needs to be, removes his hand from the throttle and it stays put.

Agreed on all of the bass boater comments. They appear to be having zero fun on the lake. All business all the time. I don't even bother to speak any more.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 10:56am
I had a longtime friend who pestered me about driving my boat. I knew him to be a guy who had owned and been around boats a good bit. His experience was mostly fish/ski and O/B and I/O type boats. He pestered me about it to the point that I finally let him drive my boat. No one around, calm lake, I was right there, what the hell.

I get from behind the wheel and he....wait for it.....sits on the top of my driver's seat back with feet in the seat. It was awkward, but I had to correct him. When he did sit down in the seat I explained, twice, to be gentle with the throttle. It would be more responsive than anything he had driven before as would the steering. He gives me a throttle, shmottle look and proceeds to hammer down. He quickly gained respect for the throttle, steeering, handling and etc. The look of joy on his face told the story about his impression of the boat. He talked my ear off about it for the rest of the day.

Admittedly, he caught me at a weak moment and wore me down. I don't typically cave and let any non-inboard person drive, but that time turned out okay.

A little off topic I guess, apologies for the threadjack
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 11:19am
Well maybe you converted him!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic