Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26063
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 9:27am

Topic: 1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition
Posted By: juniorwoody
Subject: 1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition
Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:04am
Had a great visit today with Brian our resident fin boat enthusiast. I have been looking at his Atom Skier fin boat for some time and finally dropped him a line to see if it still was on the market. Though he had not been aggressively trying to sell he did still have it and as I was coming out here this month I decided to have a look. The rest is history. So, sometime in July I plan to drive west from CT and tow the newest acusition home, no small adventure in itself. Perhaps someone needs a boat taken west as it would be a shame to go out empty. More to come. Boat fever strikes again LOL.

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Replies:
Posted By: bwinn
Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 11:52am
Nice werk!

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 1:04pm
Nice- nothing like a good road trip!

Wish you were coming back empty instead of heading out... Im sure I could find something that needs to be dragged back east.

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 1:20pm
What a great road trip. You ought to grab this while your out there! I'd ask you to grab it for me, but I'm trying to have some self restraint and finish the project's we've got going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906864493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906864493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What a great road trip. You ought to grab this while your out there! I'd ask you to grab it for me, but I'm trying to have some self restraint and finish the project's we've got going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906864493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906864493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That's a fine looking power plant Bruce. What does restraint have to do with boat fever. Go ahead and pull the trigger I dare you. I need an excuse to visit an old Vietnam buddy in Cali.

Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:07pm
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/5ed32241.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/90c09845.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/7d7fd428.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/bc706db9.jpg

Date Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:10pm

Posted By: FINS
Date Posted: May-22-2012 at 12:06am
What a great time visiting with Jack and his wife. This Atom has been sitting quietly under the carport waiting its turn in the shop. Jack is going to give it a great home and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Now I can get back to work on the '59 Atom. Maybe a reunion between the two restored boats at some point!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2262&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1925&yrend=1960" rel="nofollow - 59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: May-28-2012 at 2:55pm
While on the subject of fins I couldn't stop myself from taking this pic out on the Hood Canal. I know it's not a boat so inappropriate but here it is.....

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: May-28-2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Nice- nothing like a good road trip!

Wish you were coming back empty instead of heading out... Im sure I could find something that needs to be dragged back east.

Ditto!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3039512184.html" rel="nofollow - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3039512184.html

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2012 at 2:20pm
Good looking hot rod boat. Bet it would give one heck of a ride. Time to get a doubly tier boat hauler like on I saw years ago. Had a guy in CT that restored Cris Crafts and he had a boat hauler just for delivery of up to three boats. Our here in Seattle there are many interesting water craft. Th e hydroplane museum is on my bucket list this visit. Only a few days left here before I return to CT and get my van packed for the big ride.

Date Posted: June-04-2012 at 1:23pm
Road trip is in the works. Gona be a long one. The plan is to have the fin boat safely home in CT around the fourth of July. Maybe a bit later. I will stick to I90 most of the way though I am considering taking a loop around to see the bad lands and back through Sturgis. I would like advise from those who have hauled boats long distances and what to anticipate. The bearings will be serviced before leaving Seattle. I do plan to pack them at least once on the way back east also. Two new tires and rims will hopefully bolt on. These purchased recently from the tractor store.

Any advice?

-------------
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-04-2012 at 1:41pm
Jack,
Ask Brian to get a set of Bearing Buddy's on the trailer hubs. You won't be putting it in the water when they are really needed but they will keep a constant supply of grease to the hub bearings on the road.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-05-2012 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
Ask Brian to get a set of Bearing Buddy's on the trailer hubs. You won't be putting it in the water when they are really needed but they will keep a constant supply of grease to the hub bearings on the road.

Will do on that Pete. I think they may be on there already. I plan to drop new bearings on each side before heading out. Have been discussing the logistics of that with Brian and he has offered to check the wiring. I tell you I couldn't have bought a boat from a better person. There is a comraderie amongst CC owners the likes of which I've only experienced with my other hobby group which are the beekeepers. Started the motor vehicle department today to see about getting the stuff registered.

-------------

Date Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:25pm
Here is how it traveled from Southern California to Seattle several years ago. I had no idea what the trailer condition was like and really did not want to take the chance since I only had two days to make the trip.

It does have bearing buddies on it now and I am going to be pulling them, cleaning it all up, check the axle and mounts, and then install all fresh so Jack is ready to just hook on and go. The trailer is really an well built unit and the boat sits really low so it should tow great. What a great circle route this little boat has taken. At some point it left Florida and made its way to LA, then up to Seattle, now headed East and eventually back to Florida. Oh the stories it could tell!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2262&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1925&yrend=1960" rel="nofollow - 59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:28pm
Is the ole finner eastbound?!

Date Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:48am
As of about 11:00am PST Jack and the little Atom Skier headed...South. Well at least for a little bit, just down to Portland and then hang a left on 84 and start the long journey East. Jack showed up last Friday with a new set of tires and some misc. tools and got the trailer all ready to go. The lights all worked and hitch sat nice and level behind his big Sprinter van. He was going to check the bearings at several stops today just to keep an eye on them. Hope he has a great trip and meets lots of Correct Craft Fans along the way. An old wood boat behind a truck at fuel stops has a funny way of eating up a lot of time!

-------------

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 8:27am
Greetings from an Iowa rest stop. Free wifi at all rest stops here. Three days on the road east and many thumbs up from passers by. Bearing buddies are doing their job and if all goes well this package might just arrive on Saturday. Hit 100 deg. yesterday in Nebraska.

-------------

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 8:34am
All thumbs up Jack!! Continue on and I wish the rest of the trip is uneventful as well. Yes, I knew the Bearing Buddy's would help.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Keuka
Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:06pm
That's a pretty cool looking project. I hope you post a lot of pictures documenting the restoration. The craftsmanship displayed on this site is outstanding from hurricanes to surfboards and everything in between.

David

-------------
86 Martinique

Date Posted: June-29-2012 at 5:25pm
Little update, jack is now in Illinois on i80 with broken leaf spring, he did a quick fix and is still rollin eastbound!

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: June-30-2012 at 1:37pm
Give a heads up nearing exit 45 on I-90 and if I'm around I'll come down and say HI and get some pics for you and the group.

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Greetings from an Iowa rest stop. Free wifi at all rest stops here. Three days on the road east and many thumbs up from passers by. Bearing buddies are doing their job and if all goes well this package might just arrive on Saturday. Hit 100 deg. yesterday in Nebraska.

Wish I would have followed this thread closer. Sure would of tried to catch up with ya. It is still hot here!!!!

Date Posted: June-30-2012 at 8:11pm
Heard dad is on CT soil! Can't wait to be introduced to the finner!

Date Posted: June-30-2012 at 9:32pm
Tis true, the fin boat has completed another epic journey along with it's new owner. Many thumbs up on the road all the way across the states a feeling I've only gotten once before and that when riding in my old pal's 1932 five window coupe rod. Any ways I tethered the two spring parts back together with my boat hold down strap and cinched the whole package together. Rode it and checked frequently until I built enough confidence to run several hundred. Went through some rough road avoiding tolls in Ind. and Ohio and beat the holy crap out of the set up all the time worrying the other side would let loose. Kept telling the trailer what a fine job it was doing an essential part of the outcome. I have a few pictures to post eventually of the finner in some states for proof lol.

This was an epic twelve day adventure to be sure!

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 1:34am
Glad to hear you made it back relatively with no problems. What route did you take?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: john b
Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:29am
Good story about a very cute boat.
How many of these did they build. I very seldom see anything wood with fins. Amazingly, a guy I met several weeks ago pulled up to my dock today in a Yellowjacket with fins.

-------------
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Glad to hear you made it back relatively with no problems. What route did you take?

I took int 80 from Penn. out to Omaha where I picked up 90 and ran it all the way to Seattle. For the return trip I took 5 south from Seattle to Portland where I got on 80 for the long ride back. Dropped down on 25 for an overnight visit in Fountain, Colorado, and then back up to 80 east to complete the trip. I took state road 20 along Indiana and Ohio to beat the approx. 50 bucks in tolls

-------------

Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Good story about a very cute boat.
How many of these did they build. I very seldom see anything wood with fins. Amazingly, a guy I met several weeks ago pulled up to my dock today in a Yellowjacket with fins.

I like to think these fin boats are a bit rare. There sure aren't any around these parts. As for how many we're made that's a good question I would love to have the answer to. Regardless how many made there are fewer and fewer left of these old plywood boats because they just didn't last like the planked ones. This one has not been altered very much over the years with exception of the dog house made larger to cover the four barrel carb which replaced the two barrel set up. Brian did have the original carbs and he had them rebuilt, so I anticipate putting it back stock and a rebuild of the dog house. This should help the looks a lot.

-------------

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:28pm
I inquired about this boat, it was calling out to me for some love. Possibly the right boat at the wrong time. Glad to see it is getting a good home.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:53pm

-------------

Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 3:17pm
final shot of the atom skier in CT and a few of the makeshift repair that got me back here where I can control the repair costs better than on the road.........

-------------

Date Posted: July-01-2012 at 3:41pm
Beautiful photos. What an adventure!

-------------

Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 12:24pm
Finally catching my breath here and tying up the loose ends from the trip. Yesterday I removed the tire on the broken spring side to get back my strap which was pinched between the broken spring. Upon further inspection I realized the spring was in much worse condition than I had thought. Sometimes it is better not to know.

A few more pictures or the damage and then I will concentrate on missing parts I need to locate to put this oldie back in its original condition. I will be looking for an Aton skier tag that goes on the dashboard for one thing.. It looks as if the windshield is not original either.

-------------

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 3:07pm
Jack - you had another 500 miles of strap left!

Glad you got her home safe. Should be a fun project to complete. How is your other one coming?

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 4:27pm
I'm curious about your gas milage and if you have it set up to sleep in?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Jack - you had another 500 miles of strap left!

Glad you got her home safe. Should be a fun project to complete. How is your other one coming?

Glad you asked on the other one Chris, I bent most of the stock for the stem rebuild over a month a go. It sits in a spring form awaiting my use. I think the 1950 Utility will be the backbone of my meager collection and much as the fin is a head turner, the sound of the four banger flathead can't be compared. I expect to work on it again in September as I will be on holiday in Europe for much of the month of August. It may take a little time but I hope to use the atom skier as my every day ride lol in the next year of less

-------------

Date Posted: July-04-2012 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm curious about your gas milage and if you have it set up to sleep in?

The sprinter van is the best vehicle I have owned. Though not stylish, it is very comfortable and dependable. It delivers in the high twenties for mileage with the five cylinder diesel made by Mercedes, in fact the whole vehicle is made by those folks.it has a three quarter ton capacity and you can stand up in it everywhere in the back. I have an air mattress in the back which works very well along with a stocked cooler. The trip across was in excess of six thousand miles and I ran it up and down the east coast last year from fl to ct at least five times. What can I tell you? Need some more boats to fetch Gary!

-------------

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:02pm
+1 on the sprinter vans...had from new in 98 still running strong...5 cylinder turbos go on and on, the 4 pots are good but not as fast.
Great trip back with the fin boat they do get around

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: nautique frk
Date Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:11pm
Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !! Great pics whats up with the jacked up bug catcher motorbox ??

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:33pm
Great trip, cool adventure, good photos. When scrolling down, I half expected to see the atom in front of Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Wrigley Field, Washington Monument, world's biggest ball of twine.... Fun being able to take the time out for a boat related road trip.

-------------

Posted By: ultrarunner
Date Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:42pm
What did the round-trip cost?

Date Posted: July-06-2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !! Great pics whats up with the jacked up bug catcher motorbox ??

The doghouse was added on to because a PO converted the twin two barrels to a four barrel carb setup. Fortunately I do have the original two barrel setup and I plan to correct the situation as a priority. Will run it first on the four and shake out the cob webs.

-------------

Date Posted: July-06-2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

What did the round-trip cost?

I will try to tabulate final costs when the card statement comes. I anticipate the costs each way from ct to WA to be less than $500. In order to defray about $60.00 each way I took rt 20 in Indiana and Ohio to beat the tolls. Only other toll all the way is coming back on the Newberg/Beacon bridge crossing the Hudson,$1.50.

-------------

Date Posted: July-13-2012 at 12:35pm
Slow progress being made here towards an eventual splash for this boat I have worked so hard to bring east. The new springs are on order and in between my domestic chores I found time to drain the old gas and throw in a few new gallons. Last night I cranked it over and after a few stalled attempts she sprang to life. Runs like a charm as far as I can tell. I ran her for about half an hour with the garden hose attached. there is a hesitation on acceleration but I think this may have to do with the temp not being up and I am not sure if i can starve it for water to get the temp up for fear of damaging the pump. More to learn. I need to buy the teck manual.

-------------

Date Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:33pm
I have three woody CC's here and not a single one came with a plug for the thru hull drain. Whats up with that? Are these plugs scarce as hen's teeth? Seems as if I might be able to get one at a hardware store. Meanwhile in the cellar here avoiding the heat I have managed to alter and re-fabricate the doghouse that came on the Atom. The top ply had deteriorated badly and the trip east only made it worse so I did a quick fix to install a new top and remove the Batman wedge installed sometime back. Will have some pictures soon. Added a scoop to cover the Holley instead like one I saw on a brochure from a similar year. It was on a Starflite.

-------------

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 10:35am
Jack,
I'm sure glad to hear that your plans include getting the original two single barrel Carter YH carbs back on the engine. It will sure eliminate that funny looking dog house.    Daytona Parts has the kits for the YH's. I did mine about a year ago. Getting the float levels correct is the only thing you need to play around with. Do you have all the plumbing and linkage as well?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 11:20am

Jack,
I'm sure glad to hear that your plans include getting the original two single barrel Carter YH carbs back on the engine. It will sure eliminate that funny looking dog house.    Daytona Parts has the kits for the YH's. I did mine about a year ago. Getting the float levels correct is the only thing you need to play around with. Do you have all the plumbing and linkage as well?

Morning Pete, I have reviewed the carbs and intakesthat came with the boat. Looks like they have most everything however may be missing a couple linkage parts and plumbing. I think I will be best served waiting till I can come across a deal on another pair that I can cannibalize from. Ultimately I do want to get them back on the engine as they were intended. Having noticed the Starflite in the 59 brochure with the added scoop on the doghouse, it appears that CC did offer an engine option with a four barrel. Not really sure. Meanwhile with the batman wedge gone it looks a bit better.

-------------

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:44pm

-------------

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:47pm
Jack - You missed an opportunity to add cup holders!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:51pm

He hasn't finished it yet so there still is time to get the hole saw out!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 1:21pm
http://correctcraftfan.com/reference/1958_brochure/index.asp?page=06" rel="nofollow - Similar doghouse

-------------

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 1:32pm

Yea but I didn't forget to put the shelf inside to warm the left over chicken wings.

-------------

Date Posted: July-21-2012 at 4:09pm
The lady in that picture needs to sit down! Amazing what was promoted 55 years ago.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-23-2012 at 2:36pm
So glad it sprang back to life for you Jack! It ran when I brought it home, but had not been started in 3-4 years. Love the remodel on the dog house. That is such an improvement. Can't wait to see the Carters back on there with you ripping across the Lake!

-------------

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: July-29-2012 at 12:28pm
Nice to see you checking in on my progress Brian and glad you approve the dog house changes. Have the parts for the new spring replacement but no time to install just yet. Slowly working toward an eventual launch in September I think or else she may not go in till Florida. The doghouse came out much darker than I wanted so I need to hone in my staining skills before I replace the top deck this winter.

-------------

Date Posted: July-29-2012 at 12:35pm
Jack,
Did you use a grain filler/stain on the dog house? I find them pretty easy to use and blend to get the color even. Plus, without the grain filling on a open grain wood like mahoganies, you will never fill up the pores with the top coat.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-29-2012 at 1:34pm

Jack,
Did you use a grain filler/stain on the dog house? I find them pretty easy to use and blend to get the color even. Plus, without the grain filling on a open grain wood like mahoganies, you will never fill up the pores with the top coat.

I'm sure you are right on needing the grain filler Pete and I didn't. I consider the alteration a temp fix and used what I had around for the finish. Expect to be making a new box down the road. Think the original had a two tone stain with white stripes down the middle. I also need to determine the best way to run the fake filler lines, some have painted them and some had used caulk. What's best? Another problem I found is that the marine ply that I have had either a meranti veneer or some other which stains differently than mahogany. May need to seal the grain before staining.

-------------

Date Posted: July-29-2012 at 1:53pm
Jack,
If your seams are new and have crisp edges, the easy way I have found to finish them is slop the paint in them just before your last coat of spar. Then, hard block wet sand across the top. It will remove the paint slopped outside the seam. The caulk is only needed on real seams. Since you will be using ply, all your seams will be fake.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-30-2012 at 12:17am

Jack,
If your seams are new and have crisp edges, the easy way I have found to finish them is slop the paint in them just before your last coat of spar. Then, hard block wet sand across the top. It will remove the paint slopped outside the seam. The caulk is only needed on real seams. Since you will be using ply, all your seams will be fake.

The diversity of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me Pete,as soon as I read your advice for the lines I knew it was the way to go. I have even edge razored off the excess before wet sanding in similar situations way in my past. Thanks

-------------

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: July-30-2012 at 8:19am

Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !!

Saw a few of those when I made my trip to the US... Funny to see they are Dodges over there... That exact same van is the Mercedes Sprinter over here. Very common van here.

Great pics and trip. Looking forward on the next episode of this adventure...

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !!

Saw a few of those when I made my trip to the US... Funny to see they are Dodges over there... That exact same van is the Mercedes Sprinter over here. Very common van here.

Great pics and trip. Looking forward on the next episode of this adventure...

Hey Kristof, They are all made by Mercedes however here they are sold under the names of all three, including Freightliner. Same van and confusing. I love the mileage and comfort for a utility vehicle.

Glad you are enjoying my adventures with the new fin boat which rightfully deserves to be named Nomad.

-------------

Date Posted: July-30-2012 at 10:58am
I love the name.

-------------

Date Posted: September-24-2012 at 12:02am
As the summer winds down I have begun to make some small progress on the nomadic fin boat. With every intention of taking her south to winter over in Florida, the trailer with the broken spring was a priority. It has been repaired like new and just the hubs need servicing now. I found it near impossible to do a good repair with the boat loaded so I blocked it up and slid the trailer out. This accomplished I realized my opportunity was presented to get at least a coat of paint on the bottom. Not an easy chore ever but necessary. I have just started priming the bottom and will soon be filling screw holes and then the final coat. Pictures soon.

-------------

Date Posted: October-06-2012 at 10:04pm
You can't see it but she's smiling...

-------------

Date Posted: October-06-2012 at 10:27pm
Jack,
How do all the seams look? Are the screw fills popping due to the skin being loose to the frames or do you think just a moisture issue? Keep going!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 7:48pm
If you take the picture from the right angle, you can't even see the painted decks!! I can tell that she is smiling from here Jack. Keep up the great work and pictures!

-------------

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:13pm

Jack,
How do all the seams look? Are the screw fills popping due to the skin being loose to the frames or do you think just a moisture issue? Keep going!!

Pete, the skins seem to be pretty solid. I didn't give it the restoration type bottom treatment. just wanted to upkeep the bottom. Like most of em this age it would probably feel real happy with a 5200 job but not on my watch for this one. I hope to enjoy it for a while.

-------------

Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:26pm
More photos = more enjoyment. She looks great on blocks. All of the unique lines are visable without the trailer. I think I have fallen in love with the Nomad.

-------------

Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

If you take the picture from the right angle, you can't even see the painted decks!! I can tell that she is smiling from here Jack. Keep up the great work and pictures!

Hey Brian, Thought you'd be looking in to see if any progress. Still pushing to get boat and owner down to FL for the winter. Perhaps the meet at Dora? The painted decks do curse the boat for sure and that improvement will be the single most important one done in the near future.

By the way...was reading with earnest(read, wishing I was there)the article this weekend on Woody Boater about the Mahogany and Merlot annual event at Lake Chelan. Took me a couple reads to realize that you were in the article with I guess your Dad and cruising in that fine Tollycraft you have done such a nice job on. I expect to be at that event in the future so may see you there. It can be a very nice time of year in your part of the country.

-------------

Date Posted: October-08-2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

More photos = more enjoyment. She looks great on blocks. All of the unique lines are visable without the trailer. I think I have fallen in love with the Nomad.

I agree John, the boat takes on a different appearance than when on the trailer. Sort of like a swan with an attitude LOL. I do thank you for your interest and input.

-------------

Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 11:41pm
Where is the ole fin boat now?

Date Posted: November-10-2012 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

Where is the ole fin boat now?

Well, I'll take a guess at this one and would have to say it's safe and sound at home with Jack in East Granby, ct. It does pay to read entire threads!!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-11-2012 at 12:24am
Sorry Pete but I've got a gut feeling finner is in fla.

Burton

Date Posted: November-11-2012 at 11:34am
Burton seems to have some privileged information. It is true Big Whitey and the Nomad headed down the big north south turnpike to Oak Hill, Fl where Nomad will winter over and have her deck restored   Once I get her over to Orlando the big circle will be complete

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2012 at 12:08pm
.just a couple teasers.......

-------------

Date Posted: November-20-2012 at 1:40am
Another fin boat?
This looks similar! Only $24,997.00 more nice photos in the ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/271103626761" rel="nofollow - Feebay fin boat

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 1:03am
John, I like this boat but I like mine better. Less bells and whistles and more raw HP LOL. I do however hope the seller gets his price as it helps all CC woody owners in asset appreciation. The Florida weather has been good to both me and the fin boat and progress is being made on the deck fore and aft. A few pictures to follow any day now.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 2:29am
I find it really interesting that the motor cover on the ebay boat has a bump up in it too. It looks more like a late model Atom like I posted a photo of a while back. The trim on your boat makes the fins look a little more pronounced. I wouldn't wine about having either one on my lift! If I owned it I would pay money to lose the deck horns and spot light, but that is just my taste.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 11:22am
Good eye John. You picked out the things I like least about it also. My fins might be a bit higher but they are narrower at the bottom which makes a big difference in the look. I venture a guess that some of the chrome accessories and edging are not from the factory and the same applies to the cut-water.

This boat does offer a good example of bleached and natural finished areas referred to as "blond". I intend to do a similar treatment to mine with the new deck. Can't remember if it's Okume or Meranti marine plywood but I hope it gives a similar end result.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 11:34am
That boat is in the Diaries at least twice. What I like about that boat is that it has a 360 big block and that is why it has the bump up in the motor box. That's got to be one of the nicest wood Correct Craft in existance.

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:02pm
That 360 is a bruiser Bruce. No doubt both boats move right along. Can't wait to get mine out on the water. The Atom is a couple feet shorter so the 327 is a lot of motor crammed into a small sled. I am thinking they will perform similar. It is still a beauty as you say even after JohnB and I get done picking it apart.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:07pm
As far as all the optional bells and whistles, we are talking about an early 60's boat with fins...lol

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 12:57pm
....got me laughing on that one Bruce. Seriously, the fins are a necessity!

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 2:53pm
I am sure they were the precurser to the modern tracking fins!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: November-21-2012 at 10:05pm
They always come apart easier than they go together....

-------------

Date Posted: November-24-2012 at 11:33am
I am assembling the materials to reinstall the deck material in the next few weeks. I plan to fit and route out the details on the marine plywood and then CPES the bottom before installation. For the top treatment I will bleach first then stain the outer edges as it was to begin. Several questions follow;

-original fasteners were copper ring nails. I intend to use the same for the reinstall. Good idea, yes/no?

-what adhesive is best to adhere decking to frames?

-best stain-able hole filler?

- eventually need a grain filler that can be used in both the blond areas and the dark areas around the edge. some are already dark in color but think I need a stain-able type?

-need suggestions as to what stain color would be a reasonable match for the dark areas?

Thanks for any input

-------------

Date Posted: November-27-2012 at 2:59pm
Looking great Jack! Did you find any reason for the doubled up layer under the wind shield? Looks like the deck under was still intact.

The Tolly that we finished last year had plywood decks that were originally attached with ring shank nails. We used 5200 and micro pin nails since I didn't like the look of a 5d nail head in all that bright work. For the larger attachment points, we used Famo-wood filler which took the stain and varnish very well.

Looking foward to hear what others have to recommend for the grain filler on the blond areas as well as stain colors for the remainder. We just used Chris Craft colors on the Tolly which I love the color of but eager to hear if there is a true consensus on what Correct Craft colors are.

Keep up the great work and update photos!

-------------

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by FINS FINS wrote:

Looking great Jack! Did you find any reason for the doubled up layer under the wind shield? Looks like the deck under was still intact.

Thanks for the reply Brian.I think the PO did the patch to cover the bad crack on the port side as you may see in my pictures. Seems like the black paint may have been used to cover the brown adhesive used extensively to fill voids. I plan to use the 5200 where I can however on the fin areas I have wood on wood and no metal edging to cover the seam so I am worried that and 5200 that shows up in that seam would not take finish. Perhaps I'll 5200 in the center of the board and epoxy around the edges. Time will tell.

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 11:26am

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 11:57am
That's a great way to get to the dash wiring!

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 12:17pm

That's a great way to get to the dash wiring!

I can see it but I'm not touching it Chris! Good for the most part except a couple pieces of Romex cable I'd like to replace. Romex has no place in boat wiring.

-------------

Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 12:33pm
Blond areas of wood get a "natural" color of paste wood grain filler.

Wiring, I found CC use SO rubber cord in my Atom. Actually, it was common in wood boats back in the 50's.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-02-2012 at 1:34pm

Blond areas of wood get a "natural" color of paste wood grain filler.

Thanks for the information Pete.

You don't suggest the Romex cable is original do you? What should I use as a replacement to be more authentic? Seems to feed the electric fuel pump and nav lights.

-------------

Date Posted: January-26-2013 at 11:59am
Slow progress here in the Atom Skier "Fin" boat. The repairs have been made and loose structural members refastened in prep for the new deck material. All has been CPESed and the fitting of the new material is in progress. I have also purchased the new naugahide for the seats so, much to do in the next month. Fishing, shrimping and boating is taking much of my work time.

-------------

Date Posted: January-29-2013 at 1:59pm
That deck is gunna look fintastic!

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:11pm

-------------

Date Posted: February-01-2013 at 12:19pm
Looks great, Jack. Do you have a windshield for that boat?

Date Posted: February-02-2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Looks great, Jack. Do you have a windshield for that boat?

Thanks Bruce, I do have the plastic windshield that came with the boat. It might be original, but I am not sure. The classic one that was on the boat hull I got from you is much more desireable. Wish I had one. In my research I think I recall there were both options available. The plastic one has a lower profile also and no wing windows.

-------------

Date Posted: February-02-2013 at 12:16pm
I am presented with a new situation here as I progress. The gas tank had been blocked up on one end so I decided it should be down in the cradles provided. As I lifted and removed the blocks I realized why it had been done. The neck on the tank had been repaired at some point and the weld job had left the filler at an angle. The only way to get it through the deck was to block the tank. Question is do I try to get it bent back properly or get a new tank?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window