NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 14>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:53pm

The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 3:17pm
final shot of the atom skier in CT and a few of the makeshift repair that got me back here where I can control the repair costs better than on the road.........

The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 3:41pm
Beautiful photos. What an adventure!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 12:24pm
Finally catching my breath here and tying up the loose ends from the trip. Yesterday I removed the tire on the broken spring side to get back my strap which was pinched between the broken spring. Upon further inspection I realized the spring was in much worse condition than I had thought. Sometimes it is better not to know.

A few more pictures or the damage and then I will concentrate on missing parts I need to locate to put this oldie back in its original condition. I will be looking for an Aton skier tag that goes on the dashboard for one thing.. It looks as if the windshield is not original either.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 3:07pm
Jack - you had another 500 miles of strap left!

Glad you got her home safe. Should be a fun project to complete. How is your other one coming?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 4:27pm
I'm curious about your gas milage and if you have it set up to sleep in?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Jack - you had another 500 miles of strap left!

Glad you got her home safe. Should be a fun project to complete. How is your other one coming?

Glad you asked on the other one Chris, I bent most of the stock for the stem rebuild over a month a go. It sits in a spring form awaiting my use. I think the 1950 Utility will be the backbone of my meager collection and much as the fin is a head turner, the sound of the four banger flathead can't be compared. I expect to work on it again in September as I will be on holiday in Europe for much of the month of August. It may take a little time but I hope to use the atom skier as my every day ride lol in the next year of less
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2012 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm curious about your gas milage and if you have it set up to sleep in?

The sprinter van is the best vehicle I have owned. Though not stylish, it is very comfortable and dependable. It delivers in the high twenties for mileage with the five cylinder diesel made by Mercedes, in fact the whole vehicle is made by those folks.it has a three quarter ton capacity and you can stand up in it everywhere in the back. I have an air mattress in the back which works very well along with a stocked cooler. The trip across was in excess of six thousand miles and I ran it up and down the east coast last year from fl to ct at least five times. What can I tell you? Need some more boats to fetch Gary!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:02pm
+1 on the sprinter vans...had from new in 98 still running strong...5 cylinder turbos go on and on, the 4 pots are good but not as fast.
Great trip back with the fin boat they do get around
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:11pm
Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !! Great pics whats up with the jacked up bug catcher motorbox ??
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:33pm
Great trip, cool adventure, good photos. When scrolling down, I half expected to see the atom in front of Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Wrigley Field, Washington Monument, world's biggest ball of twine.... Fun being able to take the time out for a boat related road trip.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 3:42pm
What did the round-trip cost?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Looks like the Van on American Pickers Show !! Great pics whats up with the jacked up bug catcher motorbox ??

The doghouse was added on to because a PO converted the twin two barrels to a four barrel carb setup. Fortunately I do have the original two barrel setup and I plan to correct the situation as a priority. Will run it first on the four and shake out the cob webs.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

What did the round-trip cost?

I will try to tabulate final costs when the card statement comes. I anticipate the costs each way from ct to WA to be less than $500. In order to defray about $60.00 each way I took rt 20 in Indiana and Ohio to beat the tolls. Only other toll all the way is coming back on the Newberg/Beacon bridge crossing the Hudson,$1.50.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2012 at 12:35pm
Slow progress being made here towards an eventual splash for this boat I have worked so hard to bring east. The new springs are on order and in between my domestic chores I found time to drain the old gas and throw in a few new gallons. Last night I cranked it over and after a few stalled attempts she sprang to life. Runs like a charm as far as I can tell. I ran her for about half an hour with the garden hose attached. there is a hesitation on acceleration but I think this may have to do with the temp not being up and I am not sure if i can starve it for water to get the temp up for fear of damaging the pump. More to learn. I need to buy the teck manual.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 2:33pm
I have three woody CC's here and not a single one came with a plug for the thru hull drain. Whats up with that? Are these plugs scarce as hen's teeth? Seems as if I might be able to get one at a hardware store. Meanwhile in the cellar here avoiding the heat I have managed to alter and re-fabricate the doghouse that came on the Atom. The top ply had deteriorated badly and the trip east only made it worse so I did a quick fix to install a new top and remove the Batman wedge installed sometime back. Will have some pictures soon. Added a scoop to cover the Holley instead like one I saw on a brochure from a similar year. It was on a Starflite.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 10:35am
Jack,
I'm sure glad to hear that your plans include getting the original two single barrel Carter YH carbs back on the engine. It will sure eliminate that funny looking dog house.    Daytona Parts has the kits for the YH's. I did mine about a year ago. Getting the float levels correct is the only thing you need to play around with. Do you have all the plumbing and linkage as well?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
I'm sure glad to hear that your plans include getting the original two single barrel Carter YH carbs back on the engine. It will sure eliminate that funny looking dog house.    Daytona Parts has the kits for the YH's. I did mine about a year ago. Getting the float levels correct is the only thing you need to play around with. Do you have all the plumbing and linkage as well?

Morning Pete, I have reviewed the carbs and intakesthat came with the boat. Looks like they have most everything however may be missing a couple linkage parts and plumbing. I think I will be best served waiting till I can come across a deal on another pair that I can cannibalize from. Ultimately I do want to get them back on the engine as they were intended. Having noticed the Starflite in the 59 brochure with the added scoop on the doghouse, it appears that CC did offer an engine option with a four barrel. Not really sure. Meanwhile with the batman wedge gone it looks a bit better.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:44pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:47pm
Jack - You missed an opportunity to add cup holders!

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:51pm

He hasn't finished it yet so there still is time to get the hole saw out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 1:21pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 1:32pm

Yea but I didn't forget to put the shelf inside to warm the left over chicken wings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 4:09pm
The lady in that picture needs to sit down! Amazing what was promoted 55 years ago.

Ben Franklin
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 2:36pm
So glad it sprang back to life for you Jack! It ran when I brought it home, but had not been started in 3-4 years. Love the remodel on the dog house. That is such an improvement. Can't wait to see the Carters back on there with you ripping across the Lake!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 12:28pm
Nice to see you checking in on my progress Brian and glad you approve the dog house changes. Have the parts for the new spring replacement but no time to install just yet. Slowly working toward an eventual launch in September I think or else she may not go in till Florida. The doghouse came out much darker than I wanted so I need to hone in my staining skills before I replace the top deck this winter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 12:35pm
Jack,
Did you use a grain filler/stain on the dog house? I find them pretty easy to use and blend to get the color even. Plus, without the grain filling on a open grain wood like mahoganies, you will never fill up the pores with the top coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 1:34pm

Jack,
Did you use a grain filler/stain on the dog house? I find them pretty easy to use and blend to get the color even. Plus, without the grain filling on a open grain wood like mahoganies, you will never fill up the pores with the top coat.

I'm sure you are right on needing the grain filler Pete and I didn't. I consider the alteration a temp fix and used what I had around for the finish. Expect to be making a new box down the road. Think the original had a two tone stain with white stripes down the middle. I also need to determine the best way to run the fake filler lines, some have painted them and some had used caulk. What's best? Another problem I found is that the marine ply that I have had either a meranti veneer or some other which stains differently than mahogany. May need to seal the grain before staining.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 1:53pm
Jack,
If your seams are new and have crisp edges, the easy way I have found to finish them is slop the paint in them just before your last coat of spar. Then, hard block wet sand across the top. It will remove the paint slopped outside the seam. The caulk is only needed on real seams. Since you will be using ply, all your seams will be fake.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 12:17am

Jack,
If your seams are new and have crisp edges, the easy way I have found to finish them is slop the paint in them just before your last coat of spar. Then, hard block wet sand across the top. It will remove the paint slopped outside the seam. The caulk is only needed on real seams. Since you will be using ply, all your seams will be fake.

The diversity of your knowledge never ceases to amaze me Pete,as soon as I read your advice for the lines I knew it was the way to go. I have even edge razored off the excess before wet sanding in similar situations way in my past. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 14>
  Share Topic