Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 1:39pm

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 5:33pm
Concerning the rear seat pads. I am assuming the seat back pad originally hung from the nine snaps at the top and the bottom was unsecured, and the bottom pad was secured by the three snaps in the radius transition from the seat bottom to the back. As I mentioned mine had a velcro strip for mounting the bottom pad. Here are a couple of photos of the set-up. I like the style of the green seats, but it's facing the wrong way. The pattern looks similar to the brown one like mine up in WI. The green color wouldn't go well with my boat. Is that Reid's sweet olive green Mustang? Gary's is a natural with blue. Gary, if you have a photo of your new interior you can send I would appreciate it, and if possible get some measurements on the stripes. I believe yours is very similar to the green boat? Funny thing Gary, the pads in my boat look very similar to your old upholstery., but then how many ways can you make a pad. I grabbed a screen shot of your old upholstery from the youtube "Correct Craft Mustang SS on a beautiful day".

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 6:48pm
Some of the back seats had throwable cushions that were encased in a vinyl cover that snapped to the back seat. Thowable cushions were approved flotation devices in the '60's and they doubled as padding and as your required PFDs.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Some of the back seats had throwable cushions that were encased in a vinyl cover that snapped to the back seat. Thowable cushions were approved flotation devices in the '60's and they doubled as padding and as your required PFDs.

I duplicated the trowables with upholstered covers in my Atom. Too bad wearable PFD's are now required. That big bag in an Atom is a PITA!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:01pm
That was a pretty ingenius way to store them. That big bag in any of these boats is a PIA.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:08pm
what about just carrying inflatables
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:45pm
Do you want me to send it or is here ok John? Trouble is I don't have
much down here.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

what about just carrying inflatables

What would we use for extra dock bumpers??

The USCG regs require testing once a year meaning new charge kits every year which is doable but a PITA!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 8:12pm
With the fiberglass back seat a Mustang has 0 storage space. Where do you get an airline size sunblock?
Thanks Gary. Looks beautiful. That's what I would like to do but in a different color combo. Pretty convinced it's plenty close to how they came.

SkiNautique4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNautique4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:33am
That looks like a beautiful boat!
Patrick Carlin
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 4:18pm
John,
Hurry up. We've been waiting for years to see this thing.. It has to be ready for GL....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 5:22pm
Dave, I hate to keep you waiting so long for a mediocre result. This is going to be more like a repair, clean, buff, primp, and detail job, not a restoration. It needs to see water this year, it has been far too long. I won't be happy until it pulls a barefooter (not me). I have planned another night spinning the buffing wheel in the garage. I may finally get to where I need to remove this tonight.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 5:48pm
Perfect John, keep pounding away !! No sea doo this year !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 5:57pm
John,
The DNR registration expired in 03 but was that a 2 or 3 year sticker??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,

Wisconsin is a three year sticker, but you know that. I carefully peeled it off and found this underneath. Pretty much confirms the POs story. if you remember, he bought it from your friend B.C. from up in WI who bought and flipped it to this guy.
My Mustang is still in the "diaries" on this site. I hope it stays there because I haven't copied the listing yet.
I believe the description includes some artistic license, but I liked the PO and I knew what I was getting so everything is peas and carrots here in Greenbo, and his too, I believe..

My Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

John,

Wisconsin is a three year sticker, but you know that.

No, the recent ones as of about 15 years are 3 years but the old ones are 2 years. If you have an old registration (I have 3 -2 Alumacrafts and the X) then they are still 2 year terms.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:56pm

John,

No, the recent ones as of about 15 years are 3 years but the old ones are 2 years. If you have an old registration (I have 3 -2 Alumacrafts and the X) then they are still 2 year terms.

Must be before my time Pete. All my WI boats are 3 year and the stickers on the Mustang as far back as 1997 bear that out (2000 & 2003 expiration). I didn't buy up there until 2001, you have been lucky enough to have found your Northwoods dream long ago.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 10:58am

John,

Must be before my time Pete. All my WI boats are 3 year and the stickers on the Mustang as far back as 1997 bear that out (2000 & 2003 expiration). I didn't buy up there until 2001, you have been lucky enough to have found your Northwoods dream long ago.

HMM, most I could do on my mustang was 2 years back in 2013. My boat expires March 31st 2015.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 2:36pm
The time frame for completion of the Mustang is again in jeopardy. My wife, Jan, started having back and leg pain with some numbness suddenly about 2 months ago. It progressed rapidly and she is almost immobile right now and in constant pain. Jan is having spine surgery on Monday (03/08) to remove the ruptured disc that is pressing on the nerve bundle, and fuse L4-L5. I have my hands full caring for her right now and she will need a lot of care after the surgery. At some point during recovery she will be happy to get me back into the garage working on the Mustang, but that is a little bit off. The good news is the surgery is fairly common and has a high success rate.This comes as a complete surprise to us because Jan is physically fit, thin, and very active. Although I am reassured by the surgeon and the other doctors involved, I am still very concerned. Jan is my whole life.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 2:47pm
John, we'll keep you and your wife Jan in our thoughts.

Our family has been through some health issues the last few months and know it's not fun to deal with this kind of thing. Stay positive, sounds like she'll recover just fine!

The boats can wait!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 2:57pm
Scary stuff John, glad to hear the prognosis is good. Hope she mends quickly and starts kicking you out of the house soon!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 3:25pm
Sorry to hear that John,Jan and you are in our thoughts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 3:49pm

The time frame for completion of the Mustang is again in jeopardy. My wife, Jan, started having back and leg pain with some numbness suddenly about 2 months ago. It progressed rapidly and she is almost immobile right now and in constant pain. Jan is having spine surgery on Monday (03/08) to remove the ruptured disc that is pressing on the nerve bundle, and fuse L4-L5. I have my hands full caring for her right now and she will need a lot of care after the surgery. At some point during recovery she will be happy to get me back into the garage working on the Mustang, but that is a little bit off. The good news is the surgery is fairly common and has a high success rate.This comes as a complete surprise to us because Jan is physically fit, thin, and very active. Although I am reassured by the surgeon and the other doctors involved, I am still very concerned. Jan is my whole life.

Wow Jon, sorry to hear about this, hope everything turns out for the best.

Also, feel free to steal my seats from my boat if you need any measurements.

John,

Also, on your back seats are you paying some one to upholster the back bench? Reason I ask is would you mind making a 2nd one for me? I need new upholstery badly for my back seat. I'd obviously split the bill with you and you can seriously flat out take my back bench cushions for the exact measurements. I believe the one i took out of my 1968 is original.

1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 3:59pm
Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement, they are appreciated. The boat will still make it to Green Lake barring any complications.
Peter, I will not be using the rear seat pads for my Mustang. They are in very good condition including the foam padding inside. You are welcome to them if you want them when I am done. The upholstery is one of the things I can have done while Jan is recouperating. I can drop them off at your place in the spring. They are probably not original but are the same style I have seen on some original pads. They are medium blue with no pattern.
LMK.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:08pm
John,
Please get in touch if you need any help. I did start a job this morning but I still have weekend time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 8:59pm
what did you find Pete   (sorry to threadjack)
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

what did you find Pete   (sorry to threadjack)

Peter,
Tim just asked me the same and her's the reply:
"I was actually called back to my old job. They had a major problem with the chilled water system last Saturday morning I designed. There's at least 500' of schedule 80 PVC pipe that exploded. At this point I as well as others feel there was a breach between the hydraulics and the chilled water on one of the presses. Most likely in a heat exchanger that caused the chilled system to exceed the 1000 PSI burst pressure. It's a big mess to say the least. We are in the process of bringing in portable rental chillers and running temporary piping. Thankfully no one was hurt. Shards of PVC pipe were driven into the cement block walls!
Pete"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 12:43am
Wow! Nice to hear you are back with a mission Pete.
Also, I really appreciate the kind offer. I think I have everything covered. With luck Jan will be back by the time the water is soft up north.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 11:45am

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement, they are appreciated. The boat will still make it to Green Lake barring any complications.
Peter, I will not be using the rear seat pads for my Mustang. They are in very good condition including the foam padding inside. You are welcome to them if you want them when I am done. The upholstery is one of the things I can have done while Jan is recouperating. I can drop them off at your place in the spring. They are probably not original but are the same style I have seen on some original pads. They are medium blue with no pattern.
LMK.

John, i texted you back last night, but definitely sounds great. Feel free to just toss them in our boat house at any point. that would be the easiest way I think for you and for me, but if you have another idea let me know.
1970 Mustang
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2015 at 1:08pm
John,

I had a pretty radical ruptured disk about 15 years ago. Same deal but I didn't need anything fused. Yeah, there is a little bit of recovery time, but otherwise, it should be pretty smooth sailing. Had the surgery in October and was footin' again the next summer. A ski buddy of mine across the lake just had surgery a month or so ago. His also included fusing some disks. I checked in with him just a few days ago and he is coming along fine. She'll do great. The immediate response is how great it feels that the pain is gone. No worries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1819202122 54>
  Share Topic