NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The old girl got a face lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The old girl got a face lift
    Posted: July-30-2012 at 7:58pm
Finally got around to wet sanding, buffing, new graphics, new pin stripe, new rub rail and rope.

Wet sanding

Prepping for new rub-rail

Getting the new graphics

Graphics with pinstripe

New rub-rail

Rub-rail and rope

All done

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 8:00pm
nice, is it coming to salt fork this weekend?
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 8:04pm
a job well done and i'm sure very satisfying to do it yourself
shaken not stirred
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 8:23pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 8:25pm
Looks Awesome!!!
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 9:23pm
Nice work. Nice shop!
83Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Not sure yet the wifey likes the '95 better with the kids.(her boat)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Paul,
You have "his" and "hers" boats? Wow!!! In the Brainard household, All I can call "hers" is the damn PWC she bought! It's a 1990 500 Seadoo and it's actually not going in the water this year. Last summer, when I was winterizing all the boats, the damn thing would not start. I understand the ignition system is on the weak side on the 500's. The high end spark plugs have gotten me through many years but now it's time to take it in. I refuse to work on the thing standing on my head with said head in a black hole!!!

Any help/input on the 500's?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:07pm
Pete
2 stroke or 4. Are the plugs getting wet(fuel) Those carbs can clog up right quick.
I'm not sure about the '90s but when I had my '01 600 it had to run the recommended plugs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:31pm
Paul.
It's a 2 stroke. The Platinum Spark Plugs for at least 5 years have held up damn good. The ignition system on the 500 is so weak that the fall fogging will not allow a spring start. The cure is a new set of plugs. The platinum plugs are the proper replacements for the originals per the charts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:34pm
WOW you got 5 years out of a set of plugs on a 2 stroke!!! Send some of that luck my way
I always figure a new set a year in our 2 stroke sleds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:39pm

WOW you got 5 years out of a set of plugs on a 2 stroke!!! Send some of that luck my way
I always figure a new set a year in our 2 stroke sleds.

Paul,
No No No!!!! The plugs were replaced EVERY year!! That's why I mentioned the damn thing would not start on fogged plugs from the previous fall!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:39am
Paul - Great job, you will get many compliments at the ramp!

Pete - does she pull a tube with it?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 12:41am
Gottcha
On fall start up I usually pull the plugs shoot a shot of starter fluid in each hole.(if you can shoot it through the carb it's even better to get it down in the crankcase)
Then a few wide open throttle pulls to get the carbs fuel bowls filling. Then one more shot of starter fluid replace plugs and they usually fire right up.
I think using the starter fluid for the first couple pulls helps thin the oil and helps the sled light off the oil.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 1:20am
Great job!! The boat looks great! A classic color combination.
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 2:13am
Paul,

Would you care to elaborate on the process you went through to install the rub rail, I have to do this on a 1997 Sport and have heard you need to heat it up in a bath or hot water, did you use this method? I just can not see how warm water will enable this to stretch at all. How many people did you need to install that new rub rail? I wish it was just easier but then it would not be a boat right. Thanks again everyone on here for there help with all matters correct craft.

Steve
Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 2:13am
Sorry and by the way the boat looks great!!
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 6:25am
That looks shiny...
Great job!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

That looks shiny...
Great job!

Paul,
I agree. It looks fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 10:52am
That boat is looking pretty darn good Paul! The only problem I see is that both of your boats are getting close to perfect... you won't have anything to work on. Don't worry... I can drop off one or two of my boat backlog to keep you busy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 11:11am
Steve,
I did it by myself.
The first thing I did is fill all the old holes with thickened epoxy resin using a big syringe tube. I took a small drill bit and enlarged the hole slightly. I sprayed WD-40 on the plunger to help it slide and keep the resin from sticking to it. I had to refill it three times to do all the holes. Once all the holes were filled I took a putty knife and smoothed out the resin that oozed out of the holes. It worked great.
I then took masking tape and laid out(every 3")where I was going to drill so I wouldn't hit the old holes or cap rivets.
I then put the roll of rub rail on a chair with wheels and as I rolled the rub rail out I used stripes of duct tape to hold it in place. There is no need to warm it up just go 1 screw at a time in sequence and the slack will push forward. You will have to adjust where you taped it as the slack pushes forward.
I used two drills one to drill the holes and the other to run the screws in with.
To install the rope I used the 1/2" copper pipe trick with a slight bend to guide the rope into the groove.
187 screws and 4-5 beers later it was done.

Here's the big syringe I used

Here you can see the lay out marks above the rub rail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 11:17am
Joe
send'em on down we'll get them shined up after a run two...enty in the river
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 11:50am

ya better bring the 95 that way you dont make my 86 look so shabby.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 11:56am
Love your Cincinnati Bengals boat, great color scheme!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Love your Cincinnati Bengals boat, great color scheme!

Bengals went to gray on gray?????
I thought they were prissy pumpkin orange and black
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 8:10pm
Paul,

Thanks for the explanation on the rub rail install, I just could not find on here anyone that had documented it. I truly appreciate it and your method sounds alot easier than heating the thing up. I have filled all my holes so I will probably attempt it this weekend.

Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:32am
Steve
Also when your putting in your screws just snug them up secure. If you run them in two tight you'll get bulges in the side of the rail. Theres plenty of screws to hold it solid so they dont have to be to tight just snug.
Good luck with yours.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:44am
Paul, it looks great. Info on your decals and pinstripe source (TimD?) is appreciated, they look like an exact match. Did you have trouble lining up the shadow graphic after the main was placed?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
87nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 3:37pm
Hi,
I have an 87 nautique, grey hull and black lettering. Where did you get the rope to replace the rail? How much did you get? What diameter is rope?
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 4:03pm
Paul, nice work, looking good! Now that the boats are done time to get that siding up on your boat barn!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic