NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 Wildcat - 426 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 10:59pm
would you guys compare the wildcat hull to the 2001 hull? or bfn
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 11:23pm
More like the Barracuda hull, only wider. It rides nice and high with the bow out of the water.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 1:44am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

ok so who is gonna attach a hydrofoil to their nautique for our curiosity to be satisfied?

It's probably on Reid's mind every time he has a problem falling asleep!

Some people count sheep............
ReidP
1973 Mustang

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 2:09am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Wildcats should be pretty fast, I've seen lots of tabs on them, a buddy has one with a 390fe, it porpoises like a SOB. The motor was never healthy last year but just got rebuilt, WOT speet TBD.

I wonder if instead of the little tabs I've seen on these a set of good sized hydraulic tabs would keep it from porpoising, though I'd bet they scrub a bit of speed off.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 11:27am
Needing tabs doesnt necessarily translate into a fast hull... it just means the hull has a tendency to bounce. A little bounce is good, but too much, too early (lower speeds) is probably counterproductive... lots of Classics have tabs, and I dont think any are setting new speed records.

The Wildcat hull is definitely a different animal than a BFN, as that's a deep vee. Its closer to a 2001, but thats still a good bit different. Its a good sized boat, but a lot of the size is in its depth, and width above the waterline- the hull has a lot of "flare". The running surface is probably a good bit smaller than a 2001, so there is good reason to believe it will be good for 50mph with a stock big block... maybe a little more if it runs bow high.

Joe, as we approach 60mph, Im starting to be convinced that we're seeing the limitations of our steep propshaft angles. When I rebuild my 1gen, I want to go shallower- maybe 8-10deg... I believe Bill Burgess made a recommendation along those lines on here at some point. There were plenty of v-drive boats made with hardware in that range, so sourcing the parts shouldnt be too tough...

Edit: found it.

Originally posted by SS 201 SS 201 wrote:

You need a 9 or 10 degree strut angle, a prop that is positioned as close to the back of the strut and the blade about 1/4 of a inch from the bottom. A Prop that has at least 9 degrees of rake.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 1:05pm
True that on drive angle Tim. This is one cool old boat. I had the same windshield in my 70 Century Buccanner, Really nice on a hot day if you have a top for shade. open to full horizonal, 10 mph and a mist bottle of water equals air conditioning! If you can keep the boat under control with a modern prop you might get close to 60mph but I'd want a center fin does this have one? When I was young early 60's I saw a boat swap ends, the prop got to the surface from porpoising. Then walked around the boat on the surface. Driver suffered broken ribs from ice chest in front seat for balance. No more speed runs in boat till center fin installed and tabs.

munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 4:08pm
Would the Wildcat hull be similar to the 71/72 Marauder ??
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 4:39pm
As to the 2001 hull vs the wildcat. I do fundamentally agree with tim’s assessment the wildcat is bigger but not necessarily at the water line. The hull itself looks to have some hook at the chine (or maybe this one does after sitting on a trailer for years?) . I suspect it has a standard strut angle for a CC but it does have a strut with a skeg.. not the strut you would find on a smaller boat so it is possible. It also has a pretty sizeable rudder . Changing in the drive angle on one of these boats significantly might be improbable but simple vector analysis would yield that you would be much better off.. more force going into forward motion and less going into digging down the nose and lifting the back end. Which as noted above is not a good failure mode.   

I still believe that a lighter boat like a first gen SN might benefit from a steel inboard racing prop with significant rake. The rake may in fact lift the nose enough for it to be a game changer (5+mph improvement). It may also work on a smaller boat, but the boat and driver are more likely to survive the experiment in a longer boat.
Of course I have no interest in pursuing any of this stuff myself, not till one of you punks comes up with something faster than my towered tug boat anyway.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Of course I have no interest in pursuing any of this stuff myself, not till one of you punks comes up with something faster than my towered tug boat anyway.

Who is calling punks? You mean 1 or 2 mph slower,.........and I'm a punk. Meet me on the SJRR, and I'll show you a punk,...punk.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Who is calling punks? You mean 1 or 2 mph slower,.........and I'm a punk. Meet me on the SJRR, and I'll show you a punk,...punk.     

How about <1mph slower, am I still a punk?

You just wait til we get the BBC back on the water with a roller cam and some real exhaust manifolds... you'll be thumbing through the Glenwood catalog in no time!

(Decision is still pending on the roller cam- but the exhaust is sitting here ready to bolt on.)

Im hoping to hold the crown for at least 5 minutes- at least until you find a home for that 383, or Reid gets the 427 1gsn done, or Jeff Connors finished his Separator (if I/O's even count)...

Mike, I bet the Wildcat hull is pretty similar to the Marauder that followed it. Just a wild guess though- Ive never seen the latter in person! Ive crawled all over Reid's Tournament Skier (same hull as the Wildcat) and for 19', the boat is BIG.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 6:03pm
Finally a fire under you boys, Joe hasn't seen a transom in some time.

I/Os are their own division IMO
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 8:15pm
be careful Reid he is buying out all the competition
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 8:45pm
The Marauder I just picked up (orange one) is a huge boat for 19/20 ft
plus it has the Chrysler 440 in it

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 9:08pm
i'd love to see some pics of that marauder
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 9:37pm
I have a feeling you guys are going to find out what an outdrive looks like
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 9:37pm
boats with the same configuration with 4.3's will see 54
"the things you own will start to own you"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 10:22pm
of course with adj trim outdrives
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2012 at 11:44pm
Wildcat vs 2001,   Not even remotely similar.
Riley was on the right track.   They ride and drive about
like a really, really big Barracuda. Similar to a 19 Century Resorter.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 4:04am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Connorrsons has put a lot of work into firming up his transom, so hopefully you guys will at least be able to appreciate it.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Connorrsons has put a lot of work into firming up his transom, so hopefully you guys will at least be able to appreciate it.

As a founding member of the CCF "Competitive Racing and Performance" organization (CRAP, for short), I was asked to announce that a mandatory drag race must now be factored into all future speed contests and officially timed events. While certainly not the intention, this will most likely exclude any I/O powered, and many V-Drive powered boats from any official speed records.
Regretfully,
-The Committee
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 1:57pm
[QUOTE=reidp]

As a founding member of the

When I first started to read this and saw who posted it I thought it was a ad for the Hair Club for Men,I was going to join--
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

[QUOTE=reidp]

When I first started to read this and saw who posted it I thought it was a ad for the Hair Club for Men,I was going to join--

Gary,
All Reid needs is some transplanting work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think it's probably a light blue like Reid's old Mustang.

Bruce, you might have to be more specific!

Baby Blue:

Just so we're clear...regardless of what outfit is calling it....

That color is CAROLINA BLUE....GOT IT?!

GO 'Heels!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 5:55pm
The talk about these blue CC's sure has brought back some memories of my earlier years. Back when I was at Watercraft Sales (late 60's - early 70"s), We had a good customer who had a Cuda in the light blue. It had a white interior and I fell in love with that boat. However, the owner had two daughters that my eyes were more focused on!!! I'd be in the shop but when they came in, I would always make a point of going out to the gas pier and telling the gas "Jockey's" that I would take care of this customer. The sad part of the story is I never was able to get anywhere with ether of the girls! - Not even a date!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 7:57pm
Hey guys....on the subject of blue boats, there was also a Dresden Blue. Not sure which years it ran in production, but, I had an '83 Southwind BR in that color. It was a very light blue.

Also, I have seen a couple of Wildcats, and they are very cool boats. Also from that era, there was a Riviera. It seems to have a very similar hull design as the Wildcat but is a 20' boat.      
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 9:22pm

[QUOTE=reidp]

Gary,

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

[QUOTE=reidp]

Gary,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2012 at 5:59pm
This may or may not be a handy helpful link for some
of you card holding C.R.A.P. Members.

Worlds First Purpose Built Drag Boat Lake

Located about 38 miles from my brown leather recliner.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2012 at 9:07pm
Maw Maw Reid ?? That is not a good look !! :)
66Wildcat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2012 at 7:51pm
Nice boat! The horns on the port side are the same as the horns on my 66 Wildcat. All of the other hardware looks the same as on mine except for the anchor light fixture. Now I'm thinking mine might not be original. As for performance, I only get 43 mph, but my engine is a bit smaller (401 Buick nailhead) and I don't think the prop is the right one either. Good luck with the restoration.

66 Wildcat, 401ci Buick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic