NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2000 Sport Keypad help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2000 Sport Keypad help
    Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:07am
Sportys blower, bilge, and whatever else works but we can't get it to run into acc mode or start. We've tried the code that worked when we bought the boat. The code seems dead. The boat feels like it's in locked mode. Any advice? Is there a factory reset code?

-Mike
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:16am
First thought was the keypads dead due to it giving us trouble when it had gotten wet on the boats trip here. The green lights light on code number pushes though leading me to believe that the keypad is still okay...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 9:47am
Dealer will have a master code I think. What about a bad NSS?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 9:53am
Any dealer or the one the boat came from? And forgive me but what's NSS... Neutral Safety Switch? Forbsome reason I thought the boat would turn over with that still bad. It's a possibility though.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 10:08am
The original dealer yes. I believe that's how they can test and service peoples boat w/o trying to remember everyones code. Yes,Neutral Safety Switch. Wiggle the throttle back and forth, after entering code for secound time and trying to start it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

And forgive me but what's NSS... Neutral Safety Switch? Forbsome reason I thought the boat would turn over with that still bad. It's a possibility though.

Yes, the NSS is the neutral safety switch.

Note the position of the NSS in the wiring diagram. It's not in the ignition circuit but rather in the start (crank) circuit.

Diagram courtesy of Tim:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 11:27am
Thanks for the help so far guys. Wish I didn't have to work today so I could mess with it.

1. I'm going to try to obtain the factory code for it today. (Original dealer?)

2. Check NSS

2. What about a bad battery? Haven't checked it yet, just assumed it was good because it was used a week ago with no issues + blower and bilge work fine (those don't take much juice though)

3. What does the kill switch do if it's not hooked up? Should the boat turn over/try to start?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 12:13pm
Not sure if the MPEFI boats utilize the NSS in the same way that the simpler carb'd boats do, but if so, if the NSS will keep the engine from cranking at all (its in line with the 12v start signal coming from the ignition switch).

The kill switch, if disconnected, will only keep the boat from starting. It will still crank (and crank and crank).

If the '00-02 keypads are like the '03+ ones, then you can tell when the code has been accepted, without attempting to start the engine. It sounds like youre never getting to that point... so either you forgot your code, forgot how to enter it properly, or it somehow reset itself. I know the '03+ would not accept the keypad inputs if the bilge pump switch was in the incorrect position, but if youre getting a flash of light with each keystroke, then that doesnt sound like the problem.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:25pm
The blower always works w/out entering the code. As crazy as it seems, it sounds like you are entering the wrong code, especially if you are seeing the green lights when you enter the code.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:27pm
I know Scott!!! (yelling in agreement)

To our knowledge we are entering the correct code. Granted, we haven't used the code since the day we brought the boat home. It is however, the same code we used on that day.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:30pm
Hey scott, there are two green lights, one on the left of the code numbers and one on the right. The right one lights on number press. The left one is dark...is that a bad sign or normal?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:47pm
If its like the '03+ version, that sounds normal... the 2nd light will illuminate once the correct code has been entered. Youre pressing the "start" button before and after entering the code, correct? I agree, that it sounds like youre entering the wrong code!

You left the code entered all last year? So anyone could come up and start the boat at any time just by pressing the start button? Thats like leaving the keys in the ignition.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 1:51pm
Yes Tim, we never entered the code last year. The 90, for all 20 years we owned it never had it's key taken out of the ignition. Why?

Wonder if our code got reset somehow. I'm not ruling out a completely dead battery cell either...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:00pm
If the battery was dead dead, the lights wouldnt be lighting up at all, and the blower wouldnt run. You should be able to tell if the code got entered right (all ign driven accessories will come to life- gauges, etc) even if the engine wont crank.

Still sounds like youre entering the code incorrectly! Its possible it reset itself... but dad's '03 never did, and he took the battery out every winter. So I sort of doubt it.

Im in a remote town in a nice area... and generally dont have to worry about locking my doors either. But when the boat is on the lift all week while Im at work, I do go so far as to take the keys out. If yours is locked in the garage, I guess I can see that. I also take them out when the boats on the trailer... I worry about a little kid or a crazy person at the gas station wandering over to the boat and pressing the buttons while Im in the bathroom or some such nonsense.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:01pm
I thought the code was supposed to time out after so many hours of keypad not being touched.

Wait, just double-checked. That only happens if you don't start the boat w/in 15min after first entering run mode w/out starting the engine.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:08pm
Thanks again for the help

Got off the phone with a dealer (think its the one the boat came from) He started giving me the factory reset code for the boat and I finished it for him. It's the same code we've been trying.

He votes for bad keypad beings we're entering the correct code. He gave me Larry Shay's (sp) contact info at some CC place somewhere. He indicates Larry is the electronics expert.

Very odd that the keypad died sitting in the garage for a week.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:13pm
I don't know anything about these, other than the Joel mentioned replacing his key pad pod at some point. If I can find that thread, I'll post it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:15pm
Pretty sure my insurance agent doesnt read this...

Nothing pisses me off more than someone taking the key out of my boat.. the only person that has ever stopped from using my boat is me, when I can't find the key!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:32pm
Mike, can't you bypass the keypad all together and just add an ignition button? It might not be the best long term fix, but will have you on the water cheaper and quicker than replacing the whole keypad.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:33pm
Mike, I found that thread I was talking about

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19837&PN=1&title=electrical-we-need-help

Look familiar at all?

Did you ever fully get it sorted last year? It sounds like you might have a buggy key pod on your hands.

Are these things basically a glorified key switch? Or do the tentacles reach deeper into the system?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:34pm
Check out this video at the 1:50 mark...

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:40pm
back up starter he says in the video..hmmmmmmmmm

He has the same code, and enters the same way I have tried.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:59pm
Not sure how you would go about wiring something like that, but it may help get you on the water since I'm sure you're in the thick of show ski season.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:00pm
Show tomorrow! lol we have back up boats prepared...

Brian and I are going to tear it apart tonight. I emailed the youtube poster about how he did his key under the dash. I like that a lot. Really leaning towards the bad pad though.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Are these things basically a glorified key switch? Or do the tentacles reach deeper into the system?

Deeper than the dash buttons. IIRC it's a digital signal transferred from the keypad to the control module (which verifies the code, flips relays to turn the ignition on, etc.). Hotwiring the keypad wires will do no good. All the accessories are turned on and off by relays in the control module. It's a pretty comprehensive system. Converting to a keyed ignition while still keeping the accessories working right via relay might be a somewhat big job but it's been done.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:18pm
Don't hack it up that nice boat, the keypad is 12 years old just replace it if that's what they say the problem is.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:20pm
We might not be hacking it up Alan, after Joel rained on the parade!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:57pm
If you watch that video, the guy had already energized his dash, when he hit his backup starter button.

I wonder if that back-up starter button is as simple as
a constant hot (from battery etc.) > Horn type switch > to parallel wire to Starter relay/NSS

In this case, the ignition relays would already be fired up, so this might not help Mike unless his dash will "wake up" but just not crank the starter.

I agree, though, no sense hacking anything, just curious.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 6:00pm
$360.00 at WhiteLake, but I'm guessing you already know that by now.

Keypad
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

If you watch that video, the guy had already energized his dash, when he hit his backup starter button.

I wonder if that back-up starter button is as simple as
a constant hot (from battery etc.) > Horn type switch > to parallel wire to Starter relay/NSS

Brian,
I agree. Your wiring idea is logical.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic