Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28967
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 1:30pm

Topic: Dumb stuff people say about boats
Posted By: M3Fan
Subject: Dumb stuff people say about boats
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 11:59am
Specialty boats are a lot like specialty cars, where nobody really knows much about them but still casts general knowledge and wisdom around, resulting in moronic comments. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain what a ski boat is and why it's different from a typical boat.

I thought it might be fun to get a thread going on the dumbest stuff you've heard people say regarding your inboard.

For us, the best one was when my wife was loading the boat onto the trailer at the ramp and a salty old know-it-all insisted she trim up the outdrive before I pulled the boat out of the water- multiple times. He couldn't believe there was no outdrive. Never mind the giant hump in the center of the boat.

Another classic is that of course, if I say I have a boat (never mind explaining two boats) to somebody who's not into ski boats they ALWAYS say "break out another thousand", "hole in the water you throw money into", etc. And, if they had PREVIOUSLY owned a boat (and it's always some stupid, generic I/O or outboard) they love trumpeting that "only two good days of boat ownership- day I bought it and the day I sold it". Ugh. I always try to say something like "a true inboard is pretty simple to work on and I've done all the work myself over the past 11 years of boat ownership". Sigh. I've had this conversation so many times.

What dumb boat comments have you weathered over the years?

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Replies:
Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:18pm
It used to be "you mean Chris Craft", but now it's "you mean Nautique".

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:22pm
Trim it up as we neared the sandbar, from an outboard/I/o owner.
We still tell each other all the time to trim it up.

Then of course there's the "if it's propped right it'll do XXmph", some grossly inflated number.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:31pm
My definition of "Ski Boat" seems different then most. A 19' Sea Ray I/O is not a ski boat!!

The automatic assumption if a boat has a tower it is a "Wakeboard Boat"

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Even if it says AIR on the side, has an onboard ballast tank, and said tower has racks specifically designed for holding wakeboards?

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:11pm

Oh yeah, I am now "budds" with every wakeboarder on the river, 99% don't know it's a ski boat in drag.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:22pm
"I uploaded a video of a 78 Master Craft on my channel that would eat this thing for lunch"

That was a comment on Joe's holeshot video on Youtube. Also soem references to a "speed prop". Youtube is a great place to find really dumb comments, especially on some of the barefooting videos. Maybe in my spare time I will browse for some. I've got to agree with Bruce, back in the 60s - 70s we heard that Chris Craft line about a billion times regarding our Mustang.

-------------

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:35pm
Generally I/O owners are the worst when it comes to making well informed boating comments. They are also the worst when it comes to boat ramp usage, general boat loading, and the ability to park a trailer where it is not in the way of other ramp users. They are usually floord by the fact that you can operate a boat that does not have trim in shallow water and that it only backs up in one direction. Most IO buyers only need one questionto be answered on a demo.. How fast does it go?

This will be a fun Thread haha.

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:39pm
I saw one I/O owner on our lake pull their boat without raising their outdrive... and with the motor still running. So, it could be worse.

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I saw one I/O owner on our lake pull their boat without raising their outdrive... and with the motor still running. So, it could be worse.

Similarly, I saw a guy back his I/O down the ramp. The boat tipped off the back of the trailer about 10 feet before reaching the water. He was unaware/unphased by that and kept backing, pushing the skeg of the lower unit down the ramp.

-------------

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:19pm
Starting the engine at the dock... a lot of time it turns heads. A few ask to see the engine. After lifting the engine cover a normal response seems to be "Wow, how fast does this run?" I tell them 45 - 50mph. At which time they usually say.. Ohhh, is that all?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Oletela
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:19pm
"That thing has a 350/351 in it?! And it only does 45?!"
Or a guy I work with is bound and determined to buy a new Yamaha and that it is going to be the best boat on the water with the biggest wake because its jet drive. I have tried and tried to convince him my 89' correct craft is still a way better built boat then a new Yamaha and of course he doesn't believe

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Oletela Oletela wrote:

Jake, 11:19am ... same posting time.. same experiences!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by Oletela Oletela wrote:

Jake, 11:19am ... same posting time.. same experiences!

Great minds think alike!

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:24pm
At the boat ramp, I put the Mustang in, no mufflers. Almost everytime, someone comes over, "Hey man, how fast does that boat go?" They don't understand a fixed drive shaft. You have to explain what a tow boat is built for pulling, not top end speed.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:29pm
Same story while I type on this crapy/slow computer at work.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:49pm
I love it when the tourists arrive at our ramp with their shiny big cars and new acquired big boats... Then need like half an hour with three persons to get it off the trailer...
Especially when I'm next in line and need about three minutes to get my boat in... Car and trailer already parked and boat running when they come back from parking their car...

Then the question I always wait for (with a big smile on my face) when they come up to me at the ramp: "does it really go that fast?"
"Yes sir for me it does"

Another one was at the bar when a smartass guy said to me: "Yeah, Nautiques are the best waterjet propelled boats!"

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:03pm
Me....."I own a Correct Craft".
Other guy....."Oh, is that wood"?
Me......"No, its a CORRECT CRAFT, not a Chris Craft". "It's fiberglass". "You ever heard of Ski Nautiques"?
Other guy....."Oh yeah"! Do those have the stars on the sides?

Posted By: *mtrbtr*
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:33pm
I showed a picture of my boat to an old cowboy at work and he said. "how come you have a "roll bar" on your boat"?

-------------
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)

Posted By: 84SN2001
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:52pm
At the gas pump one day with my '84 2001 and I had the single fly High pole on and a lady came up to me and asked if it was a sail boat!

-------------
1999 Air Nautique W/ Python 502 "purple people eater"
1984 SN 2001 W/PCM 350

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 6:04pm
Have been asked the roll bar question also. At GL one year, was moored in town waiting on my crew adjacent to my boat, a couple people walked up discussing what the speakers on my tower were, they were arguing whether they were jet thrusters of some sort or rope retrievers.

There was a post on PN recently by an owner asking if he could remove the pole in front of the engine as he was not sure what it was for, lol.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 6:06pm
How's the fishing?

-------------

Posted By: Waternut
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 7:41pm
Yeah I get the typical "bust out another thousand", "hole in the water", and "two best days in a boat owners life" ALL THE TIME... Really drives me nuts.

On the flip side though, when joe blow decides to sell his boat that he didn't take care of and it doesn't work like it should, I was able to snag it for next to nothing and fix it up.

The best thing I ever heard from a boat owner: Friend of a friend bought a brand new Tahoe I/O a few years ago. Used it 10-15 times that summer and then parked it in his backyard in the same condition it was in when he pulled it out of the water. No plug pulled, no cover, no winterization, nothing... So when his boat was completely trashed come spring, he tried to sue Tahoe saying that their boat design was flawed because they didn't install an automatic bilge pump which in turn led to the flooding and destruction of his boats interior and engine.

-------------

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

Yeah I get the typical "bust out another thousand", "hole in the water", and "two best days in a boat owners life" ALL THE TIME... Really drives me nuts.

I HATE those comments. That means you purchased a boat and were un educated and probably had no clue what you were doing. Can't do the work yourself. Screw stuff up. Etc.. Over 7 seasons I have mayyyyybe spent 500 bucks in parts including normal maintinance pieces.

-------------

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:41pm
I have changed the cap rotor plugs and impeller once in 12 years, over 800 hours. Haven't touched either stuffing box either but I might tighten them up this year. Maybe.

-------------

Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:45pm
My wife hates it when she hears "B.O.A.T." (bust out another thou.) ... she knows another project is on its way home with me.

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: February-12-2013 at 9:31pm
"You paid how much…and it didn't come with a trollin' motor?"

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: Toeboat
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 12:16am
Barefoot...what's that next word?

-------------
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo

Posted By: 95SIG/EDT
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 1:18am
How about "yeah my (fill in the blank) has a fish and ski boat" or "Whats that thing got in it?" or while at the gas station filling up "Ya'll going fishin?" or   "Can you ski on one?" or "Can you barefoot ski?"

Posted By: TRIP
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 2:45am
Someone who came wakeboarding, afterwards asked: "why do you use this boat for wakeboarding?".
I frowned and said, not quite understanding his question "because it's mine?".
Him: "yes, but I mean, why this type of boat? Because Sea Doo's are the best wakeboard boats there are, right?".

-------------
http://www.flyzone-cr.com" rel="nofollow - FlyZone Costa Rica Wakeboarding
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8406&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1997 Super Sport

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 2:47am
And that's also why God created Hummers, to tow your ostentatious boat with an equally ostentatious vehicle.

But gotta have faith and every now and then get a nice surprise...

One day a guy in an I/O deckboat flagged us down in the old Century just to tell us what a beauty it is and that we "have to" run it in the annual classic boat run ride for underprivileged kids.

Another time had just pulled into the Ritz-Carlton for a beer, and an uberbucks $100+K Nautique pulled into the next slip. Passengers passed us by without a glance, but owner stopped to tell it was coolest thing he'd ever seen and chatted/asked about it for another 15 minutes.

Don't get as many comments on the Southwind as it's styling is far more mundane, but every now and then get a nice comment from an old salt...

Lotsa big fishing tournaments at my marina...I can rumble back in loudly with an old V8, with 50+ bassboaters around, and not a single head will turn. Go figure.......

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 2:48am
I guess its not that dumb, but the one I get the most tired of is "what's its name? what do you mean it doesn't have a name, that's bad luck"

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:10am
I hate when people name boat that are less than 25 feet and do not have a cabin haha. To each his own.

Most any woody especially if it's an inboard is acceptable to name.

I usually get some comments on how clean my boat is during the summer months but most people around my lakes know the Ski Nautique name and the aura that follows.

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:33am
The bass-boaters are a different breed. Almost like robots. Barely ever smile or wave or anything.

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:35am
I agree Brian. They are probably the least courteous boaters on the water. A few tournaments are held at our lake and they block off the ramp completely from anyone else looking to put it. I usually go over there and pick up their trailers and move them into awkward positions so I can get to the ramp. I bet they like that when they get back!

-------------

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 12:18pm
Some cocky sob comes to the boatyard, i'm (17) timing/tuning his pos Centurian.

"you know what you're doin??"

7am, Four footers in a 2001 idling in a channel appraching a bass boat idling opposite dir.

Us: "good morning"
him ""          nothing, no guy nod, can't turn head.

rinse and repeat for every one of them

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:45pm
"Let's take a Carnival Cruise" ?

Dumb stuff I've said:
   "Have you ever done it on a motor box?"

Dumb stuff said by Park Ranger:
   "HEY! TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON!"

Dumb stuff I said:
   "NOW?"

Posted By: Brennan
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:46pm
When people ask about the boat I usually tell them it is a water ski tournament tow boat for competitive water skiing in a slalom course. That usually limits the responses to "Oh, or wow". So I don't have to listen to the "my cousin or whatever has a SeaRay ski boat too" comments.

I was cleaning it out in the driveway as a guy walked on past, asks how big the engine is, and how fast it goes and what not. Then I explain to him it's all designed for pulling skiers and all about the boat. Nice old guy walking his dog. He was genuinely interested, it was pretty cool.

Have had the ole' oh, I bet that thing pulls the tubs really nice. You also get the occasional, what is the hump in the middle for?

One of our family friends just cannot grasp the concept. He always asks me why I got the new boat, the old one (Sea Ray 19') wasn't fast enough? Then I go on and on about wake and pulling and what not and he just asks about speed again. Endless loop...

-------------
1997 Ski Nautique

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:52pm
More dumb stuff I like to say:
   "Did you pump the bulb?"

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:58pm
With the very small tique and a somewhat vintage hot rod looking motor,

I get the "I bet it's fast....oh is that all" on occasion. But for the most part, the two places I've had the boat (MA and NC) its pretty much an I/O crowd or a tooner crowd, and this 37 year old boat in relatively good shape doesn't phase them at all...too busy fusin' with their tubes to notice.

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:59pm
Once I had the question.. "Why would you buy a boat like that"?

my response..."if I have to explain it, you'd never understand".

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:07pm
Dr reminded me of one of many 5-0 interactions, was flying around Lake George in Reid's 73 Orange Mustang with Keith, they pull us over for Loud Exhaust, officer keeps asking us to "hit the button, you know the one that makes it quite", we tried to explain there was no captains call button to no avail, in the end he let us go as we promised not to make any more noise, lol

-------------

Posted By: Waternut
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:21pm

Dr reminded me of one of many 5-0 interactions, was flying around Lake George in Reid's 73 Orange Mustang with Keith, they pull us over for Loud Exhaust, officer keeps asking us to "hit the button, you know the one that makes it quite", we tried to explain there was no captains call button to no avail, in the end he let us go as we promised not to make any more noise, lol

I would've never known WTF he was even talking about.

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:22pm
Yeah, in these boats, the only "button" that makes it quiet is the ignition switch.

-------------

Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:37pm

The engine quit a couple hundred yards from the ramp.
I opened the motor box and jumped in as I was side strokin'
pulling the boat by the nose ring the wildlife officer went
flying by to the ramp. When I got there he was on the trailer
wiping down his boat. Sooo I saz WTF or something like that
and he saz " I saw you and thought you were exercising "

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Posted By: KFD14
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 6:38pm
Not about boats but can often be heard while in a boat, "here hold my beer and watch this".

-------------

%20http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4380" rel="nofollow - 83 2001 SN

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:08pm
For me, it's when folks who have no idea what they are doing want to tell me what to do:

"Can you fill the ballast?" from the guy who can barely wakeboard
"The skis are too big" is why I can't get up on doubles
"you're going too fast" or "too slow" or "too" whatever

Or the guy whose been up on a ski, wakeboard, surfboard three times,
and wants to talk over me, giving advice, while I'm trying to teach a newby.

"you need to drive over there"

"this wakeboard is too big" "too small" "too narrow" "too old" whatever

"I can't ski, wakeboard, whatever without gloves"

"This boat doesn't have enough power to get me up."

"I'm a club certified driver, I can drive your boat." Uhm no, you can't.

"These bindings are too tight" Nevermind that it's my ski and my foot
is three sizes bigger

"I use to drive my uncles' boat every summer. I can pull you."

"I can't drive a Nautique because they back up the wrong way"

"Why can't my dog come in your boat - he loves the water."

From kids: "why do I have to wear a life jacket." I don't blame the kid,
I blame the parent who should have set that expectation long before they
got to my boat.

"I've been skiing for years. . . Oh, do you have an easy up handle?"

Almost 50 years in boats now, I could probably come up with hundreds.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:08pm
I have heard the following :: Hey Man, I like yer Ski Nautica or this one "Bo that is one nyce Ski Nautiki" zat got a big block in er ??

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:15pm
From my brother:
"Oh, I didn't fill it, but it really shouldn't use that much gas when we're just cruising around"... for three hours.

Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Or the guy whose been up on a ski, wakeboard, surfboard three times,
and wants to talk over me, giving advice, while I'm trying to teach a newby.

OK BK

When was my brother-in-law in your boat!

He almost went swimming when he was with me.

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:41pm
Forgot another good one. Here around lewisville we have a ton of boats we hop around on and it was my turn to pull a few months ago. Drew was on the platform with his board on and said "22.7 on the speed". Then he threw the rope out hopping in the water to ride without even thinking about what he had said and he had just pulled me right before it was his set.

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 7:48pm
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20130213164741&KW=" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20130213164741&KW=

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 8:19pm
dang, forum search result for all posts by quinner expires

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

More dumb stuff I like to say:
   "Did you pump the bulb?"

Quinner always makes sure his bulb is pre pumped.

The only thing I've ever got the 5-0 after me on was my 96 SPI Seadoo. That thing did great wake crossings about 10 feet behind my dad's Chris Craft . Luckly dad had his talk me out of situations hat on that day. I was just being a punk ass 16 year old kid to the DNR officer. Made me mad because I know for a fact by that age I had more hours behind a boat wheel ha let alone on that lake.

^^Stupid things I've done/said^^

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2013 at 11:11pm
When I was maybe 16 we got stopped by the Sheriff. He told us to turn it off and we said we can't, that we'd had a problem and if we turn it off it won't start. Buuuut he insisted....so we guilted him into probably a 45 minute+ tow. When we got near the cottage we jumped up onto the engine box and put our hands behind our backs like we were handcuffed. Award-winning practical joke on the parents......

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 1:17am
Along the same lines as 74 Wind's story above. We are at a friends house on Fox Lake outside Chicago (craziest party lake this side of the Rockies). We are on the deck of the house. A Malibu pulls into the bay after a looong day of drinking. The extemely inibriated driver jumps onto the rear swim platform and starts taking a whiz into the lake.

He spots us up on the deck and starts screaming and yelling. We give him the "you go dude" high sign. He proudly (well, not that proud) continues his show and keeping us entertained. We keep watching him....as we are also watching the sheriffs patrol boat slipping up the bay just behind him while we are placing bets as to how long before the blue lights come on. He keeps tending to business. We keep egging him on.

And that's when the blue lights come on, and Mr. Crazy Dude ain't so crazy anymore! We had an absolute blast wathing the cops administer the breathalyzer, search his boat, cuff him, and tow him away. Good job men! Get that idiot off the lake.

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 5:01am
Not CC related but last year I was flagged down on the chain a group of people on shore. They stopped me to see the "new racing model" PWC I was riding.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 10:46am
Not necessarily a dumb thing, but if I get an observant uninformed person, they'll ask why my boat has two speedos. I've heard the suggestion a few times too that I "need to get a stainless prop on there" as it will surely handle better. I've also had someone insinuate that my boat must not be as good at holding speed as the commenter's I/O, b/c I was constantly making speed adjustments. In his boat, the throttle is designed "stiff" enough so that he just hammers it to where it needs to be, removes his hand from the throttle and it stays put.

Agreed on all of the bass boater comments. They appear to be having zero fun on the lake. All business all the time. I don't even bother to speak any more.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 10:56am
I had a longtime friend who pestered me about driving my boat. I knew him to be a guy who had owned and been around boats a good bit. His experience was mostly fish/ski and O/B and I/O type boats. He pestered me about it to the point that I finally let him drive my boat. No one around, calm lake, I was right there, what the hell.

I get from behind the wheel and he....wait for it.....sits on the top of my driver's seat back with feet in the seat. It was awkward, but I had to correct him. When he did sit down in the seat I explained, twice, to be gentle with the throttle. It would be more responsive than anything he had driven before as would the steering. He gives me a throttle, shmottle look and proceeds to hammer down. He quickly gained respect for the throttle, steeering, handling and etc. The look of joy on his face told the story about his impression of the boat. He talked my ear off about it for the rest of the day.

Admittedly, he caught me at a weak moment and wore me down. I don't typically cave and let any non-inboard person drive, but that time turned out okay.

A little off topic I guess, apologies for the threadjack

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 11:19am
Well maybe you converted him!

-------------

Posted By: hansenindustries
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 2:31pm
When explaining to a classmate that I was on crutches due to a wakeboarding incident where I came down from a double up wrong and tore my ACL, he asked "What kind of boat do you ride behind to get that kind of air? A sea-doo?" Even after trying to explain the difference he was unwavering in his understanding that a sea-doo boat was the best on the market....so I kicked him in the teeth...

-------------
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 4:13pm
Over the years I've had to introduce people used to driving "regular" boats to driving the Nautique in order for me to get a pull behind my own boat. It's very hard not to sound like a total a-hole when telling them all the things they need to know. Always a tough position, especially when it's a parent or in-law. I always stress that the boat can change direction VERY fast so a wrong move can kill someone easily.

Throttle response is a big one. On my Dad's fishing boat, you have to press the throttle down probably 90 degrees before the thing even starts moving. As you can imagine, when he gets into the inboard it's a very rough ride! We've had some full-throttle reverses out of the boat lift before, for sure. I can't tell you how many times I've been at the end of the rope, in the hole, and watched that stern DIVE down, indicating that whoever is driving that is not used to the throttle pretty much floored it! Pulling someone out of the hole smoothly, as well as ending the ride with both the skier and boat settling down at the same time next to each other are things that escape most of these people despite repeated reinforcement. Nothing like signaling I"m done with the ride, letting go of the rope and just seeing the boat continue for another quarter mile down the lake. Sigh.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 4:55pm
Joel, I hear ya on that...When we took friends out skiing, I would normally let the husband drive my (at the time ) Tique.

One time we took a couple out that didnt do a lot of skiing. This guys wife was small.. probably barely over 100 lbs. I told him to get the slack out of the rope and when she was ready, just nudge the throttle lightly. He said he was used to it. That his dad had a "fish and ski" boat. He slams about 3/4 throttle, out of the hole, literally pulled her out of the bindings. Not once but two or three times.

When it was his turn to ski, he got in the water and put both skis on. I told him..."Hold on"....

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 5:06pm
I remember my first pull behind an inboard. I couldn't believe how hard these tractors pull. My fingers were tingling for a day after my brother said "hang on" and shoved the handle all the way down.

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 6:57pm

When it was his turn to ski, he got in the water and put both skis on. I told him..."Hold on"....

Awesome

Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I remember my first pull behind an inboard.

Me too, it was when I bought my 77' back in 87'. It felt so different, like the first time skiing on a ski not made of wood, not sure you liked it but knew you would eventually love it!!

-------------

Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 7:16pm
Charles Atlas couldn't have held on to that rope, and he didn't give me a chance to return the favor.

-------------

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 7:56pm
What's that pole sticking out the side of your boat?

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: mrinboard
Date Posted: February-14-2013 at 8:57pm
My wife hade some of her friends up this summer, and one of there husbands wanted to slalom ski. From what I was told he had 4 failed attempts on the last time he told my wife (who is one of the best inboard drivers I know) she was doing it wrong she just needs to nail it, So she did and he dislocated his shoulder

-------------
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"

Date Posted: February-15-2013 at 12:41am
Years ago a friend bought a Baja (what a rocket). First time out we pull up to a crowded bar & he asks "where are the ropes?" I replied "They're called "lines" and you're supposed to bring your own". So...we proceed to tie up with a skirope to the amusement of the crowd. At the time I was a Bliss Marine manager. His girlfriend came in a few days later to buy him a "cool" birthday gift. I said "the only thing I will sell you is a set of 4 docklines". Not long after, she came in for another set. I ask "So...what happened to them??". She sheepishly replied, "we tied up, went in, came out later, and he must have untied them at the boat instead of the dock because they are gone..."

Later that summer went to a party in Westport (Long Island Sound) and beached it. The party was on the other side of the house and many hours later he got a firsthand introduction to the concept of "tides".

In yet another misadventure...you can't buy alcohol in Connecticut on Sundays, so we ran across to Long Island to buy some beer......

Been 25 years, lost touch with him, but a friend told me he now has a Cigarette-clone and runs it all around the Sound and the City. Hope he's got some lines............

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: randall
Date Posted: February-16-2013 at 11:15pm
Overall, I get good comments from strangers and friends.

The joy is in my full time I/O friends driving the boat and the shock on their face on how much muscle a 16ft boat can have. It just surprises people over and over every summer.

From time to time I run into REAL Correct Craft people...the conversations are always great.

-------------
1973 CC Mustang

Posted By: Double D
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:06am
These have been said before but here is what I get:

"Hey, nice boat! What size engine?"
"Chevy 350, 275 HP.
"Wow, I bet it goes fast!"
"No, just 43 to 45 MPH. Its made for the pull."
"Oh, do a lot a fishing?"
"No..., not on this boat."

Now my Friend Story: He was only ever out on an old wood boat with a 25 hp outboard.
First time I took him on the boat. I told him it was like a large jet ski so hold on when I turn. He didn't and ended up on the other side of the boat, smashing his wife.
Then I take him tubing. Run him around real careful and he gets real confident. Feels so confident he said "I bet you cant knock me off...."
OK, I had him thrown in less than 6 seconds and one turn. He apologized...
I tend to do that with the people who get cocky...

Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:22am
One of my favorites came from my 6 year old grandson, Kaleb. He loves to go "catfishin'" with his dad. One of the times we took him out with us last summer he asked.. "Grandpa, can we go fishing"?

I have always told anyone that even hints at fishing in my inboard... "I dont allow worms in my boat"!

Kaleb's response. "What about dippin' bait"?

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:22am
"Why do they call it a "tow" boat?

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

"Why do they call it a "tow" boat?

Because it's designed for pulling TOWables.... You can't call em tubes anymore because of the advanced technology in designing them.

Only things I've experienced in the 12 years that I've owned mine was......

" Hey Man, that sure is a nice looking boat there. What kind is it?"

" Uhhhhhhh, It's a Ski Nautique. There's a huge decal down the side of the boat."

"Oh, Yeah I guess so..... That thing looks good for a 2001 model!"

After I get done chuckling as this guy obviously knows nothing about Ski Boats and this conversation is taking place at a gas station close to the lake..

" Well, actually it's a 88 model."

"What,   you gotta be kiddin' me.....This is a 88? Then why does it have 2001 on the side?"

Needless to say I give the guy a quick education till the tank is full then I high tail it out of there.

Another one was from a Senior Citizen.....

"Hey, that sure is a nice boat you got there....what kind is it?"

