NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 engine loping

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Gordon got some work done on the boat today and managed to get some video of idle speed bypass solenoid. Not great quality but should give you something to compare.

That's PERFECT! You even plugged the port with your fingers to bring the idle down. That is exactly what I'll do. I know we wouldn't be able to see it in the video, but I assume you can see the valve close slightly after start (where the idle would normally go from around 1000 back down to normal idle speed).

Anyway, thank you so much for doing that. I really appreciate it. I'm really hoping it is warm enough this Saturday that it will lope so I can do that test!
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 8:32am
Gordon got some work done on the boat today and managed to get some video of idle speed bypass solenoid. Not great quality but should give you something to compare.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 11:45pm
Mark, if you are able to take a video, that would be great. But please don't go out of your way to do so.

Thanks,
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 11:22pm
I'm a bachelor next weekend (wife and youngest daughter will be out of town), so it will be a Nautique orgy--tons of skiing, and all sorts of work on the boat (prop shaft alignment), replace heater core hot water circulation pump with bigger pump), pull analog tach (it bounces all over the place and when I slug it, it settles down so I figure there is something loose in it--don't care too much since I have Stargazer, but a couple of drivers haven't given it enough throttle to engage because sometime my analog tach can read 4k rpm when it is not up to 3k).

Anyway, hoping it is warm enough that it will lope since I can spend a lot of time at the pond playing around with it. My engine does the same thing (initial start idle around 1k rpm and then drops down to 650-700). It sounds like when the ISCV is wide open, it is around 1k and with it removed, it is a bit over 1k. I don't know if I'll get loping at 1k or not since cracking the throttle will keep it running (above loping RPMs) until it stops. But if the conditions are right and it starts loping, I want to immediately pull the ISCV off and restart the engine and see if 1). there is still any loping, and 2). whether the ISCV valve "lopes" (moves open and closed). I guess the other thing I could do is to manually block off some of the air flow with my thumb (after taking the ISCV off) to slow the engine down, and then see if it lopes at the normal "loping RPM" without the ISCV.

The next would be spark, but I don't know where I'll look for that. I guess I could put a timing light on one of the plug wires and see if a spark is always firing or not. But I'll do the ISVC tests first.

Good thing the boat runs great otherwise. And I can always avoid the problem by either opening the engine compartment when at the dock if the engine is going to be off for more than 15 minutes, or just skiing more (pulling someone every 15 minutes). So not a major problem, just annoying (and embarrasing when it is my turn to pull someone and it stalls when I'm trying to back up out of the dock....
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 11:06pm
Gordon I remember watching it actuate by just turning the key on and off. My engine always idles around 1000rpm for a short period on initial start before dropping back to 650-700rpm. The high idle is due to the ISCV being open. With the whole assembly removed the idle speed was just above the 1000rpm maybe 1100rpm from memory.

If I get a chance this week I will make a video of what mine does and you can then compare it's operation to yours.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 10:58pm
Hey Mark, no worries. I'm just glad that you found your problem with no starting after hard runs. At least if that happened to me at the north end of the slalom course, it would just amount to rowing to the other end where the launch ramp is. I would NOT want to be way out on some big lake somewhere knowing that could happen. :-)

I did have a question for you. When you pulled the ISCV, you said it idled with a slightly higher idle. Do you remember about what RPM it idled at? And also, how much does the ISCV move when you turn the ignition on? I'm curious as to if it moves to a different position between hot and cold. I guess I'll pull it and see what it does when cold when turning on the ignition, and then try it again when it is hot. Next weekend the weather is going to be back to normal temperatures for this time of the year (low 70sF (21-22c) rather than the 90sF (34-35C) we had yesterday, so I may or may not have a loping problem next weekend.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 10:40pm
Gordon sorry about the threadjack

That sounds like a good plan for the ISCV. Pinpoint test 3E10 in the GT40 manual gives you all the voltage readings required. Some of the readings require a breakout box on the 60 pin computer connector. When I was testing mine I found it much easier to look at the operation of ISCV than measure the voltages. Although I was looking for a bigger problem than just the rolling idle.

Another possibility could be weak spark. If you prove you have air and fuel it may be the next place to look.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 10:04pm
Just an update on the loping problem (since I started the thread). Now that we have had warm weather, it is hot start loping all the time with the following conditions:
1. Ambient air at least 75F (was 91 yesterday)
2. Engine hot (have pulled 2-3 sets in the course)
3. Boat sits with engine off for about 30 minutes with engine cover closed (while other two boats at course take their turn (boat rotation)). Gets quite hot (no air flow) in the bilge. If I rotate with only one other boat, then the 10-15 minute with the engine off is not long enough to cause the problem.

When engine is started, immediately starts loping, and most of the time it is severe enough that the engine stalls. The way to "resolve" it is to run the engine at a high idle (usually over 1,000RPM) for 30-45 seconds or so before dropping back to idle.

I have checked the ECM and there are no codes. I also have a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge on the engine. When it is loping, the vacuum pressure goes up and down (expected since the RPMs are going up and down). The fuel pressure goes up and down between about 32psi to about 37psi (also to be expected since as the vacuum changes, the pressure regulator will change the pressure).

What I expected to see is pressure dropping below minimum (32psi?) during loping, but it never did that, so it appears that the injectors are getting correct pressure at all times.

I have:
* cleaned the throttle plate
* cleaned the idle speed control valve
* run injector cleaner fluid through the fuel system
* Confirmed that the tube in the FCC is good (if it wasn't, I'd see low pressure)

At this point, I don't think it is related to fuel pressure, so the next thing is air.

I think the next thing I will do when the symptoms appear is to pull off the idle speed control valve (ISCV). Of course, that will make it run at a high idle (which might be the same as cracking the throttle slightly to rev at high idle, so that could mask if the ISCV is bad). But I might be able to look into the plunger in the ISCV when I first start the engine to see if it is moving open and closed. That would tell me if the ISCV is what is moving and causing the loping.

If so, the next thing would be to see if it is the ISCV or something before that. Does anyone know what voltage the ECM sends to the ISCV? I'm wondering if I could put a volt meter across the leads (when it is loping) and see if voltage is fluctuating.

Anyway, I'm getting lots of loping in these warm conditions, so will advise what I find out.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 11:21am
Brian you add the extra rows and I will update.

Looks like I need a new battery the Interstate has been in there since April 2004. Not bad, I can see why you US based people like these batteries.

While I had it out for testing and charging decided to check all the connections on the 50 amp EEC fuse circuit. Cut away the heat shrink from the fuse holder and found the crimped connections were still in good shape. Would prefer to see them soldered and a heavier gauge wire used. No way that wire was ever going to carry 50 amps over that distance to the breaker at rear of engine. But I doubt it draws much more than 10 amps considering the breaker it goes to is only 12.5 amps. Not sure why they would use a 50 amp fuse in the first place.

I will replace fuse holder at least. At the moment contemplating removing this circuit all together. Will chase this wire back under dash and see where it goes before ending up at the EEC 12.5 amp breaker. I will email Correct Craft and PCM and see if they can provide any info on retrofit mentioned previously that replaced this circuit.

89 Ski

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 1:24pm
Lewy, would you mine weighing in here with the problem and fix:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

I can add a new row in the spreadsheet for EEC Relay.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 5:41am
Update had the boat out for four days over the Easter break. Put almost 20 hrs on the meter without the problem reoccurring. Looks like it was the EEC relay.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 9:42pm
Thanks! It's in my Amazon shopping cart! :-)
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 10:10pm
It plugs straight in the the EEC tester connector above the relays.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:41pm

This is the Code Reader Gordon the book that comes with the code reader has a lot better run down of the fault codes than the GT40 manual in reference section.

Thanks Mark. One question: Does it come with a cable to plug into the port on the GT40, or do I need to order an extension cord for it? I have a compter-based ODB++ reader and of course the plug for that looks nothing like the one on the GT40.

Thanks,
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 9:54am
This is the Code Reader Gordon the book that comes with the code reader has a lot better run down of the fault codes than the GT40 manual in reference section.

Joel my wiring looks factory all the liquid insulation is still on all the breakers. Would be nice to see the PCM Bulletin that was issued it would clear up what was done.
There must be more to it than just that wire. Seems weird to run that wire back to the dash when the wire on that breaker already goes there via the 10 way harness connector. The wire from the inline fuse probably appears at the dash harness connector and they have done something under the dash with this circuit. I am leaving my inline fuse EEC wire standard at the moment to see if the fault has been rectified.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 4:35am

Plugged the code reader in and found a continuous stored code 15 (Power interruption to EEC computer).

What code reader do you use?
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 6:38pm
You didn't. But I saw a reference to replacing the current wire with an unfused wire above and figured I'd chime in.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

My understanding of it is that the wire from the battery is eliminated entirely (not just replacing the wire with a fuse with another wire without one).

Correct. Hope I didn't suggest to the contrary.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 5:57pm
My understanding of it is that the wire from the battery is eliminated entirely (not just replacing the wire with a fuse with another wire without one).
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:34am

Joel where is the on/off/bilge toogle switch located in the engine bay or up at the dash?

Up at the dash in my case. The switch cuts off all systems in the boat including the push-button/keyless dash which is a parasitic load on the battery. Relevant only to the 2000+ "smartpod" boats but probably not terribly unlike the ignition breaker on the older boats.

I remember when I went to test-drive this boat they still had the positive lead with the inline fuse at the battery. It gave us trouble on the test drive so the dealer I bought it from explained the fix to me and had it done before I brought the boat home.

Just took another look at the wiring and my 12.5 breaker is definitely unmolested. Both connections on it are still plasti-dipped from the factory. Both wires on the 12.5 run neatly into the wiring loom, complete with the woven protective sheathing on them both. There's no way this fix involved that breaker directly in my case- could someone have messed with the wiring on your boat? If not, perhaps the unfused side of the 12.5 breaker is powered via the dash somehow and that's why the new wire on my boat goes forward. Donno.

The red wire with the crimped eyelet on the 60 amp breaker (in the picture) is the ONLY non-factory wire/connection on the whole thing FWIW, and it does go forward to the dash area on my boat.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:57am
Joel where is the on/off/bilge toogle switch located in the engine bay or up at the dash?

If I was to rewire mine I would run a 6-8 gauge wire from the main battery cable terminal on the power assist relay to the 12.5 amp breaker. This small run of wire less than 1 foot would replace the current wire from the battery box to the 12.5 amp breaker.

89 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:19am
Thanks, Joel. I think I have someone lined up to do the fix for me for lunch and some beer.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 10:10pm
Here you go. You can see the wire tied to the fused side of the 60A breaker (with yellow eyelet crimped on). Now, in my boat's case since I have the electronic dash this wire goes forward to the On/Off/Bilge toggle switch that the electronic dash boats have.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 9:00pm
Joel would also like to see the pictures or original bulletin. It does seem a complicated way of powering the EEC when there already is the main battery cable located right there on the power assist solenoid.

89 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 7:43pm
I'd love to see a picture of the wiring, Joel. Mine still has the fuse. My understanding is that you do a couple of jumpers on the breaker panels. Do you lose the wire to the battery altogether?

I haven't had problems with the fuse. But by removing it, I would never have problems with it.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:11pm
Lewy, just as an FYI there was a service bulletin (?) released a while back which eradicates that extra power wire and inline fuse. Essentially the power is instead wired directly to the fused side of one of the push breakers above the engine computer. That inline fuse in the battery compartment is a common source of GT40 problems but I always thought it went to the fuel pump relay. Learn something new every day! I can snap a pic of my wiring on that bracket if you want as I had the fix done by the dealer.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 8:59am
Guys went out the weekend and after 2hrs of hard running turned the boat off and sure enough no restart. Tried to restart with some throttle and then removed ISC assy. Still no start the only way to get a restart was max throttle it would restart and run rough until it cleared. I have now ruled out the ISC-BPA. With max throttle the throttle position sensor would probably have been signalling the computer to apply max duty cycle to the injectors making it harder to clear the rich condition.

Plugged the code reader in and found a continuous stored code 15 (Power interruption to EEC computer). Removed 60 pin plug from computer and found some oxidised pins. Cleaned them roughly but a proper clean would need to wait till boat was back on dry land with correct cleaning agents. It restarted but it had probably a 30-45 mins to cool down with the engine cover raised.

It is looking like a heat soak problem with a bad high resistance connection some where. Although this is the first time it has had a stored error code. Maybe the problem is getting worse though.

After some research and investigating found that the EEC has it's own power wire run directly from the battery. It has a 50 amp inline fuse also in the battery enclosure. Always wondered where that extra power wire from the battery terminal went. This power wire runs back to the 12.5 amp cct breaker on the EEC computer bracket then to the EEC relay also mounted on the EEC bracket. The RHS relay when viewing from the rear is the EEC power relay the LHS relay is the fuel pump relay. The EEC power relay supplies power to pins 37 and 57 of the EEC connector. Interestingly it also supplies power to the fuel pump relay activation circuit. The EEC then supplies the ground to complete this circuit and start the fuel pumps. The 15 amp cct breaker on the EEC bracket is the power source for the fuel pumps.

I cleaned up all the contacts but did not find any real bad connections that may have been causing the problem. The 60 pin connector had a couple of pins with white deposits but nothing really substantial. I had a spare relay so I have replaced the EEC relay with it as the HR joint may have been inside the relay. Will see how this goes on next trip out. Will take my voltmeter along with the code reader.

89 Ski

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 6:31pm
Wow, all I can say is I'm damn impressed with what you guys have come up with so far- lewy and slmskrs especially. Great work so far. I have nothing to add, but I'm staying tuned because this is a really interesting thread!

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:56pm
We've had rain the past two weekends and it's supposed to rain on Saturday. I need a few warm days to have the correct environment for the engine to lope when hot. I have my fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge already connected so I can see what they are doing when it happens. I'll post again when I have some results or move further along in the diagnostics.
Stone_ld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone_ld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 9:44am
Well, playing role as mechanic is very tuf as repairing of vehicle is not so easy task. As to repair this engine loping is also very difficult, for it auto mechanics plays an important role and there are many online reviews for it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic