NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 14>
Author
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 8:19am
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !!

Saw a few of those when I made my trip to the US... Funny to see they are Dodges over there... That exact same van is the Mercedes Sprinter over here. Very common van here.

Great pics and trip. Looking forward on the next episode of this adventure...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !!

Saw a few of those when I made my trip to the US... Funny to see they are Dodges over there... That exact same van is the Mercedes Sprinter over here. Very common van here.

Great pics and trip. Looking forward on the next episode of this adventure...

Hey Kristof, They are all made by Mercedes however here they are sold under the names of all three, including Freightliner. Same van and confusing. I love the mileage and comfort for a utility vehicle.

Glad you are enjoying my adventures with the new fin boat which rightfully deserves to be named Nomad.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:58am
I love the name.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2012 at 12:02am
As the summer winds down I have begun to make some small progress on the nomadic fin boat. With every intention of taking her south to winter over in Florida, the trailer with the broken spring was a priority. It has been repaired like new and just the hubs need servicing now. I found it near impossible to do a good repair with the boat loaded so I blocked it up and slid the trailer out. This accomplished I realized my opportunity was presented to get at least a coat of paint on the bottom. Not an easy chore ever but necessary. I have just started priming the bottom and will soon be filling screw holes and then the final coat. Pictures soon.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 10:04pm
You can't see it but she's smiling...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 10:27pm
Jack,
How do all the seams look? Are the screw fills popping due to the skin being loose to the frames or do you think just a moisture issue? Keep going!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 7:48pm
If you take the picture from the right angle, you can't even see the painted decks!! I can tell that she is smiling from here Jack. Keep up the great work and pictures!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
How do all the seams look? Are the screw fills popping due to the skin being loose to the frames or do you think just a moisture issue? Keep going!!

Pete, the skins seem to be pretty solid. I didn't give it the restoration type bottom treatment. just wanted to upkeep the bottom. Like most of em this age it would probably feel real happy with a 5200 job but not on my watch for this one. I hope to enjoy it for a while.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:26pm
More photos = more enjoyment. She looks great on blocks. All of the unique lines are visable without the trailer. I think I have fallen in love with the Nomad.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

If you take the picture from the right angle, you can't even see the painted decks!! I can tell that she is smiling from here Jack. Keep up the great work and pictures!

Hey Brian, Thought you'd be looking in to see if any progress. Still pushing to get boat and owner down to FL for the winter. Perhaps the meet at Dora? The painted decks do curse the boat for sure and that improvement will be the single most important one done in the near future.

By the way...was reading with earnest(read, wishing I was there)the article this weekend on Woody Boater about the Mahogany and Merlot annual event at Lake Chelan. Took me a couple reads to realize that you were in the article with I guess your Dad and cruising in that fine Tollycraft you have done such a nice job on. I expect to be at that event in the future so may see you there. It can be a very nice time of year in your part of the country.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

More photos = more enjoyment. She looks great on blocks. All of the unique lines are visable without the trailer. I think I have fallen in love with the Nomad.

I agree John, the boat takes on a different appearance than when on the trailer. Sort of like a swan with an attitude LOL. I do thank you for your interest and input.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2012 at 11:41pm
Where is the ole fin boat now?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2012 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

Where is the ole fin boat now?

Well, I'll take a guess at this one and would have to say it's safe and sound at home with Jack in East Granby, ct. It does pay to read entire threads!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2012 at 12:24am
Sorry Pete but I've got a gut feeling finner is in fla.

Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2012 at 11:34am
Burton seems to have some privileged information. It is true Big Whitey and the Nomad headed down the big north south turnpike to Oak Hill, Fl where Nomad will winter over and have her deck restored   Once I get her over to Orlando the big circle will be complete

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2012 at 12:08pm
.just a couple teasers.......

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2012 at 1:40am
Another fin boat?
This looks similar! Only $24,997.00 more nice photos in the ad.

Feebay fin boat

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 1:03am
John, I like this boat but I like mine better. Less bells and whistles and more raw HP LOL. I do however hope the seller gets his price as it helps all CC woody owners in asset appreciation. The Florida weather has been good to both me and the fin boat and progress is being made on the deck fore and aft. A few pictures to follow any day now.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 2:29am
I find it really interesting that the motor cover on the ebay boat has a bump up in it too. It looks more like a late model Atom like I posted a photo of a while back. The trim on your boat makes the fins look a little more pronounced. I wouldn't wine about having either one on my lift! If I owned it I would pay money to lose the deck horns and spot light, but that is just my taste.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 11:22am
Good eye John. You picked out the things I like least about it also. My fins might be a bit higher but they are narrower at the bottom which makes a big difference in the look. I venture a guess that some of the chrome accessories and edging are not from the factory and the same applies to the cut-water.

This boat does offer a good example of bleached and natural finished areas referred to as "blond". I intend to do a similar treatment to mine with the new deck. Can't remember if it's Okume or Meranti marine plywood but I hope it gives a similar end result.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 11:34am
That boat is in the Diaries at least twice. What I like about that boat is that it has a 360 big block and that is why it has the bump up in the motor box. That's got to be one of the nicest wood Correct Craft in existance.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:02pm
That 360 is a bruiser Bruce. No doubt both boats move right along. Can't wait to get mine out on the water. The Atom is a couple feet shorter so the 327 is a lot of motor crammed into a small sled. I am thinking they will perform similar. It is still a beauty as you say even after JohnB and I get done picking it apart.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:07pm
As far as all the optional bells and whistles, we are talking about an early 60's boat with fins...lol

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:57pm
....got me laughing on that one Bruce. Seriously, the fins are a necessity!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 2:53pm
I am sure they were the precurser to the modern tracking fins!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2012 at 10:05pm
They always come apart easier than they go together....

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2012 at 11:33am
I am assembling the materials to reinstall the deck material in the next few weeks. I plan to fit and route out the details on the marine plywood and then CPES the bottom before installation. For the top treatment I will bleach first then stain the outer edges as it was to begin. Several questions follow;

-original fasteners were copper ring nails. I intend to use the same for the reinstall. Good idea, yes/no?

-what adhesive is best to adhere decking to frames?

-best stain-able hole filler?

- eventually need a grain filler that can be used in both the blond areas and the dark areas around the edge. some are already dark in color but think I need a stain-able type?

-need suggestions as to what stain color would be a reasonable match for the dark areas?

Thanks for any input

FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2012 at 2:59pm
Looking great Jack! Did you find any reason for the doubled up layer under the wind shield? Looks like the deck under was still intact.

The Tolly that we finished last year had plywood decks that were originally attached with ring shank nails. We used 5200 and micro pin nails since I didn't like the look of a 5d nail head in all that bright work. For the larger attachment points, we used Famo-wood filler which took the stain and varnish very well.

Looking foward to hear what others have to recommend for the grain filler on the blond areas as well as stain colors for the remainder. We just used Chris Craft colors on the Tolly which I love the color of but eager to hear if there is a true consensus on what Correct Craft colors are.

Keep up the great work and update photos!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

Looking great Jack! Did you find any reason for the doubled up layer under the wind shield? Looks like the deck under was still intact.

Thanks for the reply Brian.I think the PO did the patch to cover the bad crack on the port side as you may see in my pictures. Seems like the black paint may have been used to cover the brown adhesive used extensively to fill voids. I plan to use the 5200 where I can however on the fin areas I have wood on wood and no metal edging to cover the seam so I am worried that and 5200 that shows up in that seam would not take finish. Perhaps I'll 5200 in the center of the board and epoxy around the edges. Time will tell.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2012 at 11:26am

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 14>
  Share Topic