"It's a Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001"

" Oh, You mean Chris Craft?"

" No sir, Correct Craft...they are made in Fla. It's a competition ski boat"

"Ohhhhh, Do you ever do any fishing out of it?"

"Uhhhhhhhh, No Sir, its primary purpose in life is to pull skiers."

"Oh I see, I thought maybe you used it for fishing. I see that huge cover in the middle and figured it was a live well in the center of the boat."

At this point it was all I could do from keep from laughing and embarassing the old man. I realize that he just doesn't know but it was still the darndest thing I ever heard......

"No sir; that's the engine cover. There is a 351 under there."

"Wow, a 351? you must get to your fishing spot in a hurry."

"Yes, sir I do.... It's a beatiful day to be on the lake, you have a great day!"

I got in the Durango and started laughing as I couldn't contain myself any longer. The girls asked... "Dad....what is so funny?"

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 12:36pm
I always get a lot of crazy looks when the barefoot boom is on the boat and it is not in use. It did not happen to me, but someone on CCFAN, I think it was Swatkinz was telling me they were on a fresh water lake with the boom out and someone asked them what they were fishing for? They thought the boom was dragging a net. He told them he was trolling for shrimp and they believed him.

Donald

Posted By: bbishop1974
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:07pm
My friends are always busting on me about being anal with my boat.Their boats sit out uncovered all summer and it shows.When i bust on them for their boats looking like hell i get the same respose"its a boat.its meant to be wet!".

Posted By: skicat2001
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 3:09pm

Starting the engine at the dock... a lot of time it turns heads. A few ask to see the engine. After lifting the engine cover a normal response seems to be "Wow, how fast does this run?" I tell them 45 - 50mph. At which time they usually say.. Ohhh, is that all?

Steve I got that alot.45-50 thats all... One day I had to run to the marina across the lake. This bass boat and myself decided to race. We where neck and neck and pulled away at the end.When I had tied up at the marina he had come over and said man what do you got in that thing.351 Ford I replied. He then made a comment,I did not know ski boats ran that fast,I thought they ran about 35mph... I then commented "this is a Correct Craft,they do!!"

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: DeepCreekNauti
Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 3:21pm
"Permission to come ABOARD!" I really hate that.

and passengers who think it is helpful to pull in the ropes as soon as the skier goes down. I have had more ropes caught in the prop because the rope wasn't where I thought it was.

Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 4:55pm
[QUOTE=DeepCreekNauti] "Permission to come ABOARD!" I really hate that.

and passengers who think it is helpful to pull in the ropes as soon as the skier goes down. I have had more ropes caught in the prop because the rope wasn't where I thought it was.

[/QUOTE

I HATE it when people pull the lines in.

@Donald....my response to "what is the pole sticking out of the side of your boat." I tell them it's an outrigger and it allows for me to get a much better trolling spread. Some do seem to believe it.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Date Posted: February-17-2013 at 7:21pm
Yea, the boom is longer than the mast. Makes for an odd shaped sail.

-------------

Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:18am
Silly Sheriffs that accuse you of going too fast in a No Wake Zone and not having a clue how an inboard ski boat works.

And then assuming that the big 2001 on the side of the boat is the year and not believing you when you tell him it's an '86.

Seriously, if you're going to be a water patrol, at least know that boats are different and are not all the same.

On that same page though, I was impressed by the Minocqua Wisconsin police when an officer let me pass him because he knew I could not go any slower than I was, and as such, was having to put in it neutral to prevent me from hitting him.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:25am
Hi Matt,
I remember some people bustin on you for your post about no wake a long time ago. You know I have seen you drive in no wake zones in front of my place, and there is nothing to complain about. I wish they all drove like you.
I hope you stop in for a refreshment next year. I should have a guest dock by then.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

My friends are always busting on me about being anal with my boat.Their boats sit out uncovered all summer and it shows.When i bust on them for their boats looking like hell i get the same respose"its a boat.its meant to be wet!".

I want to stab people when they say that a boat is meant to be wet. NOT MINE! And don't drink or eat in my boat either.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:34am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Hi Matt,
I remember some people bustin on you for your post about no wake a long time ago. You know I have seen you drive in no wake zones in front of my place, and there is nothing to complain about. I wish they all drove like you.
I hope you stop in for a refreshment next year. I should have a guest dock by then.

I'l be up for the 4th for sure, already have the time off. I'm hoping to take the first two weeks in July off, but we'll see.

Can't wait to get up there though...

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:34am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

I want to stab people when they say that a boat is meant to be wet. NOT MINE! And don't drink or eat in my boat either.

No eating or drinking? Sounds lik HW and Quinner will never get a ride then.

-------------

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:38am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

And don't drink or eat in my boat either.

I can understand you banning my Cheetos, but a guy has to hydrate!

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: wakeboardin2k4
Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:34pm

I get the same thing when telling people that the new Malibus have the 550hp Cadillac CTS engine in it. Especially at the NYC boat show with a bunch of long islanders who dont know whether the boat is a jetboat or inboard or what it is.

Joe Tough Guy-"Wow it must do 70!"

Me- "Not that fat pig"

-------------
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:48pm
Dennis, the very intoxicated pontoon boat fisherman, claims my stock 88 ski nautique buzzed him @80 mph last fall.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Dennis, the very intoxicated pontoon boat fisherman, claims my stock 88 ski nautique buzzed him @80 mph last fall.

your new boat might buzz him at 120!!

-------------
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I get the same thing when telling people that the new Malibus have the 550hp Cadillac CTS engine in it. Especially at the NYC boat show with a bunch of long islanders who dont know whether the boat is a jetboat or inboard or what it is.

Joe Tough Guy-"Wow it must do 70!"

Me- "Not that fat pig"

I used to work the NY Boat Show every year when I was with E & B Marine, lotta fun.

Was held at the Coliseum (Columbus Circle) back then, which I beleive they tore down. Where is show held now????

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 10:35pm

The B.O.A.T thing pisses me off and usually indicates to me that I'm standing in front of an idiot... Or after you tell them it has a 351 Ford and they start asking how much gas it goes through... I usually just tell them It costs less to fill up even at these high gas prices than it does to take our family of 5 out to the movies... and a lot more fun!

The best was when I had my roof redone by a group of Amish guys. They used my garage as their lunch room, even brought a microwave to heat stuff up... So they are all standing around the boat admiring it and one of them asks what "that pole" in the center is for... and the "hump" I had to explain water skiing and show them the engine. I still don't think they got it.

Great topic!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 10:55pm
How about people not knowing the difference between and inboard and I/O.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 11:16pm
It's at the javitts center now. It's getting smaller. None of our brands did great this year. Our territory doesn't come to the show to buy boats. People come see us preshow usually.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2013 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

truth finally comes out, I knew you were a sandbagger

-------------

Date Posted: February-19-2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

It's at the javitts center now. It's getting smaller. None of our brands did great this year. Our territory doesn't come to the show to buy boats. People come see us preshow usually.

Yup, shows typically draw tirekickers for boats. Marine supplies another story, we ran wide open...cases and cases of gear & electronics; when the Sea Ranger Loran came out they were lined up down the aisle all show long....

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: Hussler
Date Posted: February-19-2013 at 2:59am
We fortunately don't have too many cocky/arrogant people come through the marina, but the B.O.A.T. ribbing gets old, same goes for jokes about Bayliners. Also the "2 best days of owning a boat" joke as well. Explaining the difference between 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Watching people at the ramp used to be funny but now its just painful, for gods sake you dont need to have the trailer completely underwater to the point where your minivans exhaust is blowing bubbles, I try to offer advice but they usually just yeah yeah yeah you away. Okay not my junk.

I'm pretty easy going and I've heard a LOT of silly questions about boats but I guess youve got to learn somewhere, so I try to spare the sarcasm.

Posted By: TRIP
Date Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:13am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

How about people not knowing the difference between and inboard and I/O.

Uh huh. You can explain but they'll still claim theirs is an inboard too. Nevermind.

-------------
http://www.flyzone-cr.com" rel="nofollow - FlyZone Costa Rica Wakeboarding
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8406&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1997 Super Sport

Posted By: Behl
Date Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:22pm
Well, their engine is inside the boat

-------------
Steve in Indy

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1702&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - Redone 1977 Ski Tique

Posted By: Chevy350
Date Posted: May-03-2016 at 1:09pm
So I was trying to explain to my friend about what type of boat I have. So after a bit of explaining, he says "Well since its that old, do you steer with a trolling motor?"

-------------
1972 Mustang

Print Page | Close Window