NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hoist question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoist question
    Posted: October-19-2005 at 12:48am
Headed out soon to pickup my American Skier. Not having owned an inboard, are there any different adjustments I need to consider on my ShoreStation hoist that are not an issue with my I/O.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 9:25am
The only difference i can think of, is weight distribution. The I/O will be heavier in the stern than the DD.
ozark skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozark skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 9:32am
My father in law bent up a prop pretty good when he tried to lift the neighbor's inboard on his lift. The I/O that usually sits on the lift doesn't have anything under the boat. His I/O is about 5 feet longer than the inboard they were trying to lift so the lower unit was never close to the lift. Had they not pulled the ski boat up so far into the slip they may have been OK. His bunks are not very "tall" above the supports on the lift and the prop landed right on one of these supports. Luckily they caught it before the lift was all the way out of the water or they might have bent the shaft too. This is probably not a concern with an American Skier, but I'll bet the bunks on this particular lift would land right under the P.P. paddle wheel on my boat and probably crush it.
20 years from now you'll regret what you didn't do more than what you did do, so throw off the bow lines and sail away from the harbor. Paraphrased from Mark Twain.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 9:34am
Depending upon the style of hoist their is a big difference. If it is a canterlever hoist then it will not work, you will need a vertical lift hoist. Also it depends if it is v'ed or straight across the bunks (side to side). if it's v'ed no problem if it is stright then you while most likely have to raise the bunks. you have to keep in mind the prop and shaft are under the boat now and not hanging off of the back.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 10:53am
It is a vertical lift hoist...4500lb capacity. And it does have a "V" design.

Once I get the boat up here I'll see if I need to raise the bunks. It would appear this is all that would be necessary to allow clearance for the propshaft, etc...

Not sure how to post a pic...I'll figure that out and post the hoist pic.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 12:47pm
It sounds like you may not need to do anything at all with the style you have. What you will need to check is the distance between the bunks from side to side, try and get them as close to the stringer width as possible lining up the inside edge of the bunks to the inside edge of the stringer. If you have a stop that some have with I/O's siteup's that have the u shaped bar that bumps up against the outdrive you'll want to remove it. I doubt that you will have to mess with the bunk height but maybe. If there is someone else on your lake that has the same type of lift and a simular boat, then you might be able to get some measurements from theirs and compare it to yours.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 2:11pm
Here are a couple pictures of my hoist. Don't know much about it, as it's my first hoist. I bought it from the folks next door. Midwest Industry tells me it's not older than 4 years, as determined from the color of the carpet on the bunks.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/allpics/>
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 2:17pm
That hoist is going to be problematic due to probable interference with the underwater gear. Most DD boat lifts have a "U" shaped section in the middle for underwater gear clearance.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 2:43pm
It appears I still have some more vertical adjustment remaining on the bunks, but only one more notch which is only going to get me another couple of inches, which might not be enough.

I may just have some pilings driven in the spring, behind the angled portion of my dock and install a permanent lift for the ski boat, and keep this hoist for my I/O.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 4:51pm
I believe you'll be fine with what you have. I have had mine up on one just like this without a problem, you just don't want the boat too far forward. The bunks can be a couple of inches short of the transom and not have a problem and give you plunty of clearance. You'll have to have a bow stop or a refernace point on the side rails to know where to positon the boat. Just take it slow and adjust it as you go and you'll be fine. I would suggest that you measure width of the bunks on the trailer and tranfer this measurement to the bunks on the lift. Don't worry about the height issue just yet, having it has high as possible isn't always a good thing because the bracing can bend easier, mechanical advantage type of thing ya know.

Line up the boat and get in the water and look at it as someone else raises the lift slowly, start with the transom even with the back of the bunks and check clearance until the bunks make contact with the hull, obviously if it is going to hit the prop shaft then use your judement and slide the boat back a little or raise the bunks. Now you will have to keep dunking your head into the water to see better just have the person cranking the lift go a turn or two at a time once it is close to making contact. but once you get it up then you can add a stop of some sort. I've seen guys that tie a rope to the side bunks with a hook in the center and attach it to the bow eyelet then takes out the slack in the line and your set. Good luck hope this helps out.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2005 at 6:17pm
Well, all that sounds good. Prly mess around with it in the spring. Likely just grab the boat and store it.

Still working out the details, but it's likely I'll setup a jet dock or permanent hoist for the ski boat.

details, details....

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2005 at 12:33am
I have a flotation based lift rather than a bottom based shorestation. No changes were required. However, I do need to ensure that I don't pull the inboard too far forward because there is a steel crossbar which can hit the rudder or prop if one is not careful. There's never a problem floating the boat in as it goes below the water sufficiently for clearance. Just if positioned incorrectly, the lift can be raised up into the running gear.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2005 at 8:50am
I have looked into the hydro hoists, and they are nice. I likely don't have quite enough draft to sink a hydro hoist, especially later in the season as the water level drops. And they are quite bulky.

I think some piliings and a permanent lift will ultimately be the way to go.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 3:20am
how deep????

4 corners with 2" pipe cross pined!!!!.02 need more.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 8:52am
Ultra,

I took a look at your lift and think you'll have problems if you don't raise your bunks.

I just finished building a lift for a 2005 196 SN and the design was set up on two 10' W6 by 15#/FT beams with a vertical hoist. The beams are spaced 9' apart perpindicular to the boat. The critical area is when the 3 fins drive over the rear beam entering the slip. This boat measured the fins at 13" below the trailer bunks so I welded 15" tall square tubing risers with the bunks bolted on top resulting in about 17" of clearance. Also a 3" by 3" by 3/8" angle as a side loading support tieing the square tubing to the beam for good measure.

Our 16' Mustang also fits in the lift as-is. The only adjustment (per individual boat) is the distance between the beams. Both SN's like support behind the engine (of course) and right behind or under the drivers seat...too far forward and you catch the "V" in the hull and twists the bunk. I made the front bunk support "rocker" so that just about any boat will lift in this set-up and SN's hulls are not exactly flat so allowing the bunks to rotate is essential.

We've picked up our 2 SN's and a cousins MC (sorry about that) as well as jet ski's to remove rope out of the impellors with this set-up and it's very safe.

Bolted to the top of the beams (15" below the bunks but on the outside of the hull) runing the length of the boat are 2" by 8" by 12' bunks so you can stand on the boards and wax the boat while it's in the lift and these boards have really turned out to be handy.

Good Luck
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2005 at 9:26am
64 skier, could you send me some pictures?

thanks
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 4:22am
I'll try and get a few posted. I'm out of the country, but will have my cousin snap a few.

Sorry, but I'm a better welder than computer/camera guy...but I'll get you something since my description of what to do was probably hard to visualize.
64 Skier
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 10:40am
Thanks 64, I'll look forward to seeing what you fabricated.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2005 at 8:45am
Ultra,

Can you send me your email. I can't figure out how to post these pictures.
64 Skier
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic