NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 14>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 10:01am

Finally got back to working on the foot pedal accelerator. As the boat came converted I was on my own to make a suitable linkage. This is my Rube mockup. I hope it saves me some time lying on my back in the helm.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 10:57am
Jack,
Yes, it looks like you are designing a "Rube"! Not that it's bad, sometimes needed and I admire your engineering. What was in the boat when you got it "converted"? I went back in the thread looking and couldn't find anything plus, some of your pictures have been deleted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:05am
Pete, the boat came with a Morse lever mounted on the gunnel. I do believe it was originally a foot pedal but no trace left of the mechanism. Has a column shifter.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:09am
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:12am
That's a lot of nice work jack. It is far more complicated than the original design.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:14am
Thanks Bruce. Wish I knew what was original as I figure there's an easier way to get there but all I can come up with. I styled it after the contraption on the Starflite.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:26am
I too wonder how it was set up originally? That single lever Morse doesn't look bad at all. You don't feel it came from the factory? Did you ever consider keeping it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:31am
I can take a picture in the coming week of one for you. They're simply a pedal that pivots in the middle and the throttle cable connects to the back of the pedal near the top. It sticks and you use your toe and heal to operate it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:34am
Jack,
I just noticed the holes close to the sole on the foot rest. Does it look like they were for a cable at one time?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:34am
Looks like it would be simple task to hook up the foot pedal to a Morse cable. Foot pedal could also be altered to look more "original" if you wanted.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 11:49am

This is the only picture I have of one. The back is a bracket that bolts to the kick board. The pedal pivots on a hinge in the middle. There's a notch in the top of the kick board for the cable. There's a holder connected to the frame and an old style cable with a brass ball connector attaches to the pedal. We had to cut the ball off the old cable, drill and tap it in order to adapt it to a modern cable.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 12:04pm
I have seen that style of pedal Bruce. Didn't see anything like it when I was looking online. Looks to be a much simpler setup for sure. The court is still out on whether my rig will work well or not. I am pretty sure the Morse was not original but not positive. Thinking most early 1960's boats may have had the foot pedal. In any case the conversion may have been done when they put the four barrel on and the installation was not very good. It was also very busy to handle the column shifter and throttle all right handed. Perhaps I am wrong but it didn't look original to your question Pete.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 12:07pm
Notice the setup on the 1958 Starflite.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 12:27pm
Jack, that pedal is the same one used throughout the 60's. Your hand throttle looks to be of correct vintage to early 60's. Unless they replaced the kickboard, there should be clear signs of a pedal having been there.

Do you want to sell that pylon?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 12:39pm
Notch is cut into the side of kickboard.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 6:17pm
It is a mystery then as to the original. Perhaps the Morse. No signs on the kick board of a pedal but signs of a cable routed under the floor on the starboard side. The rigging was amateurish but could have been messed up by the PO. I have saved all the Morse parts.
The pylon is not for sale Bruce. Though I haven't started the Straflite yet it is in my plans as soon as I finish the Junior Utility. Will most likely be my last big project.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 6:56pm
Well we have a new story in the storied past of the Skier. Got back to Ct last week and a few days in town said to Burton let's take it for a ride. Was evening coming on when we slid her in the water. I had the dog house open and as Burton pulled the trailer to park I slipped the front flame arrester off to hold the choke and cold start . This only necessary for cold start and have done it many times LOL. Well true to form and fitting to its name the fireball backfired and we had a pretty good fire going. Mad scramble for fire extinguishers and trouble with the one on board. Fellow at the dock made a quick dash and in the water with his. He got to the boat Burton following with our other extinguisher from the truck. All is well that ends well but we loaded up and went home. As it turns out most of the mess in the end was from extinguisher and had a couple melted wires not to bad. It has since been cleaned and I will finish installing the manual choke tonight. Have developed a healthy new respect for having good working safety equipment onboard and taking gas delivery systems very seriously when boat related. I have had carb fires on cars in the past. No big deal. This is serious business. The boat fired up last night and will be on the water again very soon. see you all there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 7:20pm
Jack!!!
I don't understand why you need to pull the flame arrestor to choke the engine! Well, anyway, I'm glad it wasn't real serious, no one was hurt and the boat is OK.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 7:34pm
Pete, the automatic chokes are pita so we never used them. Should have put the manual choke on a while ago. I have been pulliny the arrestor on the front carb and holding the choke closed to get cold start over with. Will not do that anymore.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 7:43pm
Come on Jack, get the automatics working They aren't any more difficult than any other Ford. Both mine work and I've never touched them. By the time you goof around with setting up manuals, you could have then working. Besides, manuals aren't original!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 7:48pm
You got me on the manuals not being original bubba but I still like them better ATM. The four barrel wasn't either that it had when I got it. One thing at a time think I'll manual choke it for the summer and take it from there. Boat is pretty much original at the moment I think.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 11:20am
I'm happy to hear the Fin Boat is ok. It would be tragic to lose it, it's very high on my list of all time favorite boats.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I'm happy to hear the Fin Boat is ok. It would be tragic to lose it, it's very high on my list of all time favorite boats.

I believe you are the one that gave it the name Nomad, John. Seems we have been bitten by the Fin bug. Would be a shame to lose the old girl after chasing around for it and with it for a few years now. This fire was a real eye opener and there were some lessons learned.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:05pm
I need to repack the shaft log and probably rudder as well. There a couple different size ropes. Wondering if anybody might know which I would have so I can get it ahead of time. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:27pm
Jack,
I'm 99% sure it will be 1/4".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 12:55pm
Do yourself a favor and buy enough 3/16" to do the job as well... Better to have it on hand just in case. I can never remember which boat takes which size shaft vs rudder... and I'm not sure CC was all that consistent about it either.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 2:16pm
I have been following this thread, as most of us have, since it started....

Now, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to old things....the more original the better...

But I gotta say, before you drop another penny in that damn motor, or worse yet, burn the damn boat to the ground like you nearly did....

Yank that motor and put it in a nice display case. As soon as you finish that, pick up the phone and order yourself a nice new fuel-injected crate motor and tranny from your favorite manufacture, and be done with it!

There, fixed!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Now, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to old things....the more original the better...

But I gotta say, before you drop another penny in that damn motor, or worse yet, burn the damn boat to the ground like you nearly did....

Yank that motor and put it in a nice display case. As soon as you finish that, pick up the phone and order yourself a nice new fuel-injected crate motor and tranny from your favorite manufacture, and be done with it!

There, fixed!

I respectfully disagree. The 312 is a magical beast and the side drafts allow it to fit under the cover. Replacing it with a crate motor would be like ripping out its soul.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 4:57pm
I'll take both Tim and Pete advice and get both sizes. Between 5 CC boats Burton and I have likely there will be need for it sometime.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

There, fixed!

Hey Mark, I am pleased you have taken the interest to follow this thread. And more than once if you followed you know I have almost given up on this AMC 327. I am a stubborn Yank and can't help it, need to see it through. There are many side drafts out there and many AMC's were used by most manufacturers. Billy told me to bag it a long time ago but he is still running one. The combo of old school; boat and power not only looks right but sounds right as well. Think if I just wanted an everyday ride, and that day may come, I would just upgrade to Fiberglas and be done with it. But for now I am an old geezer and this boat fits me well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 14>
  Share Topic