NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another 1980 Stringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another 1980 Stringer
    Posted: March-30-2014 at 11:25am
Then my new 4" conduit to replace the 3" pushed me over too far and I ended up breaking my plywood bulkhead piece. I had played around with making one with gelcoat layer (painted on a piece of plastic) and two layers of 17 oz biax on either side of a piece of cloth - when it was done I thought it was a it too flimsy so stayed with the plywood - until it broke anyway. Since this bulkhead is backed by foam I decided it was suddenly good enough.

Cutting the air box area with a saw was easy enough but if I was to do it again I might make a nice form to fill with foam to get it a bit smoother. I elected to go with no wood at all as I do not plan to puts screws through the glass - I will glass pieces externally to screw the kick-plat piece to.
1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2000/2001 Glen-L 'Squirt'

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2014 at 11:13am
Foaming..... Used the 4 lb density foam from US Composites. Had a couple pieces of plastic left over from the seat base which I used to help control the foam expansion. For the most part it worked very well. If I had taken a little more time and cut pieces to use as forms in the smaller and curvier (if that's a word) I would have had almost no waste. As it was I think I only had a couple ft3 wastage.

renamed photos for the 4th time as system still thinks I have already uploaded!

1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 5:27pm
Trying to post some pics of foaming but has crashed twice now so will try later.......

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 4:51pm
I made a new battery box to replace what I had cut out - that also turned out to be a lot more work than I bargained for. Made a plug with the two part foam, but only loosely lined the old box with plastic so the plug was pretty rough and took a bunch of bondo to try and get it to look half okay. In the end a couple layers of cloth was too flimsy so went over it again with 2-3 layers of biax and it turned out pretty good.

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 4:39pm
Also did it for the rudder backing and the rear lifting ring backing - but that was as complicated as it got - tried on the stringers and it was too difficult (for me) to get it all sealed. Plus the venturi vacuum system probably doesn't have near enough air flow.

(The system doesn't want to upload pictures for me right now, complaining already uploaded one of that name, maybe because I tried earlier and it crashed?)

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 4:34pm
Over the last year I thought I would compensate for my lack of fibre-glassing skill by trying vacuum bagging.

First effort placed some reinforcement on an area of the keel where the gel has been rubbed completely off.

which should mean I won't have to worry about it for the gel coat repair...

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 4:29pm
Over a year since posting - but the project is still going on and the end is 'near'.

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 3:11am
current status (doesn't look much different but sure takes some time.....

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 3:06am
Oh - and no, photos were posted straight to the forum not on photobucket

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 3:04am
Just measured the old pieces and need 24" for the sides so ned twice the floor lenght (or 2.5 times) - jeez went from a pretty good deal to wow thats a bunch of $$. need to check out a few more options.

2006 Malibu LSV
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 10:59pm
If you had them on photobucket,did you delete them?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 9:47pm
... and does anyone know why the photos have all seemed to disappear from page 2 of this post (or is it just me?)

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 9:46pm
Tim - I did keep the original carpet. The vinyl is all getting replaced too (in fact i have the seats all sitting in the basement ready to go - just the motor box to have the vinyl (from Christines) installed - once I have the carpet.

So I will roll it out in the garage to measure tonight (and be sweeping up pieces of carpet for weeks I am sure).

Pete - I am keeping it 'pretty much original' - converting to GPS speedos though(Dean has both my airguide and electro-marine speedos right now).

2006 Malibu LSV
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you want to stick with an original style carpet (blue astroturf) you can get it at Marine Carpeting.

Yes, stick with the original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 6:26pm
Hopefully you saved your old carpet to use as a template? If so, then lay it out on the floor and see if you can arrange them in such a way that would allow you to get all 3 pieces out of a '8 width. I suspect you'd run short.

The carpet is sewn to the motorbox vinyl... so thats a challenge if youre replacing with a different color/style than you had before.
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 6:14pm
I was trying to figure out if one 8' wide piece can be cut for the floor pluss the two sides. An the 1980 does have the carpet at the bottem of the motor box too.

2006 Malibu LSV
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 6:06pm
CC 3-pieced the carpet (floor + 2 sides)... they didnt wrap from the floor to walls. 6' width would be fine, but I'd order 2.5x the boat length. 1x for each (floor + walls) and then some left over to do all of your panels up front against the airbox, in front of the gas tank, batt box cover, etc. Running short and having to reorder more would be a PITA (and cost you more).

If you want to stick with an original style carpet (blue astroturf) you can get it at Marine Carpeting.

Does your '80 have carpet on the bottom of the motorbox? Something else to add to the list if it does.
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 5:57pm
Hi all - been working away glassing in the stringers and now pretty much done except to cap them all. More on that later - quick question as I see nautique skins has carpet on special - is an 8' piece going to do the floor (max width 5') plus both sides? I am not able to measure right now but I thought it would work. I have the pieces to measure but thought some with experience with 1980 size boats (seem the same size mid 70 to 81?)- I know it would be tight but ordering twice as much seems overkill?

2006 Malibu LSV
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2013 at 5:16pm
Well, after a week of procrastinating got back to the stripped manifold bolt - against Pete's advice I tried drilling it first - two worn out bits and a cramp in my arm was about all I got for that effort. Broke out my (brand new - another project tool) dremel and kind of laughed at the mini cutting wheel that came with it!

Wow - that was easy - that cut the head off in like 10 minutes - if I hadn't broken the two wheels that came with the dremel and had to run out for more it would have been sooo easy. After the head was off the bolt the manifold came off no issue and putting vice grips on (cut a bit of a flat spot to help them grip) bolt was out.

I was very sceptical about how well that dremel would cut the hard steel - well I am certainly a believer now. What a great tool.

Well - maybe concentrate on some epoxy/glassing for the next while. It is -28C (-24F) out right now but supposed to warm up a bunch by the weekend.

2006 Malibu LSV
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 1:06pm
Hers's a link to the Squirt.

Glenwood Squirt
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Originally posted by ski-guy ski-guy wrote:

yes - built the squirt a while ago when my kids were much smaller - doesn't get much use now but no-one will let me get rid of it.....

I really like that squirt. I am very tempted to try something like that in the next year or two. My boys will soon be the right age to help with a project like that.

Glenwood makes some pretty neat designs.If this would be a first time build I recommend a Stitch 'N' Glue boat. They are fairly simple and go together pretty quick. So younger minds stay interested and see an end in sight.

Glen-L Main Page

Stitch "n" Glue Boats

A friend of mine at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri knew Glen and said that most of the designs go together as advertised.

Glenwood publishes some pretty good books on boatbuilding in wood, fiberglass, and metal. Very informative. And their hardware catalog has parts that I hadn't seen outside of museum pieces in a number of years.

Way cool.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 12:40pm
Though stringers are in my future too...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 12:38pm

yes - built the squirt a while ago when my kids were much smaller - doesn't get much use now but no-one will let me get rid of it.....

I really like that squirt. I am very tempted to try something like that in the next year or two. My boys will soon be the right age to help with a project like that.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 2:19am
Pete and everyone - thanks for all the input. Probably won't get back at it for a week or more but will let you know how it goes.....

2006 Malibu LSV
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 10:16pm

I missed this conversation until now but had been looking for drill bits since mine didn't touch the bolt (thought I just had cheap bits)- was going to try some left hand bits thinking it might work the bolt out during drilling?. I don't have a dremel but I can get hold of one I am sure (another project tool) but what kind of blade can you get for that to cut the hard steel? It always seemed like such a little tool (if only my 4" grinder would fit).

Chuck,
Dremel has a small abrasive cut off wheel that's about 1&1/2" in diameter. It will fit into tight areas. Check it to see if it would work. Besides the cut off, you could try some mounted stones in the Dremel. It won't be quick but they will grind the head off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:37pm
Pete,

Would Lubriplate or some other thread anti seizing lubricant keep this from happening again & at the same time allow enough torque to keep the bolt from backing out?

What about using thread lubricant and a bolt locking device similar to what is used on high performance auto engines for headers?

thanks,

Tony
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:28pm
Pete,

okay, point taken.

Stop beating me up, already.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:27pm
Pete,

okay, point taken.
1974 Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

If I understand you correctly, the "hex bolt" you referring to has an inside hex, correct? I was thinking hex bolt as in hexagonal shaped head.

If it's a inside hex, then yes, those are typically heat treated bolts and will require a pretty stout drill bit and a lot of time.

Tony

Stripped the 5/16 hex on one of the exhaust manifold bolts.   

Tony,
What size bolt uses a 5/16" hex head?? I doubt his manifolds are held on with 10-32 or 10-24 machine screws!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 5:35pm
I wasn't getting the nomenclature.

Sorry, Pete.

"Nomenclature, nomenclature!" as my old aircraft hardware instructor used to say.
1974 Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic