Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans still ’slightly’ engaged in neutral

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans still ’slightly’ engaged in neutral
    Posted: November-21-2005 at 8:25am
This might be a newbie question but here it goes. My '76 SN runs and shifts great. One slightly annoying tendency is that, occasionally, when idling in neutral with the shift release knob out, the transmission will still slightly engage in forward. By slightly I mean not fully engaged but the boat will pull with enough power that you've really got to grab the dock. Is this a cable adjustment issue? The trans fluid has been changed regularly, etc. Any input is appreciated. Thx
76 Nautique
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 9:45am
Others will be able to more fully respond, but I see the same thing happening with my 69 SN. I think it is a characteristic of the BW Transmission. Yours does seem to be more engaged than mine, I've not noticed a need to "really grab the dock."
This serves as a good reminder too, that when people are getting in and out of our boats from the water the engine should be off.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 10:05am
This can be a sign that your stuffing box is not tight enough. Are you sure the lever that the cable connects to is "clicked" in neutral position when the throttle handle is in neutral?
Tim D
76 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 10:17am
Hi and thx for the replies.

The trans is definitely in neutral. The stuffing box could be tightened up a bit, it's leaking more than it should so i'll try that route in the spring.
76 Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 11:08am
this can be caused by too much tranny fluid in the housing as well as the shift arm not being positioned/adjusted correctly. If you can grap the saft or put your foot on the shaft and it stops turning then don't get exsited about it, but if you can not then you have an issue with the tranny and need it fixed.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 11:11am
My PCM tranny does the same thing. There is almost no power. If I carefully grip the drive shaft with my hand, it easily stops.

The local CC dealer said it is a common problem. It indicates that the clutch plates are starting to stick and the tranny will eventually need a clutch pack. He said that when there is enough power to drive the boat, its time to do the repair. It sounds like you may be getting close.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 11:42am
marks right, if you cannot easliy stop the shaft while at idle, the clutch plates are sticking. This is caused by worn plates or water that may be in trans.Check trans fuild, should be red like ATF, If it's been a while, I would change fuild, flush cooler and lines. If that don't do it, the plates need replaced. It's not too bad a job, a lot of cats here heve done it, and theirs a manual on this site. But for sure check the fuild asap as it could be overfull and or have water in it.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 1:50pm
Speaking of fluid level, on the old BW, should you screw in the little dip stick or just place it in the hole? It would make a big difference on the total amount.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2005 at 3:20pm
Screw in by hand, remove and check level, the newer trans with push-in dipstick are all the way in when you check level. So I am sure the pipe thread dipstick ahould be in all the way as well. Oil capacity is 1.3 quarts with a "angled" transmission like in CC. Mine holds excatly 2 quarts with cooler & lines.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 8:18am
hmmmm....

Mackwrench: I believe your advice needs a bit of clarification...see below.

Warner transmissions:
Oil level should be checked immediately after stopping warm engine. The dipstick assembly need NOT be tightened into the case to determine oil level. Merely insert into case until cap or plug rests on surface surrounding oil filler hole. Checking level cold gives false readings. No provision made for checking cold oil level. After checking level when hot and ensuring full then you can add a mark on the dipstick when the transmission is cold and use this for checking the cold fluid level in the future.

PCM transmissions:
Checking when hot: Same procedure as Warner transmissions.
Checking when cold: Insert the dipstick into the transmission opening and let the dipstick rest BY ITS OWN WEIGHT on the first o-ring. Do NOT push the dipstick into the opening.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 9:37am
Thanks David, I stand corrected! I am glad you had the correct info!
Somewhere I have a older Borg-Warner service manual that details how to mark the dipstick for the "full" level. It had some formala for measuring where the mark should be. Maybe I can dig it out if anyone needs it.
Soooo... I guess mine hold a little more than 2 quarts!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2005 at 2:15pm
Another reason for forward motion...and this is from personal experience. I rebuilt my tranny after my first run in my 79, six years ago. The reason it had to be rebuilt is, the clutch plates were warped from overheating (water in the fluid)which causes the tranny to be engaged in "forward" even in neutral and reverse. Anyway, when you rebuild with new clutch plates, there needs to be a certain amount of clearance between them. Using the correct "thickness" of snap ring determines that correct amount of clearance. If you use too thick of a snap ring, you won't have enough clearance and you will always have some forward rotation of the shaft. In my opinion, it's the trickiest part of rebuilding these trannys!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic