NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Tires, Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Tires, Need Help
    Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:14am
I have a 2000 pro air on a 1999 Prestige trailer. Single axle. I would ask them, but apparently they've been out of business for some time. Not a great sign.

What load capacity tire should I have on there? They're 225 75R15, and the one's I have (which I replaced all 3 of them this summer already) are rated at 2500#, but I figure I'm probably close to 4500# with the boat on the trailer. Any time I hit a little bump in the road the sides of the tire bow out like crazy, and any time I hit something substantial I have visions of changing them on the side of the highway again.

I talked to the guy at the tire store and he was about worthless, told me I needed to know what kind of tire the trailer was rated for, cause if its C I can't go up to D, and not D to E...whatever. This means nothing to me. The manual was no help. The only intelligible markings on the trailer are these, and I get nothing from them.

I figure I got about 36 hours of road time I'm going to be doing with this trailer in the next month, and the last thing I want is to be on my way to Tim's, changing a tire, listening to "I told you you were going too fast"

Somebody with a similar trailer or boat help me out. And yes, I know, the obvious answer is to upgrade to a tandem axle. That's not happening before next weekend.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:40am
My thought would be to find a new tire person.
The tires should match the axle weight.
The axle weight may be stamped on the axle itself. Have a look.
But as far as tires go, you can put on a more ply tire for the heavier weight without a problem. You could put 12 ply tires on that thing as long as you do not overweight the axle or the coupler and you have a 6000 lb coupler. Ask for Carlisle trailer tires or better.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:42am
Load range D, but just make sure it's a trailer specific tire. Here is a good example. I just ordered 2 new tires and aluminum rims from this company for less than $400 shipped, mounted and balanced.

Trailer tire
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:52am
A radial tire will have bow or the look of squatting. I recently upgraded from old bias plys and still think mine look too squatty at full road psi. Towed my first 160 hwy miles last tuesday / speed limit was 70mph.

Local Truck scale can give you an exact weight number (agri / industrial / or truck stop)..
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 8:56am
I'd like to add that you also should have the tire PSI up to the max as indicated on the tire sidewall.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LilRichard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 9:47am
In case you're interested in my input, I do a ton of long distance trailering and have found that Maxxis tires hold up very well. I used to run Denmans but they went out of business.

Check out the RV forums... That's where I got the advice from and it's been spot on. I would avoid GY Marathons like the plague. I know you didn't specifically ask about brand, but it's a big deal in trailer tires...
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:09pm
Avoid GY Marathons like the plague??? I don't know what you're basing that statement off of, but there are plenty here that have had great things to say about their Marathons, myself included.

If you want to want to find bad reviews on any brand, just search and you'll find them. It's usually the people who have bad experiences that write the reviews.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:26pm
Guys....sorry for the threadjack here, but, I am now in the market for new trailer tires too. The old tires on my Southwind 18 are Load Range C. I weighed the boat/trailer a year or so ago, and the combo weighs ~3800 Lbs.

If not mistaken, load range C are rated for around 1800 lbs. or so. Am I safe staying with C, or should I move to D? I think my boat may have gained weight over the years.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:32pm
Was that the weight of just on the axle, or did you combine it with the tongue weight as well. Your tires don't see the tongue weight.

You'd probably never have an issue with the C's, but it's also not that much more to spring for the D's.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 12:41pm
Cc/ramlin used larger wheels/tires than most on their trailers when they started going to the 6-lug 15" hardware on the single axles. I bet you would be hard pressed to find a set of trailer tires in that 225/75/15 size that didn't have a sufficient load rating for a sport/air. If you have the choice between multiple load ranges in that size, then go with the larger one. Like Pete said, proper trailer tires inflated to their max psi shouldn't give you a problem.

As far as brands go, it seems like a crapshoot these days. Lots of both good and bad reviews for all major brands- Goodyear, Carlisle, loadmaster, etc. I've done a lot of miles with all of the above (Goodyear more than anything) and I have never had a tire issue, knock on wood. I do check my pressure and running temps religiously though. Springs, on the other hand, have given me fits!!!
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. I do check my pressure and running temps religiously though. !!

I think Tim's advice above is key for good trailer tire life. Any brand tire building excess heat due to low psi, defect, or alignment will fail
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 1:19pm
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Was that the weight of just on the axle, or did you combine it with the tongue weight as well. Your tires don't see the tongue weight.

You'd probably never have an issue with the C's, but it's also not that much more to spring for the D's.

Acutally, the way I weighed it was to pull the SUV/boat on to the sales, get a total weight, and then pulled the SUV back on by itself, and subtract the weight of the SUV. So, not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
LilRichard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 2:42am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Avoid GY Marathons like the plague??? I don't know what you're basing that statement off of, but there are plenty here that have had great things to say about their Marathons, myself included.

How many miles do you put on your tires a year? In total before replacement?

We tow the big boat about 5,000 miles a year roughly, and my race trailer about 6k or more.

If you think I'm being biased, you may wish to check out the florida sportsman forum and you'll see a good cross section of users, and almost all - including myself - have had crap results with Marathons.

Once they switched to Chinese made, it was all bad. Heck, I was at GOODYEAR service today, and the manager said the same! Oh by the way, he was putting Maxxis tires on for me.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 10:01am
I'm with LilRichard -

I have a buddy who is head engineer for Toyo (North America) who commented on my GY Marathons: "They were the best trailer tire made, until manufacturing moved to China...Now there are many better tires."

FWIW................ My Marathons hardly get used for towing - they dry rot from disuse but they are easy to find at Wally World!!! ........
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 1:30am
Update time...
After a call from the gun-driver, who had just talked to his tire guy, I ended up with Tow Master Class E's. (Thanks bro)

I realized that part of my problem was that after I rubbed the side off of two tires because of a bent fender, I replaced it with the spare out of convenience, but that one had thinner sidewalls. It was a class D tire, but it was 5 PR, whatever the heck that means. That one's gone. Put the two Tow Masters on the trailer, and the remaining good class D on the spare. That one I didn't notice the bowing with, it was just that spare. Anyway, the thing rides SOOOOO much better now. Ready to put 5 hours on them tomorrow.

And just for fun, since I haven't posted pics of this yet, a couple weeks ago I rebuilt pretty much everything I could reach on the trailer. Some of it was necessity, that bent fender had to be fixed, and the existing carpeted plywood (what do you call that anyway, running boards?) was soup. That carpet had trapped the water against the plywood so long there was barely enough to make patterns with. And some of it was cosmetic...like removing the bunks, which I never hope to do again cause that sucked a big fat one.

When I went to the home depot, they didn't have black outdoor carpeting (which is what was on there originally), so my choices were blue, green and grey. I reluctantly chose the grey, and man do I love it. Rotten wood aside, I think the grey looks a hundred times better.

And it doesn't look bad with the boat on it either.

All told this summer, 5 new tires, 1 new wheel, rebuilt (and carpeted) the bunks, running boards, and bow stop, replaced one light and a blown fuse in the truck, re-shaped a bent guide pole (which was harder than I expected...the PO must have really tanked that thing), new jack (which is actually a little too long when its upright, but I been dealing with that all my life), and the cherry: new guide pole covers, thanks to a combined effort from Paul and Marty. You guys are awesome. It was important to me to have the White Lake ones because my boat started its life as a promo for them. You can see I left the decal on the observer side of the windshield, just cause I think its so cool.

I really wish I had pictures of it before, cause it was a real turd.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
laira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 7:52am
The all advice is good but Is it possible if yes so tell me how i also want to do this in my trailer and i also want to install other tank for my trailer...
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 9:59am
[QUOTE=IAughtNaut] Update time...
After a call from the gun-driver, who had just talked to his tire guy, I ended up with Tow Master Class E's. (Thanks bro)

Just curious, Where are Tow Master tires manufactured?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 1:32pm
Unfortunately China. Here's some interesting reading on trailer tires.

Trailer Tire Applications
•Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.
Inflation
•Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
•Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
•If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
•Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Load Carrying Capacity
•All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.
•The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.
•The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.
•If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.
•If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.

Speed
•All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
•As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
•The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time
•Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
•In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
•Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
•It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage
•Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
•The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
•The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An "ST" Tire
•"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
•The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
•The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
•"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage
•The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
•Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
•Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
•For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

Maintenance
•Clean the tires using mild soap and water.
•Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.
•Inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.
•Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.

Keys to Avoiding Trouble
•Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.
•Maintain the tires meticulously.
•Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.
Trailer Tire Warranty
•The Carlisle trailer tire warranty applies to the original purchaser for three years from the date of purchase or until the tread depth reaches 3/32".
•The OE (original equipment) warranty goes into effect at the time of the trailer purchase

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 2:00pm
So Tow Master tires are superior why? I read your whole tire story but I couldn't get why Tow Master where better than any other Chinese tire. I had one on my 5th wheel as I got a blow out and that was the only brand I could get. The dealer said that's what he has take it or leave it but offered no explanation as to if where any good. I have since sold the 5er so I don't know if it was any good or not.

Why did your tire guy reccommend that brand?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 2:32pm
I guess he has had the best results with them. The GY has been having problems with belts separating (mine blew due to belt separation)
He gave me three of his top choices that he would recommend, Tow Master was the top pic.
He is a good friend and I didn't want to waste his time getting into why he thought they were the best. I took what he recommended because he's the expert and passed the info on to Adam. He was not getting a sale out of the deal he was just telling me what he would put on his trailer if it were his.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

and the cherry: new guide pole covers, thanks to a combined effort from Paul and Marty. You guys are awesome.

Hey I helped out too! I had those covers stored in my garage for over two years!

Glad to see you got that turd of a trailer polished up Adam. Nothing like the peace of mind of having a reliable trailer on a long trip.

My Boatmate trailer came with "trail master" tires. Not sure if they are the same as "tow master"... I could have chose to upgrade to GY marathons but at the time I had read the same bad reviews. so, I just had them put the standard ones on. That was over four years ago, and they have held up great.

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 2:41pm
BTW: should trailer tires be rotated?

I noticed that the tires on my front axle have worn a bit more than the rear axle. I'm thinking about swapping them front to back. I'll probably be replacing them in a couple years anyway just because of age.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 3:52pm
My GY dealer also steered me away from Marathons & towards Tow Master.    I have had no problems with the Towmasters. From what I remember (from research 2 yrs ago) there are no trailer tires mfg'd in US anymore.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 4:43pm
Looking good Adam! Glad you could get your rig in tip top shape before leaving it with me next week.. wouldn't want it to give me any problems! It might not be quite as pretty as Jackie's.. but it ain't bad.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2012 at 6:13pm
GY may have experienced some intermittent problems, but let's put it where it is....The real reason these tire places are pushing the Towmasters is purely about profit margin.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
laira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2012 at 7:16am
Good information and tell me is it possible if yes so tell me how i also want to do this in my trailer and i also want to install other tank for my trailer...
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2012 at 11:49am
I like the grey carpet too, Adam. Looks Good
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2012 at 11:56am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

My GY dealer also steered me away from Marathons & towards Tow Master.    I have had no problems with the Towmasters. From what I remember (from research 2 yrs ago) there are no trailer tires mfg'd in US anymore.

Chris.....I just put Carlisle's on my trailer. I bought them at Farm & Fleet, and they told me they were still made in the US. They indicated they had bad experience with some other tires they used to carry that were made in China, so they went with Carlile.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2012 at 6:26pm
Looks like most think "Made in China" is an indicator of low quality. Be aware that China has factories with dirt floors and factories with clean room certification and everything in between. Almost every one of your trailers is running on Chinese bearings that cost a tenth of what a domestic bearing does and the quality is every bit as good.

I run marathons on my single axle trailer and am very pleaseed with the ride and stability and longevity.
This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic